Talk Morgan

Heated Seats

Posted By: LightSpeed

Heated Seats - 07/04/19 01:57 PM

So how do you all maintain and or protect your heated seat from rain?
Posted By: PaulV

Re: Heated Seats - 07/04/19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By LightSpeed
So how do you all maintain and or protect your heated seat from rain?
I don't. Don't turn it on in rain, and so far no issues with the switches causing a fuse to blow. If I was paranoid I might duct tape the switches ... or add an extra in-line switch to isolate the heater circuit in case of deluge.

I wonder if any of our NZ-expedition friends had any rain-related issues in their deluge driving a few weeks back?
Posted By: Rog G

Re: Heated Seats - 07/04/19 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By PaulV
[quote=LightSpeed]

I wonder if any of our NZ-expedition friends had any rain-related issues in their deluge driving a few weeks back?

The cars behaved faultlessley in the rain, we were driving one day in the torrential rain and the cars then sat in the open, tonneau covers on, when it was raining at the rate of 100mm/4 inches per hour as all roads were closed. They all started as if normal after the rain eased, one of the cars had heated seats with no problems. There was water in the footwells and the boot which needed wiping out but apart from that all was fine.

Re: Heated Seats - 07/04/19 04:10 PM

I’ll be darned, I would have thought it was an issue and am pleasantly surprised that it was not!

I could see laying something over the switches to keep water from just running into them.

Sort of puzzles me why Morgan didn’t put the bum warmer switches on the dash like the Mini Coopers. I could see a relocate of switches and using the vacant holes for auxiliary power points.

Rog G, that was a big rain! 4”/hr is significant.
Posted By: Inge

Re: Heated Seats - 08/04/19 02:39 AM

I have one heated seat not working, naturally it is the drivers side. The little pilot light in the switch does not glow. I could not find a blown fuse. Have not had time to trouble shoot further, could be an open circuit in the heating element.I have been through lots of rain with this one, but the passenger side works ok.

Re: Heated Seats - 08/04/19 02:50 AM

Yours is 5 years old so I suppose that is not terrible. Did you notice the failure when driving and your backside got cold or it just didn’t turn on one day?
Posted By: Bunny

Re: Heated Seats - 08/04/19 06:51 AM

Originally Posted By Inge
I have one heated seat not working, naturally it is the drivers side. The little pilot light in the switch does not glow. I could not find a blown fuse. Have not had time to trouble shoot further, could be an open circuit in the heating element.I have been through lots of rain with this one, but the passenger side works ok.
I had a similar problem with a 2014 car. It turned out that one of the heater cables had been pinched by one of the bolts that attaches the gearbox cover to the chassis, causing it to ground out. Those bolts were unnecessarily long which was part of the problem. I was able to trim 10-15mm from the bolts which still allowed them to serve their purpose without interferring with the wiring. If yours is the same problem then you should be able to spot it from underneath the car.

Re: Heated Seats - 08/04/19 11:33 AM

Good tip Bunny :-)
Posted By: PaulJ

Re: Heated Seats - 08/04/19 01:35 PM

Has anyone fitted aftermarket heating pads, if so do they work and where can I buy some?
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Heated Seats - 08/04/19 01:52 PM

Paul, yes & yes, bought pads & switches from a trimmer, but be aware it involves a full 'leather off' jobbie

Mine was on a very old bench seat style & I was replacing all the rusted springs & horse hair with new foam anyway, six years later still work well
Posted By: KenShapiro

Re: Heated Seats - 08/04/19 02:42 PM

Uh... motorcycle have had heated seats, and grips for decades. 😊
Posted By: britmog

Re: Heated Seats - 08/04/19 03:20 PM

Heated bums in Morgans, heresy. crazy2
Posted By: rcmatt

Re: Heated Seats - 08/04/19 09:17 PM

yeah, it is not my butt that gets cold crazy2

Re: Heated Seats - 09/04/19 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By britmog
Heated bums in Morgans, heresy. crazy2

Did you ever think that the switches and their location would make a good access point to auxiliary power that is switchable?

I am not opposed to being a heretic and having my bum heated but I have had a lot of cars and ordered many of them new and never found the heated seat to be something I missed. However I am much older now and this is an open cockpit, very open cockpit. I was wondering why with the engine up front that Morgan did no come up with a plan to duct some of that heat to the footwell, so the heated seat was the next best thing. I might not ever use it but it is an option that many people seem to want in their open vehicles.
Posted By: rcmatt

Re: Heated Seats - 10/04/19 10:19 AM

What I have (besides long johns) is heated gloves and vest. Be sure to get a thermostat to adjust the heat
Posted By: ShaunD

Re: Heated Seats - 10/04/19 10:54 AM

I don’t use my heated seat that much but am glad to have it on the very cold days!
Posted By: Bunny

Re: Heated Seats - 10/04/19 12:09 PM

People with them will be very grateful this weekend in Shropshire!
Posted By: PaulJ

Re: Heated Seats - 10/04/19 07:28 PM

I remember driving to work in the late '60's in my old Ford Anglia E93a, 3 speed, with no heater at all, dressed up in overcoat, gloves, hat scarf etc etc. The screen would freeze solid with fog - inside and outside and I would drive along with my head out of the window to see where I was going. What fun!

We've never had it so good these days................
Posted By: planenut

Re: Heated Seats - 10/04/19 08:24 PM

A windscreen AND a window....luxury!!
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News