Talk Morgan

First Oil Change

Posted By: linklaw

First Oil Change - 30/06/20 09:48 PM

I did my first oil change today on my 2016 Superdry Edition at 1000 miles. I used an oil vacuum to evacuate the reservoir, emptied the sump, cleaned the magnetic drain plug and changed the filter. After draining the reservoir, I replaced the drain bolt with a quick drain spigot. Filled her up with 6 quarts of Mobil 1 V Twin 20w50 and started her up. No leaks, no strange noises. I saw a small amount of magnetic gunk on the drain plug. It looked normal for a new engine. The only small hitch was I burned my elbow on the hot exhaust while spinning the filter off. Long sleeve shirt next time should solve that problem. The next change should even be easier with the quick drain spigot. Off for a ride now.

John
Posted By: britmog

Re: First Oil Change - 30/06/20 10:43 PM

Not sure why you would want a quick drain spigot on the sump (potential problem too), much easier to fit a drain on the oil feed line then no need to vacuum evacuate the reservoir?
Posted By: Sportster

Re: First Oil Change - 30/06/20 11:13 PM

[Linked Image]

I have a quick release valve at the tank and clamp tubing to the quick release valve and drain the tank directly without mess or much effort. I only hand tighten the oil filter so never need a tool to remove it.
Posted By: kankeL

Re: First Oil Change - 30/06/20 11:54 PM

Emil at morgancustom.net sells an excellent in-line oil drain. Cannot beat it
Posted By: linklaw

Re: First Oil Change - 01/07/20 12:59 AM

I installed the drain valve on the oil reservoir, not the sump. Misstatement on my part.

John
Posted By: LightSpeed

Re: First Oil Change - 01/07/20 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by britmog
Not sure why you would want a quick drain spigot on the sump (potential problem too), much easier to fit a drain on the oil feed line then no need to vacuum evacuate the reservoir?

+1. And I will second KankeL’s recommendation, I use it since it is the lowest point t in the system and drains that hose as well.
Posted By: rcmatt

Re: First Oil Change - 01/07/20 11:58 AM

I have the easy spigot as well. Beats having to climb under the engine... I say climb.... more like get down into a position from which I cannot recover

Re: First Oil Change - 01/07/20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by rcmatt
I have the easy spigot as well. Beats having to climb under the engine... I say climb.... more like get down into a position from which I cannot recover

Think LIFT, it sure helps with these vertically challenged little things.
Posted By: AZJowett

Re: First Oil Change - 01/07/20 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by kankeL
Emil at morgancustom.net sells an excellent in-line oil drain. Cannot beat it

+1. And I will third KankeL’s recommendation
Posted By: Dutch

Re: First Oil Change - 01/08/20 03:32 PM

How difficult is it to install Morgancustom.net oil drain ?

Procedure ?
Posted By: kankeL

Re: First Oil Change - 01/08/20 03:43 PM

Cut the oil line under the car, drain oil, install the in-line oil drain, tighten clamps. Very easy.
Posted By: AZJowett

Re: First Oil Change - 01/08/20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dutch
How difficult is it to install Morgancustom.net oil drain ?

Procedure ?

I am helping Emil with his installation guides. Have paused right now due to 115F+ temps but will be back on it when it cools off.

I have this mod to do myself and it looks very simple. He did finish the detailed installation guide for this so best to contact him direct.

Re: First Oil Change - 01/08/20 06:26 PM

Emil's installation guides are very clear and easy to work through, the oil drain installation as KrankeL says is very simple and easiest install.
Posted By: Landy

Re: First Oil Change - 02/08/20 09:56 PM

What holds the oil drain valve in position? Or is it just suspended between the lines?

Re: First Oil Change - 02/08/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Landy
What holds the oil drain valve in position? Or is it just suspended between the lines?

The drain is a screw plug into the light weight block which has two male connectors to go into the ends of the pipe which are then clamped tight. If you go Emil's site you can see pictures of it:

www.morgancustom.net

Re: First Oil Change - 03/08/20 02:39 AM

[Linked Image]

This is mine with extra zip ties.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News