Talk Morgan

P101 Disc Wheels

Posted By: Black Adder

P101 Disc Wheels - 06/07/21 08:07 PM

Can anyone enlighten us to the weight of the P101 disc wheels - with a tyre & tube will do!
Just wondered how much heavier they were than the one normal spoked variety.
Posted By: Andrew J.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 08/07/21 09:20 PM

I could... But I'm nervous to mar the lugs with that wrench.

Let me see what I can do this weekend.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 08/07/21 09:40 PM

Pot some duck tape round the nut first! You need a practice run to change a wheel! 😉
Posted By: PocketRocket

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 08/07/21 11:31 PM

To remove Wheel Nuts without damage (I would still place a cloth to avoid metal to metal contact), SC Parts offers this special tool Part Number 479748 https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/special-tool-1-79772.html

I would post picture, but I have not figured out how...
Posted By: JohnMat

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 08/07/21 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by PocketRocket
I would post picture, but I have not figured out how...

Sadly this is a recurring theme on this site, as it is not easy frown
Right click on the image, "Copy Image Address", and paste between [img][/img]. However some web sites won't let you do that. If you don't get a link that ends in .jpg or.jpeg it may not work.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 09/07/21 06:40 AM

The thing to remember is that you need to tell the TalkMorgan software 2 things:

1. where the image file is located
2. to display it as an image rather than a clickable link.

The second bit is achieved using the [img][/img] tags. The first bit needs to be the web address of the actual picture you want displayed. Not the web page on which the image sits, not the search terms that found you the picture, just the address of the picture file itself.

All image files (at least, those relevant to us) have a name that ends in jpg, jpeg, bmp, png, or tiff. The easy way to ensure this is to select the BBCode option if you're using the Talk Morgan Image Server (http://tm-img.com), or to right-click on the image and select "Copy Image Address" if you are on a different web site.

So if the thing you paste into your TalkMorgan post isn't a character string that begins http:// and ends with jpg or one of the other valid image file type descriptors listed above, then it isn't going to work.
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 09/07/21 07:33 AM

:thuimbs:
Much better explanation than I would have written smile
Posted By: planenut

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 09/07/21 06:19 PM

It will be interesting to hear how the disc wheels work in a strong cross wind as well.
Posted By: Michael H

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 09/07/21 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by planenut

It will be interesting to hear how the disc wheels work in a strong cross wind as well.

Like the rudder of a plane...
Posted By: PeterG

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 09/07/21 11:53 PM

woohoo Might be like the good ole days with bump steer, just more steer than bump.

I shall report the effects next month or the next if it hasn't been windy.
Posted By: Obie

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 10/07/21 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by PeterG

woohoo Might be like the good ole days with bump steer, just more steer than bump.

I hope its not too bad otherwise Morgan will have to do a re-design on the new Ford engined 3 wheeler innocent
Posted By: LightSpeed

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 10/09/21 02:40 PM

Any updates on the wind effect yet??

And another question, will these wheels fit under the fenders of the previous years model?
Posted By: CraigL

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 11/09/21 02:21 AM

The new M3W is reportedly "entering the jet age". I think we need some moon disc hubcaps!

[Linked Image]

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 12/09/21 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by LightSpeed

Any updates on the wind effect yet??

And another question, will these wheels fit under the fenders of the previous years model?

Still awaiting delivery coffee

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 12/09/21 11:02 AM

Another question, is it possible to purchase a set of those wheels?

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 12/09/21 05:46 PM

I've seen a car at Krazy Horse with a very similar if not the same so maybe? Best to drop an email to MMC and ask nicely (beg sometimes helps) I also saw recently a 3W with disc wheel with a gap near the top of the wheel. Sure it was on Instagram but once seen I can never find anything again on there.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 12/09/21 06:33 PM

I've seen a car at Krazy Horse with a very similar if not the same so maybe? Best to drop an email to MMC and ask nicely (beg sometimes helps) I also saw recently a 3W with disc wheel with a gap near the top of the wheel. Sure it was on Instagram but once seen I can never find anything again on there.

I saw that one and got a reply from the maker/seller and they do not have the rather flat profile of the P101 wheels. That flat profile is what I liked about the looks, besides very easy to clean :-)

I will politely ask MMC to see what they say. Thanks Peter.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 12/09/21 06:37 PM

I saw that one and got a reply from the maker/seller and they do not have the rather flat profile of the P101 wheels. That flat profile is what I liked about the looks, besides very easy to clean :-)

I will politely ask MMC to see what they say. Thanks Peter.

I must admit I am really looking forward to cleaning them, the hubs do need a squirt of AFC50 after each wash, as advised by the aftercare handbook (leaflet) kindly supplied by Chris G.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 15/09/21 01:11 PM

I've not had any problem with wind and the wheels pushing around. I don't think with the weight upfront and two wheels it has any of the problems that a solid wheel on a motorcycle causes.

I've also not had a chance to remove the wheel and check the weight.

I will say they are super easy to clean. It's a solid painted surface, I wash it just like I would a painted panel. Hit it with a little instant detailer when I pull up to a meet.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 15/09/21 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew J.
I've not had any problem with wind and the wheels pushing around. I don't think with the weight upfront and two wheels it has any of the problems that a solid wheel on a motorcycle causes.

I've also not had a chance to remove the wheel and check the weight.

I will say they are super easy to clean. It's a solid painted surface, I wash it just like I would a painted panel. Hit it with a little instant detailer when I pull up to a meet.

Thank you. I still have heard nothing from MMC about their availability.

Posted By: britmog

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 15/09/21 02:12 PM

I very much doubt MMC will supply the wheels as after market so don't hold your breath for a reply.
Posted By: Chris99

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 15/09/21 05:09 PM

The P101 wheels are made by https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/

They probably won't sell you the same ones but might have something similar
Posted By: Laurens

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 15/09/21 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chris99

To my opinion are this ones nicer.

Available via M3W services France

[Linked Image]

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 15/09/21 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by britmog
I very much doubt MMC will supply the wheels as after market so don't hold your breath for a reply.

I have my dealer working on it as well.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 15/09/21 05:55 PM

Thank you Chris.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 17/09/21 01:08 PM

Thank you Chris.

They do indeed make the P101 wheels but they are a priority wheel for MMC exclusively. However they will make variations to fit the M3W at a pretty health price.
Posted By: PaulV

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 17/09/21 02:19 PM

I like https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/billet-203-alloy-wheel/ from the list at https://www.imagewheels.co.uk/three-piece-billet-alloy-wheels/
smile

[Linked Image]

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 17/09/21 04:43 PM

Paul, those sort of defeat the idea of having a smooth surface to clean and although they come in the diameter necessary getting the correct offsets and rim width all to mate to the splined hub would be quite the task.

1400 Pounds per wheel is also a bit steep.
Posted By: TBM

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 18/09/21 06:12 AM

Never used them, but this company are very popular it the UK for custom bike wheels.

There must be something similar stateside who could knock up a set? Possibly cheaper than Image?

Taylormade Wheels

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 18/09/21 01:40 PM

Thanks TBM for another source of wheels..

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 18/09/21 02:45 PM

FYI talking to the Turrino Wheels folk at Goodwood today - they mentioned they have done a set of disk wheels for a M3W customer. No photo on their gallery yet, and they did mention it had not been optimised for weight…
https://turrinowirewheels.com/
Posted By: Laurens

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 18/09/21 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by PaulV
FYI talking to the Turrino Wheels folk at Goodwood today - they mentioned they have done a set of disk wheels for a M3W customer. No photo on their gallery yet, and they did mention it had not been optimised for weight…

I put a photo on this thread on the 15th !!!
Ask Chas or Steve from M3W services. Also well known as Black Adder 😜

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 18/09/21 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Laurens
Originally Posted by PaulV

I put a photo on this thread on the 15th !!!
Ask Chas or Steve from M3W services. Also well known as Black Adder 😜

Thanks Laurens - putting 2 and 2 together now! Looks nice, but quite different from the P101 wheel.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 18/09/21 07:39 PM

We created these Disc Rims with Turrino specifically for the owners Heritage Edition M3W.

Turrino made these handcrafted wheels from solid pieces of billet aluminium, expensive, but beautifully made.
The owner wanted something unique, not a P101 clone for what is a special edition M3W in it's own right.

The P101 has a unique identity, we wanted to create something unique for this Heritage Edition.
Thanks to Will and his team at Turrino, we think we pulled it off.
They look stunning in the flesh and for those interested, doesn't suffer crosswind issues.
The 'test drive' was 2253km from Bergerac to Germany via the M3W Jungfrau Treffen.

Buying an M3W gives you the opportunity to have a unique vehicle as every M3W 'meet' demonstrates.
Of course every vehicle is down to the personal taste of the owner, we made this owner very happy!
Posted By: Lance

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 18/09/21 09:05 PM

Nicely done, better looking than the P101wheels

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 19/09/21 08:08 AM

Some images of the Turrino disc wheel manufacture

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Fitted on the Heritage edition

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

With two other sets of spoked Turrino Wheels - Black & Polished and in fully painted Orange

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CraigL

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 19/09/21 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Black Adder

Those are truly impressive. Thanks for sharing the pictures. It looks like Turrino does some excellent work!
Posted By: 2Sharp

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 20/09/21 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by CraigL

Those are truly impressive. Thanks for sharing the pictures. It looks like Turrino does some excellent work!

Agreed fabulous wheels. Are they tubeless?

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 20/09/21 05:49 AM

Yes, they are tubeless.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 20/09/21 06:20 AM

The paint job on the wheels is what made me wonder if these were “disk wheels”… in the bare you can see it though - v impressive to see how they are made!
Posted By: atalante83

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 20/09/21 05:01 PM

Nice job

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 21/09/21 12:27 PM

What would be the approximate cost for something like this?

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 21/09/21 02:06 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I was quoted, by Turino, 1400 pounds per wheel.
Posted By: Dan_Lockwood

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 21/09/21 04:30 PM

As an observation from a guy across the pond, 1400# per wheel sounds like a LOT of weight to be turning, but just think of the gyro effect it could have... A TIPLESS M3W! smile

All kidding aside, I know people that have paid more than that for motorcycle wheels and not think twice at the very steep price.

I will say on the right vehicle, they do look awesome! But getting back to the true weight of the wheels, I bet they're more than the spoke wheels.

I had thought long and hard about disc wheels for a project and thought that I would start with MWS blank hub and put a bolt pattern in them and THEN bolt the disc wheel up to the splined hub. I don't know for sure how these are constructed, but there has to be a steel spline inside there someplace, aluminium splines would NOT hold up very long. So what's the inside of the wheel look like? Has it been relieved to say 1/4" thick all around the disc area to lighten up the wheels, a bolt in hub on the rear?

Again though, they do look marvelous on this M3W.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 21/09/21 05:51 PM

Years ago, there used to be a bit of a craze for solid wheels on rat bikes. The most basic ones used hardboard discs fitted with cable ties, but as people got more adept, they were welding dished or flat ally discs onto either side of a spoked or cast wheel.

May be a possibility? Probably be substanially less than £1400!

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 21/09/21 05:54 PM

Here we go:

[Linked Image]

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 21/09/21 11:16 PM

Now the task is to get someone with a P101 to remove a wheel with the Avon tire mounted and weigh it. I have a set with Avons just sitting in the shop that I can easily weigh. Same for the weight of he Turino wheels.
Posted By: planenut

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 22/09/21 08:14 AM

The information about the relative weights of the standard MWS wire wheel and tyre combinations compared to the Turrino wheel is covered fully in Phil Gardners (R1NGA) excellent M3W handling articles in the MTWC Bulletin magazines dated Feb and March 2021. https://www.mtwc.co.uk/5-speeder-articles-from-the-bulletin/ The difference in static weight for those two is 3.3Kg but that is only part of the story.
Posted By: Bunny

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 22/09/21 08:41 AM

The information about the relative weights of the standard MWS wire wheel and tyre combinations compared to the Turrino wheel is covered fully in Phil Gardners (R1NGA) excellent M3W handling articles in the MTWC Bulletin magazines dated Feb and March 2021. https://www.mtwc.co.uk/5-speeder-articles-from-the-bulletin/

Just blowing the trumpet for the Morgan Three Wheeler Club - Members get free access to these (and many more) technical articles via the excellent club website.
This is a brilliant resource for 3 Wheeler owners and the articles tend to be a bit more concise than TalkMorgan threads.

[Linked Image]

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 22/09/21 12:10 PM

Would love to join the club, but they don't make it easy if your are not in England.
The site has a membership form to be filled out, but it can not be filled out on line. The fields won't populate. So it looks like you have to print the form, fill it out and mail to England.

If I am missing something, someone please let me know

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 22/09/21 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lance
Would love to join the club, but they don't make it easy if your are not in England.
The site has a membership form to be filled out, but it can not be filled out on line. The fields won't populate. So it looks like you have to print the form, fill it out and mail to England.

If I am missing something, someone please let me know

Print the form off and then scan it over to membership@mtwc.co.uk. Worked for me.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 22/09/21 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bunny
The information about the relative weights of the standard MWS wire wheel and tyre combinations compared to the Turrino wheel is covered fully in Phil Gardners (R1NGA) excellent M3W handling articles in the MTWC Bulletin magazines dated Feb and March 2021. https://www.mtwc.co.uk/5-speeder-articles-from-the-bulletin/

Just blowing the trumpet for the Morgan Three Wheeler Club - Members get free access to these (and many more) technical articles via the excellent club website.
This is a brilliant resource for 3 Wheeler owners and the articles tend to be a bit more concise than TalkMorgan threads.

[Linked Image]

Found the article, a good article that was focusing on unsprung weight which was something of which I was already aware and missed the weight differentials on the wheels.

The weight savings are less on the wheels than with changing the mudguards to G56 Kevlar. Now that was compating MMC wire wheels to Turino wheels and NOT MMC wheels. Still need someone to chime in about a P101 wheel w/tyre fitted weight.
Posted By: Dutch

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 22/09/21 04:04 PM

That's what I did. Printed it, filled it out, scanned it in and send it off as an email. Paid dues thru PayPal
Posted By: Dutch

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 22/09/21 04:15 PM

Don't know what brand of computer you've got but on a Mac you can open the document as a PDF in Preview and fill it in easily. I can send you a blank copy if you need one.
Posted By: Bitsobrits

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 23/09/21 12:55 AM

I don't recall having those issues. I believe I did my original membership (3 years ago) online. It may be a browser issue. You may want to check with them and find out which browser they recommend using.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 23/09/21 01:50 PM

Another question/thought about solid wheels, do you all think it could reduce brake ventilation and cause the brakes to fade more rapidly?
Posted By: Stevo666

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 23/09/21 06:48 PM

Another question/thought about solid wheels, do you all think it could reduce brake ventilation and cause the brakes to fade more rapidly?

Didn't affect the brakes at all across the winding Swiss Alpine passes over the 3 days of the Grindelwald meeting, nor the trip there using the fast flowing roads of Southern France.....and the driver does pedal the car quite hard... drive

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 23/09/21 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stevo666

Didn't affect the brakes at all across the winding Swiss Alpine passes over the 3 days of the Grindelwald meeting, nor the trip there using the fast flowing roads of Southern France.....and the driver does pedal the car quite hard... drive

Thank you Steveo666. That would have been a good test of the wheels and a trip I would have loved to have done.

Re: P101 Disc Wheels - 23/09/21 10:27 PM

There's no chance of the solid wheels causing more heat buildup. The entire leading edge of the rotor is exposed to fresh air. Not like a car where there are bumpers & wheel wells to trap air. It's completely open air!
© 2022 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News