Posted By: Rog G

The Super 3 - 24/02/22 07:28 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: schorschie

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 07:40 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuXdaLc0byQ
Posted By: PaulV

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 07:41 AM

Interesting body design! Like the wheels though…
[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 07:45 AM

The configurator is online!

https://configure.morgan-motor.com/super-3/
Posted By: Keith H

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 07:46 AM

Just watched the video - looks amazing at first glance
Posted By: Perry_P_M3W

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 07:51 AM

A lot nicer than I imagined. I like new things and this has me currently tempted.
Posted By: Topline123

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 08:01 AM

I think it looks like an old style bathtub. Sorry!
Posted By: TBM

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 08:13 AM

Yep, good job. Like it.

Looking forward to having a nose when I visit in April....
Posted By: RichardV6

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by schorschie

All that salt will ruin her long hair not to mention the aluminium chassis innocent

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 08:43 AM

Not stupid price at "From £41,995" but I'm sure the extras will bump that up a ton.

Technical specification

Engine: Ford 1.5-litre, inline three-cylinder
Gearbox: Five-speed manual
Maximum power: 118 bhp (87 kW) at 6500 rpm
Maximum torque: 110 lb ft (150 Nm) at 4500 rpm
Acceleration 0-62 (0-100kph): 7 seconds
Top speed: 130 mph (209 kph)

Fuel economy (combined): 40 mpg (pending final certification)
CO2 emissions: 130g/km
Dry weight: 635kg
Posted By: Viper

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 08:57 AM

What’s not to like.

Good work Morgan.
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 08:59 AM

Looks good to me. Not as evocative as the V-Twin, but I think they had to make too many design compromises with that to make it work properly.

I wonder how long it will be before the electric model is available? When it comes, I reckon they ought to style it like the car from 'The Nevers':

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nick w

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 09:02 AM

Although I'm not remotely in the market for one, I like the looks... except perhaps the odd fit of the front of the bonnet...or maybe I can't see ir clearly.
Imagine doing 130 in that!
Nick

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 09:07 AM

I've played on the configurator and my ideal spec runs just shy of £54K. I absolutely love the contrast paint option for the side panel and the ability to match the wheels to it. The bonded chassis is also very interesting. More so that they can offer this at such a decent starting price, especially when compared to the outgoing M3W. Fantastic in it's own right but the Super 3 clearly has a lot more tech, substantial chassis etc.

Perhaps I missed it but I don't see any mention of ash being used .

Looking forward to seeing this in person.
Posted By: Rovert

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 09:08 AM

I Think the frontal treatment and the tail will take a bit of getting used to. I like the luggage carrier options and the side profile up to the tail. Screens seems to be an optional extra?

Not that I'm in the market.
Posted By: TheCustomer

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Perry_P_M3W
I've played on the configurator and my ideal spec runs just shy of £54K. .

I see your £54k and raise to £63,265.02
!

I'm not remotely interested in buying, but the world is a better place for this being in it

Will
Posted By: Lordofthewings

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rovert
I think the frontal treatment and the tail will take a bit of getting used to.

Clement Ader has a lot to answer for.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Image

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 09:14 AM

Not a three-wheeler driver, but I do like that ... seems to have lots of interesting features. ... looks fun.

Interesting how often Shelsley Walsh crops up in promo vids 🙂

K
Posted By: clubsport

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 09:21 AM

I enjoyed the carfection overview with Jonathan Wells, I really like his enthusiasm for the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1S3IupBLxc
Posted By: Bunny

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 09:27 AM

With 118bhp on tap how did they manage to get the 0-60 time up to 7 seconds? Just asking for a friend.
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 09:44 AM

These look like a lot of fun, Rich Duisbergs presentation is very good to watch with a walk around the red one.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 09:44 AM

£53K for mine. Would have to sell the house though.
Posted By: mapman

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 10:19 AM

I hope its a success for the company, although I much prefer my 2015 Model.
Its not a bad looking car except for those Ironing boards? Work benches? Stretchers? bolted on the side. They look ridiculous!
Posted By: Peter J

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 10:32 AM

£50,500.... not sure Management would be supportive and I'd have to sell the Plus 8....
I need to sit in one, drive it. It could be a hoot..

I quite like the F1 style barge boards. Lots of graphic possibilities.
Posted By: MATTMOG

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mapman
I hope its a success for the company, although I much prefer my 2015 Model.
Its not a bad looking car except for those Ironing boards? Work benches? Stretchers? bolted on the side. They look ridiculous!

+1
Posted By: RichJames

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 10:52 AM

additional £800 for changing the steering wheel option!
Posted By: M3W55

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 11:29 AM

One would want to reserve judgement until more was known about the mechanicals, but it does look as though they missed a trick in not adopting the nose/grille design from the Plus 4/6 to introduce consistency across the range. There was not much of an exhaust note evident in the launch video; I hope it is not too smooth and quiet.

Other things: is sorting out a puncture still a nightmare? Why did they not offer Sport options equivalent to the Stage 1/2 upgrades that many owners of the old model found necessary to free up gas flow and release the engine's potential? Can non-MMC sat navs be easily attached? Is the steering wheel still removable for easy access? Similarly, is there still a brace bar to assist with entry and exit? Why no wipers with the screens? Is the fuel gauge reliable at last? No frail compensator any more? Reliable fuel pump?

And so on....
Posted By: NeilL

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 11:31 AM

Not at all sure about the Front ...in fact I am! It looks unfinished. I was hoping for a F4 style Front. I too hope its a success - looking forward to seeing one in the flesh and a Drive:))
Posted By: NeilL

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 11:33 AM

But I guess it looks kinda ok with the Twin Front Spots added laugh2
Posted By: Ray

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 11:47 AM

I do like the look of it, but also think a small grill at the top would finish the front off neater.
Posted By: Glenn

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 12:15 PM

I wish Morgan luck, but its not convinced me to trade up. Its appealing to a different clientelle in my opinion.
Posted By: Lance

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 12:16 PM

With the 20" wheels, you are now limited to one tire??
Posted By: R1NGA

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 12:22 PM

I really like the look of it, although I suspect in the flesh it will look considerably bigger than the current car - hopefully our friends who are up there today can give us more of a real feel about the thing in due course. Whilst I may not want one right now, I do hope it's a success for the MMC as we all need them to remain strong and profitable, but I pray that they've ironed out most of the issues beforehand this time round such that those to-be early adopters are not simply unpaid development drivers as many of us have been over those 2012-14 years.... Well done MMC however - great news to brighten a potentially gruesome day elsewhere in the world.

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 12:49 PM

Well I’m glad some of you fellas aren’t on the design team wink

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Viper
Well I’m glad some of you fellas aren’t on the design team wink

I don't do illegal substances
Posted By: Aeroman

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 01:06 PM

Great job Morgan, I’ve already ordered and specced mine! 🙌
Posted By: deano

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 01:10 PM

Looks amazing but wow its an expensive toy!

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Aeroman

Congratulations Brian

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bunny
With 118bhp on tap how did they manage to get the 0-60 time up to 7 seconds? Just asking for a friend.

The belt drive/sprocket is going to take some (more) serious punishment !
Posted By: CraigL

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 01:33 PM

I do think all the cargo configuration options take some design thoughts from the CX-T.

Are the exhaust tips an option? I only see those on one car. Where are the exhaust routed when the tips don't poke through the rear end?

Overall it is a good design, but I am really glad I was able to grab one of the final M3W's.
Posted By: Laurens

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by R1NGA
I really like the look of it, although I suspect in the flesh it will look considerably bigger than the current car - hopefully our friends who are up there today can give us more of a real feel about the thing in due course. Whilst I may not want one right now, I do hope it's a success for the MMC as we all need them to remain strong and profitable, but I pray that they've ironed out most of the issues beforehand this time round such that those to-be early adopters are not simply unpaid development drivers as many of us have been over those 2012-14 years.... Well done MMC however - great news to brighten a potentially gruesome day elsewhere in the world.

+ 2

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 02:04 PM

I think the configurator is a vast improvment over the previous online configurator. Having the customized PDF Brochure is a really nice touch. However, for my US spec'ed car, I didn't wind up with a final price. If you have to ask how much it costs...
Posted By: sbarracl

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 02:27 PM

I like it - no audio in any of the videos - I wonder what it sounds like? That's a big part of the charm of our M3Ws. It would be nice to have a motor whose mission in life is not to shake the car apart, though. All joking aside, it looks like a very good effort, although I think I'll still hold on to mine for a while...
Posted By: Ivo

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 02:43 PM

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/ar...nWr9yNtWS3FqFCn9A2QI7LuZj8k1RBP1cXKt3dog
Posted By: Sportster

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 03:04 PM

Wow, finally here! Excellent name, The Super 3.

A lot of positive things here but some things I really don’t like that is very much personal preference. As always I wish Morgan significant success.

I think the base price is reasonable and very nice list of modifications.

Really like the inboard Ford engine but was hoping for a shaft drive. I’m sure the driving experience will be great. Very nice seating design.

I really don’t like the looks of the “technical front end”, air scoops, and front side panels. A nice front grill like the cars covering up the exposed technicals would have been fantastic but again very much personal preference. Sorry designers. Impossible to keep everyone happy.

Again I wish Morgan every success with this and I’m sure the driving experience will be fantastic.

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 03:06 PM

The Wife has ordered one too Brian which is good for me because she never drives anywhere.
Posted By: raincityrider

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 03:06 PM

Looks like a nice alternative to the Vanderhall. I'm sure it's great fun to drive, but for me it seems too much like a car now. I'll hang on to my 2014 M3W.
Posted By: 1560

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by clubsport
I enjoyed the carfection overview with Jonathan Wells, I really like his enthusiasm for the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1S3IupBLxc

I really like his 'grinta'
he's so confident: really nice to see

and the nailed it with the Super3

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 03:13 PM

looking forward to see it!!!
Posted By: britmog

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 03:20 PM

Having owned Morgans for over 40 years I am in the traditionalist camp and love my M3W, I know I am not the target audience for the Super 3. I congratulate MMC on an exciting, unique and forward looking platform wishing them the greatest of success.
Posted By: truckin-on

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 03:20 PM

Most interesting comment I picked-up on: "... bevel box with custom designed tooth profile"

Is there hope for our perpetually screaming BB's?
Posted By: Draggin

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 03:22 PM

I am very happy that I don't love it! I will keep mine and retire a couple of years earlier! It just looks awkward to me, maybe I am too old? No ash wood? Room for storage? Bah! But I welcome all the early Super 3 owners to the forum, and I look forward to reading of their experiences as they beta test the cars for the first couple of years. All I want to know is if Phil Bleazey can work up some brackets so that us old loyal customers can fit the new Bevel Box? "Specially designed teeth" said the video. If it doesn't sound like an Air-Raid siren, I am all in!

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 03:50 PM

Morgan diehards are all dropping off their perches and this car will appeal to a younger more with-it customer profile without upsetting old rascals like me.

It’s awesome
Posted By: Soleng

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by TBM

The weight is huge. The Nobe 100GT electric three-wheeler with a roof and three seats weighs less at 500 kg. How is that possible?
Posted By: PeterG

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 04:17 PM

Want one...

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 04:19 PM

What? I’m not in the “with it” crowd anymore?

Joking aside, Viper I’m sure you’re correct in saying us old fart traditionalists are not the target audience.

I’m happy many like it.

Posted By: Tomhez

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by deano

You can afford it and keep it my garage. (assuming you are who i think you are)
Posted By: bmgermany

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 04:48 PM

Imho these front side panels look very provisional.
In my view also the very tecnical looking (laser cut) luggage racks do not fit in with the overall shape of the threewheeler.
Posted By: ShaunD

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 05:21 PM

Agreed, Phil.
Let’s hope it’s a success (and reliable!).
👍
Posted By: WilsonLaidlaw

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 05:59 PM

I think it is hideous. I would far rather have seen the alloy chassis carrying an Indian Vee Twin. The wheels and the side panel are wholly out of keeping with the retro ambience of the car. I suspect that it may end up being as successful as the rather prettier Vanderhall or Polaris Slingshot, neither of which have exactly set the showrooms on fire. I will not be joining the queue but hanging on to my M3W until it breaks down irretrievably.

Wilson
Posted By: ShaunD

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Soleng
Originally Posted by TBM

The weight is huge. The Nobe 100GT electric three-wheeler with a roof and three seats weighs less at 500 kg. How is that possible?

Almost twice the weight of a Pembleton T24 (which is 361 kgs).
But then they are very different beasts.
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 06:56 PM

It's very wide at the front wheels, 1850mm wide, will be a squeeze in some modern garages, my 3.7 Roadster is approx 1600mm by comparison & looks fat
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 07:04 PM

Well I was a bit worried that Morgan would struggle to get the front end looking as good as the previous model with a purposeful V twin hanging off the front, but I’m quite impressed

It’s much better than the failed electric model of a few years ago

All cars and vehicles have souls which is mainly defined by the anthropomorphic or animalistic character at the nose

The last V twin model reminded me of a springing metallic insect.

This looks very similar with the split bonnet nose looking like an articulated carapace on a crustacean or arachnid

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by CooperMan
It's very wide at the front wheels, 1850mm wide, will be a squeeze in some modern garages, my 3.7 Roadster is approx 1600mm by comparison & looks fat

Vs 1738mm plus whatever for the spinners the the previous M3W.

The biggest change is it looks higher off the ground (you are sitting on a petrol tank not a thinnish seat).
Posted By: Ewan

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 07:23 PM

The pictures don’t do it justice, the youtoob videos are far better , it’s very nice indeed, love the green one with the yellow screen they show. You even get the Morgan badge on the tyres!
Now it’s water cooled, does it have a heater?
Configurator doesn’t work with Apple so can’t buy one today.

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 07:30 PM

Footwell heater was on the option list in the configurator
Originally Posted by Ewan

Now it’s water cooled, does it have a heater?
Configurator doesn’t work with Apple so can’t buy one today.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 08:20 PM

It looks great to me. I like the alternative rear end shape with the boat like tail.

That's a big uplift on the pricing and if you start to get adventurous it may start to look like a Plus 4 !

Really good work.

Looking forward to seeing Brian's spec.

I suspect this one will be better sorted on shipment than the last one.

I hope this allows the company to step up a level further. Great promise.
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 08:24 PM

Heated seats as well!

Does it need a numberplate on the front?
Posted By: waikiore

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 08:57 PM

To me the front looks unfinished -surely a version of the cascading grille could be fitted to tidy it up at least visually, not keen on flapping saddlebags either. I wonder who will end up with the sandblasted ones?

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 09:54 PM

I suspect that the grill is being "saved" for the main release.

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jon G4LJW

Attach a (UK) plate to a stainless number-plate box and I reckon it would look a bit like this. This is my mock-up of a reg currently available online for under £500 (unless I decide to buy it speculatively....).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Osama

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 10:05 PM

Totally agree

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 10:53 PM

I like it but curious as to the custom made tyres, if it is designed to tour in having a custom tyre means you will have to carry at least one tyre as a spare. I wonder if they have made a fitting to carry a tyre say on the rear carrier?

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 10:59 PM

You raise a good point Bruce. I can't see that tyre being as readily available in all parts of the world where this will be sold.

Speaking of the custom tyre, I watched the Carfection video and they had a close up of the tyre and noticed it had 3 Wheeler embossed on it. I suspect these were/are test tyres and the ones to come on production cars will have Super 3.

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lordofthewings

Originally Posted by Jon G4LJW

Attach a (UK) plate to a stainless number-plate box and I reckon it would look a bit like this. This is my mock-up of a reg currently available online for under £500 (unless I decide to buy it speculatively....).

[Linked Image]

Watching another video, Jon Wells explains the Super 3 is classed as an “L5e Motor Tricycle”, and so does not need a registration plate on the front.

Around 16’30 into this one - https://youtu.be/NPmUvibglfM
Posted By: RobC

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 11:36 PM

Anyone like my black cowl choice?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LightSpeed

Re: The Super 3 - 24/02/22 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Alistair
I suspect that the grill is being "saved" for the main release.

Probably another 1,000 pound option.
Posted By: PJC

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:34 AM

I've never been that interested in the M3W but this Super3 with the many new design features (monocoque / technical waterproof seat fabric etc) looks quite interesting. Then I ran a configurator to add some colour and things to make feel a bit different and it came out at £57k! Eeek pantsdown
Posted By: Ewan

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:46 AM

I think being so different in construction from the original is a superb idea, I do hope all those curved panels are aluminium and not glass fibre. If they are all alloy, that really sets I apart for the kit car look of the competition including lotus and, not to be unkind because it’s part of the charm, the shed built look of the previous model.
Posted By: Tomhez

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Alistair
It looks great to me. I like the alternative rear end shape with the boat like tail.

That's a big uplift on the pricing and if you start to get adventurous it may start to look like a Plus 4 !

Really good work.

Looking forward to seeing Brian's spec.

I suspect this one will be better sorted on shipment than the last one.

I hope this allows the company to step up a level further. Great promise.

Add some upgrades to a late m3w and you can get to £55,000 very quickly. With respect to the 4 wheelers, some buy the 3 because it does not look like the other models.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 08:58 AM

I configured one with lots of options, which came to just over £60k.

It does seem a solid-looking machine - no plastic and water resistant. It would be nice to have that same quality of switchgear and instrument surrounds in the 4-wheelers.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 09:27 AM

Looking forward to Roger's, Ian's. and others views from the event last night - I presume no-one is allowed yet to look under the bonnet or bootlid.

My initial view:
Wins: modularity for side luggage etc (presuming they can make that waterproof!);
+ new body design in total;
+ front wheel design although I'm surprised they didnt offer a (hugely expensive option of a) wire wheel alternative at the launch

Loses: lower engine torque at low revs will change this to a cruiser rather than a 3-wheeled bike? I saw some hints of them using the 3 cyl turbo (Super 3 Super? wink ) in future which would address that, although if a turbo fitted they could have used the 1l 3cyl turbo from the start...
+ side blades trailing edge looks clumsy being straight (angle or crescent indent might have been more in keeping)
+ front cowl-and-below looks too fussy (beware kerbs with the steering rack as your "bumper"!
+ that custom tyre is for sure not going to be easy to source!

Unknowns: where does the exhaust run - along the side / sill? Could get warm ...
+ did they fix the engineering snafus (BB mount, rear brake access, rear wheel bearings et al ) from the old car?

Annoyances: if they could "fix" the bevel box for this, why not for the 2012-21 model?

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by PaulV

Annoyances: if they could "fix" the bevel box for this, why not for the 2012-21 model?

Could open the way to a possible retro-fit?
Posted By: RichJames

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 09:52 AM

I didn't think I would like it....but I do
I Like the idea and theme of the jet age retro and it seems to fit that very well, it's a different retro look and feel and not competing with modern age vehicles and styling but has it's own agenda, which is nice to see
I would hope the sound reflects the look
Posted By: John V6

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 10:06 AM

I am not sure if this has been posted before , but just in case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi9-Nnzc1Hc
Posted By: mph

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 12:18 PM

It looks a much more professional and integrated design than the cobbled together previous three wheeler.

Overall I like it - with some reservations.

It's too wide, too heavy and should have the option of a proper windscreen.

As always the proof will be in the pudding.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 12:36 PM

It is very wide - 8 inches wider than the Plus Four, if I’m reading things right!

There is a decent-looking single-piece windscreen in the options.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 12:44 PM

I like it at first impressions. I do think they should have moved to shaft drive.
Posted By: Jens

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 01:03 PM

I'm not particularly impressed. The Super 3 is too big for a MTW (and far too wide) and too futuristic for my taste. I don't want to see digital instruments in a Morgan. The missing grille and weird luggage rack doesn't make it any better. But I could imagine that the Super 3 would appeal to younger buyers. Despite all the criticism of the design, that thing will definitely be fun to drive...

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 02:29 PM

[Linked Image]

The engine
Posted By: Stevo666

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 03:15 PM

Banner battery anyone...!
You would have thought they might have changed this for a more reliable product...?

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 03:22 PM

It is flippin’ wide though at 1840mm which just makes it 20mm narrower than my 5 series

what width was the previous model?

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stevo666
Banner battery anyone...!
You would have thought they might have changed this for a more reliable product...?

What is the fun in that.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart S
It is flippin’ wide though at 1840mm which just makes it 20mm narrower than my 5 series

Actually I’ve just found the old width, (good ole Google)

It was 1738 so they’ve added 102mm to its width

My Roadster is 1720 wide
Posted By: RobP

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 04:52 PM

They house the twin radiators

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 05:46 PM

The bevel box is from a new source and will fit the S&S engined cars.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ewan
I think being so different in construction from the original is a superb idea, I do hope all those curved panels are aluminium and not glass fibre. If they are all alloy, that really sets I apart for the kit car look of the competition including lotus and, not to be unkind because it’s part of the charm, the shed built look of the previous model.

The body is all aluminium the front mudguards carbon.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rog G

The bevel box is from a new source and will fit the S&S engined cars.

Nice :-)

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 06:12 PM

[Linked Image]
Side by side comparison
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Topline123
I think it looks like an old style bathtub. Sorry!

thats the vibes I got
laugh2

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 06:17 PM

[Linked Image]
Rear luggage space, tyre is wider at 195/65 15, but no fuel tanks in rear mean deeper side pockets and greater width overall.
[Linked Image]
Fuel tank is now under LH seat with a storage locker under the front portion of the RH seat.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 06:26 PM

I wonder if they'll swap the fuel tank and storage locker for the LHD version? I'm guessing probably not - part of the charm...
Posted By: Redfate

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 06:30 PM

You wait and wonder and look forward to the launch only to be disappointed frown2

Such a shame, but I just don't like it at all redcard
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 06:39 PM

Changing from conventional to LED lights adds a grand !!
Posted By: OZ 4/4

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:03 PM

The more I look at it, the more I like it.....
Construction quality and reliability will be the key to success....
Posted By: Dutch

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:14 PM

What is the drive train ? Are they still using the badly engineered compensators ?

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dutch
What is the drive train ? Are they still using the badly engineered compensators ?

Well, still quotes the Mazda 'box, belt drive & rear bevel box, so...dunno, but more power though the drivetrain too, shame it isn't shaft drive

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:23 PM

My Roadster is 1720 wide

If my maths are correct, this will be a very tight fit in a single car garage correct? My 4/4 fits quite comfortably but I need to hug the one side to leave room to get out and walk around.

Still very tempted! took the 4/4 out of early hibernation to remind myself of what I have. smile

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:25 PM

[Linked Image]
Side by side comparison

Proportionally, far too wide at the front, silly bonnet gap pinched from the latest Audi A3 (which looks likes someone forgot to close it), makes the foibles of the previous 5 speeder worth ignoring as at least it had the iconic MTW shape and proportions
Posted By: M3W55

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:37 PM

My Roadster is 1720 wide

If my maths are correct, this will be a very tight fit in a single car garage correct? My 4/4 fits quite comfortably but I need to hug the one side to leave room to get out and walk around.

Still very tempted! took the 4/4 out of early hibernation to remind myself of what I have. smile

Yes, but bear in mind that there are no doors to open and the cockpit is narrower than the wheel to wheel width, so two people could hop in at the same time in a garage.
Posted By: Crowbar

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:46 PM

Had a first gen M3W...loved it, sold it for about $6k less than I bought it for after owning it for three years. Loved every minute of ownership and missed the car the moment I sold it. Yes both exhausts cracked on mine, but my bevel box was very quiet, and roads in Texas are pretty good, so bump steer wasn't an issue for me.

Replaced it with an Austin Healey 100-4. Loved that too - but it was a VERY well restored car, and that led me to not really drive it as much as I did the Morgan...sold that too after 3 years. I won't do that again, it's only condition 2 classic cars for me from now on!

Replaced the Healey with a slightly tatty Alfa Romeo Spider with the Spicas removed and converted to Webers. Spent around $16k getting it running right and improving the cosmetics...I'm very underwater on the Alfa - I just gave it to my brother!

Sooooo...we've come full circle. I very much like the new Super 3, agree that adding the central fog lights improves the look tremendously. I'm eagerly awaiting a first drive and impressions here on TM. Suspect that a lot of lessons learned from the M3W will be applied to the Super 3. My only quibbles are that the small windscreens look kinda cheap on the Super 3 - would have preferred a slightly updated Brooklands look. Clearly the key to ordering one of these is to lay off the options list, those suitcases and bags add up WAY too quickly..

I'm VERY seriously considering jumping in again...just waiting the read some driving impressions.

Cheers!

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:51 PM

There is no compensator, the compensator was only needed for the S&S engine to smooth out the torque spikes and hence protect the rest of the transmission.
Posted By: truckin-on

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:51 PM

I'm pleasantly surprised - it looks pretty good to my eye. Not a fan of the front - looks unfinished as others have said. And the saddle bags are sort of funky, if practical. Wonder if the front width was to be able to get a reasonable turning radius, unlike the M3W.

Worse - to me - will be a not very interesting exhaust note likely from the water-cooled 3. Love my Stage-1 M3W pipes!

If previous comment was accurate, and a different suppler of the BB has been found - and the new one is quiet - sign me up for a retrofit.

Posted By: PaulyG

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by OZ 4/4
The more I look at it, the more I like it...

I do think it's good!
Posted By: Bitsobrits

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 08:15 PM

I find the new car to be very Buck Rogers in the 21rst Century! which is to say I like it a lot. Apples to oranges with the M3W, so maybe I should have both?
Sort of like air cooled vs. water cooled Porsches; much to like about both.
Posted By: lord-richfield

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 09:23 PM

I really like it - enough to have a big decision to make. I've always loved the modern styling elements of my M3W, the neat perspex screens, the aircraft style dash etc coupled to the craftsmanship and that awesome engine. My only dislikes of the M3W are the drivetrain shunt, bevel box noise, centa fragility and now concerns over long-term engine parts availability. The Super 3 has buckets more of the modern styling I love and addresses all my dislikes. The only questions to me are:
1) will the engine / exhaust have enough character ?
2) is it just too wide to enjoy country lanes ?
3) will the unique front tyres prove to be a hostage to fortune ?

My theory on the increased width is that it is needed to retain stability with the more rearward C of G now that the engine is behind the front wheels and I suspect the passengers are also further rearwards.

If I do take the plunge it might be along the lines of the orange one...

Bravo Morgan for being different !

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 09:25 PM

Effectively i could keep my roadster and buy one of these vs trade in and buy a plus six

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by M3W55

My Roadster is 1720 wide

Yes, but bear in mind that there are no doors to open and the cockpit is narrower than the wheel to wheel width, so two people could hop in at the same time in a garage.

Yes good point but it would still be a squeeze getting the wheels into my single garage
Posted By: Chris99

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by sbarracl
I wonder if they'll swap the fuel tank and storage locker for the LHD version? I'm guessing probably not - part of the charm...

No, the fuel is on the left and the storage on the right for both left hand and right hand drive versions.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/02/22 11:32 PM

Ford 1.5l Dragon three cylinder engine
No compensator required as there are not the torque spikes of the S&S
Mazda 5 peed gearbox
Prop shaft
Bevel box no longer by Quaife and with redesigned internal gears
Same toothed belt and sprocket to rear wheel.
Rear tyre 195/65/15
Drum rear brake - apparently they tested both disk and drum which are about the same weight and cost. The test driver feedback was they preferred drums as the disk was "a bit bitey".
Posted By: MichaelS

Re: The Super 3 - 26/02/22 02:02 AM

Adoption to change follows a pattern: 1/3 will love it, 1/3 will hate it, 1/3 can be convinced.
I'm in the top half.

Re: The Super 3 - 26/02/22 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chris99

Ford 1.5l Dragon three cylinder engine
No compensator required as there are not the torque spikes of the S&S
Mazda 5 peed gearbox
Prop shaft
Bevel box no longer by Quaife and with redesigned internal gears
Same toothed belt and sprocket to rear wheel.
Rear tyre 195/65/15
Drum rear brake - apparently they tested both disk and drum which are about the same weight and cost. The test driver feedback was they preferred drums as the disk was "a bit bitey".

Why does it need a prop shaft and a toothed belt ? The toothed belt is a real disappointment given the increase in power and (I assume) weight over the previous model. Drum brakes are cheaper than discs.
Posted By: RedThree

Re: The Super 3 - 26/02/22 08:45 AM

It needs a belt as otherwise, if you want the rear wheel to be central you need a prop-shaft that is offset way over to one side which leads to other compromises such as a much wider cabin or asymmetric seats where only one of the seats is wide enough for an adult or you need to make the seats high enough to be over the prop-shaft. I'd say any problems with the M3W prop-shaft-bevel-box-toothed belt are much more connected with the implementation of the arrangement than the arrangement itself. It's very interesting that the new bevel box comes from a different manufacturer.
The new car does look good in the photos and videos. Don't think I'll be rushing out to buy one though.

Re: The Super 3 - 26/02/22 09:11 AM

not this year, but I'll order one in the near future, this is better then I hoped it would be

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: chocadoodledoo

Re: The Super 3 - 26/02/22 12:35 PM

My Verdict Paul,
I went to the launch with much scepticism.
With several Three Wheelers and a +4 in the stable already I wondered where the new 3W sat.
It was an incredibly good launch evening, clambering over the cars then gave an idea of what it was all about. However as we drove back to The Abbey Hotel afterwards to have a few beers I was unconvinced.
Having been invited back to the factory again first thing Friday morning we were allowed free rein to look at the car in more depth.
The sheer technical input was evident in abundance, the option list massive. Pick your use, pick your spec and off you go into the sunset !
I suddenly found myself falling in love with it both styling wise and technically.
It has an appeal to me but in a different way to my other Morgan's.
I totally get the design concept now and whilst it may not suit everyone with such quirky styling it is definitely a Morgan 3 for the modern world.
It is destined to be a true Morgan Tourer.
Good Luck Morgan Motor Co with the superbly named Morgan Super 3.
Have to say though we still enjoy Touring in our 1934 Matchless SuperSports which we used to drive up from Somerset to the event.
Ian Parkinson
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tim W

Re: The Super 3 - 26/02/22 03:04 PM

Good to see your views on the Morgan Super 3, Ian. I can see a great deal of excellence in the design and the update to modern standards is really impressive. I have always regretted selling-on my M3W: it gave me (and the family) a huge amount of fun - especially our French Albert Ball trips.
[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...=960&height=720&fit=bounds[/img]
The 4/4 that replaced it was an elegant car but it took up too much space in the workshop and was a pain to get into and out of that space. The new Super 3 will only just go through the doors, but the rest of the shape is good for access. The fact that it is a more weather-proof design would allow it to stay outside more. Are there any pictures of it with the full windscreen?

Plenty of food for thought…

Tim
Posted By: Malcolm M3W

Re: The Super 3 - 26/02/22 04:03 PM

From the pre release teaser pictures I was skeptical, but now having seen the pictures upon release, I think it better than I epxected it to be. The front is fine bar the cover for the steering rack. That is the bit that bothers me, but the rest looks good. On the sides I am undecided about the barge boards and out board luggage racks, The rear looks good and to me definately links back to older models. Overall its a thumbs up from me! Not that is worth much as very happy with my 5 speeder!

Re: The Super 3 - 26/02/22 07:53 PM

Thanks Ian - good assessment.
That extra width is a bit of an issue for folks like me with 1930s garages. I wonder if they tried the side radiators further back behind the front wheels on lock, which might have enabled a slimmer track... although that may have compromised the side blade luggage system...

Next: I wonder how much the bevel box upgrade will be for M3W5sps (and what will we abbreviate Super 3s to... MS3? smile )
Posted By: Teme

Re: The Super 3 - 26/02/22 09:26 PM

I am quite keen to understand what the specs of the EV version will be and when it will be available.

And on the other hand, would really like to hear how this Super 3 sounds - is it even close to the character of the old V-twin…

But overall, I quite like what Morgan has done!

Re: The Super 3 - 27/02/22 12:29 PM

Almost 88 Years have passed by in a flash.
Vintage meets modern !
The First F2 produced by Morgan in 1935 takes a cursory look at the MORGAN SUPER 3
This lovely F2 is owned by Paul Isaacs.
Ian Parkinson
[Linked Image]
Posted By: The Austrian

Re: The Super 3 - 27/02/22 01:44 PM

I am glad I had a M3W. Was fun and looked great.
The Super 3 design is for guys with a different taste.

MMC is moving away from the classics. Time will tell if this is the right decision

Re: The Super 3 - 27/02/22 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by chocadoodledoo
Almost 88 Years have passed by in a flash.
Vintage meets modern !
The First F2 produced by Morgan in 1935 takes a cursory look at the MORGAN SUPER 3
This lovely F2 is owned by Paul Isaacs.
Ian Parkinson

Awesome photo. Thanks for posting, Ian. I still think Morgan could have added some sort of chrome grill/cowl option on the front for those wanting a bit of a throwback vibe. However, I think MOrgan has done a good job with the new model and obviously they have made the new car more functional. But I am still happy to keep my M3W.
Posted By: Robert MB

The Super 3 Engine - 28/02/22 02:23 PM

I think this is the engine used: Ford Duratec 1.5L (non turbo-charged)

Attention: this is not the "Dragon"-engine, which is a whole lot alike, but turbo-charged.

Now I am trying to figure out if the Duratec has direct injection... thinking of GDI clogging frown
Posted By: Deejay

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 28/02/22 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Robert MB
I think this is the engine used: Ford Duratec 1.5L (non turbo-charged)

Attention: this is not the "Dragon"-engine, which is a whole lot alike, but turbo-charged.

Now I am trying to figure out if the Duratec has direct injection... thinking of GDI clogging frown

Morgan Motor Company website clearly states that this is an inline Dragon engine. I think that has variable valve timing.
The turbo version is the ecoboost.
I believe that the dragon uses a combination of both GDI and port injection, the latter in an attempt to mitigate the problems of valves sooting up. How effective that will be, only time will tell!

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 28/02/22 03:25 PM

It is definitely the Ford Dragon engine.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tech...-5l-3-cylinder-dragon-petrol-engine.html

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 28/02/22 03:33 PM

Glad that's hidden away, not exactly a looker is it.

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 28/02/22 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by PeterG

But nicely configured with a vertical orientation to maximize leg room on the front of a Morgan while stashed under the bonnet.

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 28/02/22 06:49 PM

It looks quite a tall engine too, I wonder what the ground to sump clearance is, MMC has form on this with the 4 wheelers

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 28/02/22 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by CraigL

But nicely configured with a vertical orientation to maximize leg room on the front of a Morgan while stashed under the bonnet.

I'll take the extra legroom anyday over looks.
Posted By: Noah

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 28/02/22 08:13 PM

It's not clear to me how the engine layout maximizes legroom, unless the seats are so far apart that nit allows legs to be beside the engine.

Are they?

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 28/02/22 08:20 PM

The engine is forward of the footwells, having seen it about 2/3rds of the engine is under the front cowl. The under bonnet area only housing air intake and battery etc. The engine is very small, at the launch it’s footprint was said to be not much larger than an A4 piece of paper.

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 01/03/22 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Noah
It's not clear to me how the engine layout maximizes legroom, unless the seats are so far apart that nit allows legs to be beside the engine.

Are they?

The engine is a transvere mounted ingine. So it is wide while taking up very little depth. If you look up any of the videos of the engine that is the normal mounting configuration, which easily accomodated Morgan for finding a small footprint engine. Whereas I don't like it as much aesthetically as having a v-twin up front, I think it is a natural for this application.

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 01/03/22 04:48 AM

And when you get tired of the small Ford Engine, you can always install the new Nissan 1.5L three cylinder, 400HP engine since it looks roughly the same size. Would this be for the Morgan Super 3 Super Super?
Nissan News 400HP engine
Posted By: JMD

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 01/03/22 07:50 AM

Waiting with interest to sit in one as the tank under one seat and storage under the other is going to raise the driver and could make wind in the hair turn into chest buffeting for tall drivers like us. Also the width could be a challenge on rural roads...

Not seen anything on it but presume the spec continues to eschew driver aids like ABS and traction controls. This is a bit of a concern as most younger drivers have never driven anything without these and can get caught out (I know this having given a couple of youngsters a go with me as passenger....)

As others have commented, the custom fron tyres could be a concern but getting the current Avon/Blockley when on a tour would not be simple...the key will be a good dealer with stock and DHL or equiv.

Overall a nice piece of design....just hope the reliability engineering has been properly done!

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 01/03/22 07:57 AM

Are they?

The engine is a transvere mounted ingine. So it is wide while taking up very little depth. If you look up any of the videos of the engine that is the normal mounting configuration, which easily accomodated Morgan for finding a small footprint engine. Whereas I don't like it as much aesthetically as having a v-twin up front, I think it is a natural for this application.

The engine is mounted longitudinally. It's just a very small footprint - about the same as an A4 sheet of paper
Posted By: Fox Terrier

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 01/03/22 08:07 AM

I always fancied getting a "bare bones" 4/4 to drive to race circuits and have fun hooning around before driving home again. I think the Super 3 could fit that bill quite nicely. With wind deflectors and a rack for a couple of spare tyres and tools it came to around £44k on the configurator.
Posted By: PJC

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 01/03/22 09:34 AM

And when you get tired of the small Ford Engine, you can always install the new Nissan 1.5L three cylinder, 400HP engine since it looks roughly the same size. Would this be for the Morgan Super 3 Super Super?
Nissan News 400HP engine

If you put a 400BHP engine in a Super 3 it'd be slower than standard as the rear wheel would just spin until the tyre melted
rofl

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 01/03/22 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by JMD
Waiting with interest to sit in one as the tank under one seat and storage under the other is going to raise the driver and could make wind in the hair turn into chest buffeting for tall drivers like us. Also the width could be a challenge on rural roads...!

My nipper is 6ft 4” and has no issues driving it.

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 01/03/22 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JMD
Also the width could be a challenge on rural roads...

Overall a nice piece of design....just hope the reliability engineering has been properly done!

The overall width is disappointing for what I would class as a small sports car. One of my gripes with most modern "sports cars" is that I find them simply too wide for rural roads which is their natural habitat.

Trad Morgans and classic sports cars have far more suitable dimensions. The MGB is only 5'0" wide and I expect most trads are in the same region.

Re: The Super 3 Engine - 01/03/22 11:02 AM

Anyone know who makes the new MS3's wheels?

Re: The Super 3 - 01/03/22 12:27 PM

The width is 140mm less than my Alpine inc.mirrors which is perfectly suited to back roads of the UK and is considered a petit (use of the French language smile )modern sports car. The Super 3 is a small "modern" vehicle in comparison with virtually everything except Plus Four/Six.

Re: The Super 3 - 01/03/22 01:03 PM

The width is 140mm less than my Alpine inc.mirrors which is perfectly suited to back roads of the UK and is considered a petit (use of the French language smile )modern sports car. The Super 3 is a small "modern" vehicle in comparison with virtually everything except Plus Four/Six.

There you go again confusing the issue with facts laugh2

I don't consider my Plus 8 with 16" X 7" rims wide on our local (Dartmoor) lanes, compared to anything I meet it's narrow and mine is fitted with a reverse gear unlike the SUV's I encounter doh....

Re: The Super 3 - 01/03/22 01:32 PM

You can't see much detail but here's the launch night video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7y6lrL0Vco

Re: The Super 3 - 01/03/22 03:44 PM

Jon that looks like an I've got a fat cheque book vid to me rofl not a car one thumbs
Posted By: JJR

Re: The Super 3 - 01/03/22 05:14 PM

Does anybody know when the Super 3 is going to be at dealers? I heard it was originally planned for May but has already slipped to June. On a separate note MMC seem to be very coy about how the car sounds. Apart from a moment on today's Act II video I've not heard the engine and/or exhaust at all.

Re: The Super 3 - 01/03/22 05:35 PM

MMC are planning for May but anticipate some supply chain issues (particuallry for anything with a chip in it) so June is probably more likely.

I don't think they are being deliberately coy about the sound as they say they only have 3 engine run modules which are being swapped between the prototypes. These are currently prioritised for the validation cars to build test mileage. The earlier engineering prototypes used for the launch are without these modules so at the moment can't be run.

All those I spoke to at the launch who had heard the car said it had a good rasp and sounded similar to a straight six which can't be bad. I'm sure we will hear it for real as soon as they can.
Posted By: aerotaff

Re: The Super 3 - 01/03/22 06:34 PM

There's a little twat lives up the road he has an aftermarket exhaust on his fiesta same engine I think, sounds fruity not the ST model....

Re: The Super 3 - 01/03/22 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by +8Rich
Jon that looks like an I've got a fat cheque book vid to me rofl not a car one thumbs

Indeed, some of us will recognise at least one person who already owns several reassuringly expensive sports cars smile

Re: The Super 3 - 01/03/22 06:55 PM

Indeed, some of us will recognise at least one person who already owns several reassuringly expensive sports cars smile

I spotted John H, the affable multiple Morgan owner and a couple of others...

Re: The Super 3 - 01/03/22 07:53 PM

Exhaust sound has been a very important feat for this car. One of the reasons for avoiding a turbo.
Posted By: Jays ex Nero

Re: The Super 3 - 02/03/22 09:33 PM

Is this the first Morgan without an ash frame? I thought I detected a glimpse of ash under the dash….a token gesture perhaps although I may be wrong. Certainly the body doesn’t need a frame.

Re: The Super 3 - 02/03/22 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jays ex Nero
Is this the first Morgan without an ash frame? I thought I detected a glimpse of ash under the dash….a token gesture perhaps although I may be wrong. Certainly the body doesn’t need a frame.

There is no ash anywhere.

Re: The Super 3 - 02/03/22 10:36 PM

Unless you select the optional Natural Ash Veneer for the dashboard at £595 for gloss or £645 for matte finish eek

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 12:51 AM

Unless you select the optional Natural Ash Veneer for the dashboard at £595 for gloss or £645 for matte finish eek

And of course, in some religions and cultures this is Ash Wednesday. However, I agree that the Catholic churce is one of the only places you will find Ash today. Mr. Wells mentioned in one of the interviews that there was no ash in the Super 3.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 06:26 AM

Act III

Nice video with a tiny teasing amount of exhaust note.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 08:04 AM

Pretty video...care obviously being used with the rght foot given the slippery green stripe in the middle of the road and the gravel tracks....

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 08:59 AM

Someone will have nicked their tent by the time they get back from their hike.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 09:11 AM

And here I was thinking they have forgotten their tent, then realized there was nowhere to put it.
Posted By: 60Yards

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 09:33 AM

I like it a lot more than its predecessor.

Since (if?) Morgan is planning on an electrical version, it would be nice if they would offer the possibility to convert existing cars from ICE to electric in the future.
That would give them an enormous advantage in today's market with a lot of people considering whether to invest in another ICE car of wait for a good (enough) electric or hydrogen alternative.
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 09:35 AM

Act III

Nice video with a tiny teasing amount of exhaust note.

... barely audible behind the booming foreground music!

Youtube version for the FB averse...

youtu.be/8om-X7l6UuM
Posted By: Robbie

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 09:41 AM

Look like the same place used for the CXT video - are they planning an offroad 3 wheeler?
Posted By: linklaw

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 11:54 AM

After a half mile on that dirt road, the luggage and interior will be so filthy it will take a day to clean it. I live on a dirt road and the dust in the cockpit, under the boot id and on the rest of the car is unbelievable.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 01:25 PM

Going up a dirt track with gravel in the middle is bad news for a pebble trapped in the belt.
As I found out with my M3W…

Tim

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tim W
Going up a dirt track with gravel in the middle is bad news for a pebble trapped in the belt.
As I found out with my M3W…

Tim

To many that would be known as a "Red Leader" road smile

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 03:25 PM

I live on 3 miles of steep mountain dirt track before reaching "proper" roads (they too tend to be dusty) so constantly live with mud, stones and inches of dust. Have never experienced a stone in the belt have had one on the head from a passing off roader. I installed a plastic trailer mudguard that encompasses the tyre and goes all the way down at the rear to level with the bottom of the bodywork (that is the secret), that made a huge difference in the amount of dirt and dust thrown up. I then sealed the rear compartment, bonnet and cabin bulkheads using 1/2 and 1 inch water pipe foam insulating strips, this has significantly reduced the amount of dust that gets in. Now I just have to seal the drivers head from the dirt laugh2

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 03:31 PM

Friend of mine ordered one
75K€ in Belgium

Trying to cinvince him to go to Malvern before specc’ing it

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1560
75K€ in Belgium

I think he would be taking a huge risk to spec it without seeing one in the flesh. The 3 cars at the launch had various colours/option and comparing the details the hypothetical spec I came up with had a few differences to what I would have thought.
Posted By: 3wheelsaregood

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 05:04 PM

Just a thought, I wonder if the side storage pods mounts are to house removable battery packs in the future?

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 06:20 PM

One thing I noted early on in the launch, the hardpoint brackets do not seem to be mounted in a standard direction. I would think that you would want the mount opening to be towards the front of the car, so that as you attach any accessory, it slides to the rear, and air resitance is your friend. If the opening is put to the rear, any item without a tightened braket might slide back. Maybe they will figure that out later.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by 3wheelsaregood
Just a thought, I wonder if the side storage pods mounts are to house removable battery packs in the future?

Think roadside repair kits :-)
Posted By: Dab of oppo

Re: The Super 3 - 03/03/22 11:56 PM

I think it should sound pretty good, my daughter had a Kia Picanto with a 1 ltr 3 cylinder lump and if you caned it, it sounded like half a 911.
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 06:31 AM

I agree, my daughter's first car was a Citroen C3 and she now has the Peugeot equivalent. There is something very satisfying about the sound of the 3 cylinder engine.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 08:47 AM

Certainly does on a Gresley Pacific…

Tim
Posted By: DaveW

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 10:59 AM

Another vote for 3 cylinders, our previous Polo Diesel sounded very sporty, even with a limited rev band.

And the centre cylinder never ran hot............... (Railway Geek Gag) grin2

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 11:02 AM

If you're a much more skilled model engineer than I am, and fancy an Anzani 3-cylinder, have a look at https://youtu.be/mhWjBZntY7Q

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 11:07 AM

The positive Frankel view of the Super 3 thumbs
Posted By: nippymog

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 11:07 AM

If they are that small ( reported above as a sheet of A4 ) , bolt two together and get a 6 cylinder, proper job.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by nippymog
If they are that small ( reported above as a sheet of A4 ) , bolt two together and get a 6 cylinder, proper job.

Great idea but there's not much spare room under the bonnet.
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tim W
Certainly does on a Gresley Pacific…

Tim

thumbs smile

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 01:47 PM

Good honest commentary by Mr Frankel. Not sure all Morganistas will like it!

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 01:48 PM

One thing I noted early on in the launch, the hardpoint brackets do not seem to be mounted in a standard direction. I would think that you would want the mount opening to be towards the front of the car, so that as you attach any accessory, it slides to the rear, and air resitance is your friend. If the opening is put to the rear, any item without a tightened braket might slide back. Maybe they will figure that out later.

Like everything on this car, that was a considered decision.

The force from braking (or impact) was considered greater than from wind or acceleration. Regardless there are 4 knobs that need tightening and a pin/lock that prevents it sliding off even if all the knobs came lose.
Posted By: 3Gs

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 03:13 PM

The force from braking (or impact) was considered greater than from wind or acceleration.

Maybe orient the side-board receivers vertically, and let gravity help?

These clips are also beside the windscreens, what are those intended for?

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 03:16 PM

Yes that was my thoughts but as you say it won't suit all tastes, I think it's a huge leap forward for the company.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 3Gs
The force from braking (or impact) was considered greater than from wind or acceleration.

These clips are also beside the windscreens, what are those intended for?

They hold the screen down and can be used to clamp accessories down such as GoPro etc

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 06:07 PM

Yes that was my thoughts but as you say it won't suit all tastes, I think it's a huge leap forward for the company.

I have to agree with Mr Frankel, which is why I really want to drive one.
The looks of it are growing on me as well.

The Plus 8 is a driving experience, but is not what can be called a good handling modern car, which suits me.... I've driven a few of the cars that motoring journalists rave about and wasn't always impressed. But then, I'm not a motoring journalist. So perhaps a car that impresses the "muttering rotters" will not impress me.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Peter J

I have to agree with Mr Frankel, which is why I really want to drive one.
The looks of it are growing on me as well.

The Plus 8 is a driving experience, but is not what can be called a good handling modern car, which suits me.... I've driven a few of the cars that motoring journalists rave about and wasn't always impressed. But then, I'm not a motoring journalist. So perhaps a car that impresses the "muttering rotters" will not impress me.

I am looking forward to having a drive at some stage, I think this model has all the ingredients of a dynamic touring vehicle full of fun without deafening you.
Not likely to buy one though as her good self only occasionally comes out in the Plus 8 and this would be a non starter.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 08:16 PM

Do what’s good for you.
My woman has never ever had any influence over what cars I buy.

But she does have an big influence on the ones she buys.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 08:29 PM

Motoring Journalists are just the same as Movie Critics to me, I don't listen to them and go by my own instincts.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/03/22 10:36 PM

Do what’s good for you.
My woman has never ever had any influence over what cars I buy.

But she does have an big influence on the ones she buys.

Yes you are right, that's how I ended up with my Plus 8, I've got a feeling this new car is going to feel good so you never know..

Mine has strong feelings about her cars too so fair enough.
Posted By: Bert Varady

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 02:13 PM

Been a lot of comments about the looks of the front. I’d like to see someone post a good photoshop picture with a grill, either F type or modern curved style. I am sure a picture would answer those who think it needs something to finish it off.

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 02:59 PM

Any bets the 1st *automatic gearbox* Morgan 3 wheeler will be announced within 2 years? smile

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 03:10 PM

I'd say it is a certainty.... as is a Super 3E

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 03:14 PM

Looking forward to the pedal one smile

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bert Varady
Been a lot of comments about the looks of the front. I’d like to see someone post a good photoshop picture with a grill, either F type or modern curved style. I am sure a picture would answer those who think it needs something to finish it off.

I love the look aid the front end, looks purposeful

I think if a grill were fitted it would completely change the concept. (Not in a good way)
Posted By: rockabilly john

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 05:03 PM

The love hate relationship with the Super 3 will continue for as long as the car is in production, much like with the 5 speeder.
Personally, i`m glad that i have 5 speeder.

Something that nobody has considered, is, will insurance companies insure your car in your area,

From personal experience, living in London, i cannot get insurance unless i have a garage. Not much use when living in terraced house.
Luckily my car although new and untested will be soon exported to Malaysia. Where my wife has a house with a courtyard.
When i spoke with Adrian Flux last year there was a chap in Birmingham with same problem. I wonder how he got on?

Over the last year i have been unsuccessful in getting insurance from: Gott&Wynne, headley, Hegerty, Adrian flux to name but a few.
Although Adrian flux did say last year they would insure it if left in the street but there would be no cover between the hours of 2200 and 0600.
Peter best, and NFU mutual also had no interest.
Those insurance companies that do list a Morgan 3 wheeler are only interested in cars made before the the current 5 speeder.

Of course if there are insurance companies out there looking, they would do well to let us know.

Food for thought.
Posted By: Player99

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 05:04 PM

Taste is different. For me the front of the car looks ugly and not finished.

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 06:25 PM

Its the back end I most dislike, it reminds me of the Jetsons car but not in a good way.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 07:03 PM

Can't see anything about the design that I don't like, granted haven't seen one in the flesh and will definitely make up my mind after a test drive but I have cancelled the new kitchen and diverted those funds to build a summer house/garage in the garden, then get saving. spend

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by rockabilly john
The love hate relationship with the Super 3 will continue for as long as the car is in production, much like with the 5 speeder.

Something that nobody has considered, is, will insurance companies insure your car in your area,

From personal experience, living in London, i cannot get insurance unless i have a garage. Not much use when living in terraced house.
Luckily my car although new and untested will be soon exported to Malaysia. Where my wife has a house with a courtyard.
When i spoke with Adrian Flux last year there was a chap in Birmingham with same problem. I wonder how he got on?

Over the last year i have been unsuccessful in getting insurance from: Gott&Wynne, headley, Hegerty, Adrian flux to name but a few.
Although Adrian flux did say last year they would insure it if left in the street but there would be no cover between the hours of 2200 and 0600.
Those insurance companies that do list a Morgan 3 wheeler are only interested in cars made before the the current 5 speeder.

Of course if there are insurance companies out there looking, they would do well to let us know.

Food for thought.

Am I right in thinking 'lock ups' and garages to rent near you are very expensive and as rare as rocking horse p.. ?

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by rockabilly john

Food for thought.

I'm with Gott & Wynne and the "Garaging Clause" that has been introduced is based on value not the car. I recall the threshold is £35k so most M3Ws and 4 wheeler's are also going to get caught up come renewal time. I tried shopping around and those insurance companies that quoted all had the same garage requirement.
Posted By: rockabilly john

Re: The Super 3 - 07/03/22 10:40 PM

CooperMan Hi,
Lockups are super rare, i enquired 2 years ago from local councils in the area with no reply. Although if available are super cheap.
CCTV controlled entry and exit spaces are available in the Olympic area for about £100 a month.

Re: The Super 3 - 08/03/22 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tomhez
Originally Posted by deano

You can afford it and keep it my garage. (assuming you are who i think you are)

Hi Tom found you.
Posted By: Scartans72nad

Re: The Super 3 - 08/03/22 08:52 PM

Does anyone have any information about the rear suspension ? Is it a cast aluminium single sided swing arm with a disc brake( ideal ) or a double sided steel swing arm with a drum brake making a tire change difficult ?

Re: The Super 3 - 08/03/22 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scartans72nad
Does anyone have any information about the rear suspension ? Is it a cast aluminium single sided swing arm with a disc brake( ideal ) or a double sided steel swing arm with a drum brake making a tire change difficult ?

The cars at the launch had double sided steel swinging arms with a drum brake. There is a lot more room for a tyre change as the petrol tank is now under the LHS seat floor rather than pannier tanks each side of the rear wheel.

Re: The Super 3 - 11/03/22 08:10 PM

Does anyone know what shock absorbers they are using front and back? It would also be nice to see pictures showing stages of construction, engine installation, suspension etc. We technoids like to see that!
Posted By: JohnMat

Re: The Super 3 - 11/03/22 10:24 PM

Here's the Director's Cut of the launch video!
Apologies if this has already been posted, I had not seen it before.

Posted By: Luddite

Re: The Super 3 - 12/03/22 08:19 AM

Classy vid, I hope it creates lots of sales to keep the guys and girls at the factory working hard. I do like music, but the vid seems to lack much in the way of the sounds of driving the machine which for me is very much a part of the whole Morgan experience..?

Re: The Super 3 - 12/03/22 08:54 AM

There is a lot more room for a tyre change as the petrol tank is now under the LHS seat floor rather than pannier tanks each side of the rear wheel.

There's a segment in the video (around 4:05) where I really worry for those custom tyres.....and who's going to deliver/airlift a spare ??

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 18/03/22 08:52 AM

So, Shmee is getting a Super 3.

[Linked Image]

No matter what you think of Shmee and his painted on false smile, this has to be great news for MMC. You just can't buy that kind of media exposure. Check out the full video HERE.

Update: Less than 24hrs since uploading his video, around 50,000 people have viewed it. There will be several more videos too following his Super 3 journey.

Re: The Super 3 - 18/03/22 09:41 AM

So, Shmee is getting a Super 3....

If I understand it correctly, this is a pro video blogger who gets enough funding from his video blogs' ad revenue to pay for the cars he buys and records? I presume he doesnt keep them long in order to keep up the generation of a diverse set of material for his viewers... how long did he keep his M3W I wonder?

Re: The Super 3 - 18/03/22 09:48 AM

Yes, you're right about his business model. He is obviously a smart cookie and a real car enthusiast but I find it difficult to get past his permanent 'smile'.
I believe he kept his M3W for around a year but it was a 2013 model which would have needed lots of upgrades so I can't blame him for selling it.

Re: The Super 3 - 18/03/22 10:03 AM

I like this video, where Guy feigns interest, but is obviously rather underwhelmed with it all smile

Re: The Super 3 - 18/03/22 10:25 AM

Yes, you're right about his business model. He is obviously a smart cookie and a real car enthusiast but I find it difficult to get past his permanent 'smile'.
I believe he kept his M3W for around a year but it was a 2013 model which would have needed lots of upgrades so I can't blame him for selling it.

Yes, kept for just over a year and was resold without the wrap so back to Willow Green. It was fairly early days for Youtube car bloggers and as I recall he did videos on collecting from the factory, the wrapping and driving around London.

Re: The Super 3 - 18/03/22 04:27 PM

No matter what you think of Shmee and his painted on false smile.....

Always makes me think of this clip from Red Dwarf https://youtu.be/RXKlC8ph7mM

Re: The Super 3 - 18/03/22 04:58 PM

I also find Shmee a bit on the annoying side. However, his YouTube channel does quite well and he is able to keep up with a lot of exotic cars. Are UK tax laws anywhere close to US tax laws so he can write off the new cars as valid business expenses? Good work if you can get it. All you have to have is a plastic surgery permanent smile on a Habsburg jaw, and a selfie stick permanently attached to your arm and you are good to go.

Re: The Super 3 - 18/03/22 06:58 PM

...All you have to have is a plastic surgery permanent smile on a Habsburg jaw, and a selfie stick permanently attached to your arm and you are good to go.

LOL! smile
As one who also occasionally appears in videos for my work, I have to say his continuous delivery and/or editing is pretty slick.

Re: The Super 3 - 18/03/22 10:30 PM

As one who also occasionally appears in videos for my work, I have to say his continuous delivery and/or editing is pretty slick.

Oh, annoying or not, the guy does work hard. In a video with Johnny Smith, it was noted that Schmee had posted an unreal number of videos, so that it averaged something like 1.2 videos a day (I think it was in this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uBaEPBtyO8&t=928s). You have to appreciate his work ethic even if you don't like his videos much.

However, when one is scouring YouTube for Morgan 3 Wheeler videos, you are going to have to watch a couple of Schmee videos.

For the record, I really like Johnny Smith, BTW. I find him informative and entertaining.

Re: The Super 3 - 19/03/22 07:54 AM

Oh, annoying or not, the guy does work hard. In a video with Johnny Smith, it was noted that Schmee had posted an unreal number of videos, so that it averaged something like 1.2 videos a day (I think it was in this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uBaEPBtyO8&t=928s). You have to appreciate his work ethic even if you don't like his videos much.

For the record, I really like Johnny Smith, BTW. I find him informative and entertaining.

Yes, I like Jonny Smith and his unassuming 'bloke next door' style very much. MMC obviously like him too because he got the Super 3 launch event hosting gig. BTW, That Shmee/Jonny interview was a disaster when first posted because Jonny's mic wasn't mixed in. A rare mistake and I'm glad to see it's been rectified now. I'll find time to re-watch it.

Re: The Super 3 - 19/03/22 08:37 AM

Yes, I like Jonny Smith and his unassuming 'bloke next door' style very much.

Me too.

Re: The Super 3 - 19/03/22 09:01 AM

We went to Paris to see it
great welcome by Steven and Nico from Morgan Belgium

In the flesh the design is just perfect, wouldn't know what to do different: congrats to Morgan Design team
It is BIG compared tot the previous 3whlr, you just cant throw it on the sidewalk and hop in to the butcher's shop, you'll have to park it like a car

Personally I would paint the cowl in bodywork color, and the little piece of bodywork under the front structure black

Re: The Super 3 - 19/03/22 10:25 AM

I am enjoying the new S3 configurator (US) / configurer (UK):
  • matt colour might be a good alternative to the pricey decorative logos etc
  • kite decal breaks up the side blades
  • not sure how well the side carriers will work with typical road muck / light fingered brigade when parked - probably the rear luggage rack is still more practical for long distance touring vs picnics
  • full windscreen looks bland compared to the M3W's (Morgan or Fairbourne) and misses the central strut to put on a rear view mirror
  • footwell heater is probably a good idea vs the heated seats (which will probably vary with your view on the latter - I have them and dont use them)

Re: The Super 3 - 19/03/22 10:44 AM

I went up to Morgan London with my woman to see it this.

Mightily impressed with it. Great detail and more impressive in real live.

Loads of leg room too.

Can’t wait for delivery day
Posted By: AnotherBelgian

Re: The Super 3 - 21/03/22 03:51 PM

75K€ in Belgium

That would be me wink

Re: The Super 3 - 21/03/22 03:54 PM

I am enjoying the new S3 configurator (US) / configurer (UK):
  • matt colour might be a good alternative to the pricey decorative logos etc
  • kite decal breaks up the side blades
  • not sure how well the side carriers will work with typical road muck / light fingered brigade when parked - probably the rear luggage rack is still more practical for long distance touring vs picnics
  • full windscreen looks bland compared to the M3W's (Morgan or Fairbourne) and misses the central strut to put on a rear view mirror
  • footwell heater is probably a good idea vs the heated seats (which will probably vary with your view on the latter - I have them and dont use them)

Matte is nice, but I am afraid of issues when it requires some paint retouching because of scratches etc.
Right about the kite decal, but the side blades aren't that shocking IRL. They blend in. In the configurator they stand out a lot more, I agree.
I presume it should be ok-ish, better than the previous one as they adapted the mudguards over the front wheels to throw less spray (you won't get it all over your face when driving through a puddle in a sharp turn this time), but pretty sure they will look horrid after a ride in the rain. Then again so will the rear rack because of turbulence.
Heaters are a good idea. Can't have enough of those laugh

Re: The Super 3 - 21/03/22 06:57 PM

Agree 100% about heaters...
The Plus 8 has good seat heaters, a powerful footwell heater but no heated steering wheel.

As I used to say when riding a bike with a heated seat, heated grips and a heated jacket, any fool can be cold!

Re: The Super 3 - 23/03/22 11:59 AM

I've got a heated steering wheel, heated seats and a preheater in my daily driver laugh

Re: The Super 3 - 23/03/22 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by AnotherBelgian
I've got a heated steering wheel, heated seats and a preheater in my daily driver laugh

So have I happy3
Posted By: olwyn

Re: The Super 3 - 23/03/22 11:48 PM

So much for the motorbike engine as mentioned by a Morgan spokesperson in an earlier interview. Earlier speculation on this forum about which motorbike engine Morgan was going to use detracted from other speculation discussion regarding other expected features of the next gen 3 wheeler.

The 1.5 non-turbo Ford car engine is not sold in the US so it's not (yet) EPA certified. The question then is, will FORD UK, EPA certify the engine for Morgan (as S&S did with the the V-Twin)? Will Morgan pay for EPA certification? (higher cost and longer wait time.) Will Morgan send the Super3 to the US sans engine where the turbo version would be installed? Note: The same engine in turbo form was offered in the 2021 ECO-Sport mini SUV so EPAed, now only the 2.0l is sold in the USA.

Re: The Super 3 - 24/03/22 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by olwyn
So much for the motorbike engine as mentioned by a Morgan spokesperson in an earlier interview. Earlier speculation on this forum about which motorbike engine Morgan was going to use detracted from other speculation discussion regarding other expected features of the next gen 3 wheeler.

The 1.5 non-turbo Ford car engine is not sold in the US so it's not (yet) EPA certified. The question then is, will FORD UK, EPA certify the engine for Morgan (as S&S did with the the V-Twin)? Will Morgan pay for EPA certification? (higher cost and longer wait time.) Will Morgan send the Super3 to the US sans engine where the turbo version would be installed? Note: The same engine in turbo form was offered in the 2021 ECO-Sport mini SUV so EPAed, now only the 2.0l is sold in the USA.

Interesting questions here olwyn

Re: The Super 3 - 24/03/22 07:11 AM

The Super 3 is being promoted in the US with a $70,000 price tag and availability in the third quarter of 2022. I read an article that said they were waiting for final certification, so it appears ths process is underway.

Re: The Super 3 - 24/03/22 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by olwyn

This is what I speculated a long time ago...and close enough I think innocent
http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/707837/re-new-3-wheeler#Post707837
Posted By: P Dron

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 10:16 AM

Does anyone know which company supplies the new bevel box?

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 11:00 AM

It gets mentioned in one of the plethora of videos I think so you'll have to trawl through them.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 11:46 AM

I thought it was still Quaife?

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lance

If you have a reference for that, please give it. I have read on here and elsewhere that it is no longer from Quaife.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 01:02 PM

Another thing - is any ash used in the Super 3? If so, is it just a token thing, as in the Plus Six/Plus Four?

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by P Dron
Another thing - is any ash used in the Super 3? If so, is it just a token thing, as in the Plus Six/Plus Four?

None, it's the first Morgan without any wood, unless you have an optional dash.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 02:00 PM

And another thing... A question for anyone who has examined the cockpit of the Super 3, better still sat in it...

I am 6ft 3in tall and was quite comfortable in my 2013 M3W, provided I wore my racing shoes. But I would have preferred the pedal-box area to be a few inches wider, to provide a rest for my left foot. The Super 3 is 120mm/4.7in wider overall than the vee-twin M3W, but has enough of that been incorporated in the cockpit?

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 04:30 PM

If you have a reference for that, please give it. I have read on here and elsewhere that it is no longer from Quaife.

It is defiantly no longer Quaife.

One of Morgan's investors owns an automotive transmission company with major global car companied as customers. His company are manufacturing a new bevel box with revised internal gears. The case mountings are the same as the Quaife box so it MAY be possible to retrofit the Super3 box to the M3W however I don't know if that has been confirmed.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 04:43 PM

And another thing... A question for anyone who has examined the cockpit of the Super 3, better still sat in it...

I am 6ft 3in tall and was quite comfortable in my 2013 M3W, provided I wore my racing shoes. But I would have preferred the pedal-box area to be a few inches wider, to provide a rest for my left foot. The Super 3 is 120mm/4.7in wider overall than the vee-twin M3W, but has enough of that been incorporated in the cockpit?

MMC claim the Super3 is 100mm wider than the M3W. I'm 6ft and sat in all 3 of the Super3's at the launch. The cockpit is a bit wider however the transmission tunnel is a bit higher and has square sides so makes the seat feel about the same at the base of your bottom but there is a bit more hip room. The steering wheel adjusts for reach and rake and the pedals can be moved for and aft by the driver with a toggle release. With the pedals in the furthest forward position another owner who has the M3W pedals fully forward could touch but not press the Super3 pedals so there is more legroom.

The 3 launch cars had 14" flat steering wheels but there are options for 13" which based on my M3W would give a bit more space for the larger driver.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 04:59 PM

Yes it accommodates long people.

My nipper is 6.4 and happily fits

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 07:23 PM

But does it have a resting space to the left of the clutch pedal?

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 07:37 PM

Surely they must have one out in France you could look at, I saw one being demonstrated at a show over there on a Faceache site during the week.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 07:51 PM

No it doesn't

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 07:55 PM

No it doesn't

I suppose it qualifies as a trad.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/03/22 08:04 PM

Actually, let me qualify my answer.

I didn't notice a footrest to the left of the clutch in any of the 3 launch night cars. However these were 12 month old engineering prototypes so may not be representative of the final production cars. For example, one had fixed top mounted pedals whereas another had the adjustable floor mounted pedals.

Re: The Super 3 - 26/03/22 07:13 PM

Italian - Graziano perhaps?

Re: The Super 3 - 27/03/22 02:17 AM

Is it true that the old double sided steel swing arm with a steel wheel is used in the rear? If it’s true, that would be truly disappointing. That means you would have to disassemble the rear suspension to fix a flat. Even the $ 25,000 Vanderhall has a single sided aluminium swing arm and bespoke aluminium wheel and disc brake. Does anyone know what the final production rear suspension will be on the “all aluminium “Super 3 ?
Posted By: KBMOG

Re: The Super 3 - 31/03/22 10:29 AM

I am really surprised that the new Super 3 still has the same double-sided steel rear swinging arm as used on the M3W.
When we are told that so much thought and innovation has gone into the design and development of this latest 3 wheeler, I would have expected the rear suspension to be a single sided cast aluminium (or suitably fabricated steel) swinging arm to facilitate easy removal of the rear wheel if stuck with a puncture miles from home.
This should have been one of MMC's major priorities.
So much for progress!

Keith

Re: The Super 3 - 31/03/22 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by KBMOG
I am really surprised that the new Super 3 still has the same double-sided steel rear swinging arm as used on the M3W.
When we are told that so much thought and innovation has gone into the design and development of this latest 3 wheeler, I would have expected the rear suspension to be a single sided cast aluminium (or suitably fabricated steel) swinging arm to facilitate easy removal of the rear wheel if stuck with a puncture miles from home.
Keith
+1

Re: The Super 3 - 31/03/22 01:00 PM

So much for progress!

Keith

I agree. I was hoping for either shaft drive or something like the drive system of the VW GX3.

Re: The Super 3 - 31/03/22 07:46 PM

I guess the "Cro-Morgan" approach to some of their engineering is still there!

Re: The Super 3 - 01/04/22 10:05 AM

There is plenty of innovation to go wrong in the med/long term.....I am curious about the stresses the alloy cradle for the engine/front suspension will face....

Re: The Super 3 - 02/04/22 06:53 PM

So much for progress!

Keith

I agree. I was hoping for either shaft drive or something like the drive system of the VW GX3.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 02/04/22 07:34 PM

Is there any idea as to insurance classification/group, as with a one piece chassis and a 2 piece body, its not going to be easy or cheap to repair?

Re: The Super 3 - 02/04/22 08:55 PM

Thanks to Rog G for those great pics. That swing arm looks rugged enough. Hopefully they have worked out an easy way to remove the wheel. Maybe the M3W services disc brake conversion will fit as well.
Posted By: planenut

Re: The Super 3 - 02/04/22 11:06 PM

That whole back end does look very familiar to a M3W owner. ABS and/or traction control looking at the rear wheel sensor? A wider axle with a Continental made drive belt rather than the Gates. The bevel box looks externally the same although must have some better internals than the Quaife noise box, interchangeable maybe? An alloy single side swing arm would have been so much better although more costly I expect. Nice close fitting mudguard as standard?
Posted By: DaveW

Re: The Super 3 - 03/04/22 07:44 AM

Those images were taken yesterday. Only two Super 3's were in build, one silver and one a sort of pale metallic rose gold.

The demo cars were not around, so must be away at the dealers maybe.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/04/22 03:43 PM

The " ABS sensor "is most likely for the speedometer.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/04/22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by planenut

An alloy single side swing arm would have been so much better although more costly I expect. Nice close fitting mudguard as standard.

No need, a steel tube fabrication would work fine.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/04/22 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by planenut

That whole back end does look very familiar to a M3W owner. ABS and/or traction control looking at the rear wheel sensor? A wider axle with a Continental made drive belt rather than the Gates. The bevel box looks externally the same although must have some better internals than the Quaife noise box, interchangeable maybe? An alloy single side swing arm would have been so much better although more costly I expect. Nice close fitting mudguard as standard?

From an engineering point of view Ian I think a single sided swing arm would work best with bevel box on the wheel, less so with belt drive.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/04/22 06:26 AM

The BMW K models have a single sided swing arm, with a wheel Bevel Box. The single arm also houses the prop shaft. A neater mechanical solution at the wheel, but then you have the issue of the prop shaft angles (or just ignore it and plough it through the seat).

The K Bevel Box did have a habit of stripping its teeth needing replacement (even big manufacturers get it wrong)

The Honda GL1800 also use a single sided swing arm and wheel bevel box (as Larsen uses) and these are much more reliable, but again have the prop shaft issue.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/04/22 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by TBM
The BMW K models have a single sided swing arm, with a wheel Bevel Box. The single arm also houses the prop shaft. A neater mechanical solution at the wheel, but then you have the issue of the prop shaft angles (or just ignore it and plough it through the seat).

The K Bevel Box did have a habit of stripping its teeth needing replacement (even big manufacturers get it wrong)

The Honda GL1800 also use a single sided swing arm and wheel bevel box (as Larsen uses) and these are much more reliable, but again have the prop shaft issue.

Yes I remember on the K1 I had years ago. On the negative side you have greater unsprung weight though and that weird rise 8n suspension when you accelerate, unless you have a floating BB with torque reaction back to frame.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/04/22 10:32 AM

There must be a hell of a lot more sideways stresses and forces with a three wheeler than with a motorcycle that leans around corners.

Hugely expensive too

Re: The Super 3 - 05/04/22 01:39 AM

There must be a hell of a lot more sideways stresses and forces with a three wheeler than with a motorcycle that leans around corners.

One would think so, but when leaned over bump forces are transmitted with only partial dimunition by the suspension.

What is hugely expensive?

Re: The Super 3 - 05/04/22 05:15 PM

One would think so, but when leaned over bump forces are transmitted with only partial dimunition by the suspension.

What is hugely expensive?

Bevel box

Re: The Super 3 - 05/04/22 06:26 PM

To clarify, that means that the wheels are being hammered sideways by bumps.

Re: The Super 3 - 07/04/22 02:13 AM

Lets hope Phil Bleasey makes us some mounting hardware to mount up that new bevel box, to replace our air-raid sirens. I know that the racket that mine emits makes driving the car more than 45 minutes a chore.

Re: The Super 3 - 22/04/22 08:58 AM

Good morning all,

Does anybody have any news on the Super 3. Since the launch it all seems to have gone very quiet and as far as I know there are none at the dealers yet.

Anybody know anything?

Re: The Super 3 - 22/04/22 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by JJR
Good morning all,

Does anybody have any news on the Super 3. Since the launch it all seems to have gone very quiet and as far as I know there are none at the dealers yet.

Anybody know anything?

I was at the factory on the 2nd April, and they hadn't got the production 'line' set up for them yet, so I imagine it'll be a while.

I think they had one on show at the Salon Prive event in London.

Re: The Super 3 - 22/04/22 02:18 PM

At the launch they said they planned ot start production mid April with delivery to UK dealers late May/early June. This might slip if there are supply chain issues with some key components such as the engine run modules.

Re: The Super 3 - 22/04/22 08:28 PM

My first thoughts when I saw the new three-wheeler; can't imagine I'm the only one.
I see many Opportunities for the after market? hide

Not my best work, but due to lack of time, we are now leaving for a Morgan weekend in Flanders fields and the north of France with MOG-BELGIUM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Because I don"t like to live online I'll see the comments on Monday.

Re: The Super 3 - 22/04/22 08:36 PM

I think the grill really works! Great job.

Re: The Super 3 - 22/04/22 08:53 PM

Paul.

Love the word you have done. You should send it to Jonathan Wells.

John

Re: The Super 3 - 22/04/22 10:08 PM

that is a great looking grill👍

Re: The Super 3 - 23/04/22 04:51 AM

Agreed. It looks right.
Posted By: Alan Patterson

Re: The Super 3 - 23/04/22 05:57 AM

It works for me

Re: The Super 3 - 23/04/22 06:28 AM

Although not my cup of tea, I'd of thought you'll have to extend the cowl quite a bit to cover the front casting which I believe are also the engine mountings and to follow the dipping line of the cowl you'd end up with a rather reduced grill area.

Re: The Super 3 - 23/04/22 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by TBM
Originally Posted by JJR
Good morning all,

Anybody know anything?

I was at the factory on the 2nd April, and they hadn't got the production 'line' set up for them yet, so I imagine it'll be a while.

I think they had one on show at the Salon Prive event in London.

Correct, thumbs I shall be posting some images including tasty close-ups of the front suspension when we get back home uoop north

Re: The Super 3 - 23/04/22 07:15 PM

Another observation on the 3 is that the tires are actually centered in the mudguards/fenders.

Re: The Super 3 - 23/04/22 07:24 PM

OMG
Sorry but that’ really hurts my eyes

DO NOT send that to Jonathan

Re: The Super 3 - 23/04/22 07:55 PM

I like that look alot
Nick

Re: The Super 3 - 23/04/22 10:42 PM

That's an improvement....

Re: The Super 3 - 24/04/22 12:50 AM

I like the grill. Always thought it would have come with one and fit in the the other Morgans.

Re: The Super 3 - 24/04/22 11:55 PM

Curious.

How well is the new Super 3 selling ( ie. orders waiting fulfillment )? Has anybody heard?

Re: The Super 3 - 25/04/22 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by MATTMOG

[Linked Image]

What a huge improvement, looks great!

Re: The Super 3 - 25/04/22 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sportster
Curious.

How well is the new Super 3 selling ( ie. orders waiting fulfillment )? Has anybody heard?

MOG mag stated 300 build slots this year and approximately 500 per year thereafter. A dealer told me they had sold all of their allocated builds for this year before the launch.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/04/22 10:22 AM

Thanks.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/04/22 07:01 PM

So as promised some shots of one of the test Super 3's as displayed in London this weekend

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 25/04/22 07:38 PM

The footwell and bar below the dash look very unfinished!

Re: The Super 3 - 25/04/22 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JohnMat
The footwell and bar below the dash look very unfinished!

This is one of the 12 month old Engineering prototypes so not necessarily representative of production.

Re: The Super 3 - 26/04/22 04:14 AM

So as promised some shots of one of the test Super 3's as displayed in London this weekend

Thank you for posting the pictures. Two notes: first, I can only imagine how hard it is to get a single digit licesne plate registered in the UK. smile

Secondly, the adjustible peddle box is a great addition. I hope they are able to do more to cover up the sliding rails. That looks both hell for shoes and a cleaning nightmare with all the stuff that would fall down there.

I hope Morgan does well with it. Again, I'm glad to have the five speeder.

Re: The Super 3 - 26/04/22 10:52 AM

Thank you for posting the pictures. Two notes: first, I can only imagine how hard it is to get a single digit licesne plate registered in the UK. smile

Transfering a registration to a car/bike is a fairly easy process in the UK and is free (as long as it meets certain critieria - you are not allowed to make a car appear 'younger').

However, buying a 'single digit' number plate is a different matter - a double digit plate is usually £400K, so I can imagine a single digit being in excess of £1m.

The '3' on the Super 3 will be for show purposes only and not permitted on the road.

Re: The Super 3 - 26/04/22 06:51 PM

Secondly, the adjustible peddle box is a great addition. I hope they are able to do more to cover up the sliding rails. That looks both hell for shoes and a cleaning nightmare with all the stuff that would fall down there.

I hope Morgan does well with it. Again, I'm glad to have the five speeder.

Talking to the chap (he has a freelance test driver) manning the display, it was an early version and they are working on a neater floor / adjustable pedal system that will not need a contortionist with a box of spanners to adjust.

The lack of trim to some of the interior was due to this being an actual test mule and it had done several 1000's miles on the various test tracks at Millbrook proving ground https://www.millbrook.co.uk/

Re: The Super 3 - 26/04/22 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by TBM
.........buying a 'single digit' number plate is a different matter - a double digit plate is usually £400K, so I can imagine a single digit being in excess of £1m.
The '3' on the Super 3 will be for show purposes only and not permitted on the road.

Have a look again at the Launch video. The silver and black ones also bear the number '3' (all at the same time !) So my guess is that it has nothing whatever to do with a real U.K. registration, and (if they are reading this) MMC will be pee'ing themselves laughing that we would think they would squander their resources that way.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 26/04/22 07:41 PM

Have a look again at the Launch video. The silver and black ones also bear the number '3' (all at the same time !) So my guess is that it has nothing whatever to do with a real U.K. registration, and (if they are reading this) MMC will be pee'ing themselves laughing that we would think they would squander their resources that way.

Yep, hence the comment:

Originally Posted by TBM
.The '3' on the Super 3 will be for show purposes only and not permitted on the road.

Re: The Super 3 - 26/04/22 08:55 PM

Apologies if it seemed I was disagreeing with you. As a pastiche wouldn't "S3" have made more sense ? I like this story (often quoted online):
The first car number plate ‘A1’ was famously issued to the Earl Russell, who made his butler queue up overnight at the London County Council offices to secure it back in 1903 when the Motor Car Act was implemented by parliament.

Re: The Super 3 - 26/04/22 09:07 PM

Apologies if it seemed I was disagreeing with you. As a pastiche wouldn't "S3" have made more sense ? I like this story (often quoted online):
The first car number plate ‘A1’ was famously issued to the Earl Russell, who made his butler queue up overnight at the London County Council offices to secure it back in 1903 when the Motor Car Act was implemented by parliament.

3S is apparently available, but it's 'call for price' so imagine over £1m smile

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 07:43 AM

Do you happen to have some decent pictures of the technical fabric used in this one?

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 10:54 AM

Do you happen to have some decent pictures of the technical fabric used in this one?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 01:04 PM

[Linked Image]

The front looks as if a component had been dismantled for repair purposes and not yet re-attached. Just awful...

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 03:06 PM

^^^^^^ Exactly this Jens...

I really do like the rest of the car.

Morgan Park will have a fix within the year I'm sure innocent

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 03:30 PM

I like the whole package, and the front is growing on me - no frillls, functional and utilitarian.

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by TBM
I like the whole package, and the front is growing on me - no frillls, functional and utilitarian.

Exactly. Fits the theme.

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jens
[Linked Image]

The front looks as if a component had been dismantled for repair purposes and not yet re-attached. Just awful...

It is better with the optional spot lamps
[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 09:54 PM

^^^^^^ Exactly this Jens...

I really do like the rest of the car.

Morgan Park will have a fix within the year I'm sure innocent

Indeed - Morgan just had to leave space for a badge bar wink

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jens
[Linked Image]

That's why you specify the extra led lights wink

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 10:19 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks!

Dare I say it actually looks better than some leathers they have?
Really hesitant about speccing it, but I think I need to be able to see it in the flesh.

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 10:25 PM

Here are my pics from Paris:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 10:26 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 29/04/22 10:35 PM

Thanks for that great set of detailed photos rom Paris thumbs
Posted By: TimG

Re: The Super 3 - 30/04/22 03:52 PM

The paint finish on the Paris car looks poor in the photos in several areas , dashboard & front wings. Is that supposed to be a Hammerite finish on the headlamps?

Re: The Super 3 - 30/04/22 04:03 PM

Can't decide which end looks worse, but I reckon the back end wins. Are the trees around Malvern being bred to look like recycled Black & Decker power-tool carrying cases ?

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 30/04/22 04:05 PM

Agreed that looks awful

Re: The Super 3 - 30/04/22 04:09 PM

I thought that too but the finish on my 2009 4/4 Sport was just the same but my earlier Plus 8's have had a superior cellulose finish thumbs Is it a water based paint thing ?

I think that alloy casting at the back end with woodgrain finish looks odd too - probably appreciated by the creatives though but to an engineer it has zero appeal and just looks unfinished a bit like where the waterfall grille should be at the front imho.
Posted By: SimonH

Re: The Super 3 - 01/05/22 08:38 AM

I thought that too but the finish on my 2009 4/4 Sport was just the same but my earlier Plus 8's have had a superior cellulose finish thumbs Is it a water based paint thing ?

I think that alloy casting at the back end with woodgrain finish looks odd too - probably appreciated by the creatives though but to an engineer it has zero appeal and just looks unfinished a bit like where the waterfall grille should be at the front imho.

I don’t think that’s intended to be wood grain
It looks to me like they’ve used a 3D print as the master for the sand cast

It’s all going to look white and furry in very short order once it gets wet

Re: The Super 3 - 01/05/22 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by SimonH

Thanks for the explanation I am pre 3D - that will be getting furry already as that looks like one of the three cars that were filmed roaring along the beach in the sea...

Re: The Super 3 - 01/05/22 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by SimonH
...that alloy casting at the back end with woodgrain finish looks odd too - probably appreciated by the creatives though but to an engineer it has zero appeal and just looks unfinished a bit like where the waterfall grille should be at the front imho.

1. 1st S3 Mod: a pot of multi-metal Hammerite? wink
2. Might be a good reason to wait for the 2023 or 2024 edition if a new buyer (the 2011 M3W was mostly sorted by 2014?).

Re: The Super 3 - 01/05/22 01:59 PM

[/quote]
2. Might be a good reason to wait for the 2023 or 2024 edition if a new buyer (the 2011 M3W was mostly sorted by 2014?).
[/quote]

Way too soon not even in production let alone being driven, 2026 would be the earliest.
Posted By: gaston

Re: The Super 3 - 01/05/22 05:48 PM

I don't understand why they didn't put a front grille.

Re: The Super 3 - 01/05/22 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by gaston
I don't understand why they didn't put a front grille.

Their reasoning is explained in the press release https://www.morgan-motor.com/press-releases/introducing-super-3-the-all-new-morgan/

Like it or loath it at least they have taken a bold new approach rather than try to produce a 3 wheel version of the traditional 4 wheelers.

And by all accounts it is proving popular with this year's production of about 300 vehicles already sold out.

Re: The Super 3 - 01/05/22 11:30 PM

I agree Chris: a grill on the front makes it look like a ‘traditional’ Morgan minus a wheel and, having read that press release, can see their standpoint. It will be interesting to see one in the flesh.

Tim

Re: The Super 3 - 02/05/22 10:58 AM

Praise the Lord,

Tim and Chris you’re spot on.

A smooth curved traditional grill on a super 3 looks a complete mismatch

Re: The Super 3 - 02/05/22 12:15 PM

And by all accounts it is proving popular with this year's production of about 300 vehicles already sold out.
Wow. Quite a lot of pressure on MMC to get it right from the start (unlike the 5-Speeder).

Re: The Super 3 - 02/05/22 01:31 PM

Wow. Quite a lot of pressure on MMC to get it right from the start (unlike the 5-Speeder).

Why would they worry? The M3w carried on selling brilliantly even as all the design problems showed....
smile
Nick
Posted By: MichaelS

Re: The Super 3 - 02/05/22 01:49 PM

Glad to hear of early success with 300 units. Maybe that bodes well for a mid-cycle refresh!
I wonder how the 300 are geographically distributed and what percent are new to Morgan.

For some of us without an M/4-wheeler to risk amalgamation, the waterfall grill will be welcome addition. As much as I appreciate 'function over form', IMHO, without an exposed engine, it looks unfinished (vs. raw), especially at this price point.

The rear reminds me a bit of the '74+ Mercedes R107 and Jag XKE Series 3 (US) DOT-mandated, 5-mph crash 'bumperettes'. Maybe Granny will parallel park this beast at the pub..

On the bright side, I'm glad the Speed 3 is differentiated enough from the M3W to be a potential stable mate. No way will I be the guinea pig and I wouldn't sell a sorted 3W to obtain it, but I'm paying attention....

Re: The Super 3 - 02/05/22 07:48 PM

Yesterday I saw it in the flesh at the introduction at Louwman in Holland.
Have to say, in real life it looks a lot better than on photos.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'm just not convinced of the front end yet. For me it needs something extra, a kind of grill maybe? hide
Posted By: planenut

Re: The Super 3 - 02/05/22 08:26 PM

Not seen it in the flesh yet but I think the optional headlights in the centre improve the looks a lot. I don't think that a "traditional" Morgan grill would make up for the loss of the V-Twin on the front but the interesting aluminium casting goes some way. They tried a Morgan grill with the old F-Type many years ago and they are not the most loved of Morgan 3 Wheelers.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 10:47 AM

I assume that these are the same 3 cars doing the rounds of the launch shows? We finally got to see the green one in the flesh and sit in it last weekend at the Bicester Scramble and I am amazed at how much bigger the thing is than my car - so much more space in the cockpit for us. Very different feel and having looked at the chassis and suspension setup in detail, I am certain that it will be a massively diofferent driving experience - way more modern and familiar to the new breed of potential non-Morgan customers. Looking forward to a drive myself, although I suspect I will be happier with my current black-&-white 1930's driving vibe to be frank smile

[Linked Image]

If I did have a Super3, I'd also spec the extra driving lights for sure.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 12:52 PM

I was really looking forward to the redesigned 3 wheeler with a high probability of buying one. Really liked the concept of a smooth inboard water cooled Ford three cylinder engine.

No matter how much I try to convince myself the new front end looks nice I can’t. I understand function dictates form but this looks unfinished. Very disappointing to me. Why am I speaking up? My way of telling the designers don’t do that again.

However I’m happy for Morgan to hear the alotted build slots for this year have almost sold out and I’m sure the driving experience is great.

Obviously I’ll be keeping my M3W.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 03:46 PM

It does feel like it is missing a typical Morgan radiator between the cowl and the suspension mounts to complete the identity given the engine no longer dominates the view.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 04:08 PM

Looks like a robot Pirate face to me... Yarrrrrrrrr! arr arr arr

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 04:21 PM

From now on I won't be able to look at a Super 3 without seeing a robot pirate in it. thumbs

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 04:40 PM

Sounds like we'd all be a bit happier if it had a nose like this.
[Linked Image]
A great modern twist on a classic theme IMO.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 04:42 PM

That's the one we want to see.. I like the F type look thumbs

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 05:14 PM

Agree - the thin 3-cyl engine would be ideal for a thin nose like that! Those side radiators could also do with some fettling IMHO - if not for aesthetics then for depth eg behind the turning arc of the front wheels? Dang I knew I missed my vocation as a car design .... rofl

Maybe the Malvern team will get their design mojo back for the 3S2? wink

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 06:25 PM

Now that is superb - part Caterham / Atom / Bugatti. A Classic I would be happy to drive.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 06:31 PM

That is exactly the term we are missing.

“ A Classic “.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 06:51 PM

Think a waterfall grill, although great on a 4W would look a little pastiche on a newly designed 3W. The Super 3 is trying to look forward to the future (1950's anyway) Seem to recall bemoaning about the 3W not having a JAP engine ten years ago. I like it and eagerly await my savings adding up for my 2024 delivery.

Re: The Super 3 - 03/05/22 07:03 PM

The front grille and indeed the inlets to the rads is just what I call Expamet mesh, black coated

[Linked Image]

Personally I'm not too keen on how much of the internal rats nest can be seen through it, but it should be easy to swop out for something nice and bespoke, with a water jet cut perforated pattern... perhaps even shiny stainless steel smile

Re: The Super 3 - 04/05/22 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by 3Gs
Looks like a robot Pirate face to me... Yarrrrrrrrr! arr arr arr

[Linked Image]

an ugly robot. mmc wants to sell a kit car and doesnt know how to break the news to the public. A grill will be extra as are many things. I think i had to pay extra for the burned on hand prints on the chrome head piles.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/05/22 01:35 AM

The grill will be a popular add-on

Re: The Super 3 - 04/05/22 07:11 AM

[Linked Image]

I like the front suspension design with the usual unequal length but long wishbones, more particularly though the spherical jointed tie rod operating by fulcrum on short inboard coil over shocks, minimising unsprung weight. This I imagine will provide very compliant front end.

There also might be what constitutes a camber adjustment between outer ends of lower wishbones.

Posted By: Piloto

Re: The Super 3 - 04/05/22 07:43 PM

With just a bit more engineering, the Morgan designers could have left the Iconic V-Twin in place, but gutted of all internals. That would have made for a better front/rear weight distribution, and the motive force could have come from an electric motor in the back, with batteries in the area where the current oil reservoir exists. The bevel box would be history.
Completely feasible with today's electronic technology would have been a "noise generator" that would mimic the incomparable JAP or Matchless sound, properly matched to the throttle position.
Then the machine would have satisfied the purists, the ecology-minded, the techno-freaks, and the European authorities on noise, pollution, etc.

Re: The Super 3 - 05/05/22 03:25 PM

I was at the factory today and saw a number of Super 3s in various stages of build including one that was about to have pretty much the whole front end installed in one stroke. The alloy casting structure that you see around the front of the engine and supporting all of the suspension etc extends to the back of the engine to which the gearbox was attached. This complete unit is offered up to the bulk head and transmission tunnel of the monocoque and attached with eight or ten (I think) bolts. All very simple and to my thinking clever. Maybe you already know this but it was news to me.

There were a couple of great paint schemes and incidentally really good paint finish. Sorry did not have my phone with me for photos.

Re: The Super 3 - 05/05/22 03:56 PM

John, thank you for the explanation of the large feature alloy casting and the clever mounting of the drive train, all news to me.
A bit of a bonus that the paint quality has improved since the preproduction models.

Re: The Super 3 - 05/05/22 04:49 PM

Going with the dummy V-Twin up front and EV drive train. make the V-Twin into a genny and then you have a hybrid or range extender.

Re: The Super 3 - 05/05/22 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dab of oppo
Going with the dummy V-Twin up front and EV drive train. make the V-Twin into a genny and then you have a hybrid or range extender.

I was hoping the MMC relationship with BMW would give access to the i3 Rex drivetrain that uses a tiny motorcycle engine to give the flat batteries a range boost

Re: The Super 3 - 05/05/22 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by JJR
I was at the factory today and saw a number of Super 3s in various stages of build including one that was about to have pretty much the whole front end installed in one stroke. The alloy casting structure that you see around the front of the engine and supporting all of the suspension etc extends to the back of the engine to which the gearbox was attached. This complete unit is offered up to the bulk head and transmission tunnel of the monocoque and attached with eight or ten (I think) bolts. All very simple and to my thinking clever. Maybe you already know this but it was news to me.

There were a couple of great paint schemes and incidentally really good paint finish. Sorry did not have my phone with me for photos.

I was there too today (the aero s1 in the car park)

I’ve seen the Super 3 before but seeing it again today it just gets better and better.

Detail is superb. Complete car outside, (green one) that we examined.

I concur with a previous comment that you really need to see it in the flesh. It really is much better.

Re: The Super 3 - 05/05/22 11:02 PM

Does Morgan do their own welding?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 06/05/22 10:47 AM

That is unacceptable welding...
About my standard!

Re: The Super 3 - 07/05/22 11:45 AM

It's all down to time and cost I suppose. Probably farmed out to a local fabrication shop. Any semi skilled welder would be able to do that when all the parts are held in a jig.

Re: The Super 3 - 11/05/22 05:54 PM

those are prototypes

Re: The Super 3 - 11/05/22 06:05 PM

those are prototypes

So, if you spent a heap of £££ on a new one and it turned up with poor welds, would you reject it ?

Re: The Super 3 - 11/05/22 08:31 PM

Would love to see pictures of construction of the MS3. A picture of the bare aluminium castings and just before attaching to the body might do wonders to help accepting this new model. We really need a YouTube of the whole construction! It just keeps sounding better and better! If I lived in the UK, I would be at the factory in a flash.

Re: The Super 3 - 12/05/22 03:38 PM

those are prototypes

So, if you spent a heap of £££ on a new one and it turned up with poor welds, would you reject it ?

how on earth would I be able to judge welds, they haven't got an X-ray machine at my dealer
Posted By: Budster

Re: The Super 3 - 12/05/22 04:10 PM

About my standard!

Totally agree.
Even if it is a prototype, no supposedly skilled man should view those as acceptable welds,

Bud
4/4 - Stanley

Re: The Super 3 - 12/05/22 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Budster
About my standard!

Totally agree.
Even if it is a prototype, no supposedly skilled man should view those as acceptable welds,

Bud
4/4 - Stanley

Surly Morgan isn't going the take the cheap and shoddy path again.
That's what cost them financially and damaged their reputation with the last effort. .
Probably explains why resale prices for the second generation M3W are going down faster than a fat guy on a sea-saw.....

Re: The Super 3 - 12/05/22 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Budster
About my standard!

Totally agree.

Bud
4/4 - Stanley

Surly Morgan isn't going the take the cheap and shoddy path again.
That's what cost them financially and damaged their reputation with the last effort. .
Probably explains why resale prices for the second generation M3W are going down faster than a fat guy on a sea-saw.....

Didn't you mean up? 7 years ago secondhand cars were 25k, average now for 2012/13 car is nearer 33k Hardly sea-saw unless the fat guy is at the bottom and the 3W is at the top or is it because Australia is upside down, so it's said the other way round...confused 😊

Re: The Super 3 - 12/05/22 11:16 PM

"Didn't you mean up? 7 years ago secondhand cars were 25k, average now for 2012/13 car is nearer 33k Hardly sea-saw unless the fat guy is at the bottom and the 3W is at the top or is it because Australia is upside down, so it's said the other way round...confused "

Sorry Peter, your view is not supported by recent will documented sales in the BaT section - all below expectations. I note some English dealers have recently advertised 2011+ M3W at a "price reduced" to prompt a sale which explains why there are so many for sale and real trades are happening below the offer....

Re: The Super 3 - 13/05/22 06:14 AM

"Didn't you mean up? 7 years ago secondhand cars were 25k, average now for 2012/13 car is nearer 33k Hardly sea-saw unless the fat guy is at the bottom and the 3W is at the top or is it because Australia is upside down, so it's said the other way round...confused "

Sorry Peter, your view is not supported by recent will documented sales in the BaT section - all below expectations. I note some English dealers have recently advertised 2011+ M3W at a "price reduced" to prompt a sale which explains why there are so many for sale and real trades are happening below the offer....

2011, didn't even know you could get one then. One went for $84k recently sold at auction and KH another at £60k granted these are either specials or special editions. US Market (BaT) I don't take much notice of it as I wouldn't purchase a left hooker. Prices will always drop when a new model comes out but they are still far higher than 7 years ago.

Re: The Super 3 - 13/05/22 08:45 AM

Not my experience at all.

I traded in my 2013 M3W with a "high" mileage of 30,000 miles on it for one of the last bespoke M3W's in July 2021. The trade in price I was given was the price I paid in 2013 less the VAT. I see the car has since sold at about 10% more than my original purchase price.

Re: The Super 3 - 13/05/22 02:07 PM

Back on thread laugh2 this is the first Production S3 leaving the Factory today looking very tasty with it's spotlights and nod to a Jack imho.
All racked up and ready to go touring by the look of it, may it bring the lucky owner much joy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 13/05/22 02:45 PM

Back on thread laugh2 this is the first Production S3 leaving the Factory today looking very tasty with it's spotlights and nod to a Jack imho.
All racked up and ready to go touring by the look of it, may it bring the lucky owner much joy.

Indeed, very nice, although the lack of screens is bold (or a supplier delay?)! Hope the owner joins TM and reports on the experience!
Posted By: Chris2002tii

Re: The Super 3 - 13/05/22 02:59 PM

That’s nice to see! I was told the first few will be for car journalists and then the dealerships will get their demonstrators. And then costumer cars after that. So I’m guessing this one will be on every YouTube channel shortly!
I got my name down pretty early and was told to expect a September build date. I can’t wait!

Re: The Super 3 - 13/05/22 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chris2002tii

I got my name down pretty early and was told to expect a September build date. I can’t wait!

Congrats Chris and welcome to TM… feel free to post up your spec’s pic from the Configurator for us all to admire smile

Re: The Super 3 - 14/05/22 07:14 AM

Morgan Three-Wheeler Touring Groups contact at Morgan confirms that silver Super 3 is a Validation Prototype ( one of six)
None yet produced for dealers or customers..
Looking forward to my test drive !
Ian Parkinson
M3W Touring Group

Re: The Super 3 - 14/05/22 07:31 AM

Morgan Three-Wheeler Touring Groups contact at Morgan confirms that Super 3 is a Validation Prototype ( one of six)

A good sign of change at MMC as this will make at least 9 pre production cars that we know about (3 engineering and 6 validation).

Re: The Super 3 - 14/05/22 08:04 AM

Agree Chris, looking forward to a well sorted MOG, ready to GO.

Re: The Super 3 - 14/05/22 09:59 AM

Morgan Three-Wheeler Touring Groups contact at Morgan confirms that silver Super 3 is a Validation Prototype ( one of six)
None yet produced for dealers or customers..
Looking forward to my test drive !
Ian Parkinson
M3W Touring Group

Sorry for misleading information - I copied it from Denis Glavis's Facebook site where he announced it as the first customer car. It does look good.

Re: The Super 3 - 14/05/22 04:24 PM

Yes, a prototype.

It’s BMW Silverstone Metallic so it has a hint of blue which doesn’t show in this pic.

Re: The Super 3 - 18/05/22 02:42 PM

Video of Super 3 starting, yesterday at Goodwood https://vimeo.com/711243870

Re: The Super 3 - 18/05/22 03:26 PM

Sounds a little underwhelming on the video - was it better in real life?

Re: The Super 3 - 18/05/22 03:30 PM

Nope !

Re: The Super 3 - 18/05/22 04:04 PM

Nope !
I guess it is what it is!

Re: The Super 3 - 18/05/22 08:37 PM

Sounds pretty good to my ear

Re: The Super 3 - 18/05/22 09:56 PM

I was there one week ago and I can confirm they are still building prototypes. They have delays. Nobody knows when the first dealer cars will be made or arrive. Latest guesstimate is June/July.

Gives me plenty of time to think about what exteriour color to take. It's driving me nuts laugh Too many options (aka infinite)

Re: The Super 3 - 18/05/22 09:58 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 01:05 AM

Thanks for the photos. These are the first actual engine photos I've seen.

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 03:19 AM

thanks for the photos, they show more than the promo photos.

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 06:44 AM

Great photos - still looking to see how the exhaust is routed? The top photo shows the crate engine exhaust lower left…

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 06:59 AM

Great photos - still looking to see how the exhaust is routed? The top photo shows the crate engine exhaust lower left…

The exhaust runs down the centre of the car, into a silencer under the drivers seat, UK, then backwards and up through a 90 degree bend another small silencer another 90 degree bend to bring it horizontal again and out through the hole in the side of the car.

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 07:58 AM

I was there one week ago and I can confirm they are still building prototypes. They have delays. Nobody knows when the first dealer cars will be made or arrive. Latest guesstimate is June/July.

Gives me plenty of time to think about what exteriour color to take. It's driving me nuts laugh Too many options (aka infinite)

Me neither, not even been on the configurator yet.
I’m gonna leave the colour and spec to my Boys.

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 09:03 AM

The exhaust runs down the centre of the car, into a silencer under the drivers seat, UK, then backwards and up through a 90 degree bend another small silencer another 90 degree bend to bring it horizontal again and out through the hole in the side of the car.

Ah - thanks Rog - I must have been looking at a coolant pipe! Forgot about those wink

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by JJR

The picture below is "borrowed" from AnotherBelgian (without his permission but many thanks) and shows the casting structure I refer to in my original post. This is all assembled on a rig and is then offered up to the monocoque and attached with the eight or ten bolts. I hope this explains what I was trying to describe.
Thanks again to AnotherBelgian

[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 12:50 PM

Even accounting for perspective that engine looks huge!
I was expecting to see something the size of a large bike engine.
Are they now fitting 2 ltr engines ?

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 03:22 PM

Even accounting for perspective that engine looks huge!
I was expecting to see something the size of a large bike engine.
Are they now fitting 2 ltr engines ?

MMC claim the engine footprint is not much larger than an A4 sheet of paper.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 03:26 PM

Thanks" Another Belgian" for the wonder photos- very reassuring for those of us in the colonies who can't easily get to the factory.

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 03:47 PM

I have to say the more I see of the Super 3 the more I like it. My spec would be £50k, which is in the realms of realistic daydreaming too.

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 05:32 PM

I bet its the sump that is A4 size !
I have seen pictures of it as fitted to the US Ford Bronco, a bit like a UK Freelander, and it there isnt much room left in the bonnet.

Some interesting guff on it here : https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tech...-5l-3-cylinder-dragon-petrol-engine.html

Standout facts in that thread for me were :
The crank centreline is offset from the pistons to reduce bore wear and friction , sounds interesting.
The accessory drive belt dips in oil to reduce friction and noise, sounds horribly familiar as a fix to an issue ?

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 05:59 PM

The accessory drive belt dips in oil to reduce friction and noise, sounds horribly familiar as a fix to an issue ?

It's the primary drive, or cam drive that is "belt-in-oil", which is what nippymog probably meant as a fix to a familiar issue...

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by sbarracl

It's the primary drive, or cam drive that is "belt-in-oil", which is what nippymog probably meant as a fix to a familiar issue...

It was indeed , my mistake, thanks for pointing it out

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 09:26 PM

When I look at the inner reinforcement/ structure of the hood in the background, I wonder how many parts are still being manufactured at MMC...

Edit: "inner boot lid".......

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by bmgermany
When I look at the inner reinforcement/ structure of the hood in the background, I wonder how many parts are still being manufactured at MMC...
I was looking for a hood for the Super3 but realise you meant boot lid. wink

Re: The Super 3 - 19/05/22 09:43 PM

Sorry from Germany -I just just edited my post..

Re: The Super 3 - 20/05/22 09:07 AM

That really is a very different animal to our 5-Speeders. That complete engine/suspension unit and how it bolts up to the monocoque is very modern road-car thinking althoug it has been used in hi-end motorsport for years. Audi famously had a 'rear module' spec'd as a single part-number to all intents and purposes, used in their earlier Le Mans models (R8, R10, R15 etc). When they had a failure of some sort - be it suspension, gearbox, engine malady for example - rules permitted them to change that single component, handily fixing everything in one hit - or something like that anyway.

The rigidity of that engine/suspension unit will be absolute and aside from a potentialy higher CofG, I suspect the handling will be superb, with none of the interesting traits our cars have shown throughout their lives. Whether that makes character is personal opinion, but I expect those first Press Drives in the near future will rave about it. Having said that, my car was such a hoot at Goodwood this week that the old "If it ain't broke...." tagline is firmly flying around my head right now thumbs

Re: The Super 3 - 20/05/22 01:28 PM

With no crush zones apparent, I would be concerned about front end impact forces being driven back to the passenger and driver by those rigid castings.

Re: The Super 3 - 20/05/22 03:43 PM

I view my overall safety in much the same vein as riding a motorcycle, which could end badly in the case of any shunt, whichever way you look at it in such a small and vulnerable vehicle. I take your point though and it would be interesting to know what hoops MMC have had to jump through in terms of Homologation for the new car - things are probably an awful lot tighter now than they were in 2011 when they aligned the then new M3W to the regs?

Re: The Super 3 - 20/05/22 07:49 PM

With no crush zones apparent, I would be concerned about front end impact forces being driven back to the passenger and driver by those rigid castings.

You should consider it a motorcycle with more protection, rather than a car with less laugh

Re: The Super 3 - 20/05/22 07:50 PM

I view my overall safety in much the same vein as riding a motorcycle, which could end badly in the case of any shunt, whichever way you look at it in such a small and vulnerable vehicle. I take your point though and it would be interesting to know what hoops MMC have had to jump through in terms of Homologation for the new car - things are probably an awful lot tighter now than they were in 2011 when they aligned the then new M3W to the regs?

Since it's homologated as a motorcycle I don't think it needs to comply to any crash test smile
Posted By: BARDI1949

Re: The Super 3 - 21/05/22 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by MATTMOG
My first thoughts when I saw the new three-wheeler; can't imagine I'm the only one.
I see many Opportunities for the after market? hide

Not my best work, but due to lack of time, we are now leaving for a Morgan weekend in Flanders fields and the north of France with MOG-BELGIUM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Because I don"t like to live online I'll see the comments on Monday.

Posted By: BARDI1949

Re: The Super 3 - 21/05/22 12:32 PM

https://flic.kr/p/2nmgbk7

Re: The Super 3 - 21/05/22 07:46 PM

That's not an improvement at all IMO smile

Re: The Super 3 - 22/05/22 08:15 AM

Wholeheartedly agree
Posted By: Super 3 CH

Re: The Super 3 - 22/05/22 10:50 AM

[Linked Image]
Side by side comparison

Hi Rog G,

Would you (or any other kind forum member) have by any chance more pictures of the Super 3 on the left? I know the color is "Desert Glow Silver Metallic" and I have ordered my Super 3 in this color - based only on press photographs and YouTube videos... I am wondering if it is more "Silver" or more of a "Beige/Brownish" color. Very hard to tell if you cannot see the color in person. Help would be highly appreciated! Safe driving to all of you.

Re: The Super 3 - 22/05/22 10:53 AM

Wholeheartedly agree

Likewise...

Re: The Super 3 - 22/05/22 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Super 3 CH
[Linked Image]
Side by side comparison

Hi Rog G,

Would you (or any other kind forum member) have by any chance more pictures of the Super 3 on the left? I know the color is "Desert Glow Silver Metallic" and I have ordered my Super 3 in this color - based only on press photographs and YouTube videos... I am wondering if it is more "Silver" or more of a "Beige/Brownish" color. Very hard to tell if you cannot see the color in person. Help would be highly appreciated! Safe driving to all of you.

I would say it is more beige than silver.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: The Super 3 - 22/05/22 03:36 PM

Dear Rog G - wow, that was quick! Thank you so much for the additional pictures. It helps a lot and is in line with that "Fighter Jet / Desert Combat Vehicle" look I was going for. Kind regards, Adrian.

Re: The Super 3 - 31/05/22 12:08 PM

If anyone's interested, MMC has linked all the Super 3 videos via this access...

https://lnkd.in/eCJfbYih
Posted By: stevenvillatoro

Re: The Super 3 - 04/06/22 04:14 AM

Morgan stated having made efforts to allow for a reduced turning circle. Has anyone seen the actual stats on this?

I’m surprised by how much I’m liking the Super 3.

Re: The Super 3 - 04/06/22 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Morgan stated having made efforts to allow for a reduced turning circle. Has anyone seen the actual stats on this?

I’m surprised by how much I’m liking the Super 3.

Don’t be surprised, you’re only human wink

Re: The Super 3 - 04/06/22 03:46 PM

Now that it's June, is there any update on MS3 production? Are they still building prototypes or are they now building customer cars? Are they on schedule- ahead or behind for some reason? More pictures of construction or completed cars always appreciated for us expats. Thanks

Re: The Super 3 - 05/06/22 11:05 AM

Now that it's June, is there any update on MS3 production? Are they still building prototypes or are they now building customer cars? Are they on schedule- ahead or behind for some reason? More pictures of construction or completed cars always appreciated for us expats. Thanks

I will be traveling to the UK to join a Factory Tour this coming Tuesday. Very excited about this as I have a Super 3 on order with expected build slot in September. So I guess your questions are the same as mine (On schedule? Photos of cars in production or already finished...). Hope to share an update here later next week.
Posted By: HeadlessBlue

Re: The Super 3 - 06/06/22 01:25 PM

Did anyone else watch the new series of TopGear last night? I’m sure the new Super 3 was in front of the three presenters when they opened the show…looked great imho
HB
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: The Super 3 - 06/06/22 03:46 PM

Yes, it was. And that was the only view of it frown

Re: The Super 3 - 06/06/22 05:06 PM

Yeah. I was hoping they would mention or acknowledge it. I wonder if it’s gonna feature on this season?

Re: The Super 3 - 06/06/22 08:10 PM

Looking forward to more pictures and news from Super 3 CH . Also, I have seen several reports that the rear wheel (rim) is steel, and no confirmation that the new front wheels are tubeless. Does anyone know these answers? Although it is probably too early, I wonder if the disc brake that M3W Services sells for the rear of the 3Wheeler will fit the MS3 as well. Exciting times!

Re: The Super 3 - 07/06/22 06:44 AM

Looking forward to more pictures and news from Super 3 CH . Also, I have seen several reports that the rear wheel (rim) is steel, and no confirmation that the new front wheels are tubeless. Does anyone know these answers? Although it is probably too early, I wonder if the disc brake that M3W Services sells for the rear of the 3Wheeler will fit the MS3 as well. Exciting times!

The front wheels are tubeless and the rear is alloy, at least they were on the 3 cars at the launch. The Super 3 has a rear drum brake, the rear swing arm is similar to the M3W but sufficiently different that I don't think the M3W Service disc brake would be a direct fit, but would not be too difficult for them to modify their disc kit slightly to fit.

Factory Visit Photos - Super 3 - 08/06/22 03:48 PM

Sorry by accident I opened a completely new thread instead of posting the pictures here - so if you are interested, they are here:

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/744007/factory-visit-7-6-2022-super-3-photos

Sorry for the inconvenience oops

Re: Factory Visit Photos - Super 3 - 14/06/22 05:50 PM

But....
Can I retrofit this new "improved" bevel box?

Re: Factory Visit Photos - Super 3 - 15/06/22 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Draggin
But....
Can I retrofit this new "improved" bevel box?

At the launch we were told that externally and the mountings of the new bevel box were the same for the Super 3 as the current Quaife version, and they certainly looked the same.

Re: Factory Visit Photos - Super 3 - 15/06/22 08:00 AM

I guess the drive sprocket may not be the same, but this should be 'easily' swapped. Interesting to note that (on this prototype at least) there are no guide plates.
[Linked Image]

Re: Factory Visit Photos - Super 3 - 15/06/22 11:15 AM

New video is online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biQzsrPJZnk

Re: Factory Visit Photos - Super 3 - 15/06/22 12:24 PM

Even the drain plug placement on the new box seems the same - partially hidden behind a mounting plate, doh.
There also appears to be a plate under the drain placed nicely to catch drips ! tidy.
Either that or it will spread lost oil everywhere as you move off .....

Re: Factory Visit Photos - Super 3 - 15/06/22 02:20 PM

Even the drain plug placement on the new box seems the same - partially hidden behind a mounting plate, doh.
There also appears to be a plate under the drain placed nicely to catch drips ! tidy.
Either that or it will spread lost oil everywhere as you move off .....

Maybe the thought was for MMC to remove the BB to drain the gear oil? Could not add to much to the cost of maintenance could it? :-)

Re: Factory Visit Photos - Super 3 - 15/06/22 02:24 PM

Just saw this on Instagram

The car sounds epic. Very air cooled 911

Re: Factory Visit Photos - Super 3 - 15/06/22 06:52 PM

Just saw this on Instagram

The car sounds epic. Very air cooled 911

Just seen it a few minutes ago - exactly my thoughts! It will be an absolute fun to drive it hard around the mountain passes of Switzerland. WOHOO! drive happy3

Re: Factory Visit Photos - Super 3 - 15/06/22 08:59 PM

Does the Super 3 have the same brake parts, master cylinder, etc. as the CX cars? Just a thought.

Re: The Super 3 - 16/06/22 09:53 AM

Fill ya boots all of you doubters

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/2022-morgan-super-3--ph-review/45817

Re: The Super 3 - 16/06/22 10:16 AM

Autocar's report in the magazine his week was equally positive.
I shall drive one.
As soon as there are dealer demonstrator machines.

Re: The Super 3 - 16/06/22 11:14 AM

https://youtu.be/9R-1Ktrv4bc

Re: The Super 3 - 16/06/22 12:11 PM

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a40296252/2022-morgan-super-3-drive/

Re: The Super 3 - 16/06/22 03:09 PM

Zero to 62mph...3.0 secs, surely a typo ??

Or is TC & launch control on the options list ? And some huge cojones as you slew sideways into the scenery laugh2

Re: The Super 3 - 16/06/22 03:22 PM

5 stars from Autocar! https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/morgan/super-3

Re: The Super 3 - 16/06/22 08:50 PM

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a40309870/morgan-super-3-review/

Re: The Super 3 - 16/06/22 10:00 PM

The Daily Telegraph has some bad news
The only distraction is the bevel box in the belt drive system which squawks, grates and moans. With the rough-and-ready S&S V-twin this wasn’t such a problem, but the Ford’s low-rev refinement contrasts wildly, so owners might think the drivetrain is broken.

Re: The Super 3 - 17/06/22 09:08 AM

The Daily Telegraph has some bad news
The only distraction is the bevel box in the belt drive system which squawks, grates and moans. With the rough-and-ready S&S V-twin this wasn’t such a problem, but the Ford’s low-rev refinement contrasts wildly, so owners might think the drivetrain is broken.

Given the history of the bevel box that's not a good omen. Considering that it was a "clean sheet" design I think the final drive set-up is a bit disappointing, particularly as the rest of the car seems to have hit the spot.

Re: The Super 3 - 17/06/22 10:26 AM

Great review by Catchpole on YouTube. Get a great sense of how it feels and sounds on the road.

Don’t know how to link it

Re: The Super 3 - 17/06/22 10:30 AM

Here’s the link.

https://youtu.be/9R-1Ktrv4bc

I’m interested to hear more about the sports exhaust mentioned on the video. It wasn’t available when I specced mine. So I’m tempted to get in touch to see if I can add it.
Posted By: ProfessorM

Re: The Super 3 - 17/06/22 12:21 PM

I'm about to spec mine and will also ask as that exhaust sounds perfect for the car. I am wondering if Catchpole meant the stainless steel exhaust option which is on the configurator...?

Re: The Super 3 - 17/06/22 12:23 PM

Nice review by Catchpole, he really gets what Morgans are all about. Nice to hear the car too, I think it sounds lovely. I've said it before, but the more I see of this car, the more I like it.

Re: The Super 3 - 17/06/22 02:01 PM

Me too, but it looks rather wide now for our narrow lanes

Re: The Super 3 - 17/06/22 03:22 PM

Should you get more details on the sport exhaust, please share here as I have the same question. Car already specced but that option was not available at the time...

Re: The Super 3 - 17/06/22 07:41 PM

It’s not a factory fit option as it won’t comply with regs

With be dealer fit

Re: The Super 3 - 18/06/22 12:46 AM

Interesting to note from the videos that with the front wheel spacing , the body shape and front end aerodynamics, I would suggest that these cars are a lot less likely to suffer from the sudden aquaplaning that affected the previous M3W.

Re: The Super 3 - 18/06/22 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by waikiore
Interesting to note from the videos that with the front wheel spacing , the body shape and front end aerodynamics, I would suggest that these cars are a lot less likely to suffer from the sudden aquaplaning that affected the previous M3W.

Not sure this will be the case as the main aquaplaning effect is the build up of water in front of the wider rear tyre exacerbated by relatively low overall weight. Never heard of the narrow front wheels suffering.

Key lesson for 3 wheelers is making sure the rear tyre has decent tread depth to clear water and avoiding/slowing down for stretches of standing water....same applies to many 4 wheel cars that have wide/low profile tyres.

Re: The Super 3 - 18/06/22 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by JMD
Originally Posted by waikiore

Not sure this will be the case as the main aquaplaning effect is the build up of water in front of the wider rear tyre exacerbated by relatively low overall weight. Never heard of the narrow front wheels suffering.

Key lesson for 3 wheelers is making sure the rear tyre has decent tread depth to clear water and avoiding/slowing down for stretches of standing water....same applies to many 4 wheel cars that have wide/low profile tyres.

Perhaps that's why the rear tyre fitted now is of the winter / all season type ?

Re: The Super 3 - 18/06/22 08:51 PM

Sorry I will clarify that I was referring to the rear wheel, and short of running into a deep puddle I believe the factory has made a significant improvement, ie the rear tyre will no longer be fed jets of water from forward.
Posted By: nestor59310

Re: The Super 3 - 18/06/22 09:24 PM

I think the reviews from journalists are very good.
Regarding the exhaust, if I ordered a super3 tomorrow, I would choose it with a standard exhaust. And I would make a custom stainless steel exhaust after delivery, like I did for my MTW....

Re: The Super 3 - 24/06/22 10:04 PM

Motoring down from Glenfinnan to Carlisle today via Oban and Inverary and saw a Super 3 going the other way. I think it was one of the "prototypes" that I saw in the factory on a recent visit. Porsche metallic green if I wasn't mistaken. It looked great. The more I see these cars the more I fancy one.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/06/22 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Super 3 CH
Should you get more details on the sport exhaust, please share here as I have the same question. Car already specced but that option was not available at the time...

Spoke to the dealer yesterday. The S/S exhaust is now standard. The only exhaust option is colour, white or black. So if you specced S/S when ordering, your final price will now be less.

The sports exhaust is not on the options list yet and I’m not sure, if it ever will be, it might only be an aftermarket market part. Either way, it won’t be a problem adding it further down the line.

Though he did mention that a Quad Lock phone holder and a Seat Step Protection are now on the options list. They weren’t there for my initial order. I asked to have them added along with the BeeLine navigation. Not sure yet if he was successful. as the order is now locked in. Hopefully he got it sorted.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/06/22 08:23 AM

From what I've been told the sports exhaust will be offered as an aftermarket "option" due to legislation. Similar to the sports exhaust/stage 1 on the previous 3W.

Re: The Super 3 - 25/06/22 02:49 PM

Thank you for the update. Good news. Stainless steel exhaust certainly makes sense to me - you do not want the exhaust pipe to start rusting, regardless of whether you specced it to be white or black...
Posted By: thierry242

Re: The Super 3 - 26/06/22 10:05 AM

This afternoon we are going to the presentation of the super3 in the new garage Albert building. They have moved from the origin garage wich was born in 1954.

Re: The Super 3 - 26/06/22 04:15 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://tm-img.com/images/2022/06/26/IMG_7300.jpg[/img]
[img]https://tm-img.com/images/2022/06/26/IMG_7302.jpg[/img]
[img]https://tm-img.com/images/2022/06/26/IMG_7311.jpg[/img]
[img]https://tm-img.com/images/2022/06/26/IMG_7312.jpg[/img]
[img]https://tm-img.com/images/2022/06/26/IMG_7313.jpg[/img]
[img]https://tm-img.com/images/2022/06/26/IMG_7314.jpg[/img]
[img]https://tm-img.com/images/2022/06/26/IMG_7315.jpg[/img]
[img]https://tm-img.com/images/2022/06/26/IMG_7316.jpg[/img]

Re: The Super 3 - 26/06/22 05:22 PM

Not a bad looking car...

The way the hand brake and gear lever are arranged makes me think that the car is set up to be LHD...
And what are the little fins on the headlamp pods???

Re: The Super 3 - 26/06/22 05:51 PM

Not a bad looking car...

The way the hand brake and gear lever are arranged makes me think that the car is set up to be LHD...

The (minute !) LED front indicators, good luck seeing those on a sunny day nono

Re: The Super 3 - 26/06/22 06:58 PM

Not a bad looking car...

The (minute !) LED front indicators, good luck seeing those on a sunny day nono

The launch cars all had the handbrake on the right and the gear lever on the left regardless of LHD or RHD.

The LED front indicators are out on stalks to meet regulations including a 180 degree field of view. They are very bright and no problem seeing them shades
Posted By: nestor59310

Re: The Super 3 - 26/06/22 10:25 PM

We were at the same place today Thierry :

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/746028#Post746028

Re: The Super 3 - 27/06/22 06:12 AM

Yes,it was nice,lot s of trad and lot s of people not aware about the brake problem of the plus four and plus six.

Re: The Super 3 - 27/06/22 06:58 AM

I seem to remember from one of the longer YT videos with Jon Wells that the gear shift / handbrake set-up will be the same for LHD and RHD vehicles.

Re: The Super 3 - 27/06/22 06:59 AM

Thank you very much for the nice pictures, Thierry!

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 12:07 AM

A fairly decent review from Shmee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh5DVt5OCMM

A shame he doesn't get the usability of the car for long trips and good luck getting it onto the Nurburgring smile

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 06:20 AM

I hope that they resolve any issues before getting them out to customers - the serious issues with the CX platform car as discussed in that forum really are shocking and the time its taken to address those issues.... are the early owners of the Super 3 yet again going to be the guinea pigs for that model...

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 07:21 AM

One hopes that after all the costs with the M3W and now with the CX, the (not so) new owners of Morgan are going to insist that the development/dealer Super 3s get a decent load of miles on them before they create the hugh potential liability by selling too many too quick and then having to rectify something that with a robust development programme would have been picked up sooner.

The cost of the (hundreds (?) of) M3W chassis replacements must have been breathtaking and there are a lot of CX cars out there in the wild with brakes and radiators to fix....

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 08:15 AM

A shame he doesn't get the usability of the car for long trips and good luck getting it onto the Nurburgring smile

He certainly seems to like the attention from others when driving the 3 wheeler! Interesting to hear the noise, and his complaint of wind in his face smile
Posted By: ProfessorM

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stevo666
I hope that they resolve any issues before getting them out to customers - the serious issues with the CX platform car as discussed in that forum really are shocking and the time its taken to address those issues.... are the early owners of the Super 3 yet again going to be the guinea pigs for that model...

It was common amongst TVR owners that we referred to ourselves as 'development drivers' helping the company iron out faults for later customers... I was the lucky development driver who discovered that the steering on early Cerberas could jam for about 1 second occasionally if a stone or something pinged into an exposed part of the steering gear. All part of the fun of owning a handmade, low volume and characterful car I guess!
Posted By: IMHO

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 10:55 AM

Quite a lot of whine from the rear of the car..just saying innocent

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 10:56 AM

😂 That doesn’t sound much fun! Any time a “development driver” found a fault, was there a recall? Or did they just fix the problem on the next batch of cars?

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 11:00 AM

Yeah I noticed that. It could just be the camera being placed right above the bevel box.

Has anyone seen any prototype cars with the larger windscreen? I specced mine with the windscreen instead of the smaller twin glass set up and would like to see what it looks like in real life as opposed to the configurator.

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by IMHO
Yes, but Shmee says that will be sorted out for the production cars so that's OK. hide

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 04:41 PM

He certainly seems to like the attention from others when driving the 3 wheeler! Interesting to hear the noise, and his complaint of wind in his face smile

To be honest he has got quite a fat head so suspect he’s going to be affected by the wind to a much greater extent than normal

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by IMHO
Yes, but Shmee says that will be sorted out for the production cars so that's OK. hide

The whining sounded nearer the drivers seat to me wink
Posted By: IMHO

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 05:18 PM

Took a second or two laugh2

Re: The Super 3 - 21/07/22 06:58 PM

Latest update here in Belgium:
- dealer cars will be built / delivered in August / September (my guess will be September) where they were originally promised for April / May
- I was supposed to spec mine in June for delivery September

We are nearing the end of July and I still did not need to finalise the spec. My guess will be final spec September / October, and delivery December '22 or January '23.

That is, if there aren't any additional delays.

Re: The Super 3 - 27/07/22 06:24 PM

This month's Octane magazine has reviews of both the Super3 and the Liberty ACE 2.0 - now known as the F6.

The Super3 was one of the prototypes and the tester was very positive. The overall feel of the car is praised as is the engine sound with the optional sports exhaust which Mark Dixon likened to a "big-carbed rally spec MK1 Escort smile. However he does pick out bevel box noise (which MMC are still working on) and the front suspension crashing when hitting potholes.

For the ACE Andrew English is very positive overall but it sounds as if it's smaller than the Super3 and the lack of luggage space limits it's practicality. It also currently has no reverse gear. Pete Larson will supply ACE to Europe (one is in build for Norway) but they will be Left Hand Drive only as the cost of converting to RHD is prohibitively high. Also the ACE is about £54k so more than a reasonably spec'd Super3....
Posted By: super3G

Re: The Super 3 - 29/07/22 11:29 PM

Update for the US: I just received this via email from the dealer yesterday:
Morgan Motor Company is excited to confirm plans for entry of Super 3 into the USA. The company is currently completing the necessary homologation work and plans for Super 3 demonstrators to reach USA Dealerships in the first quarter of 2023.

Not sure what it means for customers deliveries! Mine was supposed to arrive in April 2023 but it is most likely be June-July... not sure!

Re: The Super 3 - 30/07/22 03:33 PM

For the ACE Andrew English is very positive overall but it sounds as if it's smaller than the Super3 and the lack of luggage space limits it's practicality. It also currently has no reverse gear. Pete Larson will supply ACE to Europe (one is in build for Norway) but they will be Left Hand Drive only as the cost of converting to RHD is prohibitively high. Also the ACE is about £54k so more than a reasonably spec'd Super3....

The red ACE f-6 that Andrew English drove now has electric reverse (f-6s have a sequential transmission) that Pete can use going forward, and the dimensions are on the Liberty Motors website's specs page if interested.

The Carrera GT Silver ACE f-6 is being road tested before transport to Norway where she will live next to Harley ACE #9.

I have pics of Andrew English's drive and of the silver Norway ACE that I'll get around to posing in the 'New ACE' thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems Morgan is trying resolve some things with the Super 3, like BB whine, before customer deliveries. This seems like a very good thing from Morgan, and maybe a new strategy from their Italian ownership, even if it means delays.

Re: The Super 3 - 31/07/22 07:32 AM

BB whine?? echoes of the past?? Hope they do not try another NVH kit!

Re: The Super 3 - 31/07/22 09:37 AM

Shmee mentioned the width a few times, and for him to comment that vans on the other side of the roads were a bit scary when he normally drives huge supercars, would make me too nervous to drive it with brio in its natural environment of country lanes.

Re: The Super 3 - 31/07/22 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rovert
Shmee mentioned the width a few times, and for him to comment that vans on the other side of the roads were a bit scary when he normally drives huge supercars, would make me too nervous to drive it with brio in its natural environment of country lanes.

The Super 3 is narrower than an Alpine A110 including mirrors. The A110 feels tiny to me on country lanes but I believe its because when you're first in a 3W or haven't driven one for awhile you tend to feel vulnerable to oncoming traffic due to no / reduced protection plus your right side of your body is half hanging out. You soon get used to it.

Re: The Super 3 - 01/08/22 09:13 AM

One aspect of the apparent width of the M3W and likely the Super 3 is the (perceived) risk of the narrow nearside tyre going off the edge of the road and losing grip esp on narrower country roads with boken edges....this aspect makes both of us feel the car is "quite wide" even after having it now for 10 years....
© 2022 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News