Talk Morgan

Niki Lauda (1949-2019)

Posted By: MarioCP

Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 03:15 AM

One of the greatest F1 Champions has passed away. I was barely a teenager when he was a champion at Ferrari, and I was already a young adult when I watched him get his final championship at Estoril by half a point (that was 1984).

His driving was amazing to watch. There was a mix of great skill, great courage and a relentlessness in the pace that made him the undisputed champion of his era.

Lauda today is almost forgotten when F1 fans are asked to make their list of top F1 drivers ever. From the very old days Fangio always shows up, the British fans don't ever forget to mention Clark and Stewart, and then it is Senna, Prost and Schumacher (with the youngest fans trying to add Hamilton and Vettel, which I think might be fair on numbers alone).

But I suspect many years from now any historian of Formula 1 will find one name stands out after the Stewart/Fittipaldi years and before the Senna/Prost rivalry, and that name is Niki Lauda.

Rest in Peace
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 04:13 AM

Terrible news. I remember as a kid in the 70s being glued to the TV when F1 was on. Real characters back then, Lauda was a fave along with James Hunt.

If anybody hasnt seen the film RUSH, I think its a great film and an excellent portrayal of the events of the 76 season. A must watch.

RIP Niki
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 04:41 AM

Very Sad news
It was only last year he had a lung transplant which was claimed to be successful
A great driver
RIP
Posted By: Alan Patterson

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 04:56 AM

Very sad - RIP Niki.
Posted By: auster

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 05:23 AM

Yes just waking up to the news which is quite a shock given his recent presence on F1 TV coverage here. For Austrians he is without doubt a hero and deserving of that epithet. He had courage, determination, a directness in dealing with people and obviously skills beyond the vocabulary. For me, his recovery from the crash and fire at the Nurburgring is one of the great stories of motorsport - and then to be bold and brave enough to lead the fight for safety - well, he was just remarkable.
Posted By: BertL

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 06:04 AM

"His driving was amazing to watch. There was a mix of great skill, great courage and a relentlessness in the pace that made him the undisputed champion of his era."

flag flag

Posted By: pete757

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 06:05 AM

Very sad... RIP.

The film 'Rush' is well worth watching... an amazing man.
Posted By: Heinz

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 06:19 AM

Very sad indeed, he wasn't just a great racer. As a co-moderator in German TV he was able to explain Formula 1 very clearly and excitingly over a very long period of time, even for less expert spectators. He was such an awake mind. RIP.
Posted By: Culminator

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 06:38 AM

A real loss and very sad news. Always thought he had a very balanced view in his role at Mercedes and a real legend.
Posted By: deano

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 06:42 AM

Yes a great loss. Good guy, very sucessful businessman and world class racing driver. RIP Niki.
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 06:51 AM

Very sad news, RIP Niki.
Posted By: KEVFITZ

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 07:11 AM

Yes quite a shock to read this morning.

A very nice man with a wicked sense of humour...I was with Goodyear F1 team in Niki's time and spent many tyre testing periods with the great man especially on the Brabham Fan car in Sweden.

RIP Niki
Posted By: The Austrian

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 07:23 AM

RIP Andreas Nikolaus "Niki" Lauda!
Posted By: OZ 4/4

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 08:00 AM

A nice tribute MarioCP
Posted By: Fuel.inj

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 08:03 AM

Another motoring Great sadly gone to the Circuit on the on the the other side. RIP Niki.
Posted By: Peter J

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 10:29 AM

RIP Niki, and thanks for all the memories.
Posted By: HeadlessBlue

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 06:06 PM

Nice tribute Mario. As a long term fan who has always enjoyed it whenever the tv people interviewed Niki this is such a sad passing (can’t think of the right word). You always felt he wasn’t going to give a corporate opinion and, if it was too sensitive, rarely gave anything away to try and curry favour. I enjoyed his forthright views and suspect his colleagues (and of course friends and family) will miss that rare honesty. As a driver and brave human being (driving so soon after the accident) there are few to touch him.
RIP Niki
HB

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 08:57 PM

Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 21/05/19 09:31 PM

Posted By: bmgermany

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 22/05/19 07:28 AM

R.I.P

He was a taff and very strong man of will.
I remember the short time to start again in races after his horrible accident.
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 22/05/19 03:18 PM

Although Rush is a very good film it makes The rivalry look quite bitter between Lauda and Hunt when in reality they were great friends

They lived together for a while and apparently on the morning before the famous race at Mount Fuji, they had adjoining hotel rooms where Lauda goose stepped into Hunts room, laying in bed with a girl friend and announced “today I win the world championship”

Hunt threw his pillow at him

Hope it’s true
Posted By: lowebird

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 23/05/19 11:09 AM

I can't believe it!!! I have been in Italy all week and not looked at the news and then I read that this has happened. I am totally shocked.
I have an autographed photo of him in the championship winning 312 and I also met him at Brands Hatch.
A brilliant driver, a dam nice chap and a great loos to the racing world.
I just can't believe it !!
Posted By: sospan

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 23/05/19 12:02 PM

RIP to my hero.
A great driver and also strong willed man.
The more you find out about the real man with behind the scenes stories the more you admire him.
Kevfitz, your post sums it up in many ways.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 23/05/19 05:24 PM

I clearly remember a comment made by one of his competitors.

"hard to love the guy but utter respect for everything about him". He said it in the manner of someone being a little in awe of him.

Just watching the F1 coverage and Brundle made a lovely comment. "A life well spent".

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 23/05/19 06:54 PM

This news really shook me I must admit having spent much time with Nike during my Goodyear Tyres F1 duties.

Of all the F1 drivers of his time he was by far the most able to convey in a technical manner what was happening to a car and tyres in any given circumstance.

We supplied all the F1 tyres to all drivers up to 1979 but Nike had his own special compounds for each circuit .

Many memories:...

We were tyre testing the new Brabham Fan car (before it was banned by the authorities on the grounds of throwing up stones at competitors cars !!!). In truth the genius of Gordon Murray had developed a car superior to any other.

We were in Andersdorp Sweden and testing was stopped due to mechanical issues..Gordon and his engineers were left to fix and Nike decided to fly home in his new Lear Jet..I was invited and spent the weekend at his house in Austria.
He has a great Dane dog which tried to eat me ..and Niki just stood there laughing...just a little bit too long for my liking !!
We then flew back to Sweden when the car was fixed...

Goodyear had a Tyres test track at Luxembourg with a glass plate in the road so we could view and measure race tyre footprints.

Nike was always the fastest round this track above Jody Schecter and all other F1 stars of the day and our engineers reported that Nike always gave the most valued technical feedback.

One of the drives of my life as a passenger was on this track with Niki driving a BMW M1 on a fast lap to determine the tyre break out point...he was driving one handed whilst eating an apple !!!...didn't realise a car would go so fast sideways..amazing car control.!!

RIP Niki
Posted By: auster

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 23/05/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By KEVFITZ
This news really shook me I must admit having spent much time with Nike during my Goodyear Tyres F1 duties.

Of all the F1 drivers of his time he was by far the most able to convey in a technical manner what was happening to a car and tyres in any given circumstance.

We supplied all the F1 tyres to all drivers up to 1979 but Nike had his own special compounds for each circuit .

Many memories:...

We were tyre testing the new Brabham Fan car (before it was banned by the authorities on the grounds of throwing up stones at competitors cars !!!). In truth the genius of Gordon Murray had developed a car superior to any other.

We were in Andersdorp Sweden and testing was stopped due to mechanical issues..Gordon and his engineers were left to fix and Nike decided to fly home in his new Lear Jet..I was invited and spent the weekend at his house in Austria.
He has a great Dane dog which tried to eat me ..and Niki just stood there laughing...just a little bit too long for my liking !!
We then flew back to Sweden when the car was fixed...

Goodyear had a Tyres test track at Luxembourg with a glass plate in the road so we could view and measure race tyre footprints.

Nike was always the fastest round this track above Jody Schecter and all other F1 stars of the day and our engineers reported that Nike always gave the most valued technical feedback.

One of the drives of my life as a passenger was on this track with Niki driving a BMW M1 on a fast lap to determine the tyre break out point...he was driving one handed whilst eating an apple !!!...didn't realise a car would go so fast sideways..amazing car control.!!

RIP Niki

What an excellent post and tribute. Thanks. And another reason to be on Talk Morgan. Lots of first hand experience and stories here.
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 23/05/19 08:38 PM

Hear Hear

Kev is a dark horse and no mistake...…..
Posted By: Paul F

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 24/05/19 08:11 AM

Originally Posted By DaveW
Hear Hear

+1
Posted By: Heinz

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 24/05/19 10:04 AM

KEV a wonderful story, thanks for sharing. I guess Niki himself was piloting the Learjet?
Posted By: Budster

Re: Niki Lauda (1949-2019) - 24/05/19 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By DaveW
Hear Hear

+2
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News