Talk Morgan

Clearing the loft

Posted By: DaveW

Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 11:36 AM

I'm systematically clearing our loft. That doesn't mean I'm emptying it, it just means I'm making three piles...…

Keep...…..Sell on e-bay...……..charity shop/bin

What's amazing is the price some things are fetching. I found a sweet cigarette packet. Remember them? It was just the cover, no interior. That fetched a fiver.

MissW has a dolls Hoover front loading washing machine. About six inches cube...….Battery powered, and with a hand crank, and can be filled with water. Slight wear to it...………..

What did this fetch? ……….£47.00...…...amazing
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 11:52 AM

I did the same thing myself when I retired, I took carloads to the charity shop and sold a lot more. My biggest surprise was an Are You Being Served? paperback novel, now lost to the nation unfortunately as it went to the U.S. for a staggering sum.

The little that was left I categorised and stored away in plastic crates. I don't know how it's happened but five years later it's completely full up there again frown
Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 12:06 PM

The exciting thing about this phenomenon is to scrupulously save the proceeds and not just add them to the day to day. How nice to be able to buy more rubbish with all that lolly..!!
Posted By: Jack The Lad

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 12:37 PM

How much can you get for the Mother In Law or do you have to pay .
Posted By: Alan Patterson

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 02:12 PM

We also had a bit of a rummage recently and came across one of my father's tools from his early working days as a chartered engineer - a Curta. Before I reveal what it is does anybody know, or want to hazard a guess (without Googling it)?

PS - guesses NOT open to N22 MOG!!
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 02:16 PM

I have a theory smile It works with storage spaces and it works with luggage.

Stuff expands to fill the space available.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Patterson
We also had a bit of a rummage recently and came across one of my father's tools from his early working days as a chartered engineer - a Curta. Before I reveal what it is does anybody know, or want to hazard a guess (without Googling it)?

I cheated, I looked it up, so I will disqualify myself from guessing nerd
Posted By: Deejay

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 02:32 PM

Ok, so I cheated and looked it up on Wiki. Suggested values from $1000 - $1900 ! Sell, sell, I say ‘cos when you’re gone, it might get chucked away as no-one will be able to find where to fit the batteries!!🤯
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stringers Best Mate
The exciting thing about this phenomenon is to scrupulously save the proceeds and not just add them to the day to day. How nice to be able to buy more rubbish with all that lolly..!!

laugh2 Yes, that's one of the problems I have. It's why I gave up doing car boot sales, I usually end up buying more than I sell. I saw a top-end VHS player in our Red Cross charity shop this morning, an absolute bargain and very difficult to resist, but as I have six in the loft already I couldn't really justify it.

The same shop also had a small pine dining table that I used to own. Not just the same type but exactly the same table, I recognised the filler in one of the knotholes. I bought it about 35 years ago before I was married and we eventually replaced it with a larger mahogany table in the 1990s. I was very intrigued to see it still usable - and saleable (£20!) - after all this time, especially as I'm pretty sure when we'd finished with it I took it to the dump.
Posted By: lowebird

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 05:39 PM

Hell chaps, all this talk of money in the loft got me thinking. We moved to our current address in 2000 and I know for a fact that there are still boxes up there that I haven't touched since day 1.

I keep threatening to get a skip in and clear the lot out but after reading this I may well set aside a few days to see if there is enough money for a Racing Green Bentley.
Posted By: SFG

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 06:00 PM

Fantastic find: great thing to mount on the dashboard next to the rally stopwatches
Posted By: teknome

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 06:07 PM

Somewhere I have one, or maybe two, Otis King circular slide rules. However I can't remember where on earth I put them
Posted By: sospan

Re: Clearing the loft - 12/09/19 10:54 PM

We are still slowly clearing....
Moved house 2 years ago. Mix of keep/sell/charity.
One mug sold for £47 on eBay to a Russian buyer. It was a Llanelli RFC Shweppes Cup winning commemorative one. Nothing really special.
i have a Sinclair Spectrum and several games that will go to eBay soon too.
Some old books are now in a bookcase. One is a hardback bound copy of “The Regiment”, made up of a year’s magazines that were an in-house magazine. Just pre WWI I. I still thumb through it occasionally.
Nearly forgot the vinyl records and Dansette player too. Beatles, Elvis, singles included.
Posted By: Fuel.inj

Re: Clearing the loft - 13/09/19 06:11 AM

Co-incidentally a Curta was discussed on the Antiques Road Trip earlier this week, shown in an antiques shop with an asking price of £950 and used by Classic rally navigators.

Re: Clearing the loft - 13/09/19 06:41 AM

Heres the answer. A Curta is a hand-held mechanical calculator with a fascinating history.

The one I have is an early Type 1 with a four-digit serial number which dates it to 1951 (so it's older than I am) and still in pristine condition (unlike me).
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: Clearing the loft - 13/09/19 01:49 PM

I have a friend that collect those Curta calculators

Have you seen this large scale 3D printed version ? Soooo cool

https://youtu.be/j9uRckJLqLk
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Clearing the loft - 13/09/19 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stringers Best Mate

Perhaps the railway will now be completed?

As for the Curta, I have my Father's, 5 digit serial number, and his Curbic tube slide rule.

Re: Clearing the loft - 13/09/19 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
As for the Curta, I have my Father's, 5 digit serial number, and his Curbic tube slide rule.

Graham
You can get all the details about your Curta here
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Clearing the loft - 13/09/19 05:58 PM

Wow, thanks Alan!
Characteristics of the Curta Serial Number 71503:
Type: 1
Date of manufacture: July 1968
Total Curtas Type 1 produced: 79527
Total Production Number: From the start: 70603, Up to the end: 8924
Curtas Type 1 produced in 1968: 4800
Production Number of 1968: From the start: 2723, Up to the end: 2077
Precision of registers: 8, 11, 6 (Digits of Input, Result & Counter register)
Color of the body: Black
Style of setting knobs: Wider rectangular with teeth
Style of operating handle: Plastic, flat top with arrow, red stripe for subtract
Style of the Canister: Plastic, opens clockwise
Posted By: twotribes

Re: Clearing the loft - 13/09/19 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gambalunga
I have a theory smile It works with storage spaces and it works with luggage.

Stuff expands to fill the space available.

Too true. And it's not just inanimate things... Two examples;

Some species of fish, I believe, only attain their full size if their environment has enough space.

When we married and lived in a tiny cottage, my wife was a size 6-8. Now we live in a big house... hide
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News