Talk Morgan

drives - the type in front of your house

Posted By: Grumpy2

drives - the type in front of your house - 21/09/19 11:08 PM

the current big decision is 'should we resurface our drive' and if so what with.

As well as the Morgan I also have a triumph stag and both drip fluids occasionally (more so the stag). Theres no way I'm pulling the engine out to fit new seals as even if I do it'll start dripping again very soon.

So who has what type of drive and how do you manage oil drips?

our current preferred solution is block paving, sealed with some sort of 'drive seal' but does it work?

thanks

Gary
Posted By: ChrisConvertible

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 12:00 AM

Our driveway is called Faux Brick, although it is also called Stencilled Concrete. They lay down concrete, wait for it to be 90% dry and put down the stencil, throw coloured powder on it and trowel it over, then pull up the stencil. If you google faux brick or stencilled concrete you should find more information. In our case it was laid as a new driveway 4 inches thick but I have heard of people having an old driveway sand blasted and a new layer of concrete put over with the stencilled pattern done.

Every two years I reseal it with https://cswcoatings.com.au/product/protect-enhance/ After lots of cleaning I put the first coat of sealer and throw this https://cswcoatings.com.au/product/extra-grip-additive/ on top. Then I do the second layer and it goes over the crushed glass beads to bond it in. The result is a nice easy to clean surface that is not that slippery.

I have 300 square metres of driveway, patio behind the house and paths around the house. It takes me about a week to scrub it clean, then 4 days to do the 2 coats, I do two coats for the driveway and paths, then move the BBQ, table tennis table, garden table and seats etc. onto the paths while I do the Patio. I try to do it while a neighbour is away so I can park in their driveway (compensation for checking their letterbox and watering their garden) as it can't be driven on for a few days.

My driveway is 27 years old and while I plan to do it every two years I have only done it about 5 times in those years, unfortunately it has a few cracks and water gets in and damaged it. I think if I had sealed it every two or at least three years it would still look like new. But i think it still looks pretty good.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 04:21 AM

Your local council may have rules about what materials can be used as impermeable drives can give problems with water management. Our drive is quite long (50m or so) over a band of clay and has to be permeable so we had it excavated, a steel/plastic mesh went down followed by hardcore, then a few tons of Type 1 granite(chippings of various sizes down to dust) rolled in so that it all locks together. As the years go by the it looks better and better.

A good solution for a rural location, maybe not n an urban setting.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: madmax

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 05:56 AM

Gravel drive with drainage underneath so permeable and lasts ages and is fairly cheap. You can hear if someone arrives too !
Posted By: Fuel.inj

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 07:00 AM

We have a light coloured resin drive, the type you see in pedestrianised shopping centres etc. I was concerned about oil drips especially considering I park my Defender on it. But as it is a porous product so when oil marks appear then a spray with a bio degradable degreaser, brush it in and rinsed off and it’s gone. Can’t recommend the finish of the drive itself.
Posted By: Luddite

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 07:05 AM

As you already have a driveway I am guessing you already have some sort of drainage system that works perfectly..If not perhaps best to think drainage first..! Less than wise to be laying an expensive drive and then discovering drainage can REALLY matter..? Best advice I have seen on the web can be found in the link, and the book is well worth buying too. If you are not the hands on type at least it provides education enough to determine whether the labour you employ is knowledgeable relative to the task in hand, or just some cowboy outfit..?

http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Driveways-Paths-Patios-Management-Construction/dp/1861267789

Good luck in your choices.
Posted By: HJP

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 07:38 AM

I would always go for gravel particularly with leaky cars , it takes minimal maintenance if done properly, just an occasional rake around . It's easy to top up and refresh after a few years .

An alternative which my sister has just had done , is areas of different materials in different places , she had an area of block paving which she wanted to extend a bit , she thought it'd look too bleak all paved on the north side of the house so had the new areas gravelled , looks very nice and breaks up a large expanse . A bonus is how much light is reflected into the house from the lighter gravel (replacing grass) I found this too when I extended my gravel .
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 07:43 AM

We have gravel - it's usually pretty cheap, and looks good.
Posted By: John V6

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 07:44 AM

We have block paving. Previously we had stencilled concrete.
We found the stencilled concrete very slippy in winter (we lived in the Chilterns & the drive was a steep hill). Also the sealant is a solvent based fluid that I think gives you an exposure to chemicals you don't really need.

That was replaced by block paving & when we moved to Suffolk we have that too.

Our cars don't leak oil but builders vans etc have leaked on the drive. I found that can be removed with white spirit or detergent.
As you can see the blocks are quite light in colour. An alternative could be to buy extra blocks to replace dirty ones.
[Linked Image]

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 08:09 AM

excellent detailed responses, many thanks. Drainage is indeed already established, current drive is tarmac (old and degrading hence replacement) and all tradesmen have mentioned drainage during quotes.

I'd be interested to hear from someone with blocks who has used a drive seal type product.

there are a few covenants on our house one of which states that we must have a solid drive so no chipping/gravel

thanks

Gary
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 08:43 AM

We have gravel in our courtyard and it is a damn nuisance. The gravel get caught in people's shoes, particularly those with a tractor tread sole, and gets traipsed into the house.

I would suggest open block pavers, the type that grass can grow out of the holes. Looks good and if the grass needs a trim you can still run over it with the lawnmower. Needs to be well laid on a good base or it can finish up uneven where the car runs over it..
Posted By: lowebird

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 08:53 AM

Default drive in Norfolk is gravel. helps with surface water drainage and is dead cheap. Does make jacking the car up a bit of a lottery though.
Posted By: Peter J

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 11:21 AM

We have block pavers. unsealed.
Most of the drive is laid on a Hoggin base, but the central zone, where the cars sit, is on concrete with reinforcement.
Not what the planners really like, but as it replaced a tarmac drive it is a lot more porous!

The sealing gives a finish I didn't like. I pressure wash the surface every 2 years.

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by John V6

We found the stencilled concrete very slippy in winter (we lived in the Chilterns & the drive was a steep hill). Also the sealant is a solvent based fluid that I think gives you an exposure to chemicals you don't really need.

My drive has a 1 in 2 slope, 10 metre drop over 20 metres. Yes you really need the ground up glass in it, it makes a huge difference. The first time I sealed my driveway I got a headache from the stuff, the stuff I use now is probably still solvent based but I didn't notice any smell or headaches at all.

Nice car, is it black or very dark green?
Posted By: John V6

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 12:54 PM

I never had the ground up glass to add. I can see that could help .
Our was a right bastard when icy. Many times I have slid gently to the bottom and had to pull myself up the tin top to get in to go to work at 06:00 weekdays when I went to Reckitt & Colman on the Hogarth roundabout.

The car was on loan from Krazy Horse . It is a 3.7l Roadster with there straight through side pipes. Too loud for me. The colour is black.
Posted By: PhilRoyle

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 01:54 PM

We got a resin bound drive last year and it has been great - you can choose colours etc it is permeable and since having it installed we have not had a single puddle . I have jacked the car on it with no indentations. Oil etc. just goes with a scrub with washing up liquid - our is light coloured but they can do any colour. There is resin bound and resin bonded - with one they put the gravel down and then pour resin on top - this is not permeable - the other one is mixed with resin and then laid down on top of the prepared surface. We are on clay and suffered puddles etc. when it rained - but nothing at all this year even in the downpours of Biblical proportions. Not cheap but guaranteed 10 years.

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 02:07 PM

Yes the ground up glass makes a huge difference, the issue is trying to get it thin enough to not really be noticeable but thick enough to give good grip, you throw it on like feeding chickens. The first time I resealed I didn't use it and it was very slippery. I now go for the thicker to not slip approach and not care if I can see it glitter. I would rather not slip over walking on it, especially when taking out the wheelie bin, or have courier drivers leave black skid marks on the driveway that are extremely hard to clean.

I initially wanted pavers but on the slope no-one would guarantee their work to not sink, plus they wanted a lot more than the stamped concrete. I was tempted to do pavers myself but I was still finishing off the house and needed a driveway to keep my wife happy as we moved in probably in the wettest year we have had. Getting up there when it was mud was almost impossible, i would go to the end of the street, check for no cars, accelerate like an idiot to hit the bottom of the driveway at 80kph and hope to slide to the top.

What really annoyed me is no-one mentioned that the stamped concrete needed re-sealing when giving me quotes. We had the patio area out the back done a couple of years later and that is when I was told I should re-seal the driveway and was quoted $3,000 probably because they don't like doing it. If I realised stamped concrete needed constant re-sealing that would cost me nearly $1000 in sealer every few years I might have tried the paving it myself option.

OK, yes I find a lot of cars too loud, mine included. Black does look nice with the red side screens.
Posted By: howard

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 04:47 PM

You need planning for an impermiable drive if you dony have one already. Proper block paving looks OK but is a maintenance issue with weeds in the gaps and cant really be surfaced sealed. As for the Stag, I had one for 30 years and no oil leaks at all. Even after I had taken the engine out and rebuilt it plus the auto box. It should be a leaky engine properly maintained but knowing the effort involved in rmoving the engine I can understand you leaving it alone

A friend has that stencuilled / moulded / coloured concrete with a sealed ( and shiny) finish. IMO it looks horrible.

Why not go for gravel. The oil will sink in, you can always rake it and if nevessary lob on another sack full.
Posted By: cerealsurfer

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Gambalunga
We have gravel in our courtyard and it is a damn nuisance. The gravel get caught in people's shoes, particularly those with a tractor tread sole, and gets traipsed into the house.

I would suggest open block pavers, the type that grass can grow out of the holes. Looks good and if the grass needs a trim you can still run over it with the lawnmower. Needs to be well laid on a good base or it can finish up uneven where the car runs over it..

Had blocks at the last house, the dark red bordered by dark grey. Looked smart and put down with a decent depth foundation of MOT Type1 - so no sagging. The current house came with gravel that was new just before we moved in - well what a complete PITA!! It’s everywhere, traipsed in the house, garage, out across the path. Constantly having to rake the deeper parts about and the two range rovers pound it into whatever mess Is underneath. You can’t kneel on it or put anything down that you care about. Other than being cheap - it’s a total dud!

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 22/09/19 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by howard
You need planning for an impermiable drive if you dony have one already. Proper block paving looks OK but is a maintenance issue with weeds in the gaps and cant really be surfaced sealed. As for the Stag, I had one for 30 years and no oil leaks at all. Even after I had taken the engine out and rebuilt it plus the auto box. It should be a leaky engine properly maintained but knowing the effort involved in rmoving the engine I can understand you leaving it alone

A friend has that stencuilled / moulded / coloured concrete with a sealed ( and shiny) finish. IMO it looks horrible.

Why not go for gravel. The oil will sink in, you can always rake it and if nevessary lob on another sack full.

We have a covenant on our house saying we must have a solid drive - no gravel or chippings. There are 8 houses in our street 4 blocks and 4 tarmac. The block ones need regular maintenance and the tarmac ones look dull.

As for the stag (this one is my third), Robsport rebuilt the engine in 2012 and at the minute its leaking oil, coolant and auto trans fluid! The coolant I've traced to a jubilee clip. Oil is from the front crank seal and the gearbox is leaking via the breather! It's all fun!

Good info on the drives though.

thanks
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 23/09/19 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Grumpy2
excellent detailed responses, many thanks. Drainage is indeed already established, current drive is tarmac (old and degrading hence replacement) and all tradesmen have mentioned drainage during quotes.

I'd be interested to hear from someone with blocks who has used a drive seal type product.

there are a few covenants on our house one of which states that we must have a solid drive so no chipping/gravel

thanks
Gary

Gary, I would go with Block Paving, it's available in numerous colours, styles & designs (not just the municipal 200x100 block)

if you have to access services it can be lifted & re-laid, jetwash & seal keeps it looking like new (you can get resin type & water based), longevity is excellent, I sometimes pass our previous house & the drive there is now 34 years old

Reputable UK manufacturers are Marshalls (Halifax) & Charcon (Derby) you can create permeable block paving by using a specific version which has larger 'nibs' which create slightly wider spaces between the bocks which are filled with fine aggregate rather than sand
Posted By: TBM

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 23/09/19 05:13 PM

I used to do 'drives' after when I first left Uni in the early companies. Key to success is in the prep - used to dig very deep with a JCB (and hit the occasional utility - once had to clear an entire street as we went through a gas main). Very thick layer of hardcore, and then a decent sand screed on top. If I remember, you could get access covers for utilities, which you could fill with blocks in the same pattern. Heavy to lift, but saved lifting and relaying individual blocks. As mentioned above, with good maintenance they last a very long time. A good jet wash, and then a brush over with silver sand would usually do the trick.

We used to do a pretty good job most of the time, although the boss was a bit 'flighty' - on one occasion we dug out an entire drive quickly one monday morning, then we were asked to stand down. Turns out the house owner didn't want a new drive, but had upset the boss in the pub on Friday night. I was also once asked to go to the local newsagent and buy six packets of polos. He'd run out of white chips and wanted to finish the tarmac drive quickly......

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 23/09/19 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by TBM
I used to do 'drives' after when I first left Uni in the early companies. Key to success is in the prep - used to dig very deep with a JCB (and hit the occasional utility - once had to clear an entire street as we went through a gas main). Very thick layer of hardcore, and then a decent sand screed on top. If I remember, you could get access covers for utilities, which you could fill with blocks in the same pattern. Heavy to lift, but saved lifting and relaying individual blocks. As mentioned above, with good maintenance they last a very long time. A good jet wash, and then a brush over with silver sand would usually do the trick.

We used to do a pretty good job most of the time, although the boss was a bit 'flighty' - on one occasion we dug out an entire drive quickly one monday morning, then we were asked to stand down. Turns out the house owner didn't want a new drive, but had upset the boss in the pub on Friday night. I was also once asked to go to the local newsagent and buy six packets of polos. He'd run out of white chips and wanted to finish the tarmac drive quickly......

do the 'over the counter' sealers repel oil? I'm happy jet washing and brushing in sand but I don't want the blocks to stain. Cheers
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 23/09/19 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Grumpy2

do the 'over the counter' sealers repel oil? I'm happy jet washing and brushing in sand but I don't want the blocks to stain. Cheers

I've used sealers made by Resiblock with success, some are solvent based and lasted well but pricy, I now use their water based 'Trade' one which you can spray on with a weedkiller type sprayer & it's been good, plus you can apply in less than perfect weather
Posted By: TBM

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 23/09/19 08:27 PM

Most of the sealers give the caveat of 'give good protection' rather than 'protects against' which probably means that they're better than no sealer, but can't guarantee success.

If you've got a good solid screed base, then it's pretty easy to lift blocks and replace (there is a special block lifting tool that makes it easy). If I was to have a block pave drive I'd keep a few spares in the garden (so they weather at the same rate) and swap any out that get stained.

However, if I'd got a 'perpetual dripper' I don't think I'd bother with block paving.

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 23/09/19 10:48 PM

I like the term perpetual dripper, the stag almost always drips when its stopped after running. Its doesn't sit on the drive long enough to make a pool but always leaves a spot when I've stopped to open or close the garage.

I'd thought of leaving a few extra outside but unless I can repel the oil I'd use them up in a year.
Posted By: DaveW

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 24/09/19 07:21 AM

Such a lot of drive pride around!

Ours is a 1970s concrete strip, now with one transverse crack.

It bears the scars of many jobs on cars, and a light spattering of paint in places. Where Metros were parked, were oil patches, but these come up easily with detergent and a stiff brush.

I never jet wash my drive. Most of our estate is the same concrete, with a few block pavings.
Posted By: Calypso Red

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 24/09/19 07:26 AM

We have had block pavers for over 30 years. I would go for it every time. I had to lift an area to clear a blocked drain. Re-laid the blocks, you would never know. Any areas that settle can be lifted and re-laid. Had it pressure washed a few years ago for the first time, came up looking as new. I had it sealed after washing and it may have lasted 6 months. I would not bother having it sealed again. Oil spills are not a problem. Any solvent will get it off but the 'do nothing' option is good as well. It will weather off after a while. I spray once or twice a year with weak glyphosate to kill any weed growth and occasional Js fluid for moss. We have very sandy soil so ants can be a problem but if you keep on top of them it's ok, but that's another thread altogether! We used Blockleys pavers, expensive, but they are tough.
Posted By: Alan Patterson

Re: drives - the type in front of your house - 24/09/19 07:37 AM

We have an impressed concrete drive made to look like cobble stones. It's been down for over 20 years now and is beginning to look a bit tired so could do with being refurbed and resealed.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News