Talk Morgan

Fires in Australia

Posted By: OZ 4/4

Fires in Australia - 22/11/19 01:58 AM

Climate change believer or not, weather patterns certainly appear to be changing.

A few days ago I caught some BBC TV coverage of the record floods in the UK. Moments before I had received the weather forecast and long term outlook for my own part of the world which was in stark contrast. I could see and smell the heavy blanket of smoke drifting across the dying landscape around my country property on the mid North Coast of NSW that was now being savaged by bush fires.

The east of Australia, and probably the rest of the continent, is in the grip of the worst drought in recorded history with some areas not having decent rain for years. Significant rivers are bone dry and major towns running out of water.

The farming community has been hardest hit with stock numbers falling as the suicide rate of our gallant farmers rises.

These are tough times for tough people.

The beautiful and heavily wooded NSW north coast and southern Queensland regions are tinder dry. Established forests and gardens including mine are dying. Temperatures heading towards the 40’s and strong winds spell disaster. The early declaration of the fire season was a sign of things to come. More than 250 homes were destroyed by bush fire in northern NSW last week along with 500 service buildings with many other properties damaged. Hundreds of people have been displaced and turned to emergency centers and we have not entered summer yet.

The carnage now extends to Victoria, Western Australia and South Australia

Regrettably, conditions have snared one of our own.

Peter Knox-Dick (better known as “Rubymorgan” when he last appeared on TM) lives just a little south of me at Hillville.

This fire has been burning for weeks and sometimes I could see the flames and smoke in his area from my southern balcony. I did a phone check in with Peter at 4.19pm on Saturday afternoon and found him in good spirits as his house and property had been saved after 3 or 4 water bombing runs by the fire aircraft over the previous days.

Sadly, Peter decided to once again clean out his gutters soon after my call and managed to fall off the roof cracking his skull and breaking vertebrae. He was air lifted to the Royal North Shore Hospital where he remains in a coma.

Our thoughts and prayers are with him.

Whether your next threat is flood or fire (and I include our friends in bush fire affected US of A) take care Morganeers

Attached are some photos of the fires in our area.(not taken by me)
[Linked Image]

On the beach at Darawank very close the popular Forster/Tuncurry township

[Linked Image]

The loss of wild life has been horrendous

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This little bloke was just looking for a safe tree.....
[Linked Image]
Exhausted fire fighters
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scrambledsignals

Re: Fires in Australia - 22/11/19 02:59 AM

Daughter is out in Northern NSW at the moment looking after a 96,000 acre station.

Thankfully, not yet had any bush fires but only had about 25mm of rain in last 2 years. Livestock are only surviving on water from wells and this has almost dried up.

It is terrible to see the destruction that these bush fires are causing.

Australia is a fantastic country with amazing wildlife, I hope it has the resilience to recover from this.
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Fires in Australia - 22/11/19 07:45 AM

Gary thanks for the update.
I have relatives in NSW and friends in WA.Have been watching the news,such as it is here, and keeping an eye on the online news services.
Thanks for sharing the photos, too. Those, and the ones online bring the scale of the disaster into perspective.
Please keep us up to date on Peter, too. He's quite a character! smile
Wish there was some way we could send you our floods...
Posted By: madmax

Re: Fires in Australia - 22/11/19 08:03 AM

That picture of the Koala ......crickey poor little bear !
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Fires in Australia - 22/11/19 09:42 AM

Thanks for sharing those harrowing images Gary truly dreadful times for you and the Californians as you say, stay safe.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Fires in Australia - 22/11/19 06:35 PM

Very frightening and tragic for those who lose property and livestock and a terrible toll is inflicted on the wildlife. Every time I see the news I think of all my friends and relatives who are facing this unprecedented bout of bushfires and all the beautiful places where I have been that are now a scene of devastation with blackened bare trunks.

My Mother's property, now owned by my sister and her husband is out along the Oxley Highway from Wauchope and has 80 forest. My brother and his wife (and her family) are also out to the Northwest of Wauchope. My youngest brother and his wife have a house on the northern outskirts of Sydney, also surrounded by bush even if not close to the house. He was fortunate to be able to get some off duty time from the Ambulance Service when the fires were near his home. I am sure they are having a busy time of it too.

I know what it's like to be at the sharp end of this as I spent some time in a Civil defence Rescue Squad and as a volunteer bush fire fighter. These things can move at an unbelievable speed and I have had to run for my life on two occasions. Fortunately we were in a position where we had an escape route.

Re: Fires in Australia - 22/11/19 07:02 PM

Day break here now Peter and the wind has dropped but the smoke is still heavy, no sight of fire near me in Wingham.
Areas around Port Macquarie and Wauchope have had fires burning for weeks now.
I even canceled our Club run to “Port” for fear of having 30 odd cars caught in the mess.

On yesterday’s run to Hallidays Point Bakery we drove many K’s on the Pacific Highway that was burnt out on both sides.
Posted By: pandy

Re: Fires in Australia - 23/11/19 08:18 AM

Horrendous. My thoughts are with you guys down under.

Re: Fires in Australia - 23/11/19 09:24 AM

I spoke to my brother who is an ambulance officer this morning (Sydney time). The poor bugger was having a sleep in because he goes on night shift today. He said that there has been some rain which has eased the situation a little but not enough to put an end to it.

Just spoke to my sister who is near Wauchope, 400km north of Sydney, and she tells me there is a sprinkling of rain there too. Unfortunately they have lost some of their fruit trees due to the drought and leaves are dropping off the eucalyptus trees increasing the fire hazard.

Many of the fires are covering tens of thousands of hectares and the largest, in the Wollemi area, is covering 185,900 hectares. To put that in perspective that is an area greater than many English counties. Worcestershire county covers an area of 173,529 hectares.

At Port Macquarie (the coastal town near my sister's place) the Koala Hospital has estimated that around 350 koalas have perished in the bushfires, but the loss of habitat and important food trees will put those who have survived into difficulty.

Re: Fires in Australia - 23/11/19 11:30 AM

Light rain here tonight and some thunder storm activity in the area but not enough to make a difference. Over one million hectares of bush land has been burnt out in NSW since the start of the 2019 fire season. Its going to be a long summer....
Posted By: Gin

Re: Fires in Australia - 23/11/19 10:25 PM

We have been over in Freshwater most of this year caring for our daughter who has bowel and lung cancer, but recovering well after a number of operations and superb treatment at St Vincents. We went out to Bathurst recently, an interesting track to drive around, and then on to Orange and Mudgee. There were quite incredible dust storms, a very parched landscape, apparently with no rain for three years.The smoke in the air here on the Northern Beaches has been thick, blocking out the sun.

Re: Fires in Australia - 29/12/19 08:35 PM

Just to put this in perspective here is the warning issued by Victorian authorities covering some 30,000 people - and that's just one part of fire affected Australia

"Victorian authorities have told thousands of visitors and residents in East Gippsland – an area half the size of Belgium – to leave immediately as a bushfire threat looms.

The emergency management commissioner, Andrew Crisp, issued the order on Sunday ahead of what the Bureau of Meteorology has called one of the “significant fire weather days in Victoria’s history”.

Re: Fires in Australia - 29/12/19 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
I have relatives in NSW and friends in WA.Have been watching the news,such as it is here, and keeping an eye on the online news services.
Thanks for sharing the photos, too. Those, and the ones online bring the scale of the disaster into perspective.

I visited Peter in hospital before Christmas and kept in contact since .
He is out of coma and in reasonable sprites but still no feeling below the waste. This will be a long recovery.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Fires in Australia - 29/12/19 09:17 PM

Sad to hear that. We all watch the fires over here and are praying you get rain.

Re: Fires in Australia - 29/12/19 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by OZ 4/4

I visited Peter in hospital before Christmas and kept in contact since .
He is out of coma and in reasonable sprites but still no feeling below the waste. This will be a long recovery.

Just catching up with this thread Gary, I am really sorry to hear about Ruby he had some damn interesting posts on here please pass on our good wishes for his recovery.
We are praying for you guys out there that rain will come and ease the situation and hoping that Sydney council will show a little more empathy on the 31st..
Stay safe Gary and thank you for the update.

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/12/19 02:50 AM

Thanks Richard

NSW is having a quiet time on the bush fire front compared to Victoria but this update has just been posted regarding NSW

NSW RFS(@NSWRFS) At 12pm, 97 fires are burning across NSW with 43 yet to be contained. With high temperatures and strong winds forecast for today and tomorrow, visibility is yet again low across some firegrounds. Talk to your family and friends about what your plan will be if threatened by fire. pic.twitter.com/dpmAESdWwd

December 30, 2019

Parts of Victoria have reordered temperatures in excess of 43C already today.......
Posted By: ChrisConvertible

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/12/19 03:36 AM

Cleaning gutters is certainly dangerous, from memory in 2003 I read the hospital had more people in it from injuries falling off roofs during the bushfire cleaning gutters, putting sprinklers on roofs etc. than were in hospital from being burnt.

I do regularly clean my gutters but find it pretty scary being up there.

I just wish we get some rain soon, it is so hot and dry.
Posted By: Georgetoad

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/12/19 05:05 AM

Sorry to see the terrible fires in Australia. My prayers go out to all those affected and especially for Peters full recovery.
One of the u tubers I follow is Tony Heller, a climate researcher from Boulder Colorado. who has testified to the US congress.
His blog is www.realclimatescience.com, I find it quite compelling.

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/12/19 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Georgetoad
Sorry to see the terrible fires in Australia. My prayers go out to all those affected and especially for Peters full recovery.
One of the u tubers I follow is Tony Heller, a climate researcher from Boulder Colorado. who has testified to the US congress.
His blog is www.realclimatescience.com, I find it quite compelling.

Thanks Georgetoad, interesting blog indeed
Posted By: madmax

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/12/19 08:16 AM

https://guides.slv.vic.gov.au/bushfires/1851

It doesn't make things any better but bush fires in parts of Australia have been happening for a long time . shocked2

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/12/19 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by madmax

It doesn't make things any better but bush fires in parts of Australia have been happening for a long time . shocked2

Spot on madmax. The problem is a growing population, living with nature in the bush and floored land management practices.
All this on a background of clearly changing weather patterns.

This summer season will give Australia much to think about.

Thank you for your concern

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/12/19 10:15 AM

Yes this summer should give all of Australia something to think about, hopefully including those who hold the purse strings.

I hope Peter/Rubymorgan makes a full recovery, it certainly sounds like a nasty accident.

Georgetoad - thanks that is a very interesting website.

I know this is now 16 years ago but it is pretty interesting. Also makes me realise how lucky I am as that tornado path they show on the map finishing in Kambah is head straight towards my house and stops about 2km away, the fire continued that path but at least not as a tornado and got to 100 metres from my place then headed up a sideways hill. While at the top of the hill behind my house putting out the spot fires that kept turning up we could see the glow on the next hill that I now realise is what is seen at 6:13 in the video. If the tornado had kept going then I expect the hill I was on would have ended up like that one and I doubt I could have run away home quick enough to drive away. I had sort of prepared myself by leaving the car in the garage facing out with the keys in it and the garage door open in case of a power failure not allowing the door to open, plus a few irreplaceable valuables in the car like my custom made guitar and our wedding photos.

Later I heard on the news that looters were stealing stuff from cars because people were putting valuables in their cars ready for a getaway and then busy trying to defend their homes. It seems times like this brings out the best of most people and the worst of the scumbags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqYEeivt8Eg

I really hope the current bushfires can be put out soon.

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/12/19 10:17 PM

This just gets worse….

Last night a 28 year old volunteer fire fighter was killed when his truck was “flipped” while battling a fire in Green Valley east of Albury near the NSW Victorian boarder.

The volunteer was one of three who had retreated to the emergency compartment behind the main cabin of the fire vehicle.
What is described as a “fire tornado” created by the intense fire itself flipped the 10 tonne vehicle on its roof killing one and injuring the other two.

The 28 year old was married only 18 months ago and leaves behind a wife, pregnant with their first child due in May.

OMG, enough already……

News Report of death of volunteer fire fighter

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/12/19 10:22 PM

That really is a tragedy Gary, his poor wife, family and crew members.
Posted By: HeadlessBlue

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/12/19 10:40 PM

That is awful Oz- really sorry to hear that
HB

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/12/19 11:07 PM

News reports from Gippsland Victoria just a few minutes ago indicate that the fires have got worse and fire fighters appear to have abandoned saving buildings and concentrating on saving lives....

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 02:18 AM

Extremely sad. I free very sorry for his family.

The news is implying the bushfires are creating their own tornadoes like what happened in the Canberra Video I posted. That is why the truck he was in was picked up and dropped.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 03:13 AM

Excuse the language but look at what is happening in the Victorian seaside town of Mallacoota
4,000 people forced on to the beach or out to sea.
Mallacoota Fire video.....

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 05:43 AM

Yes he swears a lot - I was waiting for a shark to turn up and give him something else to swear about.

My sister and kids are on a boat on the beach south of Batemans Bay ready to go out to sea if required, all the roads near them are closed.

I also read that the Mogo zoo animals are safe in their night enclosures and the employees are soaking the whole place as fire is all around it. Must be terrifying for all the animals but I think they are safer in their enclosures, Tigers and Lions that grew up in a zoo would not be good let loose to try fend for themselves.

It is scary how much of Australia is affected
[Linked Image]

Look at Mallacoota at the bottom, then look for Mogo where the zoo is, I am not surprised how dark it is at Mallacoota in that video based on how bad it is here and I am a fair way away but Mogo mus be even worse.
[Linked Image]

I have seen pictures of whole small towns burnt down, very sad when I think that a year ago I stopped at one for a break on a trip, beautiful old places with character completely gone.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 06:44 AM

Hell on the water - a young girl flees the fires in a tinny...
Its mid morning and look at the sky

[Linked Image]

This is now being repeated along the NSW south coast at Batemans Bay and around Nowra as well as Sussex Inlet.
Power and internet communication to the NSW South Coast will be cut tonight

Two more dead in NSW and four missing in Victoria. Temperatures reached 49C in Victoria,100 fires are burning in NSW with 60 out of control - THIS IS HELL

Local news report - Disaster

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 10:10 AM

Those images and film clips are apocalyptic. It's horrendous.

Thinking of you guys.
Posted By: titus

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 12:13 PM

All the areas affected we have visited many times as my daughter lived on acreage outside Milton/Ulladulla. We were caught in a fire on the way to Jervis Bay in 2004 in an old Ford Falcon and the bodywork was scorched but luckily were able to get out on another road. Luckily she and her family moved to Nelson Bay 18 months ago. The areas around Mallacoota and East Gippsland often have one road in and out so when the fires come down the road they are trapped. Very popular around Christmas and New Year. My sister had a boat on the Gippsland Lakes. It is a wonderful part of the world. We wish Australian all the very best. Wonderful stoic people.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 12:26 PM

I just got an SMS from my brother. 45° on the northern edge of Sydney. A southerly buster (strong south wind) had just arrived which gives some relief from the temperature but would not be good for any fires still alight.
Posted By: titus

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 12:41 PM

Just heard from my daughter that all the area around Little Forest where they lived in flames and there neighbours houses lost.
Communications have gone down.
It really brings it home when you know the people affected.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 01:01 PM

Happy New Year Australia.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 01:03 PM

Just listening to it on the news on BBC radio 4. It sounds truly horrific.
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 01:15 PM

So are they still going ahead with the Sydney Harbour firework display???? To me that really is nonsensical.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 01:42 PM

This takes you to a fire map of Australia https://myfirewatch.landgate.wa.gov.au/

I turned off all the fire options and turned on all the lightning activity options (the last few days) that give an amazing idea of how many of the fires have probably started.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by DaveW
So are they still going ahead with the Sydney Harbour firework display???? To me that really is nonsensical.

Don't be silly now it's all about visitor revenue not emotions Antipodian pyrotechnics
It must feel like a slap in the face for the thousands that are suffering out there, let alone the loss of life.

A quote from the Sydney mayor in defence - I think she's been watching Yes Minister..

Ms Moore told a press conference that New Year's Eve was an important celebration that would "give hope to people at a terrible time", but called for action on climate change.
She stressed the preparations for the event to usher in the new decade had begun 15 months ago.
"Many people have already flown in and paid for hotels and restaurants, travelling from all over the world to be here for tonight's New Year's Eve. It generates A$130m (£69m; $91m) for the NSW economy, powers our tourism industry, creates jobs and supports countless small businesses", she said.
But she argued that the "compelling issue here is climate change", and called on the government to do more to reduce global emissions.
"Cities around the world are doing their bit to address global warming; it's our national governments that are failing us," she added.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 04:32 PM

In general terms perhaps it is time to switch from pyrotechnic displays to light shows and laser displays. The result would be less disturbing for animals and a lot less poluting.
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gambalunga
In general terms perhaps it is time to switch from pyrotechnic displays to light shows and laser displays. The result would be less disturbing for animals and a lot less poluting.

+1
Posted By: Peter J

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 05:17 PM

It seems that these fires are not the largest on record.
This is worth a read through, goes back to 1851...

In 1851 Fires covered a quarter of what is now Victoria (approximately 5 million hectares).
Areas affected include Portland, Plenty Ranges, Westernport, the Wimmera and Dandenong districts.
Approximately 12 lives, one million sheep and thousands of cattle were lost. Probably because no one lived there and no one tried to put the fires out.

If records existed I'm certain that fires of this size have happened across Australia for millenia. My view is that the Geo-ecology of Australia has evolved to a state that is incompatible with a western, developed, urban society.
The only solutions may be one or more of the following, all are unacceptable and unrealistic.

1. Clear the scrub so that it doesn't come within 50km of any settled area: that would devastate the ecology.
2. Require all buildings to be built of non combustible materials: that would be unaffordable
3. Persuade people to live elsewhere: that would be un achievable.

Globally there are too many humans living in places that are incompatible with settlement. Fiddling with CO2 emissions is not going to achieve anything.
Human society, as we know it, is doomed. We have had our cake, eaten it and now must pay the price.
Happy New Year.
Posted By: Paul F

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hamwich

+1

+1 from me.

+1 each from our two horses
Posted By: Ray

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 05:49 PM

Peter, you're in a melancholy mood

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 06:47 PM

Plus 2 from me and Lady HB and plus 4 (no pun intended whilst we are talking about such a serious topic) from each of our cats who get terrified now and in November for several evenings
HB

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 08:10 PM

A good point DaveW.

It was a very contentious and hotly debated right up to the last moment. I suspect it came down to two issues – safety and commerce.

The City of Sydney had to get clearance from the Rural Fire Authority which was granted although I bet there were concerns for the bush-land areas around Wollstonecraft, Greenwich and Lane Cove National Park. As it turned out the 9pm kids fireworks were delayed because of the wind.

The commercial argument was they were committed and the money spent not to mention the impact it would have had on the restaurant and hotel industry along with the tourist disappointment.

With over a million people in and around Sydney Harbour this is no small show.

With that decision made I decided to fire off an email to our State Premier, Gladys Berejiklianor stating:-

Images of the NSW and Australian flag together with the fire fighters we have lost should be projected on the Opera House and Bridge Pylons prior to the fire works as a mark of respect and recognition and if not tonight, on Australia Day (January 26th)

There was no real chance this would happen before the fireworks but let’s see what comes of this.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Peter J
It seems that these fires are not the largest on record.
This is worth a read through, goes back to 1851...

In 1851 Fires covered a quarter of what is now Victoria (approximately 5 million hectares).
Areas affected include Portland, Plenty Ranges, Westernport, the Wimmera and Dandenong districts.
Approximately 12 lives, one million sheep and thousands of cattle were lost. Probably because no one lived there and no one tried to put the fires out.

If records existed I'm certain that fires of this size have happened across Australia for millenia. My view is that the Geo-ecology of Australia has evolved to a state that is incompatible with a western, developed, urban society.
The only solutions may be one or more of the following, all are unacceptable and unrealistic.

1. Clear the scrub so that it doesn't come within 50km of any settled area: that would devastate the ecology.
2. Require all buildings to be built of non combustible materials: that would be unaffordable
3. Persuade people to live elsewhere: that would be un achievable.

Globally there are too many humans living in places that are incompatible with settlement. Fiddling with CO2 emissions is not going to achieve anything.
Human society, as we know it, is doomed. We have had our cake, eaten it and now must pay the price.
Happy New Year.

Quite true Peter.

In summary we have many more people and much less bush. In those days there would be no way to control or put the fire out.
No doubt this had been going on for millions of years. Today, we insist on living close to bush, in houses not suited and practice poor land management - a long comes a major drought event so we now pay the price.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/12/19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Paul F
Originally Posted by Hamwich

+1

+1 from me.

+1 each from our two horses

+3 and soon +4 when we get another cat.

Something like the Gardens by the Bay light show in Singapore would be good. The music might be loud enough to scare some animals but less noisy that fire works.

I played a New Years Eve gig last night, not that far away but a long drive home as the smoke is so thick it is impossible to see more than 100 metres and there were kangaroos everywhere. But it could be worse, I could be in the middle of the bushfire, not just in the middle of the smoke from the bushfires. This morning the visibility is probably 300 metres or so and the house is full of smoke even though we had all the windows and doors shut.

A few people have been asking me my view about the long term affects of breathing in all the smoke. I hope it is not like breathing in Cigarette smoke. I hope nothing but really it is impossible to not breathe it in.

So many nice cute towns like Mogo have been devastated. What is really sad is if/when rebuilt chances are they are going to be in a new ugly boring modern style of architecture. I hope not but I can imagine it would be like if every Morgan, MG and other interesting classic car was taken off the road and replaced with a white Toyota Camry. New buildings just seem to have no style whatsoever.

Re: Fires in Australia - 01/01/20 12:09 AM

Happy New Year Australia.

Happy New Year London
Posted By: BobtheTrain

Re: Fires in Australia - 01/01/20 08:21 AM

And get Pink Floyd to do the management.

Re: Fires in Australia - 01/01/20 10:24 PM

Excuse the language but look at what is happening in the Victorian seaside town of Mallacoota

Mallacoota is now totally isolated.

Black Hawk helicopters are being used to bring in fire fighters and the Navy has been deployed to evacuate people off the beach.

Re: Fires in Australia - 02/01/20 12:12 AM

Mallacoota is now totally isolated.

Black Hawk helicopters are being used to bring in fire fighters and the Navy has been deployed to evacuate people off the beach.

These scenes are really harrowing for these people, the place has been turned into a war zone and I can't help wondering why the Canadian and American Air fire bombers didn't come over a month ago and dig in, lets hope they can make a difference now they have arrived.

Re: Fires in Australia - 02/01/20 11:18 PM

We have heard from a few friends in the last 24 hours. So far they are safe but they have all been evacuated from properties and houses on the South Coast of NSW. Unfortunately some have already lost houses and others simply do not know. Power is intermitant and in a lot of cases phones are out.

If you want an idea of what it can be like for the fire crews take a look at the video below.

Burnover. The full story.

https://vimeo.com/frnsw/review/382385153/19fc4e3f11

These guys are stationed not far from a place where I used to live. They kept calm and made it out OK but it must have been a near thing. Their truck was not equipped with a safety refuge but they were able to protect themselves with fire blankets.

I have seen similar things on a couple of occasions but nowhere near as severe as this.

Re: Fires in Australia - 03/01/20 07:38 AM

Fiddling with CO2 emissions is not going to achieve anything.

In general I agree with what you say, Peter, except for the above line.

While it's true that bush fires have always been part of the ecology of Australia, the fact is that temperatures have been ratcheting upwards, which exacerbates the situation. To describe addressing the climate emergency as fiddling with CO2 emissions does rather trivialize the issue.

Re: Fires in Australia - 03/01/20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by pandy
Fiddling with CO2 emissions is not going to achieve anything.

In general I agree with what you say, Peter, except for the above line.

While it's true that bush fires have always been part of the ecology of Australia, the fact is that temperatures have been ratcheting upwards, which exacerbates the situation. To describe addressing the climate emergency as fiddling with CO2 emissions does rather trivialize the issue.

Pandy, I suspect Peter is referring to our governments proposal to include surplus carbon credits generated in our last compliance period to off set our future "Paris" accord emission obligations. In that regard they are "Fiddling" with CO2 emissions and Prime Minister Morrison is trivializing the issue.

Re: Fires in Australia - 03/01/20 10:32 PM

Oh, fair enough. My apologies to Peter for the misunderstanding.

You're dead right about the PM.

Re: Fires in Australia - 04/01/20 01:56 AM

Pandy, I can't speak for Peter of course but I think that's what he means.

Your point regarding Australia's response to climate change is well made.

It's 12.56 pm in OZ, 41C outside at my home and 44C in Sydney with smoke everywhere.
We have dead and missing across the south east and southern parts of our country and it's not over yet.......

Re: Fires in Australia - 05/01/20 01:48 AM

Yesterday was between 41 and 43 degrees most of the day, a fair bit of smoke but not as bad as today where I can't see 100 metres and inside the house it is a dark as night time with the lights off.

Spent yesterday in the bedroom with the small air-conditioning unit going and the TV with everything else in the house turned off. I thought might as well try cut down our electricity usage on such a hot day. I was worried on such a hot day the electricity grid might fail, luckily it handled the load OK.

Re: Fires in Australia - 05/01/20 04:13 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBs...RJzzOzxClNQKZEFKyVmmBPqGYYJvsQ1bLGHJ1DNM

Interesting view of why we are in a drought and why the fires are so bad. Maybe it is time for the Queen to come over and sack our leaders.
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: Fires in Australia - 05/01/20 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisConvertible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBs...RJzzOzxClNQKZEFKyVmmBPqGYYJvsQ1bLGHJ1DNM

Interesting view of why we are in a drought and why the fires are so bad. Maybe it is time for the Queen to come over and sack our leaders.

Interesting. To a pom like me, it helps me understand that the current situation is not purely down to climate change as some hysterical media outlets suggest

Re: Fires in Australia - 05/01/20 09:50 AM

Like many conspiracy theorists he has some good points.

The use of huge amounts of water for cotton farming and other purposes has certainly had a huge effect on the inland river systems. The Darling river, Australia's longest river, was navigable as far as Bourke in the 1800s. One could not even imagine it today. Other than having been deprived of a considerable amount of water the river is contaminated by fertiliser and pesticide run off (extensive aerial crop dusting is used on cotton), and the introduction of carp has wreaked havoc on the river ecosystem and caused the loss of native fish species. All in all a colossal case of mismanagement.

Unfortunately he confuses mismanagement and greed with conspiracy.

Re: Fires in Australia - 05/01/20 05:17 PM

Accepted!!

Re: Fires in Australia - 05/01/20 05:19 PM

It seems to me that there are many ways to meaningfully cut CO2 release but all of them have unacceptable socio-economic consequences that society is a long way from accepting.
I could make a list, including Australia stopping the export of coal. But that would bankrupt the nation.
Trading emission credits is fiddling whilst Australia burns.

A couple of points made by an Aussie friend of mine, now living in Canada, are interesting. Essentially he said that forest management policies, driven by the "eco-green" lobby have resulted in a build up of scrub and plant litter. This used to be eliminated by controlled burning when in the winter. But burning produces smoke and upsets the wild life, so it was stopped. Likewise in California, but made worse because of import of gum trees from Oz about 100 years ago in an effort to have faster growing timber. The gum trees got loose and spread but were not suitable for commercial felling while being much more oily and thus burnable than the native trees. Indeed, most species of gum tree need low temperature fires to set their seed: the trees are largely unaffected by small fires. So, by not doing what native australians and americans had done for years, in the name of conservation, we create far larger problems, and blame it on climate change. Yes, climate change is a contributory factor, but our social stupidity is a far greater cause.

Re: Fires in Australia - 05/01/20 07:16 PM

Clarkson demonstrating once more what a complete crass asshole he is Australian devastation

There are better ways for him to keep his mug on the front page, maybe a large contribution to the Aussie fire fighters.

Re: Fires in Australia - 05/01/20 10:07 PM

Like many conspiracy theorists he has some good points.

Unfortunately he confuses mismanagement and greed with conspiracy.

100% agree, probably the best summary of the video.

Re: Fires in Australia - 05/01/20 10:51 PM

This NASA shot and Europe graphic really brings it home the scale of this disaster for you folk out there.

[Linked Image]

Re: Fires in Australia - 05/01/20 11:37 PM

A couple of points made by an Aussie friend of mine, now living in Canada, are interesting. Essentially he said that forest management policies, driven by the "eco-green" lobby have resulted in a build up of scrub and plant litter. This used to be eliminated by controlled burning when in the winter. But burning produces smoke and upsets the wild life, so it was stopped. Likewise in California, but made worse because of import of gum trees from Oz about 100 years ago in an effort to have faster growing timber. The gum trees got loose and spread but were not suitable for commercial felling while being much more oily and thus burnable than the native trees. Indeed, most species of gum tree need low temperature fires to set their seed: the trees are largely unaffected by small fires. So, by not doing what native australians and americans had done for years, in the name of conservation, we create far larger problems, and blame it on climate change. Yes, climate change is a contributory factor, but our social stupidity is a far greater cause.

Aboriginal "fire stick farming" actually altered the Australian landscape. Traces of ash layers in Lake sediments can be dated back to the arrival of humans in the region. When early explorers moved out from Sydney they referred to the forest as open forest, This is thought to have meant large but spaced trees with grass or undergrowth separating them. The Aboriginals periodically burned and build up of fire dangerous undergrowth in seasons when it was safe to do so. This also encouraged fresh grass growth to feed the kangaroos that can breed prolifically in good seasons.

The explores Hume and Hovell set out from Sydney in 1824 with 3 horses, 5 bullocks, and 2 wagons. They arrived near the present site of Geelong in 11 weeks. This included crossing several rivers including a flooded Murrumbidgee. They took a more westerly route through easier country to return in only 5 weeks. Clearly this would have been impossible if they had had to hack their way through dense bush for part of the journey. A good deal of the trip is still open farming country today but as anyone who has ever driven down the Hume Highway could tell you a good part of the first few hundred kilometres out of Sydney is thickly forested today.

[Linked Image]

Map showing the out and return routes taken by Hovell and Hume.
Posted By: Uther

Re: Fires in Australia - 06/01/20 12:22 AM

Just to add perspective for all the rabid greens bashers accusing them of stopping Hazzard reduction burns and making the fires worse, see the below article.

=68.ARDGTrADRmVrdf13_-MD0ylEmUkeMAq...mQ&__tn__=kCH-R]Fire and rescue post
Posted By: Rovert

Re: Fires in Australia - 06/01/20 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by +8Rich

This NASA shot and Europe graphic really brings it home the scale of this disaster for you folk out there.

[Linked Image]

Horrific.But not actually a NASA Photo but a " 3D visualization” of the Australian fires by Anthony Hearsey, “an image maker who specialises in photography, retouching and creative imaging,” which was compiled from NASA satellite data collected across the span of a month.Many postings of this image included a disclaimer noting that the visualization encompassed “all the areas which have been affected” by fires in Australia, but that “not all the areas are still burning”:

Re: Fires in Australia - 06/01/20 08:35 AM

Either way it is very worrying & the impact for all of us but especially the locals is terrible.
Posted By: Rovert

Re: Fires in Australia - 06/01/20 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by John V6
Either way it is very worrying & the impact for all of us but especially the locals is terrible.

Indeed

Re: Fires in Australia - 06/01/20 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rovert

[Linked Image]

Horrific.But not actually a NASA Photo but a " 3D visualization” of the Australian fires by Anthony Hearsey, “an image maker who specialises in photography, retouching and creative imaging,” which was compiled from NASA satellite data collected across the span of a month.Many postings of this image included a disclaimer noting that the visualization encompassed “all the areas which have been affected” by fires in Australia, but that “not all the areas are still burning”:

I would advise caution interpreting this “photo” - Peter is on the mark here

Re: Fires in Australia - 06/01/20 09:50 AM

[Linked Image]

Yes I was sent it in the belief it was a genuine NASA photograph so sorry for any misleading on this situation.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 06/01/20 06:14 PM

I've been thinking....

from all that has been said here and others have written it seems to me that the brush fires in Australia and California are almost entirely of our own making, due to politically motivated eco-fiddling.

Peter G explained how that Aboriginal "fire stick farming" actually altered the Australian landscape and mentioned that traces of ash layers in Lake sediments can be dated back to the before the arrival of western settlers in the region. When early explorers moved out from Sydney they referred to the forest as open forest, This is thought to have meant large but spaced trees with grass or undergrowth separating them. The Aboriginals periodically burned the build up of fire dangerous undergrowth in seasons when it was safe to do so. This also encouraged fresh grass growth to feed the kangaroos that can breed prolifically in good seasons.

Reflecting on all this I have come to believe that Ms G Thunberg and her supporters, including Extinction Rebellion, know exactly how to drastically reduce the CO2 emissions caused by the humans on this planet. They do indeed, have the solution to global warming.

Unfortunately putting their solution into place at a rate capable of achieving rapid results would destroy the human society they believe they can save. How is this?

To cut CO2 emissions as they propose would require draconian enforcement as humans are generally incapable of damaging their individual lifestyle and quality of life in the name of social betterment, so would not buy into it voluntarily. The cuts in the use of fossil fuels they demand would all but eliminate heavy industry, including the generation of electricity, the production of metals and chemicals (pharmaceuticals) and much food. It would make human travel by air, sea, road and rail and the shipment of cargo by the same means impossible.

The result would be the economies of Russia, China, India and much of South Asia and South America would stall and western society would go into meltdown, together probably triggering global conflict.

The naivety of the proponents of this solution beggars belief, yet the media and left wing governments or opposition parties claim to be committed to make it all happen, but are incapable of explaining in detail just how it would happen. Worse, they deny the knowledge and experience of the first settlers, who worked in harmony with the land.

My considered opinion is that without a radical adjustment of the approach to environmental management, moving away from the science logic of the academics, who know the numbers for everything, but understand little we cannot make change. Instead we need to accept we have made a mess and start to clear it up using "working with nature", understanding why the ancients did what they did and building on it. It is worth note that here south of Salisbury the water meadows each side of the river Avon, between Salisbury and Downton and then between Fordingbridge and Ringwood, and which were laid out between 1665 and 1690, and according to some, based on drainage set out by the Romans, have consistently ensured that none of the towns flood. No expensive modern flood remediation work has been needed, although about 15 years ago there was a flood in Downton, due mostly to lack of maintenance of the locks and gates. It is mainly as a consequence of land ownership stability that they remain unchanged, despite recent attempts by developers to build on the land.

This is an interesting paper on the way it all happened, so long ago.
https://bahs.org.uk/AGHR/ARTICLES/51n2a3.pdf
The meadows still flood, but not in quite the same controlled manner

Rant over....
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 06/01/20 07:51 PM

All civilisations crumble, and so will this one.

No one will willingly recalibrate their lifestyle, and no country will unilaterally de-industrialise.

Every solution proposed simply changes the global impact, and none more so by the production and disposal of batteries.

Most of us here will be gone in 30 years so we won't see the gradual changes develop, but quite honestly, if we don't stop commercial flying and world wide transhipment by diesel container ships (and cruise ships), world travel will decline, because there will be fewer places worth visiting.

Electric cars? Isn't this a drop in the ocean????

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 06/01/20 09:53 PM

It's time to show active support .

My local Rural Fire Service will be holding its first volunteer training session at its magnificently named "Wallaby Joe" facility.
Training starts at 6.30pm tonight.

I will be there....

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 06/01/20 10:04 PM

Good article and a nice "Rant" coffee thumbs

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 07/01/20 04:55 AM

My local Rural Fire Service will be holding its first volunteer training session at its magnificently named "Wallaby Joe" facility.

I will be there....

Garry that is great. As I said to one neighbour who asked why I bothered joining the local volunteer fire unit, well if my house is on fire and your house is on fire and I am the only person with a fire hose which house do you think will be put out first? I was joking but seriously if people don't volunteer for these things they can't really complain if their own house does get burnt down.

The ACT has a thing called Community Fire Units CFU that I joined about 10 years ago, hopefully I never need to use my training but it is handy to have the experience. So far the only real action I have seen is standing with a fire hose filling up small 4WD tankers for the fire brigade that went up the hill to the fire, not really exciting but the fire bridge said it certainly helped put out the fire quicker. Pretty boring after a while but safer than being where the fire was and sometimes I prefer boring.

Each CFU has about 20 members and allocated to an area. For some reason they don't want us to go to other areas, we will only get called up if there is a fire in our area. I guess the good thing is I know where each hydrant is, how many hoses to join together to get behind the houses in each street within the area and what are some safe escape paths out if I have to save myself.

Each month we go around and clean out hydrants, if people have buried them under shrubs ask them politely to expose the hydrant, put notes on peoples cars if they park over a hydrant, when testing each hydrant we give the gardens nearby a nice water which in this drought makes people happy. I have also cleared some common areas that I thought were a fire hazard.

We have a petrol pump that we can put in a pond or swimming pool to suck out water that we test every couple of months. What gets me is for some reason no one older than me or younger than me know how to start it, I guess the older can't remember what a choke is and the younger have never seen one. Plus they stuff around on half throttle once it does start and the water they have primed it with runs out and it never starts sucking. I doubt we will ever have to use it for real as there is enough hydrants for us to reach into the bush behind all the houses - but if so I hope I am there if we do as generally I get it going and sucking pretty quickly.
Posted By: Jens

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 07/01/20 07:16 AM

https://twitter.com/HappyHarryMedia/status/1212740948813324288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1212740948813324288&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.danisch.de%2Fblog%2F2020%2F01%2F07%2Fueber-desinformation-kontinent-vandalismus-und-die-fucking-wombats%2F
Posted By: Jays ex Nero

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 07/01/20 03:40 PM

[Linked Image]

Yes I was sent it in the belief it was a genuine NASA photograph so sorry for any misleading on this situation.

It’s still quite relevant though Richard. It’s made up of composite satellite photos and whilst it looks like much of Australia is burning, it does show the extent of the fires that have happened and those that still burn. Quite horrifying just how much has been affected.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 07/01/20 05:01 PM

We in Europe often forget how big Oz is & how low generally the population density is. But NSW is pretty crowded.
I had a new American MD when I was Global SC Director of a rubber company supplying industrial rubber to the mining industry.
He blithely told me he tour Oz. Arriving late day 1 he would have breakfast with the Perth team & lunch with the local HO in Melbourne.
I has postcard of Oz imposed on N America , when I showed it him you could see he didn't believe it.

You have to hope the economy locally can recover from this.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 07/01/20 06:52 PM

It has been a fashion for a few years for Italian couples to honeymoon in Australia. Since they don't know the country so they leave the tour planning to travel agents who, as far as I can see, don't know the country either and go by travel brochures. In a week or so they are sent to Sydney, Melbourne, Kangaroo Island, Uluru, and Brisbane. You see them tottering of the plane at places like Uluru totally exhausted having spent more time on aeroplanes than in the tourist attractions. Often the girls are dressed in fashion clothing and wearing totally inappropriate high heels.

If they manage to stay together after a honeymoon like that they are probably set for life.

Re: Fires in Australia - 11/01/20 07:49 PM

A good point DaveW.

It was a very contentious and hotly debated right up to the last moment. I suspect it came down to two issues – safety and commerce.

The City of Sydney had to get clearance from the Rural Fire Authority which was granted although I bet there were concerns for the bush-land areas around Wollstonecraft, Greenwich and Lane Cove National Park. As it turned out the 9pm kids fireworks were delayed because of the wind.

The commercial argument was they were committed and the money spent not to mention the impact it would have had on the restaurant and hotel industry along with the tourist disappointment.

With over a million people in and around Sydney Harbour this is no small show.

With that decision made I decided to fire off an email to our State Premier, Gladys Berejiklianor stating:-

Images of the NSW and Australian flag together with the fire fighters we have lost should be projected on the Opera House and Bridge Pylons prior to the fire works as a mark of respect and recognition and if not tonight, on Australia Day (January 26th)

There was no real chance this would happen before the fireworks but let’s see what comes of this.

Firefighter images on the Opera House.....
Posted By: SFG

Re: Fires in Australia - 11/01/20 08:09 PM

Well done that man

Re: Fires in Australia - 11/01/20 08:11 PM

Great stuff....
"There was no real chance this would happen before the fireworks but let’s see what comes of this."

[Linked Image]

Re: Fires in Australia - 11/01/20 11:20 PM

Nice touch. Well done the Opera House.

Re: Fires in Australia - 16/01/20 06:47 AM

Nice touch. Well done the Opera House.

It was a nice touch and good to be touched today by the best bit of rain in months.....

Re: Fires in Australia - 20/01/20 09:29 AM

No rain for well over 2 months and then we get the hail storm from hell. The good news is I can now see the mountains from my window that I have not seen for over 2 months thanks to too much smoke, the bad news is I drove my car to work

Not sure whether to feel lucky or unlucky about my job. Over a year ago I retired and my boss and other staff were joking that I was going to return once I sorted out my pension to earn enough money for that Morgan I always talked about. Anyway that job actually materialised after a very long security check to do the same job I had before and I am now back at work. Not sure if that is good or bad as my pension is really well over adequate and I was enjoying driving my car so much I was thinking why bother going back to work to buy a different fun car.

Unfortunately I got the call last week to start so drove to work today parked in the car park and now I have a car with dents in every panel a roof with lots of holes in it. The roof is bad but I am more worried about the expense of the panel repairs as it has hundred of dents everywhere.

[Linked Image]

I now wish I said can I have another week off to finish some jobs around the house.

I put in a claim on line, my son who loves my car wanted me to call up thinking I would have more luck convincing them we do not want the car written off as it is fun and rather rare, but when I called them the message was "You are number 159 in the queue the estimated wait time is 15569 minutes and 23 seconds". As that is nearly 11 days I thought just put in an online claim and wait for them to get to me

Re: Fires in Australia - 20/01/20 10:14 AM

Not good news Chris. We also got storms and hail but nothing like that.

What a crazy climate country we live in.....

Re: Fires in Australia - 20/01/20 10:33 AM

According to the financial press today the fires in Australia will have no impact on their overall economic performance.
A slight fall (0.1% GDP estimate) will be counteracted by a growth in infrastructure investment as people re-build.
28 people lost (I don't have figures for those injured), 2 billion wild animals and some small communities.
But the fires were almost exclusively in "economically inactive land".

Given the media attention to this fire can the consequences be so small?

Reports suggest the fires have added 400 to 450m tonnes of CO2, about the same as the annual release of CO2 coal from Australias mines.
We can do something about coal burning, but not bush fires, it seems.
Food for thought.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Fires in Australia - 20/01/20 10:41 AM

Cripes what was it raining, pointy metal frogs (pestilence for those not religious - like me).
I cannot imagine being an insurance company if this is a regular thing?
Talk about piling pain on top of pain.

Peter there was a program on the BBC yesterday about the new waves of eco-development. I was amazed/shocked/depressed that the concrete industry produces more CO2 than the airline industry. Quite incredible. Very progressive India company.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8616406.stm (sorry for those outside the UK but apparently we keep the good stuff for ourselves (ahem)

Re: Fires in Australia - 20/01/20 10:46 AM

Concrete production is a CO2 source that most overlook.
To be honest, most robust building materials produce CO2, concrete, bricks, steel, etc.

Timber is better and plasterboard (sheetrock in some countries) uses gypsum which is produced by de-sulfurising incinerator gasses, so is a CO2 soak.
But timber houses are more of a fire risk and need more maintenance.
No easy answers.

Re: Fires in Australia - 20/01/20 12:13 PM

I just spent an hour or so putting nearly a whole roll of Gorilla tape over the holes in the roof so hopefully the car is water proof. I counted 50 dents on the boot, 25 on the panel that covers the roof and 90 on the bonnet, I am sure once I wash the car they will be easier to see and there will be more plus I know there are a lot down one side of the car. I tried to check the website for the paint less dent repair places that the insurance company booked the car into and I got a 509 too busy, I expect everyone is having a look to see where their car is booked into. I did look earlier and from memory it was $40 to $80 per dent, say 200 dents and that is somewhere between $8,000 to $16,000. I expect those dent repair places are only economical if there are only a few dents, maybe it would be cheaper to repair the car by conventional panel beating methods. Unfortunately I expect it could be a write off which is a shame as it is a really fun car to drive, my son and his friends enjoyed sitting in the back as toddlers (and older) so I am/was expecting my grandchild to love it as well when she is a little bit older.

Interesting that the bushfires will not really affect the economy, I expect the auto industry will be similar even though with Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne badly hit there are hundreds of thousands of damaged cars, I expect there was about 2000 cars just in that car park with my car and many cars had smashed windows and rear hatches filled with hail and rain. I doubt any car in that car park did not get damage.

Watching the stock market over the last month I remember a day when Bega Cheese dropped about 10% one day but other shares made up more so from memory the day was overall positive. I do wonder with the bushfires followed by this storm how the insurance companies will go, maybe drop as well but probably not a huge affect over the whole market.

The storm probably only lasted maybe 30 minutes of golf ball hail stones and heavy rain but caused a lot of damage. Ignoring the storm it was a nice day - I drove to work and back home with the roof off.

Re: Fires in Australia - 20/01/20 12:17 PM

I just spent an hour or so putting nearly a whole roll of Gorilla tape over the holes in the roof so hopefully the car is water proof. I counted 50 dents on the boot, 25 on the panel that covers the roof and 90 on the bonnet, I am sure once I wash the car they will be easier to see and there will be more plus I know there are a lot down one side of the car. I tried to check the website for the paint less dent repair places that the insurance company booked the car into and I got a 509 too busy, I expect everyone is having a look to see where their car is booked into. I did look earlier and from memory it was $40 to $80 per dent, say 200 dents and that is somewhere between $8,000 to $16,000. I expect those dent repair places are only economical if there are only a few dents, maybe it would be cheaper to repair the car by conventional panel beating methods. Unfortunately I expect it could be a write off which is a shame as it is a really fun car to drive, my son and his friends enjoyed sitting in the back as toddlers (and older) so I am/was expecting my grandchild to love it as well when she is a little bit older.

Interesting that the bushfires will not really affect the economy, I expect the auto industry will be similar even though with Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne badly hit there are hundreds of thousands of damaged cars, I expect there was about 2000 cars just in that car park with my car and many cars had smashed windows and rear hatches filled with hail and rain. I doubt any car in that car park did not get damage.

Watching the stock market over the last month I remember a day when Bega Cheese dropped about 10% one day but other shares made up more so from memory the day was overall positive. I do wonder with the bushfires followed by this storm how the insurance companies will go, maybe drop as well but probably not a huge affect over the whole market.

The storm probably only lasted maybe 30 minutes of golf ball hail stones and heavy rain but caused a lot of damage. Ignoring the storm it was a nice day - I drove to work and back home with the roof off.

Sorry to read this Chris, sods law in action again and good luck with the insurance. Some BBC footage (contributed) Hailstorm Aussie style

Re: Fires in Australia - 20/01/20 03:51 PM

Sorry to see the damage to your car Chris.

I had some hail damage to the Jaguar (aluminium body) a couple of years back. My insurance cover it at no cost to me and the repairs are totally invisible. Nothing as bad as yours though. Hopefully they will be able to put it right.

There is nothing new about severe hail storms in Sydney. If I recall correctly from some reading the first settlers in Sydney, shortly after arrival of the fleet, suffered a severe hail storm that injured several people and killed a sheep, and on May 14 1798 there was a severe hail storm with stones up to 6 inches in diameter. Poultry was killed and lambs knocked down (whatever that may mean). I have never been under a bad one, by sheer luck, but I have seen the aftermath of several. They tend to pass across the Sydney area in a relatively narrow band and when it happens not only do cars get damaged but windows, roof tiles, and anything else that is breakable.
Posted By: britmog

Re: Fires in Australia - 20/01/20 04:01 PM

Up here in the mountains spring hail storms are the norm, usually we have grape sized hail and every so often golf ball sized. 3 years ago we had a storm that produced tennis ball size hail and destroyed whole communities that are still being repaired/rebuilt. A large shopping mall was closed for over two years and only recently fully opened. My sons car was completely destroyed and I mean destroyed (written off) and his house shredded took 18 months to repair. The weather forecasters are pretty good at predicting the storms so taking cover is the rigor just like the old cold war days.

Re: Fires in Australia - 23/01/20 07:25 AM

This just got worse.....

Three Dead in Fire fighting plane crash

Re: Fires in Australia - 23/01/20 07:52 AM

Sad news indeed. Condolences to the family and friends of the three crew members.

Re: Fires in Australia - 23/01/20 07:56 AM

Re: Fires in Australia - 23/01/20 09:33 AM

Sad news indeed. Condolences to the family and friends of the three crew members.

We are very thankful for all the help we have received from overseas Fire Crews and it is sad to see this happen.
I spent my third night of training with the NSW Rural Fire Service on Tuesday in the company of some volunteer fire fighters from Norway who have come over to help.

Australia is grateful but devastated with the news of the crash.

Re: Fires in Australia - 23/01/20 03:58 PM

So sad to read the news of these brave Americans losing their lives helping out another friend in need, RIP to the 3 heroes and condolences to their families.

Re: Fires in Australia - 23/01/20 04:32 PM

That is indeed very tragic news I know we have firefighters from Colorado and our town over there. The aircrews do an amazing job of flying and dropping retardant in awful conditions, they will be having a wet in the bar at the Final RV with their colleagues.

Re: Fires in Australia - 23/01/20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by britmog
That is indeed very tragic news I know we have firefighters from Colorado and our town over there. The aircrews do an amazing job of flying and dropping retardant in awful conditions, they will be having a wet in the bar at the Final RV with their colleagues.

Thanks for the support Bruce. We are very grateful.
I trust we look after your team and have them home safe and sound very soon.

Re: Fires in Australia - 24/01/20 05:40 PM

Thank you. We are used to wildfires up here every summer from the last snow aroundJune to the first snow in October we are on high alert, which means having the emergency kit packed and vehicles full of petrol facing down the drive ready to go. Our firefighters are volunteers including the smoke jumpers, they are a wonderful group of men and women who were only too willing to go out to you and help their comrades. Their employers stepped up too and continue to pay them during their absence, as a community they are our heroes and have tremendous support. Hope their efforts have helped you conquer these adversities?
Posted By: howard

Re: Fires in Australia - 24/01/20 05:59 PM

According to the financial press today the fires in Australia will have no impact on their overall economic performance.
A slight fall (0.1% GDP estimate) will be counteracted by a growth in infrastructure investment as people re-build.
28 people lost (I don't have figures for those injured), 2 billion wild animals and some small communities.
But the fires were almost exclusively in "economically inactive land".

Given the media attention to this fire can the consequences be so small?

Reports suggest the fires have added 400 to 450m tonnes of CO2, about the same as the annual release of CO2 coal from Australias mines.
We can do something about coal burning, but not bush fires, it seems.
Food for thought.

I dont know how true it is Peter but I have seen reports that bush fires are a frequent issue in Oz so whilst these are worse than normal, they are far from unknown. Whats more the situation has been made worse by stopping scrub clearance on land in the name of the environment and tree numbers so it has spread worse than it might otherwise have had.

It seems likely that it has happened at just the right time to be picked up by the "climate emergency" activists, which is not to say that it isnt climate affected or that there isnt an emergency. Just that the reporting has painted a picture of a one off event solely dues to the Ozzie governments policies. Bit like everything here is down to "austerity".

Re: Fires in Australia - 24/01/20 10:17 PM

I just heard that one of our friends in Australia, near Tilba Tilba, lost everything yesterday. Apparently they thought the danger was past but a wind sprang up from the west and the fire, in dense forest, got going again. He is a motorcycle mechanic in retirement and other than one bike and the clothes he was wearing everything is gone, house, tools and equipment, and all the usual stuff that one would have in a house and sheds in a remote area. He has managed to get back into his land but has said that all that is left is melted lumps of metal. Thank goodness he was able to get out in time.

Unfortunately he has no insurance. His friends are setting up a fund to help him with any immediate needs. Apparently there will be a payment from a government fund but that will take time and will never cover his loss.

Re: Fires in Australia - 24/01/20 10:39 PM

I just heard that one of our friends in Australia, near Tilba Tilba, lost everything yesterday. Apparently they thought the danger was past but a wind sprang up from the west and the fire, in dense forest, got going again. He is a motorcycle mechanic in retirement and other than one bike and the clothes he was wearing everything is gone, house, tools and equipment, and all the usual stuff that one would have in a house and sheds in a remote area. He has managed to get back into his land but has said that all that is left is melted lumps of metal. Thank goodness he was able to get out in time.

Unfortunately he has no insurance. His friends are setting up a fund to help him with any immediate needs. Apparently there will be a payment from a government fund but that will take time and will never cover his loss.

Peter, that is tragic news and I am afraid he is not alone. Tilba Tilba is a glorious spot but would be very vulnerable to bush fire.

Good to hear he made it out alive. Others have not been so lucky.
Posted By: Neilda

Re: Fires in Australia - 26/01/20 08:01 AM

His friends are setting up a fund to help him with any immediate needs. Apparently there will be a payment from a government fund but that will take time and will never cover his loss.

Can you put a link up here or PM me with it? I'll happily put some cash his way....

Re: Fires in Australia - 26/01/20 09:31 AM

That is very nice of you Neil. So many have lost everything that it is just a drop in the ocean in comparison the the overall need. When I mentioned Roge's loss it was not with the thought that any TM members may wish to contribute to the fund.

This is the fund that was set up: https://www.gofundme.com/f/roges-bushfire-disaster

I should mention that some of Roge's friends have also contributed more directly so the gofundme total does not represent the true total.

On a more general scope it is difficult to know which of the many bushfire relief funds are genuine or otherwise. There are always those who will take advantage of such situations so a little research came up with the Australian Red Cross. I think they can be relied on to use any funds collected in a correct way.

https://www.redcross.org.au/news-and-media/news/australian-bushfires-how-we-are-using-funds

Donations to the Red Cross disaster relief fund can be made at: https://fundraise.redcross.org.au/drr

Re: Fires in Australia - 30/01/20 09:06 PM

Just to give you some idea how quickly these fires move take a look at this....
Fire crews realise what is coming and get out
(this footage is in real time and not sped up)

Fire spread in Canberra

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/01/20 06:18 AM

I should add the following commentary from the ABC Canberra.

This terrifying dashcam footage from the Currowan fire earlier this month has been shared by a South Coast fire brigade as a reminder of how quickly a bushfire can move.
The Dunmore Rural Fire Brigade was in the Shoalhaven region on January 4 when a firestorm blew through - luckily, they saw it coming and were able to protect themselves, many quickly fleeing the area.

The footage was filmed from the cabin of a fire vehicle that could not move or decided not to.
You can see they have activated the emergency "halo" which is a sprinkler system mounted on the roof of the vehicle to spray a protective ring of water around the vehicle if it is over run by a fire event. Not sure it would be much fun inside but they probably rolled down the fire blankets on the side windows as extra protection.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/01/20 07:54 AM

From very near my house.

[Linked Image]

Bushfires, then Hail, Then bushfires again. I assume Hail again next week?
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/01/20 08:29 AM

Bloody Hell

Literally
Posted By: Neilda

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/01/20 09:59 AM

From very near my house.

[Linked Image]

Bushfires, then Hail, Then bushfires again. I assume Hail again next week?

Going from that, I would suggest a plague of locusts and death of the first born. Possibly a sea of boils.

An awful situation for our Australian cousins. Not just for those who have lost so much, but also for those living in fear of losing it all.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/01/20 10:50 AM

My suburb is pretty hilly and a bit like an amphitheatre open at the bottom, so that photo is from the other side looking down but I can't see it as I look the wrong way, but the house that photo would have been taken from is about the same distance as my house to the fires.

Tuesday night the fire in the photo covered 5,000 hectares and is now 19,000 hectares, I think it was 30km from my house in the photo and is now 20km based on how close it is to other places. So it seems to be getting larger at a more rapid rate than closer.

Listening to the radio to find out how close the fire are getting and whether to evacuate or not. I have backed up a lot of stuff from my computer onto an external drive, thrown some important papers in a box, a change of clothes in a bag, our wedding photos together with a couple of other photo albums and my two favourite guitars in my badly hail damaged car ready in case we have to go quickly. Just hoping the fires keep away.
Posted By: bmgermany

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/01/20 02:43 PM

Finger Cross ist mit enough to say but my english ist not good enough to send you and your whole country my best wishes. I wish you all the best!!

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/01/20 03:43 PM

I should add the following commentary from the ABC Canberra.

This terrifying dashcam footage from the Currowan fire earlier this month has been shared by a South Coast fire brigade as a reminder of how quickly a bushfire can move.
The Dunmore Rural Fire Brigade was in the Shoalhaven region on January 4 when a firestorm blew through - luckily, they saw it coming and were able to protect themselves, many quickly fleeing the area.

The footage was filmed from the cabin of a fire vehicle that could not move or decided not to.
You can see they have activated the emergency "halo" which is a sprinkler system mounted on the roof of the vehicle to spray a protective ring of water around the vehicle if it is over run by a fire event. Not sure it would be much fun inside but they probably rolled down the fire blankets on the side windows as extra protection.

Here is a link to an article that includes the video.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...s-story/667ecb202430a07bd366316a84c04752

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/01/20 03:55 PM

Chris: Fully understand the emotions you are going through, not easy hang in there and be ready to go. Seven years ago we had severe fires here in the mountains, from our house we watched the fire move around 5 miles in under 30 minutes as it had created its own wind storm. Luckily for us it moved up the adjacent valley and we were OK, our escape routes were blocked. As they say here its not if there will be a fire its when!!

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/01/20 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by bmgermany
Finger Cross ist mit enough to say but my english ist not good enough to send you and your whole country my best wishes. I wish you all the best!!

Thank you bmgermany.

Re: Fires in Australia - 31/01/20 08:14 PM

Chris, Just watching our morning news and things do not look good.in your area.
Take no chances and stay safe.

Re: Fires in Australia - 02/02/20 08:02 AM

Chris
Hope things have improved at least a little bit for you where you are? It looks bloody terrifying on the bits of news we get here in the U.K. and, as animal lovers, heartbreaking for all loss of life (human and animal).
Best wishes
HB

Re: Fires in Australia - 02/02/20 02:56 PM

Just to give you some idea how quickly these fires move take a look at this....
Fire crews realise what is coming and get out
(this footage is in real time and not sped up)

Fire spread in Canberra

That is terrifying... good luck to everyone.

Re: Fires in Australia - 10/02/20 09:56 PM

The Gospers Mountain "Mega" fire west of Sydney is finally extinguished due to heavy rain and the work of 3,000 fire fighters .
This fire was started by a lightning strike on October 26th 2019 and has burnt continuously covering more than 525 thousand hectares, destroyed 6,500 building but thankfully no loss of human life.

Gospers Mountain fire summary

Re: Fires in Australia - 11/02/20 08:59 AM

Thank god. I know this has hit Australia very hard.

Re: Fires in Australia - 11/02/20 01:14 PM

Thanks for the nice wishes guys.

The Rain came and certainly helped, unfortunately Canberra didn't get drowned like the rest of East Australia but still a reasonable amount. The fires in the pictures I put up before are still burning but at least now under control.

Not really fire related but weather related due to the stupid hail storm we got, this morning my Insurance company NRMA wrote off the Silvia, the value is $10,500 and I get $9,650 based on my $850 excess. I can withdraw my claim and pay for the repairs myself or take the money and the car is written off, then I can try buy the car off Pickles but then it is an unregistered car that has to pass the inspections and will always be a write off so can only be registered in the ACT. Pretty annoying as other insurance companies are letting people keep the car and not writing it off for 10% of market value. So that would mean I could either get $9650 or $8600 but keep the car if I was with one of the other two major insurance companies.

Talking to the assessor his attitude is just accept the car is smashed, take the money and buy something like a MX5, you can still take out one grand child and they still love those cars. But talking to the repairers who did the quote which in my case was basically well that is too damaged to even think about they said they would keep the Nissan and not take the payout, MX5's are good cars but this car is really cool. However looking at the Mazda website and Australian safety websites it appears the MX5 is not allowed to have baby seats installed in the front at all so the assessors ideas are wrong and no fun trips with grand kids if I went the MX5 option.

I then went to a panel beater I know to talk to him, the guy behind the counter said the same thing, the car is cool but fixing it is too expensive if NRMA will not pay anything towards fixing it, also don't buy it from Pickles as a write off as it is often hard to get them registered, then the owner of the panel beater business turned up and said he has a bonnet and boot for a Silvia, probably $2,000 to knock out the dents in the sides, $6,000 to paint the car and then some parts so maybe $10,000. He wants me to talk to NRMA about buying the wreck again before it gets a written off status but I expect the story will be the same as the assessor said about all cars too damaged are written off and auctioned for parts, no buy back option at all.

My wife is just saying keep it and fix it, you can afford it now you are working but really that means spending $10,000 to the panel beater, say $4,000 on a roof and not taking $9650 from NRMA, meaning say $23,650 for a car that probably still has a market value of $10,500 where I could buy a 5 year old MX5 for around $25,000. Also it means spending $14,000 to fix a car that wouldn't have been damaged it I didn't go back to work so really I am back working after retirement to not be any better off financially than if I stayed at home. Working for effectively nothing would really annoy me.

What also annoys me is that I know my son loved that car when he was little and he still does, so I know my grand daughter will be probably very excited to get to ride in the back when she is a little bit bigger. Some people say just buy another 4 seater convertible, there is a 1981 Morgan 4 seater on the market for $45,000 only about 5,000km away. The only other 4 seater convertible cars I can think of are large Mercedes, BMW's, VW EOS, nothing that I really think of as sports car and a lot of money, or if old enough to get cheap probably a lot of expensive trouble.

My other thought is a MGB for about $10,000, means using the insurance money I get to cover buying the car and use it as a daily driver for a year or two until I retire again. Then get it restored to the Frontline Abingdon edition specification at Modern Classic cars, I visited them to see the car in this article and the quality of his work is certainly great. http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/11/britain-meets-japan-restomod-mg/

This would have to the worst summer ever, smoke so you can't breathe, next day clear but a sweltering 45 degrees, then smoke so thick you can't see the neighbours house, then hail to write off a nice 32 year old classic rare car, then fires 26km you can see from the next street.

Re: Fires in Australia - 11/02/20 01:49 PM

Three S15s for sale on Carsales https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/nissan/silvia/convertible-bodystyle

An S13 was for sale in WA but is probably long since gone https://www.muamat.com/classifieds/..._NISSAN_SILVIA_S13_CONVERTIBLE_1989.html

Re: Fires in Australia - 13/02/20 12:14 PM

Thanks Peter, but I have given up for now frown

I just bought a Skoda Rapid as my wife drove one before and always complained the Octavia is too big and she wanted a Rapid, so from now on I think my motoring is now going to be my wife with a new Rapid, I have the Octavia and the Silvia gets trashed by some wreckers yard that buys it from Pickles assuming it actually sells.

I phoned mum and she said good it is time you got sensible, only a stupid 17 year old wants sports cars, everyone I know things you are so stupid for driving a convertible like a young kid, all those sports cars like the Silvia and MX5 you had are just money pits. I was a bit shocked but I guess I know she didn’t really like the car, I also got a similar reaction from dad who also said good riddance to another one of your money pits. My wife is really happy and said a similar thing about only people under 20 care about cars and wished I would grow up. But really the MX5 was the cheapest car I owned, servicing was cheap, nothing went wrong and I only lost $5,000 in 9 years, the Ford Falcon lost $15,000 in 10 years and I spent a fair bit on repairs. The Silvia was not as good as the MX5 but still less per year than the Ford or Subaru Outback worked out to be with servicing and depreciation etc. I guess any car that seems fun must be a money pit or they just don’t realise how much their cars depreciate, my view is all cars are money pits even the boring ones. Plus I guess they never go to car shows and see the 60 and 70 year old men looking at the Jaguars, Morgans and MG’s etc.

But I will have a convertible again, I will never grow up. smile

Re: Fires in Australia - 15/08/20 10:36 AM

I thought I would add this footnote as a form of a tribute to Peter Knox-Dick, better known to long term TM’ers as RubyMorgan.

My opening post of this tread tells the sad story of Peter and his bush fire-related accident.

I first met Peter in 2011 when I went searching for a second hand Morgan. His “Ruby” Morgan was the first car I looked at.
The “Ruby” colour turned out to be “Rolls Royce Tudor Red” in official parlance and I was so impressed with the colour that I ordered it for my 4/4 once I decided to buy brand new.

Regrettably, Peter’s health prospects have not improved. As a result of his accident he is permanently paralysed below the waist and has now been moved to a care facility for the rest of his life. His country home has been sold along with his beloved cars – it could hardly be a more distressing outcome.

Australia and my region in particular was hard hit in the 2019 bush fire season. I have always believed in “doing something” when issues around your demand attention so I am pleased to report that after 6 months of COVID interrupted training, extensive online course work and a final 3-hour practical assessment today, I have now been accepted as a New South Wales Rural Fire Service volunteer in the magnificently named local brigade of Wallaby Joe.

I drove home from the assessment in 24-degree heat and it’s still the middle of winter here so heaven knows what summer will bring.

I will try and visit Peter when next I travel to Sydney but in the meantime, wish me luck as the next bushfire season is not far off.

I am on the far right,(wearing glasses) of the attached photo where all the candidates are appropriately socially distanced……
[Linked Image]

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 15/08/20 11:03 AM

January 20th, 2020....

I will be there....

It has been a long process but I am pleased it is done. Now the real work begins....

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 15/08/20 11:40 AM

Really sorry to read about RubyMorgan, that's just the worst outcome after these dreadful series of fires you have had out there Gary, thanks for the update though.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 15/08/20 02:01 PM

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the update, that is extremely sad news. I do remember back in Jan 2003 during the Canberra bushfires climbing on the roof and slipping but luckily didn't come off, later on I read more people got seriously injured falling off roofs than getting burn't. Reading your post about Peter makes me even more scared about getting up on the roof but unfortunately the gum trees about here fill the gutters up pretty quickly.

I notice you are in a Yellow outfit, around 2004 I joined the Canberra Community Fire Unit that is the volunteer run part of the local fire brigade and we wear a blue outfit so we can be easily distinguished from the professionals. My outfit was tight during the fires last year and now that I have been working from home sitting in front of a computer do 50 hour weeks rewriting code trying to get some performance on our machines (I expect COVID has caused number of transactions to have increased over 500%) I am sure the outfit will be very tight or not fit at all, I should probably try it now and see if I can get a bigger one issued to me.

I remember last December/January with temperatures of around 43 degrees and smoke so thick I could only see maybe 100 metres, add to that the Hail storms, floods and Coronavirus this year is one I don't really want to repeat. I just hope we don't get fires like last year again.

Thanks
Chris

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 15/08/20 02:12 PM

January 20th, 2020....

I will be there....

It has been a long process but I am pleased it is done. Now the real work begins....

Congratulations well done. Could do with you and your fellow Firefighters out here in Colorado we have 7 wildfires blazing one at over 60,000 acres no containment another approaching 50,000 acres with no containment. It is very hot and dry the monsoon rains didn't happen and the snow is forecast to arrive later this year. Going to be a long summer.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 15/08/20 02:20 PM

Well done Gary.
May you always remain safe when on duty.
Thanks for the update on Peter. Such a shame. Please do pass on my regards when you next get to see him.
Posted By: M3W55

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 15/08/20 02:45 PM

My brother and his wife are members of a CFU in the northern suburbs of Sydney. They find that wearing the full kit in Summer is tougher than fighting fires.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 16/08/20 01:00 AM

Well done Gary.
Thanks for the update on Peter. Such a shame. Please do pass on my regards when you next get to see him.

Graham & Richard,
I have managed to track down Pete this morning and have just got off the phone to him. He was delighted to receive your best wishes.
I have encouraged him to log on to TM now that he has a new computer and network facilities - hopefully we can expect a blast from the past soon.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 16/08/20 01:10 AM

January 20th, 2020....

I will be there....

Congratulations well done. Could do with you and your fellow Firefighters out here in Colorado we have 7 wildfires blazing one at over 60,000 acres no containment another approaching 50,000 acres with no containment. It is very hot and dry the monsoon rains didn't happen and the snow is forecast to arrive later this year. Going to be a long summer.

Thankyou britmog.
Australia was very grateful for the support U.S. firefighters provide during the last bush fire season.
COVID will make this a more difficult season but all of us in Oz ask you to stay safe and well.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 16/08/20 08:53 AM

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the update, that is extremely sad news. I do remember back in Jan 2003 during the Canberra bushfires climbing on the roof and slipping but luckily didn't come off, later on I read more people got seriously injured falling off roofs than getting burn't. Reading your post about Peter makes me even more scared about getting up on the roof but unfortunately the gum trees about here fill the gutters up pretty quickly.

I notice you are in a Yellow outfit, around 2004 I joined the Canberra Community Fire Unit that is the volunteer run part of the local fire brigade and we wear a blue outfit so we can be easily distinguished from the professionals. My outfit was tight during the fires last year and now that I have been working from home sitting in front of a computer do 50 hour weeks rewriting code trying to get some performance on our machines (I expect COVID has caused number of transactions to have increased over 500%) I am sure the outfit will be very tight or not fit at all, I should probably try it now and see if I can get a bigger one issued to me.

I remember last December/January with temperatures of around 43 degrees and smoke so thick I could only see maybe 100 metres, add to that the Hail storms, floods and Coronavirus this year is one I don't really want to repeat. I just hope we don't get fires like last year again.

Thanks
Chris

Good spot Chris. I have been using "hand me down" gear in training and have just received my complete new kit from helmet to boots.
I reckon there must be about A$1,200.00 worth of stuff.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 16/08/20 09:26 AM

Well done Gary.

Graham & Richard,
I have managed to track down Pete this morning and have just got off the phone to him. He was delighted to receive your best wishes.
I have encouraged him to log on to TM now that he has a new computer and network facilities - hopefully we can expect a blast from the past soon.

Thanks Gary, it would be great to see him back on here posting thumbs

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 16/08/20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by M3W55
My brother and his wife are members of a CFU in the northern suburbs of Sydney. They find that wearing the full kit in Summer is tougher than fighting fires.

Good spot Chris. I have been using "hand me down" gear in training and have just received my complete new kit from helmet to boots.
I reckon there must be about A$1,200.00 worth of stuff.

Yes the gear is very uncomfortable but would not be cheap. Mine is 6 years old and I have done a lot of training sessions but luckily only put it on for a fire once, I was told the boots wear in but not so yet. I have some steel capped boots I bought my self for working in the garden that I wore for the real fire and glad i did.
Posted By: Fus969

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 17/08/20 06:47 AM

I was in the Mundaring shire bushfire brigade in WA in the 80s early 90s . I remember 1991 was a particularly bad year for fires in WA we had a great bunch of volunteers back then we bought most of our own kit and one of our crew built a pump run by an old Holden engine On the back of an old Bedford for knocking fires out in the tops of trees it was very affective . I have a picture somewhere of us playing cricket against the Conservation and land management Team on rare summer weekend off ,I’m sure you’ll enjoy the same great team spirit we had . Sorry to hear about your mate Take care and good luck
Posted By: auster

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 17/08/20 07:18 AM

Gary, well done. The perfect response to the fires and to Peter's accident. Kerry

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 17/08/20 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fus969
I was in the Mundaring shire bushfire brigade in WA in the 80s early 90s . I remember 1991 was a particularly bad year for fires in WA we had a great bunch of volunteers back then we bought most of our own kit and one of our crew built a pump run by an old Holden engine On the back of an old Bedford for knocking fires out in the tops of trees it was very affective . I have a picture somewhere of us playing cricket against the Conservation and land management Team on rare summer weekend off ,I’m sure you’ll enjoy the same great team spirit we had . Sorry to hear about your mate Take care and good luck

thanks Fus969

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 17/08/20 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by auster
Gary, well done. The perfect response to the fires and to Peter's accident. Kerry

Thank you auster. I very much hope Peter will be able to post here again soon.
I understand he finds it hard to type as the accident makes that process very difficult.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 01/09/20 03:06 AM

January 20th, 2020....

I will be there....

Thankyou britmog.
Australia was very grateful for the support U.S. firefighters provide during the last bush fire season.
COVID will make this a more difficult season but all of us in Oz ask you to stay safe and well.

britmog,I have been watching the fires in your area via TV coverage - Not good
I understand Australia has sent 55 fire fighters over so I hope that is of some help.

Stay safe, all of you

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 10/09/20 08:22 PM

Just watching TV coverage of the fires in California and it looks catastrophic. Stay safe all our U.S. TM'ers

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 17/09/20 07:28 PM

Just watching TV coverage of the fires in California and it looks catastrophic. Stay safe all our U.S. TM'ers

This just seems to go from bad to worse and I'm not sure Trump is helping the situation.
Posted By: Robbie

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 18/09/20 06:44 AM

Just realised why Trump doesn’t wear a mask- wouldn’t help as he only speaks from his backside!!!

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 27/11/20 06:44 PM

January 20th, 2020....

I will be there....

34 degrees in my part of the world yesterday with 39 forecast for today and 41 tomorrow. My Brigade was placed on standby late yesterday afternoon and Sunday will be the first time I have attended a meeting of the Taree Antique & Classic Car Club in full firefighter kit - ready just in case.
It could be game on for the Australian summer

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 28/11/20 08:53 AM

I hope it is not as desperate as last summer was for you!
Have you had a chat to Peter (RubyMorgan) lately?

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 28/11/20 03:35 PM

What do the experts predict for this summer? Not as hot and prone to bush fires as last, I hope.
Good luck over the next couple of months.

OH. a final point: the CO redcardVID virus cannot survive fires.... !! redcard
Posted By: Luddite

Re: Fires in Australia - 28/11/20 04:26 PM

OH. a final point: the COVID virus cannot survive fires.... !!

Peter, for goodness sake, hope Bojo does not follow this forum or he may think a scorched earth policy might be worth trying..!!!! scared

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 29/11/20 07:21 PM

I hope it is not as desperate as last summer was for you!
Have you had a chat to Peter (RubyMorgan) lately?

Graham, you pricked my conscious as I have been meaning to contact Peter (Ruby Morgan) over the last few weeks. When I last spoke to him he indicated he had attempted to get back on to TM but found typing difficult. I tried his phone twice yesterday but got no answer so left a message. I will try him again soon.

Re: Fires in Australia - Continued - 29/11/20 07:33 PM

What do the experts predict for this summer? Not as hot and prone to bush fires as last, I hope.
Good luck over the next couple of months.

OH. a final point: the CO redcardVID virus cannot survive fires.... !! redcard

Peter, the experts have predicted a wetter but more extreme summer season.
Recent rain has promoted good growth in grasslands but that increases the fire risk when it dries out.
My brigade has been called out 3 times in the last 2 days and a home lost in an outlying Sydney suburb.
A fire on Fraser Island in Queensland has been burning out of control for more than 6 weeks while there are 60 fires burning in NSW as of this morning
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News