Talk Morgan

Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution

Posted By: DavidR

Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 12/09/20 04:54 PM

Motorway reduction

So there will be a trial of reduced speeds on some motorways to reduce pollution, the plan is for test 5 mile stretches!
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 12/09/20 05:01 PM

If it's anything like the M5 they will have to speed the traffic up somehow to achieve this trial laugh2
Posted By: Alan Patterson

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 12/09/20 05:22 PM

The link isn't working (missing " : "). Try this one
Motorway Reduction
Posted By: Paul F

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 12/09/20 07:40 PM

They already use the variable speed limit on the M1 to do this in the Sheffield / Doncaster area — most of the time you would be hard pushed to exceed 60 when they apply the lower limit.
Posted By: Image

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 12/09/20 08:02 PM

There have been various 'environmental' speed limits about for a while now to test whether this helps with roadside pollution where houses are close to roads .... not seen any conclusions yet .... how long before some bright spark decides having these littered about the road system to the annoyance and inconvenience of drivers, then making EVs exempt from slowing down (why wouldn't you, not like they produce NO2 at point of use) would be a better way of encouraging EV take-up than any amount of Thunbergian moralising smile

K
Posted By: howard

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 12/09/20 08:39 PM

Trial?? Do you believe that is a trial? Or a try on.

Beyond any doubt the best way to cut pollution short of leccy cars is to cut traffic jams. So you cut pollution by getting rid of cycle lanes and bus lanes not by building them.
Posted By: Grumpy2

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 12/09/20 10:17 PM

In sunny north Wales there’s a stretch between the end of the M56 and joining the A55 which has recently become a long 50mph zone to reduce pollution. The limit starts at the Wales border and runs for about 4 miles into Wales. It runs through industrial areas with water purification, metal recycling and the Toyota engine manufacturing plant. As a large flat plane at the bottom of the Dee estuary it’s usually windy.

How on Earth the reduced pollution is supposed to stay in that area is a mystery.
Posted By: Felix42

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 12/09/20 10:34 PM

We should all drive through the designated areas in 3rd gear!
Posted By: Cat302

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 13/09/20 12:42 AM

Will EV's be exempt from this trial limit ? flyingpig rofl
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 13/09/20 08:48 AM

It simply does not work. If you reduce the speed in heavy traffic zones you get a stop-start column of bunched up traffic at peak periods. The increased traffic density, particularly in stop-start conditions, leads inevitably to increased local pollution.
Posted By: Viper

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 13/09/20 09:09 AM

The beginning of the end.......again.

Massive 30mph zones just been Put in place local to me. Absolute joke. Virtually impossible.

What real benefit will this 60mph zone do when lorries produce 90% of the NOx gassed at 56mph.

Soft target again
Posted By: DavidR

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 13/09/20 09:19 AM

Alan, thanks for the working link.

Round my neck of the woods we have the M25 and it's variable speed limit, more designed I think to keep the carpark moving. Also Richmond-upon-Thames have introduced a blanket 20 mph limit on all the old 30 areas - even A roads in some cases!

As Peter says it just bunches up the local traffic making it hard to exit minor roads and I'm sure adding to and not reducing the pollutants. Covid has also given the excuse to stick up a whole lot more road signs, cycle paths and other assorted "art work".

God save us from politicians.
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 13/09/20 09:47 AM

I know it's a bit of a drift but have you guys noticed a logarithmic change in the numbers of "new" weaving cyclists on the roads at present, it's pretty dire of a Sunday down here on our tiny roads.

Last Sunday I was safely (as I thought) overtaking an old fart and as I pulled parallel with him as we were going uphill he lost drive wobbled and fell into the side of the Fiesta, his pedal left a mark on the front alloy and the bodywork marks polished out.

My worry was if he had dropped off in the front of the car the damage all round would have been a bit more serious.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 13/09/20 09:51 AM

Bl@@dy politicians. They have just introduced a new revision of the rules of the road here in Italy. A move in the right direction is to legislate that the minimum time for an orange(yellow?) traffic light will be 3 seconds. There is however concern that local councils may reduce longer periods to 3 seconds. In the past there were some unscrupulous councils that had shorter times to make money on red-light cameras (one got me in a time it was impossible to stop before crossing the threshold - Very dangerous!)

More controversial is provisions that will allow a lot more speed cameras, to allow electric bikes and even those little electric scooters to use public transport lanes, and to allow bikes to go the wrong way on one-way streets in 30 kph zones (ie. City centres).

Bikes already disobey all the rules so rather than enforce the rules let's change them to allow bicyclists to do whatever they like.
Posted By: sospan

Re: Trial 60 MPH motorway limits to reduce polution - 13/09/20 10:13 AM

Speed management has a double edged impetus. Both the Speed Kills and Eco lobbies put forward arguments that Politicians are too afraid to criticise. Hence the restrictions being introduced.
I wish Planners would do the same!
Our road system has been tinkered with over the years to try and cope with higher volume. It has, inmost cases, been compromises with too narrow a view of impact. New bypass, motorway will attract traffic but the feeder areas are changed to rat runs and congestion hotspots.
The M4 at Port Talbot ,raised section above the houses, has always been a 50 zone due to noise issues raised at concept. It is approached by traffic at 70 which then gets compressed, added to by the stupid slip roads, speed cameras. It was part of my commute and in the evening you would be on stop on it. A bloody motorway designed to bypass the town to aid traffic flow where the norm is being stationary! The zone has been extended West to Llandarcy over the Briton Ferry bridges and average speed cameras replacing the fixed. The slip roads remain. Locals objected to closing them as they wanted to hop on then off to cross town. Effectively using a by pass as a rat run. My evening return commute took at least 30 mins more . 1 hour in morning to 90 mins minimum in evening, that stretch being the cause.
Locally there have been housing projects that feed extra traffic into a solitary, narrow road. Poor traffic lights stopping flow, school runs causing even more congestion. There are more houses being built to add to the problem.even using local knowledge fails at peak times. There is no option to do a major road replacement to ease congestion. During lockdown there was a huge improvement in air pollution as the road was clear.
The solutions that are proposed are paying lip service to the Speed/Eco lobbies whilst penalising the transport sector.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News