Talk Morgan

FBHVC survey results vid.

Posted By: Luddite

FBHVC survey results vid. - 15/01/21 02:21 PM

There was a recent survey carried out by the FBHVC seem to declare that a vehicle thirty years old or older has historic potential. The survey was complied as the result of contributions from all areas involved in the enjoyment maintenance and repair of historic vehicles in the UK.

It seems there have been changes to copying and pasting URLs/ internet address links. I copied the link to the vid and posted it below though it like others now shows up as a line of text. It may take you to the appropriate page if you copy and paste the line of text below in your browsers address bar, you may get there... I hope.

2020 Research Result Headlines | Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (fbhvc.co.uk)

Perhaps the more web aware amongst us can post a simpler form of access.... please..?

Worth watching..?
Posted By: Paul F

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 15/01/21 02:43 PM

Here is the link to the survey FBHVC Survey Results

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 15/01/21 05:33 PM

Good try Paul, but that link takes you too the NEWS page, from which you have to move along the top bar and click on the RESEARCH box , which opens a drop down menu to reveal 2020 SURVEY RESULTS which is in video form once you click on the center of the box on the open page...

Jeez I wonder who changed the copy and paste option and why, it was such a simple sharing option... ooo
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 15/01/21 06:23 PM

George, under the video links using the full reply form here, there is only 4 possible options of video source.
If you follow the FBHVC link from their video to YouTube (where the same video is posted) you can link to that. As below. I don't think anything has changed on the forum for video links.

Posted By: Paul F

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 15/01/21 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Luddite
Good try Paul, but that link takes you too the NEWS page, from which you have to move along the top bar and click on the RESEARCH box , which opens a drop down menu to reveal 2020 SURVEY RESULTS which is in video form once you click on the center of the box on the open page...

Jeez I wonder who changed the copy and paste option and why, it was such a simple sharing option... ooo

Apologies - I thought the bullets at the top of the news release were what you were referring to.

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 01:59 AM

Many thanks for sorting it out Graham, the issue re copy and pasting URLs now not working seems not to be a TM issue, that system can not be used to send urls to others via email these days. I eventually found the SHARE option under YT vids which provides options, but had not seen the a logical(?) option to do so in the FBHVC site... Duh!

Paul no need for apologies, you managed better than did I, THANKS.

Just hope someone finds it worth watching... blush
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 09:26 AM

So this then?...

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/2020-research-result-headlines

It works fine for me with Chrome. I don't believe there has been any change to the way TM works, what browser are you using?
Posted By: sospan

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 09:56 AM

I was on you tube a few days ago and couldn’t find a “copy” option for a short video I wanted to post here in TM. I am wondering if that copy facility has been removed. I’ll see if I can find other ways. I didn’t have time back then so there may be a share method to get the url to use.
TM image method works fine for photos though. No change there.

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 10:09 AM

I have noticed recently that when one of my contacts sends me links by email it appears as the page name rather than the URL. e.g.

(1) How big is the historic vehicle scene? The 2020 FBHVC National Survey Results are in!
rather than
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sIsijBEuGY

I don't know how it works but it must be a feature of his system, I believe he uses Microsoft Edge and Outlook Mail.

Looking at his original post, I think Luddite is getting the same effect. Clearly it works for email but not when posting into a forum.

Posted By: Hamwich

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ian Wegg
I have noticed recently that when one of my contacts sends me links by email the link appears as the page name rather than the URL. e.g.

(1) How big is the historic vehicle scene? The 2020 FBHVC National Survey Results are in!
rather than
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sIsijBEuGY

I don't know how it works but it must be a feature of his system. Looking at the original post, I think Luddite has the same setup. Clearly it works for email but not when posting into a forum.

Isn't it because the html tag is fully formed by using the 'Insert Link' button in the full editor? If you just paste a raw url into a message you get the second of your examples, but if you use the Insert Link option you have the opportunity to add a description. It's like creating a proper <a href> tag in html.

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 12:52 PM

Using the "insert link" button is how I produced my example. Luddite's problem is that his link has been posted as the page name not the URL. If you look at his original post, what he pasted as a link appears as "2020 Research Result Headlines | Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs", which is exactly the text of the page name. As I said - I have seen this behaviour in emails, where the sender has merely copied and pasted a URL. There is some browser out there that seems to be attempting to form HTML friendly links from just the copy and paste function but it is not helpful here.

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 12:54 PM

Thanks for taking time to contemplate the why`s and wherefore`s of this alteration, but as with all things digital we may never get to know WHY..?

T`would seem that there is some sort of auto conversion process when attempting to copy and paste URLs..? In terms of YT If I copy the URL from the address bar and try to paste it in my own email system or elsewhere it then displays as the line of text.

If I utilise the YT share function displayed in an arrow icon below the YT vid, it then opens a box which then amongst the many options provided to share the vid to different media forms, also provides an option to copy the URL, which can then be pasted in the normal manner and thus sent by email or pasted in a forum, and allows end users to click on it and arrive at the intended page... banghead
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 12:57 PM

If I utilise the YT share function displayed in an arrow icon below the YT vid.....:

I just copy and paste the URL from the browser's address bar usually.

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 12:58 PM

Luddite: Could you tell us what browser you are using (Edge, Chrome, Firefox)?

Jon: That is what I believe Luddite is attempting but is broken. Seems to be some sort of (not so) smart change.
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Wegg
Luddite: Could you tell us what browser you are using (Edge, Chrome, Firefox)?

Jon: That is what I believe Luddite is attempting but is broken. Seems to be some sort of (not so) smart change.

thumbs

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 01:27 PM

Ian, my browser is currently Mozilla Thunderbird, though it seems you may have similar issues.

John, your process is exactly the one I have used for years, just that something somewhere has altered, and is one of the reasons I tend to avoid up-dating automatically, which ever creates change, being an old duffer change or the reason behind it, is ever regarded with suspicion... smile
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 01:43 PM

... change or the reason behind it, is ever regarded with suspicion... smile

I can quite easily go with that!!
Supermarkets are just the same - moving things around just as one gets used to being able to find things with ease! banghead

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 02:50 PM

@Luddite: Thunderbird is an email client. I strongly suspect that you are using Microsoft Edge as your browser, in which case you are probably seeing the "benefit" of its new feature:

Improved copy and paste of URLs in Microsoft Edge

...with "improved" being a subjective description. If I'm correct, you may find this link useful:

How to disable Edge’s new URL copy and paste feature

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 03:15 PM

Thanks Ian, I ever use the computer as just a tool to perform the basic tasks I require of it and am neither interested or enthralled by it`s increase in capacity to do ever more, thus I do not explore it`s many available functions, I have enough of a challenge to remember my passwords...Sigh!

You are correct in determining that MS Edge is my browser...Thanks also for providing access to a work around, which I may or may not make use of now that I have found an alternative means of achieving a similar outcome...

This thread has deviated in true TM fashion, pity the survey has received next to no interest, which leads me to suspect most TM types are driving newer Morgans, which seems some way different from my time on eMog.. confused2
Posted By: TBM

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 16/01/21 03:32 PM

As an owner, user and maintainer of a several technically 'Historic' vehicles including my Mog, I did watch the video, but it was just a bunch of stats, and nothing really the piqued my interest.

Re: FBHVC survey results vid. - 17/01/21 07:44 AM

I had a look at the other work around that Ian posted and it is not as convoluted as I had expected, adding more steps to be remembered to perform what was a simple task ever greatly frustrates... Thanks again Ian for taking the time to help this Luddite get up to speed, much appreciated.. thumbs

TBM, I guess the vid is all about stats, some folk find interest in such data, that is why I tried to post it.

Graham, the least likely place to find my happy face would be in a supermarket.... frown
© 2021 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News