Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 01:59 AM

A nice varied field here on Saturday
And an ansome day with 6hrs action .

Posted By: Richard - Aus

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 06:54 AM

Looks like a great day out.
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 07:31 AM

Yes it was full on with two +4's one of which was an early flatrad and a 4/4 - they all cleared the stage.

Tea and or farm made cakes or Oggie dispensed from the tearoom at the top of the hill - closely disguised as a horsebox.

Great atmosphere full of like minded enthusiasts, mostly serious bikers.
Posted By: lopesd

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 07:54 AM

You know i see photos like this and i just cringe, i would never take my morgan on something like this, so much mud, stones and potential for damadge. Those drivers are brave.

Recently i saw a half clad female model lying in a provocative manner across the bonnet of a morgan. The proper response to that would of course to be ogle the model but the only thought that went through my head was i hope she doesnt scratch the paint work. Sometimes i wonder if i have my priorities right !,
Posted By: GerryWal

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 08:36 AM

Great pics thanks, lovely Greeves (always lusted after these in my youth). Saw a similar one, with a chair, at Snetterton a couple of years ago.
Gerry

Attached File
IMG_4280.JPG  (364 downloads)
Posted By: Jays

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 08:49 AM

Great pics Richard. I'd love to have a go but not in my Morgan. I can't see how a Morgan can be competative with such low ground clearance.

Is it my imagination or does the hood on that Morgan show some chassis flex??!!!
Posted By: GerryWal

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 09:00 AM

I think the front bumper has been 'flexed' too!
Posted By: Moss

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 09:11 AM

Great pics. Love the Greeves too!
Posted By: Hook

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 09:15 AM

Brilliant!
Posted By: lightsphere

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 11:21 AM

Some great action, but wouldn't take mine there.

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By GerryWal
Great pics thanks, lovely Greeves (always lusted after these in my youth). Saw a similar one, with a chair, at Snetterton a couple of years ago.
Gerry

That's a lovely chair job there and pristine thanks.

I have a few more pictures to put on including 2 X Tiger Cub Scramblers.
Posted By: Neilda

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By lopesd
You know i see photos like this and i just cringe, i would never take my morgan on something like this, so much mud, stones and potential for damadge. Those drivers are brave.

Recently i saw a half clad female model lying in a provocative manner across the bonnet of a morgan. The proper response to that would of course to be ogle the model but the only thought that went through my head was i hope she doesnt scratch the paint work. Sometimes i wonder if i have my priorities right !,

Don't worry..... You're not alone in your thinking!
Posted By: Jim Mountain

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 02:31 PM

Did you get any pics of the real Simms hill? Maybe a blue E30 BMW with silver stripe on the bonnet?

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 02:33 PM

You know i see photos like this and i just cringe, i would never take my morgan on something like this, so much mud, stones and potential for damadge. Those drivers are brave

That's what's sports cars are made for, doing motor sport in ! somestick drive
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 03:28 PM

You know i see photos like this and i just cringe, i would never take my morgan on something like this, so much mud, stones and potential for damadge. Those drivers are brave

I think I would but not with my Plus 4. I would want to set up a car specifically, a bit like someone setting up a rally car.

I think I'm safe though, I don't think I can afford another car and I don't think that sort of trial exists in Italy.

Looks like fun. Reminds me of when I used to thrash my Datsun 1200 through the Northern NSW forests.

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By Jim Mountain
Did you get any pics of the real Simms hill? Maybe a blue E30 BMW with silver stripe on the bonnet?

Possibly, got a good shot of a couple of brothers(David & Chris Wall) in a Dellow Mk1 cleaning Simms proper. Surprising the amount of old Dubs that made it - mind engine in the rightplace with large passenger + a couple of spare wheels and 5psi in the tyres probably helps.
The only FWD I was aware of to clean the Simms was a Pug 205 with something pretty tasty under the bonnet by the sounds of it.

Will post a few more pics when I get a minute.

These brothers just willed it all the way on Simms proper - to tremendous encouragement and applause it was a pleasure to be amongst so many like minded total enthusiasts

Just loving the B&Q louvres on here - needs must and cost effective respect.

Another Kafer

Posted By: A11OGE

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 06:08 PM

we worry about you somestick
Posted By: A11OGE

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By 4/4sportsfun
[i][b]And an ansome day with 6hrs action ....

good action shots. I was invited to watch the start from Popham airfield, but was visiting Mother-in-law in hospital instead, but will pencil in for next year.

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 06:50 PM

Added a few more shots of the Trial.

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 07:40 PM

thumbs Not a tin of polish in sight Jim laugh2 laugh2

My Sport is 3 1/2 years old (19,700mls) and I might treat her to her second polish this year if I can drag myself away from the steering wheel or oily bits for long enough.

Well I larfed !

A little sunrise shot on Dartmoor to close the day

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 08:13 PM

My Sport is 3 1/2 years old (19,700mls) and I might treat her to her second polish this year if I can drag myself away from the steering wheel or oily bits for long enough.

was it the green one with painted wires in the village before the start of the section? looked pretty polished to me hide

still no pics of me in the BMW carrot

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By Jays
Great pics Richard. I'd love to have a go but not in my Morgan. I can't see how a Morgan can be competative with such low ground clearance. Jays in 1937 a flatrad won a premier award at the famous Bluehill s Mine stage during the Lands End Trial.
HFS himself took part in the 1937 London to Edinburgh Trial in the prototype 4/4 DHC - "as a travelling marshal to deter over-enthusiastic drivers from bringing the sport into ill-repute".

They have enjoyed lots of success for many years both Peter and Charles have taken part in these serious trials.
One can only assume they must have some skid type arrangement protecting the dangly bits.

Is it my imagination or does the hood on that Morgan show some chassis flex??!!!

I think this car has maybe been bounced at a stage left and or right maybe in a gulley cos it sure looks a bit out of kilter on the exit of Simms O course.
Posted By: WR142LL

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 08:20 PM

[quote=4/4sportsfun
My Sport is 3 1/2 years old (19,700mls) and I might treat her to her second polish this year . . . /quote]

Yeah Richard, but the year is only 6 days old... hide

Great pics.

Cheers

Jeremy

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 08:21 PM

was it the green one with painted wires in the village before the start of the section? looked pretty polished to me hide

still no pics of me in the BMW carrot

No mine was the Red (Devon Earth) and Sport Green one just left of your exit of the stage.
Must have been having a cup of tea when you ran - are you in the Lands End - I'll be at Bluehills and promise to try harder goodnight

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 08:28 PM

Nice one Jeremy -it's all in the interpretation as ever laugh2

Have you been away it's been quiet read

Just a little shot for Henrietta from Scoriton from her brother Henry at 0815 New Years Day. love

Have a good New Year all 3 of you.
Posted By: Richard - Aus

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 06/01/13 10:03 PM

Love the sunrise photo

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 07/01/13 08:42 PM

Just a little shot for Henrietta from Scoriton from her brother Henry at 0815 New Years Day. love

Indeed so Richard! I've got to get serious about polishing for once (in 30 years of driving), as I've been accepted into the Cheltenham Rotary's Classic Car event at Prescott on May 12th. Henrietta still aint gonna shine like DaveW's machine, but I'll have to polish inside AND out at the same time!!

Thanks for the pic of Henry : 08:15 NYD I was driving the "Hereford" (Hereford-Paddington HST) near Oxford and saw some sunshine, so it was a quick peel of the roof and a topless dash home. Unfortunately my camera has decided to eat its own display, so no reciprocal pic is available frown

I've put CR6 ZZ's on the rear axle, btw, and the grip is phenominal BUT of course we havent had any cold weather yet. 4 1/2 months of ownership and 5,000 miles on the clock (33,500 in total).

Hope to bump into you and some of the TM'ers during 2013.

Cheers

Jeremy
Posted By: Jays

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 07/01/13 09:11 PM

Look forward to seeing you at Prescott Jeremy!

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 07/01/13 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By Jays
Look forward to seeing you at Prescott Jeremy!

Bring a polishing cloth !! rofl

Cheers

Jeremy

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 08/01/13 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By WR142LL

Indeed so Richard! I've got to get serious about polishing for once (in 30 years of driving), as I've been accepted into the Cheltenham Rotary's Classic Car event at Prescott on May 12th. Henrietta still aint gonna shine like DaveW's machine, but I'll have to polish inside AND out at the same time!!

Thanks for the pic of Henry : 08:15 NYD I was driving the "Hereford" (Hereford-Paddington HST) near Oxford and saw some sunshine, so it was a quick peel of the roof and a topless dash home. Unfortunately my camera has decided to eat its own display, so no reciprocal pic is available frown

I've put CR6 ZZ's on the rear axle, btw, and the grip is phenominal BUT of course we havent had any cold weather yet. 4 1/2 months of ownership and 5,000 miles on the clock (33,500 in total).

Hope to bump into you and some of the TM'ers during 2013.

Cheers

Jeremy

Well done Jeremy on acceptance to the competition - sounds like a lot of elbow grease required - or maybe you HST boys have sealed for life joints now laugh2
Let me know what you think of this polishing malarky.

Those tyres sound good it will be good to hear your feedback if and when it cools down and/or snows.

Looking forward to meeting a few TM'ers this year also, wouldn't object too strongly to a lunch in The Blue Bowl Inn, West Harptree either anytime, I'm imagining it not to be a million miles away from you at BS40 6HJ.
I overnighted here on business a couple of years ago and thought the Ale and food were good quality and value. I'd like to have a look see at Great Britain in Bristol this year as well sometime.

Pleased to hear someone saw the sunshine, not so pleased to hear the camera digesting itself though.

Enjoy your (s)miles woohoo on or off track.

Regards

p.s. Henry and I setting off for London village shortly with a heavy heart to bid a final farewell to a very dear ex boss and colleague. It's a couple of nights at the Union Jack Club near Waterloo as people have flown in from afar to see Jim on his final journey GRHS.

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 08/01/13 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By A11OGE
[i][b]And an ansome day with 6hrs action ....

good action shots. I was invited to watch the start from Popham airfield, but was visiting Mother-in-law in hospital instead, but will pencil in for next year.

Sorry to hear the reason for you having to miss the Popham action - as you say next year to look forward to and or maybe try a bit of the Lands End Trial 29th-30th March.
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 08/01/13 06:54 AM

Blue Bowl - haven't been in there since the '70s...

Jeremy, nice one on the Rotary club entry. I will see you there (or watch you drive past from my marshal's post - if that is the case, I should be near the Club Office at lunchtime).

Cheers,
Posted By: John V6

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 08/01/13 07:09 AM

I took my son back to Exeter Uni on Sat and saw many of the cars post the event heading north on the A38/M5
Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 30/12/14 05:20 PM

Resurrecting this thread to let everyone know It's Exeter Trial time again shortly. January 9/10 in fact.

I'm aiming to head down for some hot mud action, but only as a spectator; my trailing days are long gone now. My old Midget got sold on, the BMW/Wasp outfit nearly killed my passenger when she bailed out after a re-start in the dark (she tells it differently..) and the chassis of the 2CV broke in two on Exmoor at 2am.

Still love that pure enthusiasm, though.

Anyone else going..?
Posted By: PaulJ

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 30/12/14 06:49 PM

I should know Steve, living close by, but where are the sections, as well as start and finish? Is there a web site with all the vantage points on?

I went to a very wet and muddy hillclimb at Pentillie in Cornwall a couple of years ago, and the carpark exit was at the top of a slippery slope, which only Land Rover Defenders were getting up, so, as you do, I thought it would be a challenge for the Three Wheeler. We cleaned it. I was really chuffed, as you can imagine, whether it was down to driver skill or just a really torquey motor or both I still do not know.

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 30/12/14 07:49 PM

Everything you need to know is on here boys and girls :- http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/events/exeter.htm
Posted By: PaulJ

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 30/12/14 11:00 PM

Excellent, many thanks - it looks good.

Re: Exeter trial "Simms" - 31/12/14 07:15 PM

""Still love that pure enthusiasm, though.

Anyone else going..? ""

I'm thinking of getting a late pass and going along I did enjoy the "open air manshed" the pure adrenalin charging around on or in or hanging out of some extraordinary and priceless equipment. woohoo thumbs
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News