Talk Morgan

Monte Carlo Historique 2019

Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 04:06 PM

I wasn't going to stick these up, but the detractors win then, so I will.

Met up with Wirewheeled Ian yesterday, over at Banbury for cars, coffee & a bacon bap.. It was the rest halt for these guys:

They'd set off from Glasgow the night before in some really cold & harsh weather, and had a rest at Banbury en-route to the channel.

Banbury town really pulls the stops out for the event, and several town dignitaries were there, including the mayor. They'd laid on some street food stalls and invited the local motor clubs down to display their cars in the market place for the day. Loud speakers, live music (the baritone guy was pretty good, too) and some commentary added to the atmosphere. Oh, and it was ruddy cold..!!

Some parked cars:

Who doesn't love a rally Mini.. Love it.

Some had less wheels than the rest..

Ian & I voted this Car of the Day..

And for a bit of fun..

Posted By: BobtheTrain

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By Stringers Best Mate

Fewer.

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 04:17 PM

I fell in love with this gem, too.. Just look at that filler cap. Mahoosive..!!

Some competitors..

Blue Diamond Services from Bicester Heritage are competing and have got a team of six entered this year, and had a pop up gazebo to sort a few issues. Cracking outfit, so next time you're at a Scramble, pop in.. They love it.

The mayor ran around with the event flag having his photo taken for all the PR stuff, and waved them off the ramp at minute intervals.

In fairness, I ought to add that the smoke was from two jets at the side of the stage & not the engines..!!

Loved this bad boy, too..

Looking hawkish.. (see what I did there..? It's a Kestrel.. I don't get paid for this, y'know..)

Finally, The Tortoise. These gents raise an awful lot of money for charity by campaigning this car is many events. Good luck to them.

So there you go. Some mid winter motoring mayhem & a brilliant day out.

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By BobtheTrain

Fewer.

Some had fewer less than the rest..

Maybe..

laugh2
Posted By: BobtheTrain

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 04:20 PM

Fewer.

Some had fewer less than the rest..

Maybe..

laugh2

I never thought of that!
Posted By: Rob Thornton

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 04:40 PM

Great photo selection Steve. I mentioned in another post that I was there too and will post a few photos when I have reduced the file size.
Very envious of the Lagonda and Alvis but found the Berkleys very interesting too. Talking to one of the owners I discovered that they had a power to weight ration identical to an XK120 and could race them competitively, had monocoque construction in 1956, were front wheel drive and weighed only 6cwt. Miles ahead of their time.
I understand that many of the competitors in the rally itself were directed straight to Dover because of the impending weather conditions. I noticed that one of the the entrants in that group was a Plus 8.
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 04:47 PM

Great, thanks for sharing Steve.
You're right about rally Minis grin2
Posted By: aerotaff

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 05:16 PM

Great photo's Steve, I like a matt black bonnet makes the car go quicker well known fact.

Em
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 07:43 PM

Thanks for sharing the photos Steve, and yes I dooo love a Mini

I'll be fettling mine tomorrow, 60th anniversary this year !

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By Rob Thornton
Great photo selection Steve. I mentioned in another post that I was there too and will post a few photos when I have reduced the file size.
Very envious of the Lagonda and Alvis but found the Berkleys very interesting too. Talking to one of the owners I discovered that they had a power to weight ration identical to an XK120 and could race them competitively, had monocoque construction in 1956, were front wheel drive and weighed only 6cwt. Miles ahead of their time.
I understand that many of the competitors in the rally itself were directed straight to Dover because of the impending weather conditions. I noticed that one of the the entrants in that group was a Plus 8.

I didn't pick up on that news, Rob. I overheard one driver telling the commentator that the M25 was closed clockwise, though.

Yes, would be good for a meet up next January..!!
Posted By: Paul F

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 08:19 PM

Many thanks for posting these - really appreciated. Wonderful selection of cars.
Posted By: auster

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 08:21 PM

That's terrific! The cars, the idea of setting out on such a mad run in such appalling weather! Never hesitate to post stuff like this as it helps the rest of us to survive the winter. I love the Kestrel.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 01/02/19 09:16 PM

I do love the Austin 2200 Land crab in it's butched up guise. It looks like it is about to get a part in a future CAR's film.
Posted By: Georgetoad

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 02/02/19 01:55 AM

Love the Austin A40. I learnt to drive on the family hack but it wasnt dressed up to rally. But it did pretty good on the roundabouts.
Posted By: aerotaff

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 02/02/19 08:26 AM

The Landcrab really does look good in full rally spec we used to have them in the Army as staff cars they seemed very big at the time but when you see one now they look shrunk to austin 1300 size if you know what i mean.

Em
Posted By: lowebird

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 02/02/19 01:43 PM

Fewer.

DAM, you were quicker than I
Posted By: Northernmorgan

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 03/02/19 01:07 PM

Great photos Steve. Wish sometimes I wasn’t at the top end of the dreaded M6! Love that Riley 🤓
Posted By: sospan

Re: Monte Carlo Historique 2019 - 03/02/19 05:25 PM

Ray and myself called in at Chepstow racecours a couple of years ago, on route to Williams open day.
The Hero rally were there using it as a stage. Doing short timed trials on a course in the carpark and another round the access roads. The cars were being driven competitivelytoo.
Some lovely cars there.
I really like the historics events.
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News