Talk Morgan

Rolls Royce Cullinan

Posted By: MJF

Rolls Royce Cullinan - 17/06/19 08:46 PM

Over the weekend I came out of a restaurant at night and spotted a black cab so stepped out to wave it down - only to realise it was a Rolls Royce Cullinan.

Based on the owners gestures he clearly wasn't amused, but what were Rolls Royce thinking of launching a car that looks so similar to a black cab.

It would be a bit ironic if Geely, the Chinese maker of the black cabs took Rolls Royce to court for producing a copycat vehicle.
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 17/06/19 09:05 PM

Thank you, I really enjoyed that laugh2
Posted By: flyfisher

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 17/06/19 10:32 PM

I thought that night tonight when I saw one behind a new electric black cab in Knightsbridge.. same door handle style and body shape, the cab just needs to be higher and a rolls grill
Posted By: Neilda

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 18/06/19 04:49 AM

I've driven the Cullinan and honestly cannot see where the value is.

It looks like the design project of a 9 year old. Totally unusable as you could not drive it anywhere without looking an utter cock.

If you want a Range Rover - buy a Range Rover.
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 18/06/19 11:35 AM

It’s amazing how super expensive big SUV’s outsell their lower sportier siblings

The Porsche Cayenne outsells every other Porsche model put together

I personally don’t get it.

The Bentley one looks like a black cab as well
The Cayenne looks a bit numb and early versions looked like a duck billed platypus

The only one that I think has made a decent job of styling is the new Lamborghini Anus although I wouldn’t drive one. ooo
Posted By: Peter J

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 18/06/19 11:54 AM

These care style icons for those in other countries who want to conspicuously display their wealth. They may look like a SUV, have good off-road credentials and be well made, but in my view they are luxurious busses.

We are not their target market because we enjoy driving and understand cars. But we should not dismiss them as without the revenue they generate their manufacturers may not survive.
Posted By: pandy

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 18/06/19 12:06 PM

Originally Posted By Stewart S

The only one that I think has made a decent job of styling is the new Lamborghini Anus although I wouldn’t drive one. ooo

laugh2

Only an arse would drive one.
Posted By: Heinz

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 18/06/19 12:11 PM

https://sniffpetrol.com/2015/05/29/lamborghini-confirms-anus/

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 18/06/19 12:30 PM

Great find Heinz rofl rofl
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 18/06/19 01:06 PM

The Cayenne looks a bit numb and early versions...

What one of my Prescott colleagues (a Carrera 4S owner), an occasional competitor, mainly Clerk of Course calls a "numbtruck" grin2
Our local Porsche Centre normally lends us 3 vehicles to act as course cars - the extra space in these SUVs comes in handy for carting broken bits back down the hill smile
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 18/06/19 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By MJF
Over the weekend I came out of a restaurant at night and spotted a black cab so stepped out to wave it down - only to realise it was a Rolls Royce Cullinan.

Based on the owners gestures he clearly wasn't amused, but what were Rolls Royce thinking of launching a car that looks so similar to a black cab.

It would be a bit ironic if Geely, the Chinese maker of the black cabs took Rolls Royce to court for producing a copycat vehicle.

Or Ford for the Transit Van. Its part way there, RR Cullivan.
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 18/06/19 01:27 PM

In the end, it's down to the simple fact that wealth doesn't automatically mean good taste....in anything.

The documentary about RR selling in the Middle East was an expose of ultimate excess.

Oh and these people are not interested in climate change because they are special. And I'm no green warrior either, but we have a relatively small effect compared to others, without trying.
Posted By: Stephen888

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 18/06/19 04:02 PM

Saw one, my first in St Petersburg a couple of weeks ago. Two tone with blacked out windows. Lovely !! Plus at least 15 Maybachs.
Posted By: Budster

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 18/06/19 05:38 PM

Having not seen one on the road, I just checked out the pictures.
Google show a white one. Now that does look like a delivery van.

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 19/06/19 01:17 PM

Chris Harris has the measure of it....

https://youtu.be/WpdFOk8h-EA
Posted By: MDS61

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 19/06/19 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By Peter J

Top review that - Chris Harris - telling you how it is.....

"This proves that the richest people in the world have no taste" - class!

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 19/06/19 06:13 PM

Thanks for posting the link
Very entertaining
Having had three SUV’s (2 Merc M classes and the BMW X1) I totally agree with Chris in that I much prefer driving a lower large estate car
Posted By: Mkiss

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 19/06/19 09:31 PM

The same for me - I do the world a favour by not driving SUVs...
Posted By: pandy

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 19/06/19 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By Neilda

I totally agree with you Neil. Can't see the point of any of the others.

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 19/06/19 10:42 PM

He sums it up well, I only hope the tasteless oligarchs from every nation continue buying these the Bentley and Range Rover equivalents post Brexit, we are going to need all the sales possible no matter how tasteless the product.
Posted By: waikiore

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 06:02 AM

He is dead right on my fifth estate car (known as station wagons here) And they have a lot more boot space than even huge SUV's
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 06:45 AM

I've been banging on about the virtues of estate cars for the last couple of years. There are some really nice examples around; Mazda and Mercedes, for instance, seem to have some particularly nice looking models but there are many others, all eminently more practical than an SUV barge.

With every new hideous SUV that is launched, I harbour the hope that it will signal the end of the trend. So far I've been disappointed and sadly I don't suppose this latest vulgar monstrosity from RR will turn the tide either.

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 07:58 AM

Chris Harris "gets" Morgan, there is a wonderful post on You Tube of his drive to Geneva in a Plus 8 in the rain...

https://youtu.be/ZFvd9DVt9-I

So no surprise he isn't a SUV fan...
I do hope MMC done think about an SUV... nono
Posted By: N22MOG

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 08:00 AM

Oh good, more SUV “bashing”.
Why do people feel the need to slag off a particular style of vehicle just because they don’t appeal to them? I don’t like motorbikes but I know loads of TMers do so I wouldn’t criticise them on here. There are even people who don’t like Morgans you know, but they obviously have no taste, eh? 😏

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 08:54 AM

Originally Posted By pandy

I totally agree with you Neil. Can't see the point of any of the others.

I have had a Range Rover for years - it's an ideal car... great off road (I shoot) and ideal in awful weather (I live in the UK). I can pack it full of rubbish and, when clean, it looks perfectly at home in Mayfair. smile

It costs less to tax and insure than my Morgan.
Posted By: MJF

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 09:16 AM

If I only had space for one car - I would keep my Range Rover over anything else as it offers less compromises for what I need a car to do than any other car I have owned.

The SUV bashing on this forum does make me laugh - do you really all drive so fast that the better handling and aerodynamics of an estate make that much difference to your every day life ?

Perhaps I am just getting old, but I can't think of a single good quality estate that has any form of ride quality what so ever, which just makes driving any distance (which I do a lot of) very wearing.
Posted By: Budster

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 10:18 AM

On a more humble note; I am looking at possibly changing my post retirement purchase, a 2014 Citroen DS3 Cabrio.
It has been a fantastic; enough power, good handling, comfortable and quiet.
I have a few ideas on what I might buy, but (to date) none have been as much fun, or as comfortable.
Volvo V40?
Another Citroen?
Peugeot 3008?

So far, I’ve ruled out most German and Japanese models, mainly because (in comparison with the DS3) the front seats are like sitting on a park bench!
Any suggestions?

ps decided against the Cullinan! It wouldn’t fit my garage.
innocent

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 10:19 AM

Not being an SUV lover I have to confess to hankering after one of these for quite a while but I couldn't justify it's usage TBH. Plus they are a bit of a silly price nowadays.

Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 10:23 AM

I used to own an early 4 door.
In many ways wish I still had it, but at the time we needed the additional space of the 127" so it went.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 10:50 AM

It just screams cool retro.

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By Budster
On a more humble note; I am looking at possibly changing my post retirement purchase, a 2014 Citroen DS3 Cabrio.
It has been a fantastic; enough power, good handling, comfortable and quiet.
I have a few ideas on what I might buy, but (to date) none have been as much fun, or as comfortable.
Volvo V40?
Another Citroen?
Peugeot 3008?

So far, I’ve ruled out most German and Japanese models, mainly because (in comparison with the DS3) the front seats are like sitting on a park bench!
Any suggestions?

ps decided against the Cullinan! It wouldn’t fit my garage.
innocent

Citroen DS21
Posted By: 60Yards

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By MJF
Perhaps I am just getting old, but I can't think of a single good quality estate that has any form of ride quality what so ever, which just makes driving any distance (which I do a lot of) very wearing.

My Daily drive is a BMW 535D Touring Xdrive, which (to me) ticks all the boxes I could possibly imagine. Comfortable, safe, QUICK, spacey enough, ideal for skiing holidays.
It just does everything too effortlessly.
Therefore, I need a Morgan for fun. smile

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By MJF
If I only had space for one car - I would keep my Range Rover over anything else as it offers less compromises for what I need a car to do than any other car I have owned.

The SUV bashing on this forum does make me laugh - do you really all drive so fast that the better handling and aerodynamics of an estate make that much difference to your every day life ?

SUV's? Big and unwieldy. Undeserving of the "S". Rarely much bigger on the inside. Harder to park. Compromised ride...…….is my experience of riding in a selection over the years.

Some can corner with electronic aids, sure, but that adds weight and like Heathrows extension, laughable in todays world of climate change.

But the SUV is the vehicle of choice without a doubt. And it excels on the school run and the supermarket visit, neither of which seem to have big enough spaces to park.

As you can see, I wouldn't touch one with a long stick...….
They just don't do it for me at all.

If I had to live with one car, right now it would be our Polo GTI
grin2

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 02:12 PM

I don’t think I’m bashing SUV’s

I had three and quite enjoyed them when I had them but now much prefer my 5 series Msport Touring. I’m in to my second one in 4 years

No body roll, limpet grip, super comfy, perfectly balanced and effortless to drive plus lots of load space

I’ve driven my friends X6 quite a bit and it’s definitely more tiring driving around country lanes with just that bit of extra body movement and higher centre of gravity
Posted By: twotribes

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 02:40 PM

I don’t think I’m bashing SUV’s

I had three and quite enjoyed them when I had them but now much prefer my 5 series Msport Touring. I’m in to my second one in 4 years

No body roll, limpet grip, super comfy, perfectly balanced and effortless to drive plus lots of load space

I’ve driven my friends X6 quite a bit and it’s definitely more tiring driving around country lanes with just that bit of extra body movement and higher centre of gravity

Gosh, how fast are you driving on those country lanes when the difference in roll-centre between a 5 Touring and an X6 is enough to make the X6 more tiring? hide

The 'dynamics' argument against SUVs makes me laugh - unless you rag a modern SUV beyond 8/10ths (in which case the issue is behind the wheel, not the car itself) the handling is largely indistinguishable from a large estate car.

Conversely, I find that the higher eyeline of an SUV allows views over hedges and through corners and is a much more relaxing (and probably safer) way to tackle the country lane access to our property. Granted, I probably don't drive any of my cars the same way as a typical X6 driver. smile

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 03:27 PM

I disagree Stuart

There is a marked different in driving dynamics between my 5 series and an X6 where your body is trying to compensate for the increased body roll. I’m sure you get used to it and don’t notice it after a while

But coming from my car, I notice it straight away and you can feel the roll stabilisation suspension system catching up to compensate for movement on both axis. Sometimes it feels to overcompensate giving a strange sensation mainly accelerating out of corners or on cambers. It is much better than my Merc M classes of a few years ago but it’s still way more tiring over long journeys and bendy roads

Although I don’t drive anything very sedately

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 05:16 PM

Crikey this is straight win for the estate car every time?

Owners of SUV's - have to justify them. To own a estate car I don't think you have to.... grin2
Posted By: SFG

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 06:28 PM

SUV. Two sets of golf clubs, two electric trolleys, two small suitcases, no crouching under the tailgate when loading, super-comfortable ride, and you can still see out of the back.
Oh, and no-one minds if you park across two spaces.
Posted By: BertR

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 07:17 PM

Super
Ugly
Vehicle

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By BertR
Super
Ugly
Vehicle

rofl

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 07:50 PM

Despite having a supercharged V8 engine, I would hesitate to call my Range Rover a 'sports' utility vehicle. It's quick for something the size of a small library, but it's not a sports car. It's a big 4x4 that does everything very capably.

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 08:38 PM

Despite having a supercharged V8 engine, I would hesitate to call my Range Rover a 'sports' utility vehicle. It's quick for something the size of a small library, but it's not a sports car. It's a big 4x4 that does everything very capably.

I'm not totally sure why but I still don't see the Range Rover proper (not the squashed ones) as an SUV to me they are a stylish 4x4 and that has not changed somehow. I have no use for one but would not hesitate in owning one they exude a certain class too unlike any others to me.
We have shedloads of them down here and a couple of the Bentley versions which really do look like a pimps car.

You and MJF clearly have the need and put yours to good use and I think you still have youngsters needing ferrying around with their kit.
Posted By: Mkiss

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 20/06/19 09:37 PM

We are kind of mixing up a couple of things...

Looking at the Cullinan and this size of SUVs we don`t have to think about practical sense - do we?

For the smaller sizes it does matter, what you try to do with these cars? The boot of the estate versions is bigger most of the time when compared to their direct competition mopdel SUVs. Higher mpg and better aerodynamics come with it.

For the small path to the cottage I have to be honest to myself as I can do it as good with the mog as my grandparents did with the Beetle.

We did not mention vans yet. Don`t know what I would have done with three kids without a van. VW Caddy Maxi and the Microbus California. Really good years to remember!

And perfect combination with a roadster, because no matter how you organise. There can`t be more than two on the one side;)

Running a van a roadster is more than welcome on the other side.

Posted By: Oakvillian

Re: Rolls Royce Cullinan - 21/06/19 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By Mkiss

We did not mention vans yet. Don`t know what I would have done with three kids without a van. VW Caddy Maxi and the Microbus California. Really good years to remember!

Ah yes. The minivan. I have a long-lasting friendly debate with my brother-in-law on this subject. We both live in suburban sprawlville, your typical 2.4-kid household; neither of us is in the habit of driving through rivers or over mountains. He has had a succession of SUVs, currently he drives a Chevy Equinox. It's a capable enough vehicle, but for the size of the thing is really not very spacious on the inside. Previously he had a Honda Pilot, which is built on the same floorpan as my Odyssey.

There's no doubt that the minivan provides vastly more versatile and useful interior space. In my opinion - and this is absolutely a personal preference) the driving position and dynamics are better in the van, and the fuel economy is better too.

I am now the slightly reluctant owner of two minivans - I'm on my second Honda Odyssey (the first, at only 11 years and 200,000km, was barely run-in but it wasn't economical to adapt the seating for a disabled passenger in a car of that age) and its stablemate is a Mazda5. I bought the 5 to replace a point-and-squirt hatchback I used for commuting: my sole purchasing criterion was that I wanted the smallest vehicle I could find that had a sliding rear passenger door. I'm not a huge fan of the Mazda - it was a run-out model in the Canadian market as (though they're still made) they're no longer imported here - it's a lot more tinny than the Honda, and is noticeably harder on its tyres, too. But it suits my needs extremely well, being big enough to carry a handful of people, a dog and a wheelchair and small enough to park easily in the tight spaces behind my office.

I cannot see a circumstance where I would choose to own an SUV of any kind, but they are absolutely everywhere and there are obviously enough folks who can see the advantages that I plainly cannot, since they sell so well.

Which brings us back to the topic of the post, with Rolls jumping on the bandwagon: I saw a Cullinan on the road here just a couple of days ago (supplied by Rolls Royce Motor Cars of Quebec, the licence plate holder said) and I must say that, approaching it from the back, my first thought was that somebody had imported a new London Taxi before I saw the badge on the boot lid. It is, IMO, an edifice with almost no redeeming design features. In particular, the awful stepped line across the tail lights across the top of the tailgate is absolutely hideous and makes the back end look like a complete afterthought.
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News