Talk Morgan

Do you always leave your roof up or down

Posted By: ChrisConvertible

Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 05:53 AM

Hi,

My car sat in the garage not driven with the roof off for about two months (had a DVT frown and wife refuses the drive the stupid thing), the weather went from nice to cold and wet and I had to go to the doctor. So with fingers crossed the car started, I put the roof up and the stupid thing split across the back window. It would have gone from bent to flat too quickly.

[Linked Image]

The roof works very similar to a Morgan easy up roof. I release the metal cover off by pushing a button, lift the roof and connect the front to the windscreen, put the metal cover down and clip it in place, then lower the back of the roof and clip it into the metal cover with things that look identical to the back catches on the easy up roof. I find to get them to clip in I have to give it a bit of a push which seems the same as a Morgan as well, that is when it split.

I generally always drive with the roof off, Canberra might get cold but we have virtually no rain, so I am in the habit of leaving the car in the garage with the roof off 90% of the time. But thinking that maybe the roof might last longer if it is left up when not in use, the back window probably would have.

The mohair has lots of wear parts mainly where it folds so I am looking at getting a whole new roof made which I know is not cheap.

So wondering do people generally leave their roof up or down when the car is in a garage and do you think it would last longer if up and down all the time or no real difference?
Posted By: John V6

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 06:18 AM

I leave it up but not tensioned in the winter. sounds like you have a Simmonds hood though that doesn't look like a Morgan
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 06:49 AM

I too leave the hood up unless car is being used again within a few days, if only to keep that rear window stretched. Also keeps the dust out of cockpit although dust sheets employed at other times.
Posted By: BobtheTrain

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 07:06 AM

I have a glass back window but still leave the hood up in the garage. This keeps it taut and greatly lessens creases forming in the material.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 07:47 AM

On the Aero S2 I leave the hood up and latched but not tensioned. It also avoids a musty smell developing in the cockpit. Spiders on the other hand also love to say thank you by leaving presents as a result.....
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 07:48 AM

Up for me too, unless I'm deffo driving it the following day
Posted By: Budster

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by CooperMan
Up for me too, unless I'm deffo driving it the following day

Same for me.
When the factory fitted a new hood, a few years ago, this was their recommendation.
Posted By: lowebird

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 09:19 AM

I like to leave it up for as long as possible, oh sorry, wrong forum!!!! I always put the hood up if I'm not going out for a few days as it keeps the window flat and tensions the material
Posted By: MOG 615

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 11:51 AM

I was advised by Sean at Allon White to leave the hood up under tension , and use a hairdryer (on lowest setting) to heat the plastic rear windows to get the creases out.

It has worked for me OK .
Posted By: ChrisConvertible

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 01:31 PM

Thanks, yes it is a Nissan not a Morgan which is why I put it in the non-Morgan vehicle forum, but I thought Morgan owners would know more about convertible roofs than owners of other makes of cars. Plus most of you would have got advice from a dealer when buying the car.

[Linked Image]

My plan is to get a new roof made for it, then hope it lasts a long time. From these comments it seems everyone puts the roof up so it is not kept folded fr too long, but some with the roof not under tension and others under tension. Overall it seems under tension is the most popular.
Posted By: sospan

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 01:42 PM

I have the studded hood not easy-up.If fitted then it is left up in tension to keep shape.
If not in use then folded to keep the clear plastic sections flat.
Posted By: PaulJ

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 10/09/19 02:39 PM

I think the general recommendation is for a convertible roof to be left up and probably tensioned when not being used for periods, but to stop my back window creasing when down - most of the summer - I use a length of foam pipe insulation folded into the window, it's worked so far, but the car is only 3 years old, so I'll let you all know at its' 10th anniversary if it really is a good idea.
Posted By: PHZI

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 12/09/19 10:56 AM

I wouldn'teave the hood down for even 5 mins when the car is put away, even for the night.. Always under tension. I wouldn't like to be left all crumpled up. Wouldn't do the joints any good!
Also, having the old style roof, I can roll it up and leave attached at the rear when driving with the roof down. That way the windows don't crease and it is well positioned to put up in a hurry should there be a thunder plump.
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 12/09/19 11:03 AM

The PVC hood is more prone to shrinking in cold weather.

The first couple of summers I left my (Mohair) Roadster hood down for long periods and it survived OK.
Posted By: Giles

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 12/09/19 01:17 PM

The PVC hood does indeed shrink in cold weather & is a pain to put up after having been stowed away for a while.
For that reason, as well as the fact that Belgian weather is more often worse than the British one, I keep the hood up most of the time, but without fitting the doors.
I only drive topless if the weather forecast indicates at least 3 days without rain...
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 12/09/19 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by DaveW

The first couple of summers I left my (Mohair) Roadster hood down for long periods and it survived OK.

+1 ---- Still do. It is down at the moment.
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 12/09/19 05:00 PM

I left my hood down for about 7 years and mice chewed some sizable chunks out of it. After glueing home-made vinyl patches over the holes it has been perfectly servicable since.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 12/09/19 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gambalunga
Originally Posted by DaveW

+1 ---- Still do. It is down at the moment.

Agreed mine is the poverty model PVC that responds better to a good stretch.
Posted By: pete757

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 12/09/19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
I only drive topless if the weather forecast indicates at least 3 days without rain...

You would never drive in the UK if you did that!
Posted By: Heinz

Re: Do you always leave your roof up or down - 12/09/19 07:54 PM

I always close the roof, easy up PVC. When the car was in the workshop for six months last year due to the wildlife accident, the roof was not stretched. Ok the car stood luxuriously parked in a heated hall. But it took two months until the roof was so relaxed again that I didn't have to fear a crack in the window. The shrinkage was so strong.
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News