Talk Morgan

New addition.. DBD34

Posted By: SteveT

New addition.. DBD34 - 12/09/19 08:35 AM

Recent acquisition to the stable..I know we have a few interested in bikes on here so thought i'd share it..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 12/09/19 08:43 AM

Ooh, that's nice, Steve! I rode one donkey's years ago. My recollection is of a heavy clutch and a very high first gear, but wonderful when it got up to speed. I hope your back is up to those clip-ons, I couldn't ride one these day mainly because my gut would get in the way!

I've just bought a 1977 T40V, it's taken ages to get registered as it was a re-import from the US, but the paperwork finally came through this week.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: John V6

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 12/09/19 08:45 AM

Both lovely bikes I am envious. Tim I have a clutch puller tool for the T140V if you are interested.

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 12/09/19 08:50 AM

Hi Tim, you are right, the clip ons will literally be a pain. Could always fit some standards though. Long first gear, they say 60mph in 1st so not one for traffic but then not planning on that type of riding.
Nice Triumph, by contrast you have some US ape hangers smile
So lets plan a ride out and get SBM along on his RE soon!
Posted By: Jens

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 12/09/19 08:57 AM

Your Goldstar is a beauty!
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 12/09/19 09:02 AM

Very nice Steve. An Amal mk2 concentric if I'm not mistaken. Wonder if 2LS front brakes are a popular mod on that bike. It's what I have on my one year newer Velocette. Bet yours starts more easily though wink

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 12/09/19 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by John V6
Both lovely bikes I am envious. Tim I have a clutch puller tool for the T140V if you are interested.

Yes please, John! How much do you want for it? I'll PM you my address.
Posted By: John V6

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 12/09/19 09:22 AM

PM sent. Please use the second email address for paypal

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 12/09/19 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Wood
Very nice Steve. An Amal mk2 concentric if I'm not mistaken. Wonder if 2LS front brakes are a popular mod on that bike. It's what I have on my one year newer Velocette. Bet yours starts more easily though wink

Hi Richard, its a Mikuni VM38 in the hope that it will provide some form of idle as an advantage over the GP. It looks very similar to the Amal Mk2. I'm not sure about starting easily..I have yet to develop 'the knack' and its a totally different procedure to the Velo. There was a full width 190mm option on the front brake at the time but this one seems to work fine. Riding it is very much like the Velo Thruxton i had, in fact rather easier on the gear change as more room around it but the foot pegs feel a bit higher. Both not designed for old bodies though!
Posted By: MOG 615

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 12/09/19 11:23 AM

Steve

I am green with envy , when I was a spotty youth I had a BSA C11G 250cc single, but my dream bike then was always a Gold Star. You are indeed a very lucky lad.

I like the Triumph twin as well Tim, obviously the Bonnie was the bike that everyone drooled over , but I was informed that some of the models lurking beneath it were much nicer to ride.
Posted By: BobtheTrain

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 12/09/19 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hamwich
it's taken ages to get registered as it was a re-import from the US, but the paperwork finally came through this week.

Was that because it was a left-hand drive?
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 13/09/19 04:48 PM

Pal of mine restored a DBD34, years ago.
Having done so he didn't keep it that long as he couldn't ride it very well. I have a photo somewhere in the collection of prints.
He did take some of his other restorations to NZ when he emigrated though. Arwyn knows him smile
Miss my T140V - but i suspect a certain colouring of the spectacles might have some input! laugh2

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 13/09/19 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by BobtheTrain
it's taken ages to get registered as it was a re-import from the US, but the paperwork finally came through this week.

Was that because it was a left-hand drive?

rofl

Apparently DVLA managed to lose the US Title certificate and claimed they hadn't received it despite being supplied with evidence that they had it.
Posted By: BobtheTrain

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 14/09/19 09:28 AM

Apparently DVLA managed to lose the US Title certificate and claimed they hadn't received it despite being supplied with evidence that they had it.

Don't start me on the DVLA!
Posted By: Luddite

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 14/09/19 10:47 AM

Nice pics of cracking bikes, thanks for posting.
Posted By: Arwyn Williams

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 14/09/19 08:28 PM

Ah, the RRT2 gearbox with its high first gear and cramp inducing clip ons....

Having said that I had a DBD34 in Touring trim. A lovely underrated machine. Hopefully, it's escaped being put into Clubmans trim.

I now have a B32 350 Clipper in the workshop. It's an export only model marketed by Hap Alzina, the BSA distributor. An all alloy BB32 engine in a frame stamped CB34 xxxcc and an SCT prefix box. Gets the rivet counters talking!!

Arwyn

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 25/09/19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Arwyn Williams
Ah, the RRT2 gearbox with its high first gear and cramp inducing clip ons....

Having said that I had a DBD34 in Touring trim. A lovely underrated machine. Hopefully, it's escaped being put into Clubmans trim.

I now have a B32 350 Clipper in the workshop. It's an export only model marketed by Hap Alzina, the BSA distributor. An all alloy BB32 engine in a frame stamped CB34 xxxcc and an SCT prefix box. Gets the rivet counters talking!!

Arwyn

Arwyn, you are quite correct, after a recent 40 odd mile run each way i can confirm the clip ons are a back and wrist killer. My box is a Std one though so not quite as bad as the RRT2 but still requires some clutch slip to move away. I may look out for some touring bars and foot rests and convert it. Its a quick bike though..engine rebuilt by John Cronshaw and a Bob Newby belt drive..it flies!
Posted By: Jacques

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 25/09/19 09:07 PM

I love this BSA Goldstar, it's like new. Congratulations and enjoy.
Jacques
Posted By: David_E

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 26/09/19 08:22 PM

That looks very nice indeed.

My brother bought a DBD34 around 1972. Standard gearbox and a big fibreglass tank. They weren't classics then, just old bikes.

It provided my first passenger ton.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 28/09/19 12:32 PM

Sorry it is link to FB but worth a laugh.

https://www.facebook.com/performancepartsltd/videos/754328224591523/
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 28/09/19 04:20 PM

First bike I, at 12 years old, owned was a BSA. I think it was a C10 (but may have been a C11, the OHV version).

[Linked Image]

I pushed it home from where it had been left for years behind a neighbour's shed. A good 500 metres! At the time we lived in an area which had a minimum block size of 5 acres. The exhaust pipe was rated away from just under the engine and there was no silencer, the girder forks needed repairing and the rest of the bike was not much better. The engine was just about seized and the gearbox was blocked. Fortunately it had been left in neutral.

My father gave me a basic set of tools and advice as I went along, he also managed to get a few bits and pieces such as a new head gasket, spark plug and lead, and arranged for a friend to repair the forks. I finally managed to get it all back together and put in fresh oil and petrol.

I had no real Idea of the starting proceedure but I gave it a go and the thing backfired and nearly threw me over the handlebars. Probably too much advance. My father was having a cup of tea and when he heard it fire he jumped up surprised that I had managed to actually get it to a running condition. "It fired!" he said to mum and ran out to the bike. In a couple of kicks he had it running then as it got warm he made some adjustments to the carb. He then proceeded to spend the next half hour riding around the yard on my motorcycle!

I always had trouble getting away from a standing start and it was only years afterwards I realised that I had been starting in second gear because I always had the gear shift pattern reversed in my mind. Given that we were in an area with rough paddocks and dirt roads I on't think I ever got it out of second gear either.
Posted By: David_E

Re: New addition.. DBD34 - 28/09/19 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Alistair

YouTube link for FB avoiders:

© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News