Talk Morgan

Type of E

Posted By: Clipper

Type of E - 10/11/19 03:10 PM

Purists will be chomping on their pipes, but I wouldn't kick it out of the garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW6uF4Qotpg

Would like to see those wheels on a Plus 6!
Posted By: lowebird

Re: Type of E - 10/11/19 03:56 PM

Whilst not considering myself a "Purist", I still have to ask WHY???? Only in America!! Having said that, the overall finish looked nice but if you must spoil an E Type, then Eagle will do a much better job for you.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Type of E - 10/11/19 04:15 PM

Stunning work & I loved the wires but I agree why.
Posted By: M3W55

Re: Type of E - 10/11/19 04:50 PM

Not really an E Type, but rather lovely.
Posted By: Jens

Re: Type of E - 10/11/19 07:25 PM

Awful...
Posted By: deano

Re: Type of E - 10/11/19 08:41 PM

Why mess with perfection comes to mind.
Posted By: Cat302

Re: Type of E - 10/11/19 08:58 PM

Well I agree with Lowebird, if you like an alternative E type Eagle would be my choice. As for the wheels just awful BLING.
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Type of E - 10/11/19 09:46 PM

As Reg says, if you can't improve it leave it alone, it's a mischung to me.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobtheTrain

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by +8Rich
it's a mischung to me.

Single Chinese Geisha Girl?
Posted By: ChrisConvertible

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 03:07 AM

Initially I hated the wheels just because they look too big but once he said they were billet and not spokes at all I found them interesting.

So he said he tried to make it look what the original designers had in mind and then took a Series 3 and cut it down to about the size of a series one while removing the ugly bumpers etc. the series 3 had. Therefore he made it closer to a series one which is what the original designers obviously did have in mind. I wonder if it would have been easier to start with a series 1, but the series one are worth more which I think could be the reason he used a series 3 instead.

Overall very nice but I would prefer an Eagle E-type. Or probably even a Frontline Abingdon Edition MGB.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by BobtheTrain
it's a mischung to me.

No German for a mixture or mongrel.
I would prefer a Plus 6 but I do admire the work & skill even if the end result is odd.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by BobtheTrain
it's a mischung to me.

Jede Meinung ist eine Mischung aus Wahrheit und Irrtum.

Bob. The pedant in you should know better than that. Miss Chung cannot be both Chinese and a Geisha. I won't even mention the tautology of "Geisha Girl".
somestick
Posted By: BobtheTrain

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 08:10 AM

I was just testing. pantsdown
Posted By: Jack The Lad

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 09:10 AM

Reg I would love an Eagle spyder GT . One can dream .
Posted By: Chilliblu

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 09:43 AM

Wheels too big, the rest I don't mind but I hope this was done on a car in need of restoration, not taking a really original e-type and changing it into something else. Also hate the way Americans pronounce Jaguar.
Posted By: Clipper

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 11:03 AM

Had a quick look on Autotrader to see if any Eagles listed, but none. Maybe not odd, but what is odd is that there are no manufacturers listed that start with the letter E.

I can hear those cogs whirring!
Posted By: Heinz

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 11:25 AM

For me the biggest irritation besides the oversized wheels is that the side rocker panels were pulled so low. Thus the car loses this unique floating light-footedness of the original and I do not care to see some underpinnings. It now looks stiffer and clumsier. In real perception probably even more than in the movie.
That's a bit unfortunate because people put so much effort into it. But the Eagle interpretation is much more exciting to me.

Interesting is that the wheels are billets. If you choose an aesthetically correct size (and color) this could be an interesting alternative for very powerful engines like the Plus 6.
Posted By: bmgermany

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 11:35 AM

The look of this "E-Car"? Each for their own, but i am impressed by the craftsmanship!

I have seen a lot "car programs" in television (most of them from GB or America). If you have a look in the right moment/ right light the result looks very poor made. For example the painting finish...

At this car I am inpressed by the craftmanship. Have a look at the details (chrome, gap dimensions and so on)
Posted By: Fuel.inj

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 02:08 PM

The craftsmanship, paint and chrome finish on restorations in the States is second to none IMO,having been to many car shows over the Pond.
As a comparison I viewed the vehicles on Goblin Works stand at the NEC over weekend and on the TV the finished article looks superb, but I was disappointed when viewed close up as the detail and finishing touches left a lot to be desired.
Posted By: madmax

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 02:48 PM

How much is it ? Why not get a half decent original e-type and restore the bits that need restoring gradually youself with help from a local garage saving a fortune and having a proper e type into the deal ?
Posted By: Luddite

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 03:34 PM

The skill of those guys is just amazing, I have watched numerous TV progs of the way they operate over a number of years. Boyd Coddington`s prog was one of the first I watched. It ever seemed like the macho stuff was overplayed, but there was no denying the skills of the guys.

Anybody can be a critic, but I MUCH prefer the original E.... This creation looks a bit like a Jag with a degree of Ferrari styling added, the egg box grill and bonnet scoop, and as such for me, it ends up being neither....Sorry.
Posted By: Dean-Royal

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 05:36 PM

NO those wheels are just not doing it for me
Posted By: Jack The Lad

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 07:24 PM

Dean it looks bloody ugly looks like those 2 chairs are out a great great grand parents junk the wheels are dam ugly as is the grill and air scoop . YUK.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 08:43 PM

It is exactly what I would expect of a SEMA car. The wheels looking deliberately aftermarket. There are elements of Lincoln show cars from the past.
Posted By: howard

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by lowebird
Whilst not considering myself a "Purist", I still have to ask WHY???? Only in America!! Having said that, the overall finish looked nice but if you must spoil an E Type, then Eagle will do a much better job for you.

I hink the issue here is that what the yanks have done is "cake decorating" a la Harley etc. It was all about appearance and nothing about engineering and performance. But if the E type is anything, its a sports car so performance is the mst important thing.

Yes it looks pretty but how fast is it?
Posted By: RobCol

Re: Type of E - 11/11/19 09:25 PM

Amazing car and detail but to me they have made it a hot rod with the oversize wheels and I would much prefer the Eagle E type though I understand those cost £500,000!

The wheels are probably unique and I wouldn't have though it possible to make 'spokes' from billet. I also don't think the spokes look very strong. Give me 1960's Borrani alloy spoked wheels anyday over those!
Posted By: Jens

Re: Type of E - 12/11/19 10:04 AM

Thats the E-type for the rich Hip-Hopper.

They like this style:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: lowebird

Re: Type of E - 12/11/19 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jens
Thats the E-type for the rich Hip-Hopper.

They like this style:
[Linked Image]

Now I don't object to this as it is an ugly American land yacht anyway so short of crushing it, anything would improve it.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Type of E - 12/11/19 03:48 PM

The issue is that the SEMA "style" was founded a long time ago, I have visited it in the (distant) past. The small largely local show had a wonderfully cult following from the low rider community. This remains the style/language of the show. In this modern world of sochul medier the manufacturers are trying to look at new methods of approach fresh audience and fell (misguidedly) on the SEMA show as having cool status. They started attending it more and more and even used it for car launches. I don't think they realised that the show was just happy to take the money to make it more successful and most of the audience just quietly laughed at the corporate cuckoo in the nest. Over the last ten years it seems to have gained interest to the cars-are-cool rich crowd and the stakes have been raised. Some of the work done at the show in the old days was quite brash by my standards but there was some serious engineering and effort put in.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News