9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines

Posted By: Gambalunga

9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 09/12/19 01:55 PM

Posted By: Dean-Royal

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 09/12/19 02:31 PM

Mad ………...but i love them
Posted By: lowebird

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 09/12/19 02:50 PM

Totally brilliant, long may the madness continue !!
Posted By: HJP

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 09/12/19 03:41 PM

Fantastic !
Posted By: John V6

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 09/12/19 03:59 PM

Dear Santa I now know what I want for Christmas. Talk about Wacky Races.
Posted By: madmax

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 09/12/19 05:50 PM

Thank you Peter for putting this thread on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its absolutely brilliant !! exting
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 09/12/19 06:52 PM

Thanks for posting, I have been lucky enough to see 4 of those live and they always take my breath away they are fantastic machines and I have to say Duncan's Beast of Turin always comes out on top for me it is a monster long may it last and venues like Goodwood Revival host such outrageous machinery for us all to enjoy.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 09/12/19 09:22 PM

I would fear for the paint job, brilliant, love it. In this crappy week lets find as many fun things like this as we can. Lovely post Peter.

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 09/12/19 09:31 PM

Great idea it's going to be a long week, here's another..

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 09/12/19 10:00 PM

Oh yes. Monster.
Posted By: MOG 615

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 10/12/19 10:56 AM

I have raced against the Pacey Hassan Bentley , the Napier Bentley , and a Barnato Bentley at the Bentley Drivers' Club meetings in the past.

Fearsome beasts indeed, but they really lack any stopping power. I could easily outbrake into every corner , but they came roaring (and I do mean roaring!) past on the next straight. The Napier Bentley was particularly tricky as every time he lifted off it would spit flames from the exhaust , and if I was anywhere near I feared for my paintwork.

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 10/12/19 01:53 PM

Reno Air Race, Gold class 2017 reckoned to be one of the best ever races here.

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 10/12/19 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by +8Rich

Rich, what an impossibly beautiful thing. A chap down the road from me is a professional yacht skipper and spends his time moving "Mr Carpet Right" yacht around the Med I was speaking to him last week ( home to check on the pad ) and he told me that they have an Aquarama as a tender just to go ashore. Why is it that a country which is always in political turmoil can produce so many beautiful things.

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 10/12/19 04:00 PM

Rover Royce ?

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 10/12/19 04:07 PM

There is a club associated with a motel directly across the lake from us that has often a number of Riva boats and other more racing type boats. He did have two most impressive speed record hydroplanes in his garage. One was powered by a Ferrari V12 engine and the other was a Maserati V8.

I believe the Ferrari was the one below that was sold at auction a while back.

[Linked Image]

The vintage Ferrari racing boat at auction for about 2 million dollars
The original unique and unrepeatable RC Arno XI, dating back to 1953, gone down in history for the impressive speed achieved in competition, will be auctioned on May 11 for an expected proceeds of $ 1.9 million
22 February 2012 | by Redazione Liguria Nautica

When we talk about Ferrari, we are used to thinking about asphalt and very fast cars; the auction that will take place on May 11 at RM Auction in Monaco instead makes us rediscover a Ferrari world that also dominates the sea: under the hammer will be the sale of the very fast "Arno", the racing boat that on October 15, 1953 set the speed record in the waters of Lake Iseo, for a long time remained unbeaten.

The boat in question, which left the Cantieri Timossi in Como, follows in the footsteps of a racing car designed by Achille Castoldi and piloted by him between 1952 and 1953, boasts a Ferrari 4,500 engine, twelve cylinders, very similar to that of the grand prix Type 375 car that Jose Froilan Gonzales took to the finish line in the Silverston Grand Prix in 1951.

The record set by this Ferrari jewel was 241.70 Km/h, unbeaten until the Italian federation of motorboats modified the speed limit in relation to the weight category.

This rarity in the world of racing will be awarded for an estimated $1.3 million to $1.9 million.

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 10/12/19 04:19 PM

I don't understand that conflict either Reg, but I do know that their sense of style is the best in the world imho.

These are also beautiful machines with an amazing grace but a lot of hard work on and off shore I'm thinking.

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 10/12/19 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alistair
Rover Royce ?

We need more of these guys laugh2

That's the gauntlet down for the Yorkies on here grin2

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 10/12/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gambalunga

There is a club associated with a motel directly across the lake from us that has often a number of Riva boats and other more racing type boats. He did have two most impressive speed record hydroplanes in his garage. One was powered by a Ferrari V12 engine and the other was a Maserati V8.

I believe the Ferrari was the one below that was sold at auction a while back.

[Linked Image]

The vintage Ferrari racing boat at auction for about 2 million dollars
The original unique and unrepeatable RC Arno XI, dating back to 1953, gone down in history for the impressive speed achieved in competition, will be auctioned on May 11 for an expected proceeds of $ 1.9 million
22 February 2012 | by Redazione Liguria Nautica

When we talk about Ferrari, we are used to thinking about asphalt and very fast cars; the auction that will take place on May 11 at RM Auction in Monaco instead makes us rediscover a Ferrari world that also dominates the sea: under the hammer will be the sale of the very fast "Arno", the racing boat that on October 15, 1953 set the speed record in the waters of Lake Iseo, for a long time remained unbeaten.

The boat in question, which left the Cantieri Timossi in Como, follows in the footsteps of a racing car designed by Achille Castoldi and piloted by him between 1952 and 1953, boasts a Ferrari 4,500 engine, twelve cylinders, very similar to that of the grand prix Type 375 car that Jose Froilan Gonzales took to the finish line in the Silverston Grand Prix in 1951.

The record set by this Ferrari jewel was 241.70 Km/h, unbeaten until the Italian federation of motorboats modified the speed limit in relation to the weight category.

This rarity in the world of racing will be awarded for an estimated $1.3 million to $1.9 million.

Thanks Peter, that is an amazing achievement that speed on water in those days boy they were brave lads.

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 11/12/19 03:43 PM

I don't understand that conflict either Reg, but I do know that their sense of style is the best in the world imho.

These are also beautiful machines with an amazing grace but a lot of hard work on and off shore I'm thinking.

Rich, thanks for posting these. This is my idea of heaven. Thank goodness the Labour Party have no jurisdiction over these, they would tax them out of existence !!
Posted By: pandy

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 11/12/19 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by lowebird

This is my idea of heaven.

There are always a couple of J Class at the voiles de Saint Tropez, sometimes more. One year there were 5 IIRC. They are a truly magnificent sight, and to be crossing tracks with them on the same race course is a wonderful spectacle and a real privilege.

The loads involved on those boats when racing are huge. I sometimes find the power in the rig of the Swan 43 alarming enough when the conditions are a bit frisky. You certainly wouldn't want to make any mistakes on a J class.

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 12/12/19 12:42 PM

Giles, I have never even seen a J class under sail let alone been on one bit I have sailed a Swan 43 around the Isle of Wight so I understand what you mean by the power in the rig. If the fore or aft stay gave way it would probably cause some real damage.

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 12/12/19 04:40 PM

We went to view the Regates Royales - Cannes Saint-Tropez in 2009. Below is a link to a blog gallery page with a few photos.

https://bradley.it/regates-royales-cannes-saint-tropez/

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 12/12/19 08:05 PM

Thanks for posting those Peter. Can't wait until the start of the new sailing season. I haven't even started the post end of season maintenance yet.
Posted By: pandy

Re: 9 Cars With Extreme Big Engines - 12/12/19 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by lowebird
Giles, I have never even seen a J class under sail let alone been on one bit I have sailed a Swan 43 around the Isle of Wight so I understand what you mean by the power in the rig. If the fore or aft stay gave way it would probably cause some real damage.

Those old S&S boats (like a J class) have such fine stern sections that downwind they can really get quite a roll on.

My concerns about the power are entirely related to our symmetrical spinnaker, which is a huge 150m2, with big shoulders, so a lot of power high up. Once it starts to blow a bit (more than about 15 kts), unless you have someone REALLY good on the helm, it can all start to roll and weave, and the prospect of a windward broach becomes quite a strong prospect.

That's what scares me.....
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News