Talk Morgan

Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition

Posted By: ChrisConvertible

Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 02:28 AM

My MGB donor car turned up for me to register, unfortunately the previous owner had it on historic registration which is not transferable so it is basically an unregistered car. With the Corona Virus that is going to take a week to get the inspection done, then haveto do the pape work on line and they mail out the number plates. I can't wait to have a drive just for fun.

The plan is to drive it for two weeks before they come back to get it ready for the restoration/ modernisation. The guy who dropped it off said he had a drive and it certainly goes hard with the big Weber and other engine modifications. My wife was saying it is going to look so nice one it is green, but I think it is rather nice as it is, the paint work is original which is amazing for a car that has been raced a lot and it certainly sounds like it will go well as they drove it off the truck and up my driveway.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 05:07 AM

Enjoy! smile
Posted By: KEVFITZ

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 06:55 AM

Keep us updated please !!!
Posted By: MOG 615

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 07:54 AM

If the car has been raced the chances are that the suspension has also been modified , which will make it very good to drive.

Are there signs of a roll bar having been fitted in the past? I would be very surprised if it has been raced without one.

Even the dash and interior look remarkable original and in amazing condition. Quite a find.
Posted By: TBM

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 08:13 AM

Just googled 'Frontline Abingdon' - they look fabulous but WOW what a price!

Personally I think I'd restore that beautiful red MG, buy two secondhand Morgans and still have £20K change......
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 08:54 AM

That looks lovely you are going to have fun with that.

As said I'd keep it just like that a great provenance.
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 08:58 AM

Very desirable with outstanding performance figures claimed for a car that weighs only 20Kg less than a 3.7 Roadster and has 39lbft less max torque. Guess the gearing is much lower.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 09:03 AM

That looks great. Enjoy your new toy.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 10:35 AM

Thanks everyone, yes it seems such a dilemma as I was not expecting it to be that nice. Not sure how such a nice car was found but I guess the workshop has its contacts.

Yes the Frontline Abingdon in the UK is extremely expensive, however in Australia the car with 2.0L 210bhp engine, 6 speed gearbox, heated seats and air-conditioning will work out less than a new 4/4 was last year before Morgan Australia closed its doors. Still expensive (especially compared to other cars) but probably half the price it is compared to the UK. I think of the Frontline Abingdon as a 2.5L roadster so I guess with the 2.0L engine mine is not 100% one, Modern Classic Cars which is the Australian Frontline supplier/partner or something related calls their cars the Abingdon Edition AU regardless of the engine.

The plan is that Modern Classic Cars sources a donor car that has a reasonable body with as little rust as possible, buys it on my behalf and supplies me with all the paper work from the previous owner to get registered. Then once it is registered in my name they pick it up and strip it. Last week they told me they found a suitable donor, will drop it off on Thursday the 14th the pick it up around the 27th or 28th ready for them to start on Monday the 1st of June. In the meantime all I had to do was arrange it to be inspected and registered in my name, have some fun driving it and make sure I leave it pretty empty of petrol.

The car turns up and I am expecting some hopefully un-rusty but basically worn out car. The bad news is I had hoped it had some registration on it but it has historic registration that can't be transferred and I doubt I can get an inspection until end of next week, meaning assuming it passes I can't organise the paper work with the coronavirus delays causing short hours at the governemnt shop front until early the week starting the 25th, so maybe only a day or two to drive it before it is supposed to be taken away frown

The good news is it seems like a really good car, the previous owner used it for historic racing, the motor sounds very lumpy but rather nice, the paint is pretty good and I can't see much body damage at all- just a few small dint's here and there. The previous owner wanted to keep the roll cage, racing seats and hard top so Modern Classic Cars have put some seats in from another donor car, removed the headlight covers, tow hooks and bonnet strap, gave it a good clean underneath so hopefully it will pass the road worthy. I am a bit confused why would someone sell a car that looks so good but want to keep some of the racing parts.

So what a dilemma, I think it looks great as it is, it certainly sounded great for the 100 metres it was driven up the driveway, I started it this morning to move it as a TV repair man was coming and I wanted to give him good access for his van (well that is my excuse smile ). It started OK, went nicely into both first and reverse and clutch felt good. But when I mentioned to she who must be obeyed that I like it as it is she said (in that don't argue tone) it has to go back to become green, with air-conditioning and a new Mazda engine that won't smell of petrol like that engine does.
Posted By: Heinz

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 11:13 AM

Chris, have you signed a contract with the restoration company yet? If not yet, would it perhaps be a good compromise with your wife if you drive the car as it is? And then have a year to think about whether the original condition is a lot of fun or then a year later do the restoration with green paint, Mazda engine etc.?
I ask because if it were me, and against all odds, such an original car for little?money shows up, then I would accept the unexpected happiness. BTW may I ask how much this car cost as it is?

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 12:20 PM

Heinz, I don't really know what the car cost. I know I paid $20,000AUD being $10,000 deposit towards parts for starting the project and $10,000 for the car. So I will use the receipt for $10,000 for the transfer and pay taxes based on that. Based on what I looked at $10,000 is very cheap for the condition and I don't recognisable this car as being advertised on any of the usual places. So either the restoration company has a lot of contacts who know people wanting to get rid of cars, is very good at negotiating or probably both. I expect he did pay over $10,000 but hopes to make it up by having a nice straight body with no rust to fix will save him some money.

Not an actual contract signed in the old fashioned way but he sent me specs and I agreed via e-mail - which I guess is signing in these days. I do like your idea of driving it as is for a while and enjoying the experience, if it breaks down and is unreliable then go ahead earlier but if is it nice and reliable drive it for longer. That was my initial thoughts however he is trying to do the car now as a win win situation for me, his other two current customers and himself. He has run out of engines for 2.5L conversions which is what two cars he is currently working on but has a 2.0Litre engine in stock which I am happy with, the next two customers on his waiting list also want the 2.5L engines. Due to the Coronavirus OMEX like a lot of places in the UK (including Morgan) are not shipping or manufacturing stuff so the 2.5L engines that were supposed to arrive two months ago have not been shipped yet. Rather than finishing off those cars and charging the progress payments as planned then letting them sit waiting for the engines he would work on them slower while doing my car.

So basically
A win for those two current customers as they have not paid say 60% or 80% to have the cars sit in his workshop waiting for engines to arrive before being finished.
A win for him as his 6 staff can keep working full time on my car and a bit on those two other cars.
A win for me as I jump what would have been a 9 month wait.

The other win for me is to keep "She who Must Be Obeyed" happy is after he did up the price list he said he would throw in both air-conditioning and heated seats for her as he has the parts from a car that didn't go ahead and he could tell she really wanted both. I think that is a pretty good deal sweetener as the air-conditioning was $7,000 and seeing where I live goes from very cold winters to very hot summers those two things that will allow the car to be used a lot more often.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 12:31 PM

That sounds a reasonably accurate price - $10000 is about £5250 and you can get a reasonable MGB here for £3500 up to about £25,000 for one with a full nut and bolt restoration.

You can buy runners in need of resto from £1000 upwards. (I was considering a GT for a daily driver, but the sub 30mpg is putting me off)

How much for a new wife? smile smile
Posted By: Morph

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by TBM

Personally I think I'd restore that beautiful red MG, buy two secondhand Morgans and still have £20K change......

PRICES FROM: £88,475.00 scared

http://www.frontlinedevelopments.com/vehicle/mg-abingdon-edition/

[Linked Image]

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Morph
Originally Posted by TBM

PRICES FROM: £88,475.00 scared

Yeah - LOT of money for an MGB!
Posted By: MDS61

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 03:44 PM

These Frontline Abingbon threads - have come up before...I just cannot see the justification of a £88K MGB.

If they were £29K that would still be plenty, however, I think that can be rationalised that.

A colleague has a fully restored TR6 with a BMW M3 engine in it (321 bhp), he has completed all the work him self (body off chassis) strengthened the whole thing, it is on bespoke suspension and has an integrated roll bar, the fit and finish is way beyond what Triumph originally churned out. The six cylinder howl is also massively appealing...

It is totally docile yet weighs approx. 60% of the original M3 (which was not a slow car) - the build cost was circa £55k.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 03:50 PM

And you can get a half decent +8 for £24,000

Morgan +8
Posted By: MDS61

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by TBM
And you can get a half decent +8 for £24,000

Morgan +8

TBM - agreed - that looks cheap - stacked up against the MGB - people will actually recognise the Morgan (especially being a V8) as "being something special". The MGB...is at the end of the day...another MGB
Posted By: KEVFITZ

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 04:42 PM

All I would say is drive one and then let me hear your comments !!!

I have driven the MGBGT version with the same Mazda MZR as my Supersports and it flies,sounds great and handles really well..and in the GT version has that classic design that has aged well in my opinion.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 04:54 PM

I suppose the crux of it is 'it's an MGB'. If I wanted to go stupidly fast, I wouldn't want it to be in an MGB. If I wanted a sports car to bimble round in, and turn a few heads it wouldn't be in an MGB. If I had £80K to spend on a classic, it wouldn't be on an MGB.

That's not to say I don't like them. I do, and did consider one to do the daily commute to work, but as I said earlier, the mpg isn't enough. At £3 to £5K, they're not a bad option for a good old British classic.
Posted By: Rovert

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 04:56 PM

They do seem to get rave reviews, a lot of money, but then so are $400,000 Singer 964 Porsches. The Restomod industry seems to be booming, even if we cannot afford them they do keep craftsmen employed. (And dreamers dreaming)

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 06:23 PM

All valid comments re: costs for the UK market, but the situation is different in Oz.
Good luck with it Chris, whichever way you decide to go on rebuild or keep as is. smile

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
All valid comments re: costs for the UK market, but the situation is different in Oz.
Good luck with it Chris, whichever way you decide to go on rebuild or keep as is. smile

I don't think it's much different Graham, according to their web page, prices start from $170,000AUD - that's nigh on £90,000.

MGB Abingdon AU

You can pick up a +8 in Oz for under £40,000 ($75000AUD)

Plus 8's for sale in Oz.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 08:26 PM

Yes. Sadly the import duty and taxes are distorting the price of new cars in many countries allowing restoration to become more viable. I have never had a love of MG's but I do see the attraction of a resto mod in that space. I also see the attraction of a trad +8 or Aero.

I love that a restomod allows more personal expression in the rebuild. I am not totally certain that the $400k prices are justified but if someone is willing to pay then why not, apparently a £10k coffee machine is viable! I have a deep longing for an Alfaholics 115 Alfa Guilia. Just love that car it looks so pretty.
Posted By: Rovert

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 08:38 PM

Alistair, if you like the Alfas I suspect you may enjoy this Lancia Aurelia

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 08:41 PM

Brian - I had seen that one before and you are exactly right - great work. Inside and out.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 08:49 PM

That Lancia is absoluely beautiful - now that's something I would have.....

My mate bought one of those Alfaholics GTA's just before lockdown and not had a good clutch yet. Just nattering with him at the moment (he's restoring one of his 80" S1 Landy) and looking forward to going out fo a spin together.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/05/20 10:58 PM

[quote=TBM according to their web page, prices start from $170,000AUD - that's nigh on £90,000.

MGB Abingdon AU

You can pick up a +8 in Oz for under £40,000 ($75000AUD)

Plus 8's for sale in Oz.
[/quote]

I am paying $112,000AUD for the restoration/modernisation and $10,000 for the donor car so $122,000 in total.

I do wonder if he has lost any customers due to the price on the website. When I first saw him at a car show 5 years ago I was told from $80,000 with most customers spending $100,000, at that time a Morgan plus 4 was $110,000 plus whatever I would add which with a Morgan can add up. When i saw from $170,000AUD on his website I queried him and he said that is the car in the photo that has the 2.5L engine and a lot of expensive options, he built it so customers can see all the options and down-spec from there, prices are from $100,000 to $170,000 with most customers spending about $120,000 on the 2.0L engine. The only things I have down spec'ed from the red car in that photo is the engine from 2.5 to 2.0, carpet on the centre console and side sills instead of leather matching the seats and using the Stereo system I removed from my Silvia when it was written off (that is a great stereo so not really a down grade).

So really I think he should have $100,000 to $170,000 on his website as having "from $170,000" to me implies $170,000 to potentially a lot more.

To compare the specs on the last new Morgan in December 2019 was a 1.6 4/4 in Jaguar Metallic Green, Green Mohair top, Walnut dash, Over riders, Stainless Steel wheels, Map pockets, Foot-well lights, Visors, Heated Seats, mesh Grille, Clock, Door stays and Trinket Tray for $124,309AUD. A very nice colour, pretty good spec and a very close price.

[Linked Image]

The big difference to me is I could not buy the Morgan when it was available as I had no money end of last year but started a new well paid job January this year which combined with my retirement pension I should be able to make progress payments until March 2021 when my car is expected to be finished.

So yes a lot of money and there are a lot of second hand options like Plus 8 Morgans or Porsche Boxter's for much cheaper, but I guess like ordering a new Morgan part of the appeal is getting a car built to whatever colour and options you want/ can afford.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 16/05/20 06:49 AM

That's about £65,000 - certainly more realistic than £90K!

Regardless of my opinions, it's your money, you've earned it, and you can spend it whichever way you want. 100% behind you on buying something you're going to enjoy.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 16/05/20 09:30 AM

My adblocker prevented me getting to the +8s for sale.
So be it, I'm not switching it off, this poor little NetBook is slow enough as it is!

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 16/05/20 01:33 PM

TBM - thanks.

Graham - Funny as it is a valid website, for you info this is a quick summary of the Morgans currently advertised in Australia and there is a reason collection of +8's, however most of them have been advertised for well over a year so cars are just not selling well.
2002 +8 15,000km $99,500 (was $120,000 about 5 months ago)
1976 +8 15,000km $89,500
1977 +8 29,000km $79,500
1979 +8 78,000km $78,500
1979 +8 87,000km $76,500
1980 +8 61,000km $72,500
1979 +8 75,000km $68,500
1979 +8 60,000km $66,995
1929 3W 33,000km $59,995
1989 4/4 99,000km $55,000
1974 4/4 74,000km $50,000
1981 4/4 101,000km $45,500
1970 4/4 59,000km $45,000
1948 4/4 3,000km $40,000

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 16/05/20 02:05 PM

Cheers Chris. Yes a valid web site, but it blocks access if one has an adblocker running.
Something that I run to reduce the amount of garbage that may appear on my screen.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 18/05/20 01:50 PM

Guys. You have to look at where Chris is coming from and the car that he is replacing with the MG. The aim was to get a drivable classic that has brand new mechanicals, improved road suspension and completely OK bodywork. On top of that he wants to enjoy it with his wife who clearly likes open air motoring but insists on a certain comfort level. She is not interested in a race tuned motor with a lumpy cam that snorts petrol fumes, or the race tuned suspension. A sure recipe to alienate her from the car would be to keep it as is.

You also have to factor in that the car is part of a deal engineered to the final object of a Frontline Abingdon Edition. The only reason that Chris even has it at this point is that in order to keep costs and taxes down the car must be registered in his name before the work is done to turn it into a Frontline Abingdon Edition. It even already includes parts that did not come with the purchase from the previous owner.

The final comment is that it would be an act of extreme bad faith for Chris to back out of the deal and keep the car as it is.

I am sure that Chris and Mrs Chris will love the car when they pick it up from it's rebirth as a Frontline Abingdon Edition (AU).

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 20/05/20 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gambalunga
. A sure recipe to alienate her from the car would be to keep it as is.

the car is part of a deal engineered to the final object of a Frontline Abingdon Edition It even already includes parts that did not come with the purchase from the previous owner.

it would be an act of extreme bad faith for Chris to back out of the deal and keep the car as it is.

Yes everything Peter said is 100% true, those three points especially.

I arranged a restricted Permit to take the car for an inspection which it passed, certainly happy about that. I have now filled in the registration establishment forms online so hopefully will be contacted before the weekend to make the payment and get the car registered so I can enjoy a drive before the car is returned, if it was not for Corona Virus I probably would have had to hang around the registry for an hour or so to be served but at least it would be done. Starting the car up it would not idle or run well until it had warmed up for a few minutes by that time I could easily smell petrol from the weber and other fumes from the exhaust. When I got back my wife said how did it go and I said passed with no issues and the mechanic said it is in rather good condition, her reply was that's great but can't wait until it gets a new engine and not that noisy smelly thing that I could easily smell in the house. So yes she is not a fan of the engine at all.

I look at having the car for hopefully a week registered and to use as a bonus to the whole process of buying the Frontline car. I hired a MGB and a Morgan to try in the past and from my short 15 minute drive each way this car is much better sorted than both of those cars were. It is like getting a free hire of a good classic car with the purchase of a classic looking car which anyone would have to be happy with.
Posted By: Luddite

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 20/05/20 03:12 PM

Dirty smelly and noisy MGB.... Surely not..!

Though there are alternatives.. (-:

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/news/electric-mgb-revealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Gp0_x8tWs
Posted By: Hawki

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 20/05/20 04:03 PM

Only £83k for an eclectic MGB. I might buy one for my wife as well.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 20/05/20 05:46 PM

To be honest I can get my head round an electric MGB a little more, but for that price I'd want Tesla performance and range....

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 20/05/20 06:31 PM

I think Chris did everything right. I mean, he weighed everything carefully and thought it through. Considering the alternatives in Australia, I would probably have ended up with exactly this project, and I would be very pleased that the FAE company exists at all. I was electrified when Frontline was new on the market. The MGB gets a different perception and the 210 hp looks good on her.
I am happy with you Chris! At some point a decision is made. The price of all fun cars is never rational, but the joy and anticipation is, and it is always a very subjective thing which is unvaluable. There is nobody here in the forum who only spends money rationally.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 21/05/20 09:28 AM

Thanks, yes I had to make a decision and I was leaning towards a new Morgan +4 over the MGB for a while, Morgan discontinuing the trad's did make the decision easier. I agree none of us spends our 100% of our money rationally.

Talking electric I was pretty excited in 2016 when Morgan announced they were going to make electric versions of each model by 2019. I also thought about making an electric MGB myself like the you video Luddite attached but the costs for building something with half the range and half the performance was more than buying a new Tesla 3 off the shelf. I guess Tesla has the market sewn up and home made cars just can't compete, their cars appeal to me as a sedan but they don't make any open top cars, and if they do actually release the roadster 2 the price will be much too much for me.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 03/06/20 02:06 PM

My good news is the number plates arrived and I have put in a fair few miles, based on the receipt book I have done more than the previous owner did each year of ownership. It is noisy and I can really smell petrol and exhaust fumes so after about an hour I have enough of a headache to be happy to turn the engine off. I am not sure but based on the one tank of petrol I used I think it used over 20L/100km (under 14MPG - UK Gallons not the tiny US ones) so not that economical at all. Hopefully once finished it will be a bit quieter, less of a petrol smell and a lot more economical, hopefully closer to 8L/100 or 35MPG but I will find out eventually.

I also found the car for sale at http://www.my105.com/mobi/ListingDetails/p/2/cid/518/id/20363 so while I doubt the workshop paid that for it I do really expect they plan on selling the engine etc. to recover some of the costs purchasing the donor car.

I have really enjoyed the drives I have had in it and find the pedals setup quite nicely for toe and heal. I still have it for this weekend before it goes away but happy to see it leave knowing the next time I see it will be in the workshop as a primed shell ready to paint in whichever shade of Green I have decided on by then. The workshop has painted a piece of metal with one side G29 which is MGB Dark British Racing green and next to it Jaguar Metallic Racing Green that looks great in the sun with the gold sparkles in it but not so nice on an overcast day. They are going to do another piece in G25 that is a lighter MGB BRG and asked is their any other car I like the look of that I would like them to paint up. Now I know what ordering a new Morgan must feel like with so many choices of colour.
Posted By: James B W

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 04/06/20 09:36 AM

- sounds great Chris. ; good luck with the build.

If you are looking at shades of green ,check out - BMW BOSTON GREEN METALLIC.

I am biased as I have it on my car, but it is a lovely dark shade with tiny sparkles in and really 'pops' in the sunlight.

James

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 04/06/20 10:44 AM

That does look nice on the computer screen, thanks for the tip. I think I will spend the weekend walking along the car yards and see what I can see.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 04/06/20 01:00 PM

Just as a supplement, I found this article interesting and I had posted it here in the Welcome Forum a year ago. Basically, it is about getting good results for a BRG on the basis of modern water-based paints

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/paint/pt150f1.htm

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/paint/pt150f3.htm

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/paint/pt150f4.htm

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 04/06/20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisConvertible
found the car for sale at http://www.my105.com/mobi/ListingDetails/p/2/cid/518/id/20363 so while I doubt the workshop paid that for it I do really expect they plan on selling the engine etc. to recover some of the costs purchasing the donor car.

Those seats look like they are going to need a good bit of articulation to get in and out of!

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 05/06/20 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Heinz
Just as a supplement, I found this article interesting and I had posted it here in the Welcome Forum a year ago. Basically, it is about getting good results for a BRG on the basis of modern water-based paints

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/paint/pt150f1.htm

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/paint/pt150f3.htm

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/paint/pt150f4.htm

Thanks, I found that article a couple of years ago but forgot about it so thanks for bringing it back up, I will definitely get a sample painted up with his final result as that car looks good. Maybe another piece with that on one side and the BMW Boston green. Still not 100% sure if a metallic sparkle would look good on a MGB or not. It looks good on the couple of Morgans I have seen and I guess both are classic looking bodies with more curves and chrome bits than the typical new car.

Originally Posted by Alistair
Those seats look like they are going to need a good bit of articulation to get in and out of!

Yes, I have no idea how he got in and out with the hardtop on. Seeing those seats I can understand why the workshop put some other seats in just for me to have a drive and get the car registered.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/06/20 12:36 PM

Update - the car left today to be stripped and start its journey towards something else. I had it fully registered for two weekends which was heaps of fun, I did 425 miles all up (680km) and took 10 family and friends for rides in it. All agreed it is a great fun car but all had a headache within half an hour from the petrol smells and noise and are looking forward to another ride when it is hopefully less smelly and a lot quieter. No idea how the previous owner raced it without getting a headache but looking at the receipts they only did 2,600 miles in the last 7 years so it was not used very often.

I had fun going on nice country roads near here but glad to see it go as I had a bad headache after each weekend from it. Plus looking forward to seeing the car progress along its journey. I expect the next time I see the car it will be a stripped out shell.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 15/06/20 05:14 PM

I found with the Plus 4 that a good quality catalyser helps to reduce the smell, so I assume some of the noxious fumes, that come back into the cockpit when the hood is down.

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 08/08/20 02:55 AM

Thanks Peter, he said he fits a good quality catalyser so hopefully will be a lot nicer with a modern engine.

Update.

The car is striped and off to the media blasters. I asked whether he does acid dipping or blasting and he said he gets the body blasted as acid can get into places you just can't wash it out of and it causes issues later on, but smaller items like the front guards he gets dipped.

The guy told me the car was originally white, they found the original grey primer that MG used, white paint like the factory, a red paint that he thinks is was done in the 1980’s and then the current red probably done about 5 years ago. Sometime hopefully soon it will be green. He also said the body looks like it has no rust at all with no dents anywhere, even underneath once the tar was all scraped off the floors have no dings. Hopefully it looks just as good once the paint is removed.

[Linked Image]

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 08/08/20 01:04 PM

I do have more photos of the car being stripped but I feel photos of the car being built is going to be more interesting to most people. However while looking thought my photos I couldn't resist posting these two. I visited my son and took for for a nice (apart from the headache for the noise) country drive the day before the car was taken away, I was cuddling my grand daughter and remembered I needed to get someone from the boot, went out to get it and found unlike the Abingdon MGB with shocks a stock MGB boot is pretty hard to open holding a baby so put her on the passenger seat and she had a ball walking around in the car, this is at about 10 1/2 months old so she is walking a lot earlier than her dad did.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 08/08/20 01:10 PM

Great photos Chris. A petrolhead in the making I think! smile
Posted By: John V6

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 08/08/20 01:31 PM

Lovely photos. Our 4 kids still have not done the deed. You must be very proud.
Posted By: Craig Jezz

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 08/08/20 01:49 PM

Great pics Chris 👍
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 08/08/20 02:33 PM

Thanks for the update Chris, lovely pictured of your Grandaughter having a cockpit familiarisation for later usage wink

Re: Modern Classic Cars Frontline Abingdon Edition - 08/08/20 03:03 PM

Thanks I agree they are nice photos. She was certainly interested in touching all the switches on the dash and kept trying to reach down to the gear stick so a potential petrol head. My son certainly is a petrol head and everyone blames me for buying that Nissan Silvia convertible when he was young.

They are doing very well, our grand daughter is a lovely happy baby and both parents are coping well even though they are young. The girlfriend is very independent and trying to make them stand on their own feet but every now and then I will pay a bill for him as I know they are struggling a bit.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News