Talk Morgan

One for Serious Bristol Fans

Posted By: RedThree

One for Serious Bristol Fans - 21/07/20 08:06 PM

Bit sad really, but if you're keen on Bristol cars or even fancy some Aero8 rolling chassis;
Bristol Sale
Posted By: DavidR

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 21/07/20 08:31 PM

Wow that's sad news.

Is it me, but those chassis shots look a lot like the Aero chassis engine package?
Posted By: RedThree

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 21/07/20 08:49 PM

The description describes "eight Morgan Aero 8 rolling chassis with fitted BMW V8 engine, gearbox & running gear (all with keys)."
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 21/07/20 09:15 PM

Back in the day, when bikers crashed their fully-faired sports bikes, they often needed to get the bikes back on the road but couldn't afford to replace the expensive plastics. So the 'Streetfighter' concept was born.

I reckon an Aero 8 chassis with only just enough bodywork on it to make it legal would make a flippin' excellent Streetfighter style car.
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 21/07/20 09:27 PM

An interesting sale but tinged with sadness I have always had a soft spot for these cars, we have a beautiful black one in the village I've never seen an ugly Bristol.
It's like this one with a lovely throaty V8 rumble.

[Linked Image]

I guess this may provide an opportunity to ressurect a written off Aero or produce a wonderful special with that great running gear and chassis.

It is such a loss bearing in mind their history in aviation and their importance during both World Wars, a sad day.
Posted By: pandy

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 21/07/20 09:46 PM

It might make sense for MMC to bid on the 8 x plus 8 rolling chassis.

I'd love to have a browse through the archive of designs and drawings.

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 21/07/20 10:03 PM

I'm rather hoping their aircraft building history has gone to a museum for safe keeping, instead of defunct statues occupying space this stuff is of national importance not a flavour of the month.
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 21/07/20 11:38 PM

When I spoke to someone on the Bristol owners club at the NEC, I was told that Bristol didn’t receive one order for the Bullet

Not one

It was stupidly overpriced for a Morgan Aero Plus 8 chassis, BMW Plus 8 engine with a Bristol body
Posted By: Taffmog

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 12:35 AM

Perhaps Morgan could do a +8+, 8 off?
Posted By: Heinz

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 06:01 AM

I've always been very fond of Bristol cars, especially those, as Richard shows above, because they are so wonderfully British, a bit understated on the outside and aristocratic on the inside. Like the Inspector Lynley Mysteries.
Only...with the Bullet, Bristol could have asked somebody if he liked the car. The Bullet may not be contemporary visually, but that's not enough. In my opinion, it hadn't transported anything of what the brand stands for.

The aircraft tradition of the Bristol Aircraft Company lives on today through great milestones in history such as BAC today in RR and BAE Systems if I understand it correctly.

Posted By: IvorMog

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by +8Rich
I'm rather hoping their aircraft building history has gone to a museum for safe keeping, instead of defunct statues occupying space this stuff is of national importance not a flavour of the month.

There is a section of the Bristol Aerospace museum dedicated to the Bristol Aeroplane Company. It's the same museum that has the Concorde on display and makes an excellent day out.

I went there as part of our local MSCC centre trip.

Bristol Aerospace
Posted By: Alistair

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 07:31 AM

I totally missed that they had used an Aero8 chassis for that model. I guess it would have made sense to buy the now old chassis from Morgan to put into production given the V8 history their cars have. Until they also run out of V8's of course.
Posted By: Heinz

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 07:45 AM

Were the Plus8 and Aero8 farewell models based on Bristol stock?

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by IvorMog
Originally Posted by +8Rich

There is a section of the Bristol Aerospace museum dedicated to the Bristol Aeroplane Company. It's the same museum that has the Concorde on display and makes an excellent day out.

I went there as part of our local MSCC centre trip.

Bristol Aerospace

Thanks, that one is on the list to visit one day.
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Heinz
...The Bullet may not be contemporary visually, but that's not enough. In my opinion, it hadn't transported anything of what the brand stands for.

I agree, Bristol just didn't seem to understand that their heritage was their biggest asset. Combined with a sales department that was legendary for its unfriendliness, I can well believe that they took no orders.
Posted By: Peter J

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Heinz
Were the Plus8 and Aero8 farewell models based on Bristol stock?

Not quite, Morgan had transmission/power units reserved for Bristol, these were used for the farewell models.
It would be enormous fun to get a "special" built on one of the rolling chassis that Bristol actually bought, and which are for sale.
Something along the lines of SP1, or perhaps a pickup....
Posted By: Image

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 10:07 AM

Or that black beetleback rendering in the Morgan Specials thread brought to life in metal.

K

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 10:50 AM

A pickup gets my vote. An Aero nose with a flatbed back (to put the concrete for traction) or even a stepside.

Of course the more mechanically minded here might like to buy one and cut the back off to make into a trailer for their travelling holidays? Sell the engine and transmission etc for spares. There seems to be a running order for sumps around here....

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by RedThree
Bit sad really, but if you're keen on Bristol cars or even fancy some Aero8 rolling chassis;
Bristol Sale

The irony. They also have businesses up for sale on the site. One of them is Coys. Ouch.
Posted By: John V6

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 03:58 PM

That is so sad. wouldn't it be great if MMC bough the tubs to make a limited run of +8s
Posted By: Hawki

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 22/07/20 05:01 PM

It would. I bet they could charge top money for a very limited edition
Posted By: David_E

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 23/07/20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Alistair
Originally Posted by RedThree
Bristol Sale

The irony. They also have businesses up for sale on the site. One of them is Coys. Ouch.

Coys going into receivership meant that I could phone up HMRC and persuade them to let me have a NOVA for the 350 Guzzi prototype I had bought at a Coys auction, though I had to pay them VAT on the purchase price. Previously HMRC had told me I had to get it via the auctioneers, who just gave me the runaround.

Registration forms now in, fingers crossed.
Posted By: mph

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 24/07/20 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Alistair

They also have businesses up for sale on the site. One of them is Coys. Ouch.

Second time for Coys to go bust. I hope they manage to get rid of the rotten core this time around.
Posted By: sospan

Re: One for Serious Bristol Fans - 24/07/20 12:33 PM

My dad was a coach builder and loved the cars. A local dentist had one, the 400, I think, and he would get my dad to go over it annually. The workmanship of Bristol was one thing he liked.
He also rebuilt a Morgan in the late 1950’s and the hand built idiosyncrasies (aka built in variations) made the job enjoyable.
© 2021 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News