Talk Morgan

Changing BMW

Posted By: Chilliblu

Changing BMW - 22/08/20 01:24 PM

Well I have now got bored of my 2019 5 series BMW and I no longer need all the room. I am thinking of moving to something smaller maybe a Lexus RC300H. Anyone on here got any experience of these?

Lexus always seem to do well in reliability and dealer reviews and I am sure they will be well built. I don't need a sports car ( I have the Morgan). This car will be for commuting and holidays. Kids have both now left home (Hooray) so space in the back is no longer important. I did consider a Porsche Cayman but not impressed with the car or its image and probably a bit too sporty for my needs. Any alternative suggestions? I have had Mercedes and BMW for the past few years so fancied a change.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Changing BMW - 22/08/20 02:05 PM

Try a

Volvo S60
Cayman
Arteon R
Posted By: PeterG

Re: Changing BMW - 22/08/20 02:28 PM

Alfa Stelvio Quadrifoglio, had one for the last 18 months. Best tintop I've ever owned. Run various Lexus vehicles at work for a number of years, never had an issue with any of them, all 25-30k mileage p.a. vehicles as well.
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Changing BMW - 22/08/20 02:33 PM

Ran a CT200 F Sport a few years ago for 2yrs, yawn, couldn't wait for the lease to expire VERY bland drive & that wining CVT that forces the engine to over rev, ohhh, think again please
Posted By: RobCol

Re: Changing BMW - 22/08/20 03:11 PM

I drove the Lexus UH250H hybrid recently and liked it. Its the 4th generation hybrid apparently and I didn't find the CVT too whiney. We are also used to BMWs and the Lexus is very comfortable and totally different to drive. Worth driving and seeing if you like the RC 300H, you can usually tell straight away if you like a car.

I then drove a new RX300 H and it was dreadful in comparison. Whiney, heavy and lifeless in feel and a sort of wallowey ride. After half a mile in the passenger seat my wife said turn back I dont like it! It was meant to be for her but she didnt even want to drive it.
Posted By: Max5

Re: Changing BMW - 22/08/20 07:34 PM

I have run 2 x IS300h's and currently have an NX300h. They do everything it says on the tin but you need to learn how to drive a hybrid to get the best out of them. Lexus ownership and driving experience summed up in a single word - soothing.
Posted By: Dean-Royal

Re: Changing BMW - 23/08/20 11:49 AM

Lexus ⛤⛤⛤⛤⛤
Posted By: Marmota

Re: Changing BMW - 23/08/20 01:19 PM

If you were tempted by the Porsche Cayman, the Jaguar F-Type is a stunning machine. But yes too sporty for a daily basis.

Lexus is top. Excellent. But personally I don't like the feeling of their gearbox (the CVT).

Mazdas are really nice. A CX-3 or CX-5 if you need something bigger are one of the best options price/quality/design...

Volvo was mentioned already.
Posted By: howard

Re: Changing BMW - 23/08/20 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chilliblu
Well I have now got bored of my 2019 5 series BMW and I no longer need all the room. I am thinking of moving to something smaller maybe a Lexus RC300H. Anyone on here got any experience of these?

Lexus always seem to do well in reliability and dealer reviews and I am sure they will be well built. I don't need a sports car ( I have the Morgan). This car will be for commuting and holidays. Kids have both now left home (Hooray) so space in the back is no longer important. I did consider a Porsche Cayman but not impressed with the car or its image and probably a bit too sporty for my needs. Any alternative suggestions? I have had Mercedes and BMW for the past few years so fancied a change.

How about a Jag? I had an F type for a year and really liked it apart from the seat which sadly I couldnt live with. But that was me with a damaged hip rather than the car, which certainly was a fun driving machine. Different inside and pretty outside. So how about an XE?
Posted By: Marmota

Re: Changing BMW - 23/08/20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by howard

How about a Jag? I had an F type for a year and really liked it apart from the seat which sadly I couldnt live with. But that was me with a damaged hip rather than the car, which certainly was a fun driving machine. Different inside and pretty outside. So how about an XE?

Personally, I'm a fan of JLR. Got my first Jag (an XJ) in 2010 and changed for a second one (F-Pace) four years ago. Never, never had a single problem with them. And technology is fantastic.

An XE is a superb choice. I would say that for an injured hip the best would be to choose a car a little higher, like the E-Pace. But despite it's a Jaguar, it's the one in the range I personally like the less, because it's not a pure aluminum monocoque. So it's heavy (it weights as much as my F-Pace!) for its size. Because of this, I would go for the F-Pace directly. The XE is 4678 mm long, and the F-Pace is 4731 mm, so just 53 mm longer, which is nothing. But hey! The F-Pace has 650 liters boot!

I would suggest an F-Pace with, at least, the 240 bhp diesel or the 250 bhp petrol. And if you can afford a bigger engine, the V6 3.0 diesel is a beast. It's the one I have. 300 bhp and 700 Nm torque. It never stops pushing... impressive engine that makes this car a true missile.

Re: Changing BMW - 23/08/20 06:23 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I am trying to avoid a diesel so petrol of hybrid will be top of the list. A few votes for Jaguar but I had my fingers burnt with a JLR product a couple of years ago. Lots of issues with the car and even more with the dealer. so I will be avoiding them.

I think I will test drive the Lexus it seems to be a bit of a Marmite car. If that does not go well then time for a re-think. possibly back to Mercedes?

Re: Changing BMW - 24/08/20 01:41 PM

Another thought what about an Audi A5. Anyone here got feedback on those?

Re: Changing BMW - 24/08/20 06:42 PM

Having made the first tentaive car shopping steps I called in at the Kia dealer I was passing to look at the Niro. The all electric one. I cant say that the car itself grabbed me - it was fairly generic - but the idea of the full electric did for sure. The number of days per year when I do 200 miles can be counted on one hand and the number when I want to do 300 on the fingers of one foot. In truth the overwhelming motoring I do is local and maybe up to 100 miles per day. The idea of coming to my car in a morning to find it fuelled up for the 270 mile range they have is very attractive.

The issue is that even after the government grant its maybe £5k more expensive than the diesel. And I would feel it necessary to go PCP ( or whatever the initials are) to give me a guaranteed part ex price.

The dog requires either an estate or hatch or otherwise I would go for the small Tesla for sure.

Re: Changing BMW - 24/08/20 06:43 PM

Having made the first tentaive car shopping steps I called in at the Kia dealer I was passing to look at the Niro. The all electric one. I cant say that the car itself grabbed me - it was fairly generic - but the idea of the full electric did for sure. The number of days per year when I do 200 miles can be counted on one hand and the number when I want to do 300 on the fingers of one foot. In truth the overwhelming motoring I do is local and maybe up to 100 miles per day. The idea of coming to my car in a morning to find it fuelled up for the 270 mile range they have is very attractive.

The issue is that even after the government grant its maybe £5k more expensive than the diesel. And I would feel it necessary to go PCP ( or whatever the initials are) to give me a guaranteed part ex price.

The dog requires either an estate or hatch or otherwise I would go for the small Tesla for sure.

Another thought what about an Audi A5. Anyone here got feedback on those?

VW in drag. Why pay the extra?
Posted By: Mkiss

Re: Changing BMW - 24/08/20 11:25 PM

A5 - there are a lot of them...
Coupe, convertible, sportsback.

Especially the sportsback is a fine GT cruising car with full range of engine options from CNG to RS5 with quite a lot of diesel engines inbetween.
So whatever character of car you like;)

As I am changing company cars every 3 to 4 months I have had a range of A5.

What kind of engine are you interested in?
Posted By: Perry_P_M3W

Re: Changing BMW - 25/08/20 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by howard

VW in drag. Why pay the extra?

Not quite Howard.

The chassis architecture that the A5 is built on isn't shared with VW aside from the Touareg. wink Not really an architecture but more of a building block methodology. It's used across most of groups longitudinal engine set ups and stretches right up to the Lamborghini Urus wink Good company to keep IMHO
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Changing BMW - 25/08/20 06:46 AM

Perry given the sharing of parts you mention I have often wondered why someone would choose to pay the premium for the A5 over a Skoda model as they have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years.

As Howard mentions the Kia/Hyundai/Toyota layer is now so capable that I am having trouble seeing the difference other than brand perception and it's reflection on me as people see me get out. The differences within the fold at VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda are becoming even more blurred.

Only meant in an inquisitive manner do you feel there is really still a difference in the A5 vs say a Skoda Octavia.
Same engine range in them 1.5 TSFi, 2L D in various tunes etc.
Same Audio/IT with different buttons
Same options for everything

I don't see the interior materials being significantly different these days.

Do you feel there is a real difference?

Re: Changing BMW - 25/08/20 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mkiss
A5 - there are a lot of them...
Coupe, convertible, sportsback.

Especially the sportsback is a fine GT cruising car with full range of engine options from CNG to RS5 with quite a lot of diesel engines inbetween.
So whatever character of car you like;)

As I am changing company cars every 3 to 4 months I have had a range of A5.

What kind of engine are you interested in?

Hi
Probably the 40TSI. I think petrol will be preferred over diesel at the moment.

Re: Changing BMW - 25/08/20 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Alistair
Perry given the sharing of parts you mention I have often wondered why someone would choose to pay the premium for the A5 over a Skoda model as they have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years.

As Howard mentions the Kia/Hyundai/Toyota layer is now so capable that I am having trouble seeing the difference other than brand perception and it's reflection on me as people see me get out. The differences within the fold at VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda are becoming even more blurred.

Only meant in an inquisitive manner do you feel there is really still a difference in the A5 vs say a Skoda Octavia.
Same engine range in them 1.5 TSFi, 2L D in various tunes etc.
Same Audio/IT with different buttons
Same options for everything

I don't see the interior materials being significantly different these days.

Do you feel there is a real difference?

Don't want to get all techie and geek out on this but you can't compare Audi and Skoda whatsoever - aside from A1/A3 but even there it's only slight underpinnings that are shared from an engineering point of view.

VAG does share engines but from there, it's down to what architecture it's fitted to. A Skoda has a transverse engine layout where as Audi is longitudinal. 4 wheel drive systems are also unique to each engine layout. As far as tech, Audi's is there own set up and not just buttons whereas VW has their own electrical systems. The only Audi that shares a VW sourced system is the A1. VW on the other hand use a form of Audi's navigation/infotainment in the T-Reg.

In can be a tad confusing. But the often easily made comment that an Audi is a dressed up VW is far from the truth and having worked behind the scenes, there isn't much to compare really.

Please note, this is speaking against products from A4 and up. While the A3 is much aligned to the new Golf, Audi doesn't simply take what VW builds but rather fits their own tune across all key systems.

JLR on the other hand are hands down the ones to look at when comparing what is hared as it's almost all shared!

Re: Changing BMW - 25/08/20 11:40 AM

I'm also located in Cheshire and I have a Boxster, so drive etc will be the same as a Cayman. More than happy to meet up and let you poke around, go for a drive etc. A bit better than having a sales person over your shoulder wink Not sure if you have driven one of the recent ones but it's simply amazing just how comfortable of a car it is! Mine has the adaptive suspension and simply glides down the road. Feel free to PM me if care to take a closer look. I've also go good relations with Porsche Chester and can help arrange a Cayman for a few hours for you.

Re: Changing BMW - 26/08/20 10:51 AM

Thanks for the offer Perry. I am going to look at the Lexus first but if I don't get very far I may well come back to you.

Re: Changing BMW - 29/08/20 04:17 PM

Well went to look at an Audi A3 but the new one with a 2-litre engine is not out yet. So I thought I would go to the VW dealers and look at a MK7 Golf GTI Performance.

Surprise surprise I loved the golf. I shocked myself. I can trade my BMW in and for very little extra I can have a 6 month old 2,000 mile GTI Performance 245bhp. The new GTI is not out yet but looking at the Mk8 golf I am not impressed with the new digital cabin. I may be old fashioned but I still like buttons

. I am going back with my better half tomorrow for a proper test drive. Who knows I may soon by driving a Golf!!!
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Changing BMW - 29/08/20 06:08 PM

Good luck with the test drive, if the Golf GTI is anywhere near the performance and fun that my good ladies 192bhp Polo GTI is you are in for a treat it's an absolute hoot to drive and very understated which we like.
Posted By: Cat302

Re: Changing BMW - 30/08/20 09:34 AM

Have you looked at the Hyundai i30n Fastback performance. A very capable car.
Posted By: Burgundymog

Re: Changing BMW - 30/08/20 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cat302
Have you looked at the Hyundai i30n Fastback performance. A very capable car.

A couple of years ago our company switched from Ford to Hyundai, that didn't last long like the Hyundai's
Posted By: Cat302

Re: Changing BMW - 30/08/20 11:09 AM

A few years back I might agree, This maker as come a long way in recent years, the Hyundai i30N performance should not be confused with the std. i30 a very different vehicle. should more just take a look at the i30N and the i30N fastback.

Re: Changing BMW - 30/08/20 06:10 PM

Went to test drive the GTI and loved it. Bought the car there and then picking it up on Friday. Big change from BMW but lots of fun. can't wait to get driving a car with a bit of a character. BMW great car very smooth cruiser but not exciting.
Posted By: Mkiss

Re: Changing BMW - 31/08/20 07:19 AM

Good solution, if you want the character.
A5 is smooth GT as long as you go for at least the S5.

Have loads of fun with the Golf!
Posted By: Burgundymog

Re: Changing BMW - 31/08/20 09:35 AM

Went to test drive the GTI and loved it. Bought the car there and then picking it up on Friday. Big change from BMW but lots of fun. can't wait to get driving a car with a bit of a character. BMW great car very smooth cruiser but not exciting.

Hope yours last, ours fell apart very quickly.

Re: Changing BMW - 31/08/20 10:16 AM

Congrats on the GTI! I've had my fair share of them in different flavours - all were faultless and a joy to drive. As Clarkson once said, it's the one car for all men - or something to that effect.

Enjoy!

P
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Changing BMW - 31/08/20 11:41 AM

Congratulations, enjoy your fun woohoo thumbs
© 2021 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News