Talk Morgan

Anyone got a leccy car

Posted By: howard

Anyone got a leccy car - 19/11/20 08:38 PM

The family Merc is beginning to give bits of trouble - nothing major but our alternative transport is two two seaters and a bike. So Merc problems are difficult for us. Been putting off the replace in the hope of next going fully electric so now trying to decide whether to go for a cheap interim small hatch / estate and go leccy in say 4 years or go for an early leccy car now.

Our use is overwhelmingly for 30 to 50 mile journeys with maybe 3 times a year visit to my daughter in Surrey say 150 miles each way. Overnight stays allow for overnight charging

Tried the Kia Nero this afternoon and was quite impressed. Nice to drive. Suspension is a bit hard. Excellent build quality. Reasonable performance. Comfortable and beautifully quiet. But pricey at £38k. 7 year guarantee and a nearby dealer. And it has a rear compartment for the woofta.

Any views? Any experience? Heard stories of lots of charging points being broken
Posted By: Bensdad

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 19/11/20 10:02 PM

I dipped my foot in the EV pool a couple of years back, with a BMW 225XE - 20 miles at best per charge but with a cracking petrol engine to go with it. Most of our journeys are just a few miles - well within the battery range. So impressed was I that I quickly moved to a BMW I3 REX. 80 - 120 battery miles, depending on conditions, plus a 600 cc scooter engine to provide mobile charge when needed. A funky design, particularly the rear doors and seats, which at first impressed, but but then annoyed. Ok when just me and my wife, but when you add rear seat passengers it becomes a bit of a faff re. ingress and egress; more than once I part throttled my wife with her own seatbelt when opening the door behind her, due to the odd mounting arrangement. Plenty of room for a dog, though, with the rear seats down. Long story short, I am back to a 225XE, more spacious, more powerful, no range anxiety (which I experienced even with the range extender on the i3) and non wife threatening. Conscience might push me fully electric when I can see a real world 300 miles in a car the size of the 225Xe. On the other hand I might stick with my XE and spend the money on another Morgan.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 19/11/20 10:06 PM

If you covered the Kia badge with a Merc badge would you know the difference? It's quite remarkable how far they have come in the last forty years since the Rio graced our shores.

Use the Ferrari to go to Surrey then have a laugh with a broad range of leccy things.

Mini
Honda (Love that they have got their Mojo back)

No reason you cant have some fun.
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 19/11/20 10:38 PM

I buy cars for a purpose. So for weekend fun I have the Morgans. For long distance touring I have the Morgans.

If I need more holiday space I have the diesel Golf . Day to day a Polo GTI.

An electric or hybrid doesn't fit any of my needs really. I would rather enjoy another Polo GTI, or similar, and I'm now thinking what's the best time to get a new one. Maybe 2024.
Posted By: Taffmog

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 19/11/20 10:44 PM

I have a friend with a Nissan Leaf, he's made up with it. Worth a look maybe? Says he with three V8's!
Posted By: Mkiss

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 19/11/20 10:55 PM

Had an e-tron for summer - will not be the last time for sure!
Have a frequent 150km trip that works perfect both directions.
Now it is followed by an A6 hybrid - rather stressful thing with only 50 km of e-range.
Never had range anxiety with the e-tron as it indicates range very accurately.

No need to worry about the e-thing. But I fully agree: the get more and more and better and better each year - bloody thing;-I

Posted By: Stevo666

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 20/11/20 07:55 AM

Had a Nissan Leaf a couple of years back for 18 months. Great Car. Had a 90 mile round trip each day and it would just manage it....
2 years ago there was a lack pf infrastructure and I started to suffer from range anxiety...!

Due to the corporation tax breaks and benefit in kind reductions, did look at a range of EV's, from the Zoe up to the Tesla X (everybody should try and get a test drive of a Tesla X or P etc as the performance is astonishing...)

Overall I found the Kia Nero the best value for money - especially with the real life range of 270 miles and 38k cost.

Charging points - there's a lot more of them now and with the GPS mapping tools a lot easier to find/see if they are working/occupied. Do you have off street parking at home? Fit a charger at home and you won't be needing to worry about on street charging anywhere else.

Decided to keep the Diesel Jeep for a bit longer and purchased an M3W instead cheers

I personally don't agree with hybrid cars - they have their place but...very limited range and normally an old design/poor fuel consumption engine.

With the journeys that you do, I'd really say go for an EV!

Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 20/11/20 08:33 AM

Great first post Bensdad. Welcome to TM.
Back to original subject: Howard, send RobsMog88 a PM with the same question if he doesn't appear here in a day or two. He's been running EVs for a while. smile
Posted By: Rovert

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 20/11/20 08:41 AM

Not relevant to Howards question really, but should I need a different shopping trolly at the moment it would probabaly be a second hand I3. (If grid connected vehicle experiments here progress then that may bring the day closer).
Posted By: mph

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 20/11/20 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Alistair
If you covered the Kia badge with a Merc badge would you know the difference? It's quite remarkable how far they have come in the last forty years since the Rio graced our shores.

I'll second that. Kia and Hyundai have some very interesting cars right now. Not all of them are available in the UK unfortunately.

Bought a Kia Stinger recently and really enjoying it.

When the inevitable happens I'll be looking at a Kia again.

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 20/11/20 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
Great first post Bensdad. Welcome to TM.
Back to original subject: Howard, send RobsMog88 a PM with the same question if he doesn't appear here in a day or two. He's been running EVs for a while. smile

Thanks Graham - have done so.
Posted By: TheCustomer

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 20/11/20 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rovert
Not relevant to Howards question really, but should I need a different shopping trolly at the moment it would probably be a second hand I3. (If grid connected vehicle experiments here progress then that may bring the day closer).

Yep, that.

The i3 is said to be a hoot to drive. Get a used one with a range extender (aka petrol engine) and you don't have to worry about the shocking state of the charging network.

I've a plug in my garage for overnight charges on the i8 (which shares a lot of powertrain components with the i3, including the batteries)
I try to park & charge whenever I can:
- the on street lamp post chargers aren't yet 'electric only' so are almost always iced
- car park chargers vary hugely, depending on the supplier.
Check what's in the areas you'd drive to using zapmap app, and look at the user comments to see what's working
- motorway charging generally works, if you have the right app: things are moving quite quickly towards app based use, rather than cards.

Will

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 20/11/20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Alistair

Not really. Possibly better build quality in the Kia but flimsier construction that the tank like Merc.
Posted By: milligoon

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 20/11/20 03:09 PM

Howard when you can, just test drive a range of EV's, see what suits you. I didn't buy a Tesla as they don't do it for me I bought a small battery EV the Honda e. It suits me for my commute to work, comfortable entry and exit which is prime concern for me these days, have the family tank (Volvo) for those times when well be able to go away again. I only charge at home and at Tesco when shopping so public charging isn't really a thing that concerns me at the moment.

It's very difficult advising anyone to buy a particular car, there is a lot more choice at the moment and even more coming next year. You could see if your localish VW dealer has an ID.3 you could test drive?

Yes they are more expensive than ICE cars, there is a secondhand market but it's a little pricey at the moment.

Just be careful if you test drive a Porker Taycan

https://youtu.be/cGcIFgAzJR8
Posted By: Stephen888

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 20/11/20 04:09 PM

The Sunday Times colour supplement ran an EV comparison article last weekend. Recommendations.
BEST FOR RANGE IN A SMALL CAR RANGE Renault Zoe 239 miles
JAPANESE STYLE Honda e 137 miles
BEST FOR PRACTICALITY Kia Soul EV 280 miles
BEST FOR LOOKS Mazda MX30 130 miles - I think definitely the most stylish £26k - March delivery
BEST FOR PRICE MGZS EV ?? miles but the cheapest
(or if the wallet will stretch Polestar 2, Audi etron. XC40, Taycan)

I personally have no interest in one at this time +8 for summers, sunny day and European travel, MB GLE43 for UK daily drive and 4 up distance.
Posted By: TigerTim

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 20/11/20 04:55 PM

If you'd rather try one without committing then I can recommend ONTO (used to be EVezy). https://on.to/ You can register and say which of their cars you would like and then wait for one to become available. It's a subscription type system where you pay a monthly fee while you have the car and can hand it back or change it at any time. All motoring costs such as insurance, servicing etc are included.
I chose a BMW i3 and got it in April (I think a lot of people handed theirs back at start of lockdown). It's been really good. I charge it with a standard lead out of my front window from a 3 pin plug and it takes all day to fully charge. The performance is astonishing - the acceleration is 7.3 seconds 0-60mph and actually feels faster than my 1980 Plus8!
A good way of dipping your toe in the electric water.

Re: Anyone got a leccy car - 22/11/20 08:27 PM

Thanks Milligoon for your suggestions but we have rather backed ourselves into a corner and need the EV to be our "big car" for longer distances as well. The other two vehicles in the family are both 2 seaters and cant currently be changed for reasons I wont go into here.Doesnt help that the EV has also to be either hatch or estate for the dog.
© 2021 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News