Talk Morgan

Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin

Posted By: Jens

Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 15/06/22 03:45 PM

Not all of the noble prewar Aston Martins are in designer garages...

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=733301308017891
Posted By: DavidR

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 15/06/22 05:54 PM

Lovely film Jens, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: brownbaker

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 15/06/22 06:25 PM

What a great chap,hope the Aston does not get restored !
Thanks for sharing !
Interesting place he lives also !
Posted By: Barry13

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 15/06/22 06:29 PM

I know how he feels i sold my mg midget after 25 years and moved to morgan . In another 50 years there will be a film like this about a morgan lovely film
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 15/06/22 08:15 PM

Thanks Jens, that is a great video and what a grounded owner, the patina is just perfect on that car.
I hope he enjoys the car for many years to come.
Posted By: nick w

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 15/06/22 09:02 PM

What a great film. Thanks very much for posting. Proper car!
Nick
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 16/06/22 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by nick w
What a great film. Thanks very much for posting. Proper car!
Nick

+1 This is what car ownership should be about.
Posted By: Spanner Juggler

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 16/06/22 09:03 AM

Wonderful, I liked the way he affectionately patted the scuttle, reminds me of my dad who always patted the car after a run and said ‘thank you Betsie’ started with his Ford Y Model and finished with his last Ford Focus 🤣.

Charming film.

BR
Colin
Posted By: lowebird

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 16/06/22 09:44 AM

What a great film and a charming chap. I must admit that I couldn't live with it in that condition but I am well aware of the history caught up in every nook and crany. I saw a pre war AM the other week at my local Lagonda expert www. Davidwall-wroxham.co.uk and it had been completely rebuilt and looked brilliant, much more my cup of tea
Posted By: Burgundymog

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 16/06/22 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Spanner Juggler
Wonderful, I liked the way he affectionately patted the scuttle, reminds me of my dad who always patted the car after a run and said ‘thank you Betsie’ started with his Ford Y Model and finished with his last Ford Focus 🤣.

Charming film.

BR
Colin

Charming film.

BR
Colin

Charming film.

BR
Colin

I had a Y model Ford when I was a lad paid £15 for it then someone gave me another which I put in a lock up and used for spares. Sold it for a tenner when the big ends went, I looked it up recently and it's still on the road !!!
Posted By: Luddite

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 16/06/22 01:06 PM

Charming film.

BR
Colin

Not being on Facebook and not wanting to be a part of it`s processes, I did not get to see rhe vid, but I did like the tale of your dad`s interaction with his cars Colin...(-:

Seems we have evolved into a society that takes so much for granted, and which seems very different from the expectations of the parents of the baby boomers, but then I guess that is just down to natural evolutionary processes... Being a selective Luddite it seems I tend to be a tad resistant to some aspects of evolution, and more than happy with an old carb fed +8, bought as a simple machine that could hopefully be repaired and maintained by a simple person like me.

Typing of evolution it seems logical that quite a few of the folk who used to buy Trads were also happy to perform their own maintenance tasks and more and I guess all the processes of digitisation and emission regulations just made life that bit more expensive and complex when it came to resolving the expectedd foibles of the output of a small motor manufacturer..I guess the ageing process of owners also plays a part, typing of one who`s tools seem to be gathering cobwebs and even a degree of corrosion with the passage of time.... As for the old Mog, I suspect it may be a bit like the cockroaches and still running around when the more complex machinery gives up the ghost for any of the multitudes of reasons they can fail in time..?

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 16/06/22 01:13 PM

George - you don't have to be a Facebook member to view that delightful video - just click on the link, you won't perish in hell probably laugh2

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 16/06/22 01:21 PM

What a location. I can't find an island near Glastonbury on maps? Anyone know?
Nick
Posted By: Spanner Juggler

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 16/06/22 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by +8Rich
George - you don't have to be a Facebook member to view that delightful video - just click on the link, you won't perish in hell probably laugh2

Correct, I am not on Facebag either, worked for me. George, I once asked my dad if it were true we used to leave Birmingham in the early hours and drive in the Y Model to visit relatives in Aberystwyth for the day, returning late at night. He said it was totally true and we did it many times in the Y, then an E93A then finally a 100E (he was a Ford man all his life). He reminded me that owning a car was a privilege and even in pre motorway days it was a joy to ‘have a day out’, we were apparently lifted from our beds as it must have been the middle of the night when we set off 🤣.

BR
Colin
Posted By: lowebird

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 16/06/22 02:25 PM

I would think quite a few of us on here would recognise that Colin. We didn't have a car for a long time but went everywhere in the motor bike and side car, quite a comon thing back in the '50's. How my Dad sat astride that bike ( a Panther 600 I seem to recall ) all the way down into deepest Cornwall, not speaking to anyone and navigating on his own I can't imagine.
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 16/06/22 02:33 PM

Great little film, love the whine of the straight cut gears thumbs

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 17/06/22 04:16 PM

Isle of Beckery ,site of old tannery !

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 17/06/22 05:23 PM

Details and history..

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 17/06/22 09:25 PM

Thanks
Posted By: howard

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 18/06/22 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Barry13
I know how he feels i sold my mg midget after 25 years and moved to morgan . In another 50 years there will be a film like this about a morgan lovely film

I sold our Stag after 30 years ownership but I didnt feel at all like that about it. laugh

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 01/09/22 08:52 AM

The Aston is being Auctioned by Bonhams estimate 200 to 250 .
Posted By: Mkiss

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 04/09/22 07:15 AM

Quite sad to read...
Posted By: Heinz

Re: Man's lifelong love for a prewar Aston Martin - 04/09/22 12:04 PM

Thank you Jens for sharing!
© 2022 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News