Talk Morgan

Boxter Experience

Posted By: Peter J

Boxter Experience - 27/07/22 03:13 PM

Is there anyone here who has had ownership experience of a Porsche Boxster, second series (2012-2016)?
The Tesla is going.....as soon as the Morgan is repaired.... and I'm thinking of either a nearly new MX 5 or a 2016 Boxster...

Yes, I know a Boxster or MX 5 isn't really a substitute, but I've drunk from the fountain of eternal youth (aka the road to zero carbon) and I really don't like the taste. So I'm going to stay wedded to ICE just as long as it is possible.
I'm also offended by the engineering logic that requires a 450kg battery pack to be carried.
I also think that under the idiosyncratic Mr Musk Tesla may have peaked.

Peter
Posted By: Julian BB

Re: Boxter Experience - 27/07/22 04:05 PM

I've owned a couple of Boxsters along with a few 911's.
Boxsters are close to perfect.......IMHO
German build quality and reliability, 2 boots, all the power you could reasonably use in the real world, amazing handling and convertible. What's not to like........
If it goes wrong it will be expensive/very expensive, but that's probably true of all modern cars, but if you get one from a main dealer you get a 2 year warranty on a used car!!!!
I've been up to the porsche experience centre at Silverstone as a guest quite a few times and driven Boxsters on their track, they really come in to their own there, the balance is amazing.

However...........

A mate of mine very recently had exactly the same dilemma, admittedly he was looking at a slightly older Boxster though.
He bought the MX5.......
He got an absolutely ridiculous deal that he couldn't turn down on an ex demo car from a Mazda dealer.
It's nice......but......The Boxster is better, he knows that, but the deal on a much newer car was un-turndown-able.....

Get the Boxster, you'll probably end up getting rid of the plus 8...........
Posted By: mph

Re: Boxter Experience - 27/07/22 04:16 PM

I owned a Boxster S for a while.

Highly recommended - one of my favorite cars.
Posted By: Heinz

Re: Boxter Experience - 27/07/22 05:10 PM

If it should be a car with enormous driving fun as a lightweight and if the road handling and fun on the B roads is the first priority, and if the subjective feeling of being quite great fast on the road is emotionally important, then from my point of view it would immediately be a Mazda MX5 ND with 2 liter engine and 186 hp. (The older 2 liter version had 160 hp). But...it's not just 26 hp more. It is a completely meticulously and lovingly rebuilt machine with outstanding revving ability. The old 160 hp was simply taken over on the ordinary Mazda 3 because they didn't have time for a sport specific 2 liter engine yet. Only the 1.5 liter was from the beginning sport specific tuned to the MX5. But it is too weak for touring with two people and luggage.
Even if you are thinking about a Boxter, give the MX5 a test drive chance. The Boxter, however, is again so big and fast and "safe" and „matured“ that the many beautiful country roads can become absolutely boring if you do not drive much too fast against the rules. In this case, driving according to the law, surprisingly the mid-engine concept turns into something very boring because you feel and "experience" curves even less than with an MX5 with front engine and rear-wheel drive. I know it well from my Elise, it just irons curves straight.
There is a single point of concern with the MX5, it is the passenger footwell, but dependent of how tall you are both (leg length) it is irrelevant. The build quality and that of the interior is top notch. My son-in-law and daughter have their ND MX5 since 5 years (still with the old 160hp engine) and they are as thrilled as at the first day. A great combination for day trips but also for two weeks in Italy because the car is fatigue free on the long haul and mature enough. Mazda does not advertise it so loudly but in ICE engines they are world number 1 and the most innovative manufacturer.
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Boxter Experience - 27/07/22 05:36 PM

Don't rush in until you have had a play with a Super3 smile is all I shall say innocent

After the Muskmobile it'll be like being back in a Tiger woohoo just not a tandem arrangement grin2
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Boxter Experience - 27/07/22 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by mph
I owned a Boxster S for a while.

Highly recommended - one of my favourite cars.

Yup.
Trouble is, they are so competent, on ordinary roads they can be boring! Need to go out on track now and then to get the most out of them. However, lots of luggage room, great for long distance touring, which was one of the design requirements. Sue loved it as a passenger.
Mine was a 986S, 2001 (so earlier than you are looking at Peter). Would I have another? Yes!
Posted By: dmh

Re: Boxter Experience - 27/07/22 05:50 PM

We have had four MK4 MX5’s - quite brilliant - the only negative as mentioned earlier, is passenger footwell space as apparently the engine management kit lurks beneath the forward carpet!

No problem for passengers shorter than six foot - and even then OK for all but long journeys.

Hood down takes less than five seconds.

Good Luck

Re: Boxster Experience - 27/07/22 05:55 PM

Gentlemen, thanks for your thoughts, and wisdom.

Tomorrow I'm looking at, and possibly driving, this: Boxster

It is affordable... the colour is not white, but a pastel light grey. Well specified by the first owner.

More news tomorrow...
Posted By: Max5

Re: Boxster Experience - 27/07/22 06:06 PM

Peter - the 718 you are going to look at is a 4 cylinder turbo. Boxsters in the age range you were looking for (981s) will all be 6 cylinder and many feel that while the 4 cylinder is potent, it lacks real character and sounds more like a Subaru than a Porsche. I note also that it is PDK and while that transmission is brilliant, I much prefer the involvement you get with a manual. I have gone back from a 981 PDK to a 987 Boxster S (I have also owned two 986 S's among a few 911s). Try a 6 cylinder manual if you can before making a decision.
Posted By: PeterG

Re: Boxter Experience - 27/07/22 06:35 PM

Had a new Boxster S (987) nice car very well put together did about 40k miles in it over 3 years, broke down a few times and needed a flatbed recovery each time. Just sold last year MX5RF which was again a nice car, totally reliable but I struggled with the left leg room on longer journeys and it was a little soulless. Now got an Alpine A110S had it for about 9 months, nice car, jury's out...Tesla Y for commuting/work possibly the worse car I have ever had but saves me a small fortune in fuel which what I tell myself every morning!

Best car is the 3W. Keep the Tesla for awhile and then get a Super 3 or get a well sorted 3W now if you can't wait. thumbs
Posted By: Perry_P_M3W

Re: Boxter Experience - 27/07/22 09:41 PM

Hi Peter,

I've had two 982 gen Boxters and they are hands down one of my fav cars that I've owned to date!

The first was a GTS with the 2.5 and then a Spyder with the 4.0. I much preferred the 2.5. Better gearing, eager engine etc. If you can swing it, try for a 2.5 which comes in the S and the GTS before they moved that to the 4.0.

I do however ask you try and find one with automatic climate control. The one you are looking at has the manual version. Yes, it's a roadster and HVAC to most would seem pointless but trust me when I say that the manual version is horrid. The biggest regret most have is not getting the auto set up.

Other must have options are PASM, Porsches adaptive suspension. It's simply amazing how comfortable the chassis is in Normal setting and dare I say, almost luxury levels. The beautiful thing about Porsche sports cars is that they build the stiffness into the chassis and then let the suspension do it's thing in making it a comfortable ride.

You also want to look for the full leather interior. This gives you door inserts, full leather seats and leather wrapped dash. Once you see one with it, you will wonder why you didn't get it.

Lastly, Crayon - DO IT. I really miss my first one which was in Crayon and it's such a lovely colour.

Good luck,

P
Posted By: Burgundymog

Re: Boxter Experience - 28/07/22 07:51 AM

secondhand Boxster @ 55k secondhand MX5 20k. No brainer MX5 and a secondhand 4/4 with the change.
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: Boxter Experience - 28/07/22 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Burgundymog
secondhand Boxster @ 55k secondhand MX5 20k. No brainer MX5 and a secondhand 4/4 with the change.

+1

grin2
Posted By: John V6

Re: Boxter Experience - 28/07/22 11:00 AM

You cold even get an early roadster
Posted By: Fox Terrier

Re: Boxter Experience - 28/07/22 01:19 PM

I had one from new in 2014. Brilliant car. Swapped it for a 911 a couple of years later; the Boxster beats it everywhere hands down. Makes an unearthly howl when you rag it. Steering is sublime as is the suspension - and I had the standard S. I also had a manual gearbox although the PDK, particularly in the real world, is also great. Rather weirdly, I still prefer the Morgan but would have one as a second car in a shot.
Posted By: Mr.Tennant

Re: Boxter Experience - 29/07/22 03:16 AM

I've owned 4 Porsches and two of which were Boxster
2013 (981) Boxster PDK
2018 (982) 718 Boxster Manual
Great cars and they are slow deprecating so you can have your fun without it costing you too much.

Re: Boxter Experience - 29/07/22 10:28 AM

I drove a 2.0L 2017 with PDK and Sport Chrono Pack yesterday.
Basic upholstery, Bose sound system.

How do Porsche make a car running 19" wheels ride over rubbish roads so well, yet corner as if on rails.
Overall I'm impressed, but will not be changing, because the bog standard seats don't fit me.
Trying a model S with Spots Seats Plus, sitting on the seat in the showroom it was much better.

Driving home in the Tesla, on some of the same roads shows it up for what it is.

The Tesla will go next week, so until Tarka is back it we are a 1 car family. HELP!!
Posted By: nick w

Re: Boxter Experience - 29/07/22 11:12 AM

So what do you mean Peter? Is the suspension too hard on the Tesla, or too soft, steering etc.?
I'd love to hear your feelings about why you don't want to keep it.
Nick
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Boxter Experience - 29/07/22 01:13 PM

Porsche have always been good at making the chassis and suspension mounts strong so the energy goes into the spring/damper and not the body. I remember the 968 Club Sport I had years ago. For a modest power you could make very impressive progress.

As for the seats being a bit naff. Well that's just another reason to have a HUGE options list which they certainly do.

I would go for an S model as the engine is more responsive in the upper range and so much more entertaining to push along.
I would look for a model with the extended leather as it makes the interior feel a lot more Porsche level.
I am not certain I would have a four pot. I love Scobaru's flat four noise but don't want it (reduced) in a Porsche. It needs that smooth six.

Unless the soft top is a must do look at Caymans as they are not as popular and often you can find a better value car as a result.
Posted By: Luddite

Re: Boxter Experience - 29/07/22 01:51 PM

I have never even sat in a Boxter or a Tesla thus I am doing no more than passing time rambling on as opposed to clearing out a slot drain.....!!

Ride comfort.... There was a set of 14 inch Millrace wheels from an early +8 for sale as linked to an ebay add the later dia wheels being 15" with the tyre difference providing the same rolling radius, which seems to suggest that the ride might be more compliant on 14" with larger sidewall tyres...? Porsche did much the same on 911`s of a similar era, going from 15" on the comfort model and to 16" on the sport, while using different shockers for the 15" than for the 16"... I wonder if Morgan might have changed anything in the suspension when they made the decision to go for lower profile tyres..? A change of shocker oil viscosity perhaps..?

I owned a 911 SC with the 15" wheels at the time of the 993 launch and having experienced the 911 SC Sport on 16"as a somewhat stiffer ride, as I walked up to the then new 993, noting the much much lower tyre profile I expected a somewhat jarring ride, given the roads I was about to drive over.... I was most surprised to discover it felt as comfortable and more than my old SC , handling was also greatly improved as was the grunt from low revs... I suspect Porsche have learned a thing or two over the years when it comes to making improvements to the way sports cars handle..?

I suspect the later Aero based Morgans have improved suspension over the Trads and perhaps much more so the CX, thus not quite the rather vintage cart spring and sliding pillar that I have enjoyed over many a year on my old +8, even though it has the "advantage" of Koni shockers front and rear...That typed the +8 fitted my ideal of sports car fun for many a year.. Still does on warm dry days..(-:

I feel fortunate to also own a Porsche 991 at this time, I am told it has an engine, though it is nowhere to be seen when the lid is lifted to try to find it, only to expose a couple of fans and caps for oil and water top up.. Perhaps Porsches half way house strategy to prepare it`s customers for concealed electric motors as a means of rapid propulsion instead of engines.. After all who gets excited at the sight of electric motors and associated circuitry, compared to polished rocker covers and carbs or throttle bodies... OK. OK, so I have been rather impressed with electric motors, their uses, controls and performance other than in the automotive realm.. Sigh!

Tesla with it`s GDI screen and selectable f*rty seat sounds, even a visual of a log burner, yeah ballistic as it might be and despite all it`s toys, perhaps even push button selectable exhaust roar of any supercar you care to chose being available.... Is all much more than a step too far for this old Luddite. It would seem to be a compliant transport system and a computer system on wheels that as with other electric vehicles I could live with if it were efficient affordable and proven to be the right way forward to make he planet more liveable for future generations...

Yeah the 991 too has loads of digital decisions made for the old duffer I have become, with switchable actions to select a tad more sport when in the mood, the exhaust baffles are switchable for a more fruity note, and it even has induction roar fed into the cabin to feed ones yoofull desires... (-:

For sure I would have preferred an air cooled 911 but I suspect that the advanced technology of the 991 while capable of being more of a sports car than I might be able to handle with it`s unnecessary 400 HP, yet my good lady is more than happy to drive it, thus it better matches our all round requirements of a sports car at this time..And can act as a somewhat classy carriage if and when desired.

For me my +8 Morgan provided enough of a vintage driving experience without the high cost of purchase and running of a true vintage sports car of similar performance levels...A zillion miles away from my current Porsche, and all the better for it...Horses for courses... Were it not for my long association with 911`s, when I was considering a tin top replacement for my Mog, I suspect I might have gone for a Cayman.

Peter, if you have read this, might I suggest that you consider it worthwhile to have a look at the ESSENTIAL buyers guides as written by Adrian Streather. I met him a few years back, and as best I can remember he was an aircraft engineer who knows his way around Porsches of many types as a hands on enthusiast.. He has written buyers guides for all sorts of Porsches as well as the 986 Boxter, 987 Boxter&Cayman combined, 2006-2009 and a follow up from 2009-20012. with another version for the 981 Boxter&Cayman from 2012- 2016, all filled with practical information. I have bought a few of his books. published by Veloce.

Good luck in your choices Peter.

Re: Boxter Experience - 29/07/22 01:55 PM

Plenty of time to try a Super 3 now then Peter smile

You owe it to yourself.
Posted By: wally

Re: Boxter Experience - 29/07/22 05:55 PM

Hi Peter,
owned over the years 5 boxster. Last one, a spyder i sold to buy my Plus8.
From year 2010 i think you can buy every good maintained Boxster. The are
more comfortable than a Morgan, faster, perfect handling and dont consume
too much fuel. Only the service is Porsche like a little expensive.
For me they was more fun to drive than the 911‘s that are really too perfect,
not to say boring on normal roads.
If i ever buy a Porsche again then. Boxster... or maybe an old 911 ;-)

BR
Andreas

Re: Boxter Experience - 29/07/22 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Peter J

I drove a 2.0L 2017 with PDK and Sport Chrono Pack yesterday.
Basic upholstery, Bose sound system.

How do Porsche make a car running 19" wheels ride over rubbish roads so well, yet corner as if on rails.
Overall I'm impressed, but will not be changing, because the bog standard seats don't fit me.
Trying a model S with Spots Seats Plus, sitting on the seat in the showroom it was much better.

Driving home in the Tesla, on some of the same roads shows it up for what it is.

The Tesla will go next week, so until Tarka is back it we are a 1 car family. HELP!!

If you are happy with the 2.0 engine, do have a look at the Boxster T. It's essentially a GTS but with the 2.0 engine. If you thought the car rode well as it is, wait until you try PASM. I touched on this in a previous reply.

The T comes standard with all the performance options as standard, LSD, PASM, Sport Chrono etc.

Good luck
P

Re: Boxter Experience - 31/07/22 11:25 AM

Driving the Boxster S yesterday made our decision easy.

The S variant has 500ccs more, a trick turbo from the 911 and a few other features. The 66 plate one I drove has PDK, the Porsche automatic transmission: possibly the fastest changing and smoothest transmission I’ve ever experienced. It also has PSAM, which gives adjustable suspension and a Chrono pack, which puts the mode switch on a little wheel on the steering wheel. Yes, there is a touch screen, but it is only for navigation and audio. The car also has full leather and the Sports Plus seats, which are really comfortable: overall the ride is incredibly well controlled, yet smooth and subtle.

A £2k deposit placed, the private plate removed from the Tesla and an appointment booked with We Buy Any Car for Wednesday, assuming DVLA gets the new V5 to me in time. I should get the car by next weekend.

This is what it looks like, kingfisher blue.

[Linked Image]

The car was registered in October 2016 yet has covered just 11,105 miles: it is as tight as a drum and could be taken to be a new car. The MOT history shows that it was driven 7696 miles in its first 3 years, the next year 1430 miles and this year just 874 miles. The next MOT is due in October, and it would, at past use rates, have done 1105 miles. It had the first service at 2 years in October 2018 and the second in October 2020, the next is due in 2022 and will be done before we collect the car. My only concern is tyre age: assuming they were made in 2015 or early 2016 they will be close to 7 years old, which is not good, irrespective of the wear level.

We have paid £51,990 for it, with a 2 year manufacturer’s warranty: a new 2023 car specified exactly as the one we have purchased would be just under £80,000. This is Morgan PlusFour money here: sadly, there is no real comparison. I worry that by moving into Porsche pricing MMC will struggle to convert people in sufficient numbers: time will tell.

Does buying a Boxster replace the Tesla make sense? Well, 99% of the use of the Tesla is one or two up, the boot mostly empty. The Tesla is a perfect commuter car, but I don’t commute anywhere. The Tesla is cheap to run but is largely soulless. It has had several warranty issues, including a main CPU failure, and the never ending stream of updates irritates, not sure why. The biggest dislike is the touch screen user interface and the way that it tries to nanny the driver by warning of this or that perceived danger, when none exists. In comparison the Boxster is largely analogue, more like the Morgan.

So, what about the Morgan? When I get it back and have the opportunity to drive it then I’ll make a decision, assuming I don’t have to sell it to pay a massive labour charge. They are so very different takes on two seats and a soft top!
Posted By: milligoon

Re: Boxter Experience - 31/07/22 11:41 AM

Not impulsive whatsoever wink
Posted By: Burgundymog

Re: Boxter Experience - 31/07/22 11:54 AM

Don't expect too much from WBAC, don't even leave a speck of dust on it or they will knock money of the web price.

Re: Boxter Experience - 31/07/22 12:09 PM

Good decision!
I think you'll love it.
I've always been concerned by Morgan's pricing and their ambition to take on the bigger names.
Good will and 'they all do that sir' only goes so far at £80k +!!!
Enjoy a modern, real sports car!!!

Re: Boxter Experience - 31/07/22 12:40 PM

Congrats on the impending delivery of your Porsche Peter...Having been a Porsche owner for a decade or more, I went to Morgan in search of a vintage and thus more involving driving experience, my Morgan providing that and more, providing enough confidence in it`s capabilities for us to take on trips driving to France, Spain and Italy. I have now owned my +8 for circa 20 years smile

GREAT colour and my favourite wheels too, showing off the big red callipers. Porsche ever felt to me as if carved from the solid and still do, though they have not been without their issues since they went to water cooling, bore score being one and perhaps associated with flat engines in general..? Perhaps best to allow it to get up to temp before loading the engine in a rapid overtake etc..? Also it seems the PDK box may not be considered as repairable by Porsche, as no parts seem to be available which makes for a rather expensive replacement .???

That you have the insurance based Porsche extended warranty would seem to be ideal, though depends upon you having your Boxter serviced by Porsche technicians using only Porsche O.E. Parts, right down to Porsche approved tyres the I.D. on the battery and windscreen wipers.. etc. etc. etc.. any non-O.E.Parts found in the case of a claim can negate the warranty. I had to jump through hoops to have my 2012 car accepted on to the warranty scheme, which it can be on for till circa 15 years or 140k miles though best to check as things change..?

With a rarely used car to date, and stop start tec, I suspect IF you also may not use it regularly it may be best to keep it on a CTEK AGM matched float charger/reconditioner

I recently replaced my 10 year old battery as it failed to start my rarely used 911 having inadvertently been left for a week without the charger attached.. Battery`s with the necessary Porsche ID cost more than from the same manufacturer without the Porsche label, though the comfort of the warranty was deemed to be worth the extra.

The mix of a Morgan and a Porsche in the garage can work rather well... I hope it works well for you too Peter.. thumbs
Posted By: JohnHarris

Re: Boxter Experience - 31/07/22 01:09 PM

Congratulations Peter, absolutely fabulous choice of Boxster I think I was drawn to that particular car or one very similar on Autotrader the other day after reading your posting...great colour absolutely stunning and a brilliant specification. Must admit the Speedsters ( for more money) with 380bhp certainly wetted my appetite.

I'm sure it will be pleasure to drive roof down and hopefully rekindle the Morgan open motoring love affair when you get your Morgan back. I've only had tin tops as company cars and when ever I could get away with it a company soft top. My personal cars have always been soft tops and I couldn't image not having one in my life.

Great car good choice, slightly envious at the moment.

Re: Boxter Experience - 31/07/22 01:57 PM

Very nice Peter! thumbs (As I said in my email)
But don't expect other drivers to let you out at junctions as would happen with Tarka smile
Posted By: Neilda

Re: Boxter Experience - 31/07/22 02:17 PM

Look forward to seeing it! smile
Posted By: JMD

Re: Boxter Experience - 01/08/22 08:48 AM

Enjoy the Boxster - like others, we have one - albeit a 6 cylinder 2.7 N/A which we like because it takes a bit of driving to get the best from it but it is plenty quick enough for today's roads....the 2.5 turbo S like yours is easy to drive seriously quickly so watch out for speed cameras!

Re: Boxter Experience - 01/08/22 02:50 PM

Peter you will be happy to hear that Tarka is clean and safe in the Williams car park.
Posted By: howard

Re: Boxter Experience - 01/08/22 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Heinz
The Boxter, however, is again so big and fast and "safe" and „matured“ that the many beautiful country roads can become absolutely boring if you do not drive much too fast against the rules. In this case, driving according to the law, surprisingly the mid-engine concept turns into something very boring because you feel and "experience" curves even less than with an MX5 with front engine and rear-wheel drive. I know it well from my Elise, it just irons curves straight.

Interestingly that was exactly my conclusion on the Boxter. I have test driven them several times because they would make a much more rational choice than the Ferrari, but every time I found the same thing. They were bland, fault and character free, and somehom not a sports car in the way that the 911 is. And I drove both 911 and Boxter back to back.

The interior wasnt inspiring either. It could easily have been a Merc or BMW or VW - well finished, functional but no flair.

In the end, both boxter and MX5 are toy cars so what matters is not the rational decision but the emotional one. If I werent wedded to open cars, my choice would be neither of them but a Lotus.

Re: Boxter Experience - 01/08/22 09:14 PM

This is what makes being an automotive enthusiast such a fantastic and varied thing, in that what is a fantastic car to one isn't to another. Many would say a `Morgan is far from a sports car yet to someone else, it's the essence of one.

I've owned two 718's and have been very fortunate to have driven cars from all spectrums. For me, the 718 was a fantastic B road car, runs circles around a 911 on the track and at the same time fill the roll of a GT car. If it were not for the emotional attachment to the Morgan, I would have chopped that in for another 718 in a heartbeat.

@Howard, what gen 911 and Boxster did you test? Curious as the 991 gen 911 has the same interior as the 981 and current 982 Boxster, bar the placement of the dash vents. Doors, console, tech, seats etc are identical wink
Posted By: AndyrIch

Re: Boxter Experience - 01/08/22 10:02 PM

[quote=Perry_P_M3WCurious as the 991 gen 911 has the same interior as the 981 and current 982 Boxster, bar the placement of the dash vents. Doors, console, tech, seats etc are identical wink[/quote]

There is huge visual difference from the drivers seat, nearly half the dashboard is missing. Just the 2 dials + a digital screen on the boxster versus 5 on a 911. For me as a serial 911 owner the dashboard evolving through the generations is one of the attractions, its the bit I sit there looking at when invariably caught up in traffic. I always felt short changed when I had a Boxster. Give me a Boxster with a 911 dash & I would be happy.

Re: Boxter Experience - 02/08/22 05:15 AM

I get that Andy in regards to the 5 dials vs. 3., This has always been the case. But aside from that, the parts are 100/% plug and play. Doors, console, centre stack (bar the vent treatment) and more importantly, the fit and finished, when looking at those gens.

Porsche does a good job of keeping certain things for the 911 and only when a new version comes out does the Boxster get something from the previous gen.
Posted By: JB62

Re: Boxter Experience - 02/08/22 06:29 AM

My 981 Spyder arrives next week. It is my first foray into the world of Porsche. It seems that there is even more opinion on different models/ specs in the Porsche world!

I just really liked the drive in the car- the manual was very good and the howl from the 3.8 six was great fun.

It seems that there is some “ disagreement “ between 911 and Boxster/Cayman drivers!!

I need to learn some Porsche-Speak after twenty years of Morgan-Speak.

Re: Boxter Experience - 02/08/22 10:29 AM

JB62, as with Peter, I hope you both enjoy your experience as Porsche owners. It suspect it may be rather different from that with Morgan.

I had over a decade of hands-on air cooled Porsche experience, owning, restoring and repairing my old Porsches. I even took a few years out as a born again biker to enjoy countryside B roads, before finally thinking a Morgan might be the ideal machine to return to four wheeled B road automotive involvement. Now some 20 years or so into ownership of my +8, a mix of circumstances caused me to contemplate the practicalities of tin top with, auto box, even air-con as ideals to extend sports car enjoyment in all weathers, thinking cold mostly as an issue these days.

My past experience of Porsche drew me back to that marque though I considered a Cayman as being closer to the dimensions of my earlier 911`s, but as my likely last Porsche, I decided on another 911 and ended up the proud owner of a 991.1 C4S with PDK, it is kitted out with more gizmology than I have ability to understand, and which no doubt continues to flatter my ability to pilot the thing down the same twisting turning B roads I have enjoyed for many a decade, both on m/cycle and in my old +8 ... smile

For sure my +8 is much more of a sports car to me, with it`s manual box, alongside it`s somewhat vintage appearance and pseudo vintage feel of the way it "handles" the less than ideal road surfaces, the handling being very much alive making the pilot feel very much alive and a very necessary part of all the processes involved.. smile

Of course the PDK equipped Porsche is a world away from my old Mog`s sports car feel. The 991 providing more of an insular GT driving experience on ordinary roads than that felt in my previously owned air cooled 911`s, though applying a degree of relativity, air-cooled 911`s were capable as GT`s in their time too. On the other hand the 991.1 can be a real sports car, but one generally has to be travelling at a much higher rate of knots to begin to sample it`s sports car capabilities, unless on a real testing bit of Tarmac such as the Dukes Pass, where high speed is likely to be considered as 60mph or less given the wonderful rising and falling tight twists and turns of those all too few miles of Tarmac, and where side-on G force experienced can take over in terms of providing a real sports car sensation..:)

Yeah there are so very many variables to be enjoyed across the range of sports cars spanning many decades. Evolution at Porsche has played it`s part, in the application of digital decision making in the search for fuel and other efficiency, equating to PDK programming which seems designed in such a way as to partly discourage the use of the super fast down shift via flappy paddles, to drop a gear or two in order to retard forward progress by using engine over-run, and perhaps enjoying the aural experience of doing so... Hmm..? Nope it is not going to happen... Modern drivers use brakes to SLOW and engine to GO... end of...Drop a gear in the PDK and the programming seems to instantly be in accelerative mode...Perhaps I`m just doing it wrong...???

So no more over-run popping und banging perhaps even the occasional flame as one dances heel and toe, even double de-clutching on dropping down into second when the box is cold to overcome a reluctant syncro in the old +8.... Yeah a modern PDK equipped Porsche is so very different even from it`s manual 911 forebears, and a whole world away from enjoyment of my old Morgan.

Boy do I feel fortunate to have two rather special machines available, each of which provide a personal sense enough of connection to emotional and historic significance at this time, to justify their current residence in my garage.... As ever, each to their own.

Re: Boxter Experience - 02/08/22 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Perry_P_M3W

@Howard, what gen 911 and Boxster did you test? Curious as the 991 gen 911 has the same interior as the 981 and current 982 Boxster, bar the placement of the dash vents. Doors, console, tech, seats etc are identical wink

They were the main dealer demo cars in Cardiff and it was when I last changed cars so spring time 2019. Dont know what gen that makes them - I have enough trouble with Ferrari model numbers let alone Proker ones that go up and down the numerical scale.

For me they had the same feel as Honda motorcycles . Outside the specials, refined to the point of somehow characterless. But as you say it would be a terrible world if we all thought the same way.
Posted By: JB62

Re: Boxter Experience - 02/08/22 12:04 PM

Luddite- I may be wrong- but the 981 Spyder only came with a manual box?

Re: Boxter Experience - 02/08/22 12:26 PM

JB62, Thanks for the heads-up. Given the range of options that Porsche provide I assumed that PDK might have been available across the whole range. Someone wiser than I determined that to asume makes an ASS of yoU and ME.. blush
Posted By: bobar

Re: Boxter Experience - 03/08/22 12:58 PM

Best sports car I've owned to date.

[Linked Image]

The plus 4 was fun until the foibles became irritating.

[Linked Image]

They can co-exist.

[Linked Image]

Re: Boxter Experience - 03/08/22 02:34 PM

I'm hoping that the Plus 8 and Boxster can live together, when the Plus 8 finally returns.
Posted By: Eddie Cairns

Re: Boxter Experience - 08/08/22 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by dmh
We have had four MK4 MX5’s - quite brilliant - the only negative as mentioned earlier, is passenger footwell space as apparently the engine management kit lurks beneath the forward carpet!

No problem for passengers shorter than six foot - and even then OK for all but long journeys.

Good Luck

Just to correct these posts re the MX5. The MK1 or NA 1989 to 1997 and the Mk2 or NB and NB facelift 1998 to 2005 had the ecu behind the front firewall at the passengers’ feet, the biggest problem being the rear cabin drain holes behind the seat belt towers that the hood drains into get blocked with leaves, the water overflows the area and falls into the passenger footwells. The carpets are waterproof and do not appear damp and the water damages the ECU. That in turn in the MK2 or NB which controls the alternator charging , that cooks the battery.

The MK3 or NC 2005 to 2015 and the Mk4 or ND 2015 to probably 2024 have the ECU at the area near the top of the offside inner wing. Therefore, any person complaining about the Mk4 having a problem with legroom due to the position of the ECU is somewhat confused.
Posted By: ChrisConvertible

Re: Boxter Experience - 09/08/22 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by dmh

Good Luck

I had a 1989 NA from 1990 to 1998, I agree it was a brilliant car. I could do the roof from the drivers seat while waiting at traffic lights if I didn't bother zipping out the rear window. However 99% of the time i did zip out the rear window.

Just curious why 4 MK4's? That is a new car every 2 years since 2015?

Originally Posted by Eddie Cairns

Just to correct these posts re the MX5. The MK1 or NA 1989 to 1997 and the Mk2 or NB and NB facelift 1998 to 2005 had the ecu behind the front firewall at the passengers’ feet, the biggest problem being the rear cabin drain holes behind the seat belt towers that the hood drains into get blocked with leaves, the water overflows the area and falls into the passenger footwells. The carpets are waterproof and do not appear damp and the water damages the ECU. That in turn in the MK2 or NB which controls the alternator charging , that cooks the battery.

The MK3 or NC 2005 to 2015 and the Mk4 or ND 2015 to probably 2024 have the ECU at the area near the top of the offside inner wing. Therefore, any person complaining about the Mk4 having a problem with legroom due to the position of the ECU is somewhat confused.

Eddie - Thanks for the information, useful to know.
Posted By: Deejay

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 07:49 AM

Don't expect too much from WBAC, don't even leave a speck of dust on it or they will knock money of the web price.

Be interesting to know if WBAC met expectations?
Posted By: Almond

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 01:54 PM

Just my twopenneth but as Heinz said make sure you check the passenger legroom on the MX5. You don't have to be really tall for it to be uncomfortable.

My wife had the MX5 ND model and for me at 1.79m tall it was really uncomfortable if I spent more than 45 mins in the passenger seat. I guess its how long yoru legs are, rather than how tall overall.

6-cylinder Boxsters are extremely good and I had a Cayman (manual) in the past that was competent and efficient at all times and fun some of the time. Although a bit of a threat to the license as you had to be going some to really enjoy it. A little opposite to most Morgans...

I have now got an Alpine A110GT which is quite honestly the best and most fun car I have had in 40+ years of driving. The only downside is that it shows up the ride and handling and steering (and brakes of ocurse) of my Plus Four which was by chance delivered back from the dealer last night after the recall work. 3,500 miles in the Alpine since May wasn't a good preparation for getting back in the Plus Four unfortunately. :-(.

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Deejay

WBAC were efficient: I didn't wash the car first, but they picked up the myriad of fine scratches on the NS, caused by foliage on our narrow lanes and dropped me £250, which isn't unreasonable as the side needs machine polishing. They missed a couple of paint chips and a very tiny (2mm) scuff on one alloy.

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 02:25 PM

WBAC were efficient: I didn't wash the car first, but they picked up the myriad of fine scratches on the NS, caused by foliage on our narrow lanes and dropped me £250, which isn't unreasonable as the side needs machine polishing. They missed a couple of paint chips and a very tiny (2mm) scuff on one alloy.

Thanks. That seems a fair approach and best of all…it’s gone…no tyre kickers to entertain!

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 02:53 PM

Well, here it is....

[Linked Image]

Not bad for a 6 year old car.
A new Boxster S with a specification mirroring mine would be £73,000
Compare this with a very similar price to a reasonably well specified Plus 4.
Morgan has some way to go to provide the same level of product quality and dealer experience to play on the same ground as Porsche.

Amusingly, when the Boxsters first came out they had to recall about 1400 cars...just like Morgan. But Porsche had to replace the engine, not a master cylinder....
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 02:55 PM

Nice colour!

Well, here it is....

[Linked Image]

Not bad for a 6 year old car.
A new Boxster S with a specification mirroring mine would be £73,000
Compare this with a very similar price to a reasonably well specified Plus 4.
Morgan has some way to go to provide the same level of product quality and dealer experience to play on the same ground as Porsche.

Amusingly, when the Boxsters first came out they had to recall about 1400 cars...just like Morgan. But Porsche had to replace the engine, not a master cylinder....
Posted By: Craig Jezz

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 02:59 PM

Very nice Peter thumbs

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 03:30 PM

Blue is my current favourite Porsche colour Peter..(-: Though for a very long time if it was a sports car it had to be red... I hope you really enjoy the Boxter experience Peter.

Almond when you typed :-

" 6-cylinder Boxsters are extremely good and I had a Cayman (manual) in the past that was competent and efficient at all times and fun some of the time. Although a bit of a threat to the license as you had to be going some to really enjoy it. A little opposite to most Morgans..."

Circa 30 years ago when testing the new to market 993, and finding the driving experience somewhat uninvolving until giving it some stick, by which time one was more than likely to be in licence schredding territory.. That experience caused me to go off in search of an involving driving experience within legal limitations on B roads. It took a while and I eventually eneded up a mid 80`s +8 owner.. (-: .

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 04:02 PM

Peter J,

Great looking car I'm sure its going to get some use with the current weather we have.............really striking blue colour. Did the first drive home live upto expectation?
Posted By: James B W

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 04:17 PM

looks good Peter ; love the colour..... love

James

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 05:07 PM

Looks great, I bet it feels a bit different to both the +8 and the electric thing.
Morgan has a lot to live up to when you compare the practicality, build quality, materials, value for money, drive, waterproof-ness(?) etc etc of the Porsche.
Posted By: Fox Terrier

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Julian BB
Looks great, I bet it feels a bit different to both the +8 and the electric thing.
Morgan has a lot to live up to when you compare the practicality, build quality, materials, value for money, drive, waterproof-ness(?) etc etc of the Porsche.

I came to Morgan after owning two Porsches in a row. No regrets after 7 years. I think it's the foibles that make it for me - and the simplicity.

Fabulous looking Boxster by the way - enjoy!

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by JohnHarris
Peter J,

Great looking car I'm sure its going to get some use with the current weather we have.............really striking blue colour. Did the first drive home live upto expectation?

John, it was a good drive on uninvolving roads. Later I went out on the lanes and B Roads... gosh, it goes like stink when provoked... 0 to 60 in 4 seconds, I'm told.
It is VERY comfortable, had an electric roof, so no excuse for not having the roof down and it makes me smile. It is a combination of a GT Touring car and boy racer thing with a shouty exhaust, I suppose.

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by JohnHarris
Peter J,

John, it was a good drive on uninvolving roads. Later I went out on the lanes and B Roads... gosh, it goes like stink when provoked... 0 to 60 in 4 seconds, I'm told.
It is VERY comfortable, had an electric roof, so no excuse for not having the roof down and it makes me smile. It is a combination of a GT Touring car and boy racer thing with a shouty exhaust, I suppose.

Well no excuses for not taking that touring holiday now! God bless electric roofs! I'm glad it makes you smile, I'm sure it will continue to grow in your affection and increase that enjoyment factor so necessary these days.

Re: Boxter Experience - 10/08/22 08:07 PM

Lovely colour. I guess there is somewhere to put “things” like over night bag etc?
Reckon Tarka is going to be on probation!

Re: Boxster Experience - 11/08/22 07:08 AM

Tarka is at MMC, spotted outside Spares / Service, but with a tour in tow I couldn't go for a closer look.
Several people on my second tour were or are Boxster owners.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Boxter Experience - 11/08/22 07:42 AM

Looks lovely Peter. I hope you enjoy the car.

Re: Boxter Experience - 11/08/22 09:24 AM

Doug, The Boxster has a massive front bin and a rear boot large enough to take two 10kg sacks of animal feed. Inside there is a big glove box, between the seats tray and generous door pockets.
Tarka will be on probation, I can't live with a car that has incontinent electrics: I have a bet on with Milligoon that in the end it will be one or more bad earth points.

Re: Boxter Experience - 11/08/22 09:32 AM

Doug, The Boxster has a massive front bin and a rear boot large enough to take two 10kg sacks of animal feed. Inside there is a big glove box, between the seats tray and generous door pockets.
Tarka will be on probation, I can't live with a car that has incontinent electrics: I have a bet on with Milligoon that in the end it will be one or more bad earth points.

I hope it's as simple as a few bad earth points, one would have thought a good auto electrician would have tracked those down...I bet Porsche or other soft luggage suppliers will have tailor made luggage for those areas, to maximise the use there of.

Re: Boxter Experience - 11/08/22 09:52 AM

Doug, The Boxster has a massive front bin and a rear boot large enough to take two 10kg sacks of animal feed.

So Caroline had an important input to the decision as well then!🏇

Re: Boxter Experience - 11/08/22 10:19 AM

That's a very nice Blue, the depth and metallic will look good next to the Plus 8.
You will have to stock up on factor 50 now.

I have worked out whats going on here.

Yellow Merc, Black Merc, Brown Mog, Blue Boxster. You are playing car snooker a bit like the joke police game?
Mind you if you park the three cars close together the MB will need to be in the middle or the Pork and Mog will clash, Blue and Brown ?
Posted By: Lordofthewings

Re: Boxter Experience - 11/08/22 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Alistair
I have worked out whats going on here.Yellow Merc, Black Merc, Brown Mog, Blue Boxster. You are playing car snooker

Just stay well clear of the atrocious pink one in CooperMan's recent post ...... https://youtu.be/mRF-8Mafbwo

Re: Boxter Experience - 11/08/22 05:54 PM

Doug, The Boxster has a massive front bin and a rear boot large enough to take two 10kg sacks of animal feed.

So Caroline had an important input to the decision as well then!🏇

Absolutely...!!
I know what is good for me.

Re: Boxter Experience - 11/08/22 09:49 PM

I like your Boxter!
Posted By: bmgermany

Re: Boxter Experience - 11/08/22 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Heinz
I like your Boxter!

Me too and the nice color fits perfect!

Re: Boxter Experience - 13/08/22 01:53 PM

I'm hoping that the Plus 8 and Boxster can live together, when the Plus 8 finally returns.

Going to be interesting to see. Someone who enjoys the foibles and inadequacies of MMC cars as you do is not an obvious candidate for a car refined to the point of blandness /perfection. I would have expected you to chose something "more raw". You've surprised me. laugh2

Look forward to the comments in a year or so when the novelty has gone. Personally I am in love with every new boat I buy but it doesnt always last. In fact it only ever lasted with the last boat, the one that I sadly found after 11 years didnt go with an ageing body any longer.
Posted By: TBM

Re: Boxter Experience - 13/08/22 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by howard
the foibles and inadequacies of MMC cars

You spelt 'character' wrong smile smile

Re: Boxter Experience - 13/08/22 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by howard

Going to be interesting to see. Someone who enjoys the foibles and inadequacies of MMC cars as you do is not an obvious candidate for a car refined to the point of blandness /perfection. I would have expected you to chose something "more raw". You've surprised me. laugh2

Look forward to the comments in a year or so when the novelty has gone. Personally I am in love with every new boat I buy but it doesn't always last. In fact it only ever lasted with the last boat, the one that I sadly found after 11 years didnt go with an ageing body any longer.

Agreed... most of my cars last 2 to 2.5 years, some less: I get bored easily.
I can forgive MMC for most of the eccentricities of af Tarka, but not unexplained unreliability. Much will depend on the reason for the problems that have kept Tarka and I off the road for most of the summer.
The Porsche isn't bland in the way the Tesla was, but it does vere towards perfection in the way the A35, M140i and C63 did not. They should have been so much better... we shall see if that perfection bores me, or if I fall in love. The PDK box is stunning, utterly inconspicuous, every change imperceptible... until you need it to do as you ask, then it is responsive in a millisecond, or so it seems: wonderful!
I've not tried the race start yet, the tyres are too new....

The A35 box, a double clutch device was crude, dumb, lumpy changes, jerks and unimpressive. Both the A35 and C63 had adjustable ride, as does the Porsche. The difference is that the Porsche system seems matched to the chassis and car. Tarka is better than the two AMGs.

Re: Boxter Experience - 13/08/22 09:30 PM

Today was a vintage car meeting in Adenau, the "village of the ring". I just wanted to look, but was waved in with my 4/4 and so we didn't have to walk a mile from the parking lot for ordinary cars. I thought ok, especially since the attendant said with a connoisseur's eye that your car is really old, anyone can see....
In the Oldtimer Ara there was also a BMW Plus8 like yours, Peter. He had also cheated his way in. When he drove off...what an awesome sound, what an impressive appearance. Keep Tarka (if it were me) You would be very very sorry after a year at the latest if you sell her. Maybe the Boxter is a pleasant interim until Tarka scores with you again. And...please don't make a mountain out of a molehill...just because the electrics are a bit temporarily dumbed down.
What I found very emotionally impressive today was that my little 4/4 was one of the most photographed cars, the people liked it. With her somewhat greenish gray colour and in her smallness, she causes the opposite of show or ostentation, rather sympathy. I hadn't even washed her, but all the dead mosquitoes and dust on the paint made people feel even more like it was something real.

[Linked Image]

Re: Boxter Experience - 13/08/22 09:35 PM

Heinz, love the picture the Porsche with a lid on and a crook lock on the steering wheel and your topless 4/4 just sat there in the open totally loved and unscathed and in no danger at all, well of being loved too much maybe..

A friend in the green Morgan ? a betriebsausflug...

Re: Boxter Experience - 13/08/22 09:49 PM

That was a coincidence, Richard, I didn't know the Morgan or her driver, it was a beautiful genuine 4/4 four seater, I would say from the early seventies, with steel rims and chrome caps.
Yes, you are absolutely right, I had parked my 4/4 there for three hours and we were all over the place, meeting friends, having a bratwurst, etc. Yes, there was no danger, and yes, the Porsche was secured like Fort Knox what I see only now in the photo where you say it....

Re: Boxter Experience - 13/08/22 09:53 PM

Yes Heinz we are lucky there is so much love for these cute little cars of ours thumbs

Not Miklos by any chance on tour his is a green four seater ?

Re: Boxter Experience - 13/08/22 10:00 PM

I don‘t thing so, Richard, not Miklos, she has a DAU plate which stands for Daun, a lovely small town in the more southern Eifel. Miklos has a Bavarian plate.

Re: Boxter Experience - 13/08/22 10:03 PM

It is the only green four seater I know of Heinz so I was clutching at straws smile
© 2022 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News