Talk Morgan

Fitting a valance to my +4

Posted By: tommog

Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 11:08 AM

Hi everybody,
just bought and got a baby doll style valance from the factory and now, I am looking forward to fit it to my 2018 +4.
I would be grateful for every tip I can get how to do it and where to fix it to the car. Maybe someone has pics from under the car?
Thank you for helping!!!
Posted By: ewn

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 06:10 PM

I’ve recently purchased one too, when I finally get round to it , l’ll fit it raw, then take it off agin to paint it.
Posted By: Dean-Royal

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By ewn
l’ll fit it raw, then take it off again to paint it.

In.m.o this is the correct way to do it.
Posted By: bmgermany

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 07:33 PM

I am sorry to say I can't help you but I am interestet to see the result!
Posted By: John V6

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 08:01 PM

There is info here
http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=2743&Number=27404#Post27404
Posted By: Craig Jezz

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 08:30 PM

Not sure if this helps ?

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 08:31 PM

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 08:38 PM

that looks nice!!

There must be any solution for a wider valance for cars with overriders confused2
Posted By: 60Yards

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 08:50 PM

I have just had the front overriders taken off when my valance was fitted.
No luck attaching a picture. I have tried putting them in the Morgan pictures-thread.
If you PM me I’ll send you pictures of how it is attached to the car by the dealer.
Regards
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By bmgermany
that looks nice!!

There must be any solution for a wider valance for cars with overriders confused2

Cain at Wolf Performance is modifying my overrider mounts to allow fitting of full valance with aperture whilst retaining overriders. Something like this although think it will look better on a Roadster with standard number plate mount to reveal aperture.

The other solution is to fit the full bumper mounts which require just a circular clearance hole in the valance, then modifying each overrider to work with the single threaded hole mount.
Posted By: BobJ

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By tommog
Hi everybody,
just bought and got a baby doll style valance from the factory and now, I am looking forward to fit it to my 2018 +4.
I would be grateful for every tip I can get how to do it and where to fix it to the car. Maybe someone has pics from under the car?
Thank you for helping!!!

Could you possibly post up some pictures of what Morgan actually supplied you with in terms of the valance and the fitting kit please. Was it painted by the factory or supplied the buff?

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 09:15 PM

I lowered my valance, it was fitted it to high IMO, the first Image shows how it use to look with the valance holes not fully exposed. I also removed the plate box.

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 09:41 PM

Whose valance is that Craig - Williams or Wolf? You're right, the air intake surrounds sitting under the bodywork of the car doesn't look quite right. Far better in the lower pictures.

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By BobJ
Whose valance is that Craig - Williams or Wolf? You're right, the air intake surrounds sitting under the bodywork of the car doesn't look quite right. Far better in the lower pictures.

It’s a Williams valance, I used Williams because they colour matched it perfect, sprayed and fitted all included at a very reasonable price too.

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 10:25 PM

Here’s the Wolf valance in its bare state, they have several versions. I think this is called the sport, various shapes and sizes of centre vent can also be chosen, can’t remember the price exactly, about £300 as I recall.

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/02/19 10:33 PM

I can’t wait to see it painted and fitted ewn, it’s going to look smart. I don’t think I’ve seen a valance on a 4/4 80th before ?
Posted By: tommog

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 21/02/19 09:37 AM

Thank you very much for your answers!
Of course I will first fit it to the car and then let it be painted.
The picture from under the car is very helpfull to me as it shows, how the valance is fitted to the car. That is what I need to know. I think, it does not show a Morgan made valance, but I hope, it works the same way. More pics from under the car would be great, if there are any around.
Thank you very much again and I will post the result, if I will understand one day, how to put pics on this site! ;-)

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 21/02/19 11:24 AM

Hi tommog

These are the best pictures i have, I hope it helps

Posted By: PaulJ

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 21/02/19 02:08 PM

I can confirm how useful the valance is at catching errant pheasants for supper, although the last one I tried it with ended up in 3 pieces spread 50 yds along the road, however, without a valance, he might easily have ended up spread along the underside of the car, like a rabbit once did on my Caterham Seven. Very messy!!

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 21/02/19 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By PaulJ
I can confirm how useful the valance is at catching errant pheasants for supper, although the last one I tried it with ended up in 3 pieces spread 50 yds along the road, however, without a valance, he might easily have ended up spread along the underside of the car, like a rabbit once did on my Caterham Seven. Very messy!!

or into the radiator
Posted By: PaulJ

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 21/02/19 03:20 PM

Yes, I had a deer that tried thata few months after the pheasant, but missed and only hit the wing - required £5k worth of repairs nonetheless.

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 21/02/19 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By ewn
Here’s the Wolf valance in its bare state, they have several versions. I think this is called the sport, various shapes and sizes of centre vent can also be chosen, can’t remember the price exactly, about £300 as I recall.

Ewan,
Waiting and watching with interest as we have the same car. Any thoughts on the outer air duct surrounds - body colour or contrasting?
Never mind the Caterham - this is the priority rofl

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 21/02/19 06:02 PM

Well Bob, the other bit of advice I should have mentioned is, “don’t start the next job until you’ve finished the last”. Land Rover enthusiasts are particularly bad for that, three in the driveway, none of them working!

Fitting will commence in due course. Tune in soon for episode one, published exclusively on TM!
Posted By: KEVFITZ

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 23/02/19 08:36 AM

Talking of Wolf Performance valances....

I was presented with the prototype valance by Cain a few years ago at a Morgan event and it has pride of place in my shed !!!

Posted By: Stewart S

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 23/02/19 12:40 PM

That’s some shed!
Posted By: HeadlessBlue

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 23/02/19 02:14 PM

That certainly beats fluffy dice or flying ducks on the wall....
HB

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 23/02/19 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By Richard Wood
that looks nice!!

Cain at Wolf Performance is modifying my overrider mounts to allow fitting of full valance with aperture whilst retaining overriders. Something like this although think it will look better on a Roadster with standard number plate mount to reveal aperture.

The other solution is to fit the full bumper mounts which require just a circular clearance hole in the valance, then modifying each overrider to work with the single threaded hole mount.

Thank you for your answer!

I wonder if you have the tube mounts on the over-rider which are necessary as is written on Cains website? My over-rider are mounted with the angle style mountings,

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 23/02/19 08:34 PM

Thank you for your answer!

I wonder if you have the tube mounts on the over-rider which are necessary as is written on Cains website? My over-rider are mounted with the angle style mountings,

Yes I was going to buy some tubular full bumper ones but despite the comment on his website he is intending modifying my existing overrider mounts. Some welding will be involved and keying of overrider to mount. I believe he mentioned a bracing bar behind valance which would leave them more rigid than original.

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 04/07/19 07:47 PM

Following above have now just received these photo's from Cain.

I ordered the Wolf full Sport valance with GT aperture but wanted to retain the overriders.

Cain normally only offered this option if you had the tubular steel full bumper mounts fitted. He was keen to offer the option for the angled plate OE overrider mounts though.

[Linked Image]

This is the result. Beautifully made tubular stainless brackets to match the overrider attachment points. The tubes fit through clearance holes in valance and will be cross bolted to the cut down OE brackets. Hope to have a cross brace incorporated as well for much needed stiffening.

[Linked Image]

Hope to collect finished unit tomorrow, then it's off to paint shop for matching red with grill in silk black to match elsewhere.
Posted By: BertR

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 04/07/19 08:09 PM

That looks very nice, I have a stubby from Cain that fits in between the overriders. Just a bit more protection for the bigger aluminum radiator that stuck out at the bottom. Very happy with what Cain made.
I feel that the Williams valance shown earlier in this threat is more flat an the Wolff one curves more backwards, which is just a bit more pleasing to the eye.

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 04/07/19 09:34 PM

I raised my valance slightly and fitted a wing plate, just for a change until I decide to switch back

[Linked Image]

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 05/07/19 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by BertR
That looks very nice, I have a stubby from Cain that fits in between the overriders. Just a bit more protection for the bigger aluminum radiator that stuck out at the bottom. Very happy with what Cain made.
I feel that the Williams valance shown earlier in this threat is more flat an the Wolff one curves more backwards, which is just a bit more pleasing to the eye.

Yes although newish car with plastic rad, I had in mind that when I upgrade to ally one, I will already have in place valance with cooling duct to take advantage of lower radiator.
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 05/07/19 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Wood
Following above have now just received these photo's from Cain.

I ordered the Wolf full Sport valance with GT aperture but wanted to retain the overriders.

Cain normally only offered this option if you had the tubular steel full bumper mounts fitted. He was keen to offer the option for the angled plate OE overrider mounts though.

[Linked Image]

This is the result. Beautifully made tubular stainless brackets to match the overrider attachment points. The tubes fit through clearance holes in valance and will be cross bolted to the cut down OE brackets. Hope to have a cross brace incorporated as well for much needed stiffening.

[Linked Image]

Hope to collect finished unit tomorrow, then it's off to paint shop for matching red with grill in silk black to match elsewhere.

Looks good Richard !

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 05/07/19 10:38 PM

Thanks for comments Bert and Jon. Valance already at painters and Cain will have grill and stainless brace bar in post to me next week.

Only downside was not having room for brake vent holes as well but growing to the idea it would have looked too cluttered with overriders as well.

Will post pics of finished article with close up of mounts in about two weeks.

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 19/07/19 07:17 AM

Valance and grill now painted. Sourced some grommets that overrider supports will fit through.

[Linked Image]

Hope to fit tomorrow. Terrified of scratching it though 🙁
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/07/19 11:39 AM

Richard, looks good, whilst mine was off I took it to a wrapper and had the stonechip film applied as they seem to suffer badly being so low down

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/07/19 08:15 PM

.......and fitted. After going through all the number plate options, revealing full grill etc., decided that with the GT valance grill aperture (which matches width of grill above), the number plate box could be left in original position without obscuring.

[Linked Image]

Had to bin the grommets though. The central hole when fitted wouldn't allow 25mm overrider support tubes to pass through. Settled for wrapping them with thin layer of black tape. Upper outer edges of valance touched inner lower edge of bodywork so fitted some self adhesive neoprene strip in between each side. I think someone else on this thread noticed the same.

Still need to fit the bracing bar for overriders when Cain finishes it. Now being made from solid stainless bar with ends drilled and tapped to accept one of the two bolts each side which already secure overriders to OE angle brackets.

Thanks for advice regarding stone chips Jon. Paint has been baked on so will see how it fairs. In retrospect powder coating may have been a better choice but not sure I would have got the colour match.
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/07/19 08:27 PM

That is looking really good.
Posted By: Rovert

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/07/19 09:16 PM

It is indeed.
Posted By: Dada

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/07/19 09:30 PM

Looks very nice with the overriders thumbs
If you have a picture without the plate and his support, I will be interested to see how it looks shades

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/07/19 10:13 PM

Sorry only this one.

[Linked Image]

Will post up some mounting photo's when I fit bracing bar.

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 20/09/19 04:10 PM

Collected the overrider brace bar from Cain yesterday. Fitted today without issue once threads in the tapped ends cleaned out. It utilises one of the two M6 bolts each side that fix the specially fabricated overrider mount tubes. Maybe a little overkill being made from 20mm solid stainless but overriders are absolutely solid now unlike OE.

Sorry about quality of photo's but valance mounting can be seen as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Themorganeer

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 21/09/19 08:59 PM

Neat solution. Especially like the stiffener rod between the overrider brackets.

Re: Fitting a valance to my +4 - 22/09/19 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Themorganeer
Neat solution. Especially like the stiffener rod between the overrider brackets.

Thanks Chris, although it was Cain's (WP) solution. Tubing with filled in ends for the threads would make it lighter. The M6 mount bolts were deliberately sized to sheer on overrider impact to limit damage to cross rails and chassis.
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News