Talk Morgan

starting or not starting new +4

Posted By: xc68anc

starting or not starting new +4 - 14/03/19 09:01 PM

Since november 2018 I'm a happy owner of a new +4

To be prepared I read a lot of stuff... The most I read, I think, bad idea - I' ve got a garage without any electrical possibilities.

The stuff was:
here in TM non starting new +4
Misscellany January 2019 Deve W. page 18
Owner's Handbook version III page 94

Summary: "get your battery loaded" or the handbook: "if the vehicle is left standing for more than 3 days...." THREE DAYS!!!

Ups, the good thing: nice - go a little out in the MOG twice a week... The bad: no time, much rain, a little deep temperatures.

Now the good news: not out in her for more than a week (eight days). The display in the speedo shows 12.4 Volts... Key in, turn and: vrooom...

A good (and not only nice) girl

René
Posted By: HeadlessBlue

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 14/03/19 09:03 PM

Glad you got going ok René
HB
Posted By: Fox Terrier

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 14/03/19 09:17 PM

Worth getting a C-Tek battery charger and keeping it plugged in through the 12v socket all the time. Keeps the battery in optimum condition all the time.
Posted By: britmog

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 14/03/19 10:23 PM

Hello Rene,

I have a workshed that has no possibility for electricity and use a solar power system. Works very well for lights and also charges batteries that operate tools,etc. I would look into a solar system, assuming you have a south facing aspect. You can also purchase solar car battery charging systems that will keep your battery at optimum charge.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 05:09 AM

In my experience I have had no problem with the car left for 2 weeks in summer. I believe cold weather is hard on batteries however and I have always put it on the "battery conditioner" in winter.

Our car has now done over 65,000 km and I believe the fact that I nearly always have the battery conditioner (trickle charger) plugged in has kept the now 7 year old battery in good condition.

I can't even remember what brand it is. I ordered it from the factory with the car.

There are solar battery charger kits available to keep boat batteries charged. One of these would be a good idea if no power is available in the garage. Provided of course that the garage is not underground smile

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 07:10 AM

The thing is: there is no possibility for electric systems in the garage. Also something with solar is no option.

About the car: they changed something in the wiring or/and the immobilizer, so the batterie runs flat quickly. As I parked the car the batterie was well over 13V (13.4 or more), after six days it shows only 12.4V.

If I remember right, I read somewhere there would be problems in the communication between key and immobilizer if the power went down under 13V.

So I was very glad, that it also work with only 12.4V. A good car ;-)

René
Posted By: Northernmorgan

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 07:28 AM

Fit an immobiliser switch to disconnect the battery if you are not using the car for sometime. A pain in someways as you’ll need to reset the clock etc but in the absence of power or the inability to use solar panels I don’t see what other options you have.

I’ve akways been a sceptical about solar panels but last year we rigged up one...about A3 in size to the battery on our boat.....it really did trickle charge it well!
I’m a convert.
Posted By: waikiore

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 07:54 AM

Yes I put a small solar panel on the boat we use most and amazingly it keeps the house and engine batteries so well topped up that I have not had to plug in to shore power ever since , absolutely fantastic .
Posted By: howard

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 08:46 AM

Allo, allo René. smile 12.4v is a bit less than half capacity so you maybe have 12 days before its so low the engine wont start. However, getting the car to start is one thing - it takes far more running than you might think to fully charge the battery. On my boat, it takes more than 6 hours because of course the current flow into the battery falls rapidly as the back emf builds up.

Use some thing like an Optimate. I use a solar panel on my boat as well as a wind generator. But the latter wont look good on the car.

The simplest solution is a swithch on the battery terminal but I dont know whether that would be accessible on a Morgan.
Posted By: Fullhoza

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 08:52 AM

Rene, in the absence of a power outlet and sunlight, I would also recommend the battery kill switch. My father uses it on his 2001 +8 (a lot of Kriechstroeme...) whenever he gets out of the car. Also a great theft protection! However, I have a Jan 2018 Plus 4, and only after six weeks in very cold winter has it left me standing.

Something like this: Battery switch
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 09:15 AM

If a car with fully charged battery won't start after just two weeks then the battery needs replacing due to its diminished capacity.

Smart battery chargers/conditioners left on float charge 24/7 will help prolong battery life but will eventually mask the reduced capacity - being the usual form of battery degradation. You could then become stranded following the first overnight away from home and charger.
Posted By: Alistair

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 09:33 AM

The good ladies Mini Cooper often sits as I do the driving when we are together. We fitted an AA solar panel on the dash and it keeps power well now. If you cannot get light or power then the only thing I can think of is a small battery cart like F1 teams use. Don’t underestimate the weight of them and under spec the cart strength. Get a couple of low cost batteries and wire them in parallel for more grunt. Use heavy cable, ask a local motor factor for some cables from a car as they will have something practical. Roll it in and leave it to charge for a couple of days then take it away and give it a boost?
Posted By: John V6

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 11:51 AM

Are you really sure you can't get a solar panel out side?
On my shed the panel is literally screwed onto the vertical side of the shed with a hole drilled through. It keeps the battery topped up for lights.
Prior to that at our old house the same panel screwed to the wall kept the Mog battery topped up till I bought a CTEK.
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 12:51 PM

What am I missing here ? I read that in my manual and thought it was a printing error

A modern mog has a modern electrical system. Im no auto leccy but really, three days ?

In car with modern electrics and a healthy battery there surely should be no way you need to 'top up' after three days sitting.

Ive left cars for weeks before and they have fired right up. Is there something inherent in Morgans that drains batteries ?
Posted By: BobtheTrain

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By Bonesie
Is there something inherent in Morgans that drains batteries ?

It's the Flux Capacitor that takes the cars back in time.
Posted By: James B W

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 01:47 PM

What am I missing here ? I read that in my manual and thought it was a printing error

A modern mog has a modern electrical system. Im no auto leccy but really, three days ?

In car with modern electrics and a healthy battery there surely should be no way you need to 'top up' after three days sitting.

Ive left cars for weeks before and they have fired right up. Is there something inherent in Morgans that drains batteries ?

- in short, YES!!

to be fair, there appear to be as many opinions on the cause as there are commentators.

Certainly on the Aero8, the major suspect seems to be the BMW/Morgan ECU interface which ( I suspect) has a minor but constant drain.

Also, the Aero8 should (in my opinion) really have a larger battery - but there is not the room for one. swear

A CTEK charger or similar is the solution for me - but this can have issues with the Odyssey Gel battery (as I have posted on before).

A compact lithium jump starter pack is my back-up plan normally....

James
Posted By: Chris99

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 01:50 PM

If fitted then immobilisers and alarms will drain the battery. Many modern cars will only last a few weeks before being unable to start.

If there's no outside power source then a battery disconnect switch is the solution.

I use a Battery Brain on my M3W so I can disconnect/reconnect without having to take the front cowl off.

https://www.batterybrain.co.uk/
Posted By: PHZI

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 02:16 PM

Well if all else fails, keep a fully charged battery booster/starting pack in the house.
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By Chris99

If fitted then immobilisers

I have an immobiliser. I shall monitor the situation !
Posted By: Ray

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 03:24 PM

Solar has worked for me this winter, while car was off road for two months. It is a small caravan type,from maplins.,.. sadly no more.
Posted By: Button

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 03:57 PM

My +8 Bitsa has an Odyssey PC680 (small motorcycle battery). I have a Lithium Battery car starter with flashlight. Quite small and does the job. $60U.S. found online.

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 04:43 PM

I've got one of the power packs, great in an emergency.
Posted By: Stephen888

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 04:51 PM

Eight/ten weeks dormant not an issue on my +8. Starts fine. Has a battery kill switch
Posted By: meabh

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 04:55 PM

My last three Morgans had that red kill switch between the seats ,on the saddle board. Can I use it on the Roadster? Step forward Dave and co.
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 05:01 PM

The Red kill switch is the best one - I use it every time when I park up and the battery lasts for weeks and weeks.

I never use a battery charger on any of the Morgan's I've had over the 15 years by throwing the Red switch it works everytime.

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 07:54 PM

There my "little specials":

The garage ist a little bit away from the house.
Than it is a typical german 1960ies one. Ten garages in a row with a steel concrete roof, with a special tarmac as a top layer.

To repair it is a little bit expensive, so I don't want to drill a hole for a solar in it.
And: when I'm the first, others will follow. Holes in a waterproof construction - water will find the way.

So no electric in or nearby, no solar option.

And: it's clear a 12.4V battery is not full powered by three turns around the corners. Most as possible car electric switched off, if the engine is warm turning up the revs for more power from the dyno (correct word?).

My main intention: don't be affraid about a low voltage, and enjoy every loading possibility ;-)

René

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 15/03/19 08:23 PM

It's only a thin cable that can be run through joint or frame of doors to the soler panel.
Posted By: John V6

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 16/03/19 09:47 AM

I mounted mine vertically on the outside wall. It doesn't need to be on the roof.

Re: starting or not starting new +4 - 16/03/19 05:47 PM

Mines behind a perspex window.
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News