Talk Morgan

Morgan factory tour

Posted By: SAE

Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 01:23 PM

Hi Guys very excited as coming from the US in a week to London and just bought tickets to the factory tour and was looking for a recommendation for a nice hotel near the factory.Also anybody have any recommendations on things to see or visit on the drive from London to Malvern.I have a 2000 Morgan plus 8 that i have owned for 13 years and always wanted to go to the factory.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 01:35 PM

Have never stayed near the factory.
Assuming you are driving the Windsor, Stonehenge or Avebury could be en route.

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 01:40 PM

Yes driving thanks for the suggestions
Posted By: JCK

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 02:09 PM

I'm assuming you'll take the M40 and cut through the northern Cotswolds, an area worth exploring if you like pretty stone villages. Off the M40 is Oxford, which might appeal, and to the north near Woodstock is Blenheim Palace, a spectacular country house and Churchill's birthplace.
Why not make time to explore the Malvern area itself? Drive around and/or walk on the hills--public access, lots of paths and benches, fine views. In the south portion near Wyche Cutting is a good Iron Age hill fort (British Camp). Over the hills are the picturesque town of Ledbury and lots of Herefordshire countryside.
Posted By: PhilRoyle

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 03:10 PM

Don`t forget the Morgan tour takes a couple of hours. The Elgar route is good if you are interested in music. The British Camp is a spectacular Iron Age Fort. Weston`s Cider Mill at Much Marcle is fascinating and does a good lunch in the restaurant. Worth looking up the English Heritage and National Trust websites to see what is in the areas you are travelling.
Posted By: Bourbonmog

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 03:16 PM

Driving and cell phone tips. If using at&t, get the $10 a day euro plan. Phone will work fine. However, the gps/map function will delay a bit so youll keep missing your turn on roundabouts. Garmin gps was superior.
If you drive the m40, you'll miss what makes the uk great. Take your time and drive the a or b roads. Just look right versus left!
South of malvern near Bristol is thornbury castle. The manager's grandfather worked for morgan. A once in a lifetime place to stay.
Posted By: meabh

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 03:26 PM

Look up Hotels in Malvern as I think that there are one or two close to the factory.
The tour remains fascinating even after numerous visits
Posted By: Budster

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By SAE
Hi Guys very excited as coming from the US in a week to London and just bought tickets to the factory tour and was looking for a recommendation for a nice hotel near the factory.Also anybody have any recommendations on things to see or visit on the drive from London to Malvern.I have a 2000 Morgan plus 8 that i have owned for 13 years and always wanted to go to the factory.

A 10 mile drive from the factory is the Feathers Hotel in Ledbury.
Well worth your consideration.

www.feathersledbury.co.uk
Posted By: Ray

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 04:15 PM

The Premier inn in Malvern is a reasonably priced overnight stop with an onsite restaurant for breakfast and evening meals.
Posted By: deano

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 04:32 PM

The Abbey Hotel in Malvern is good and close but a little more expensive than the budget hotels.
Posted By: RobCol

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 07:23 PM

I did the factory tour last week and enjoyed it. I stayed about 4 miles away at The Swan In the small village of Hanley Swan a 10 minute or so drive

https://www.thehanleyswaninn.com/

The Abbey as suggested by Deano is right in the centre of Great Malven where there's the Abbey and parks and shops. Its not much more than a mile from Morgan Motor Company.

https://www.sarova-abbeyhotel.com/

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info most of the suggestions for hotels were either booked for July 1 or didn’t have 2 beds available as going with a friend but was able to get a room at the Stanbrook abbey in Worcester.If anybody knows anything about it let me know.Can you buy parts at the tour?Looking for touch up paint and possibly leather dye and steering wheel.
Posted By: RobCol

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 09:48 PM

I stayed at Stanbrook Abbey last year and called in for a coffee last week. Very nice hotel with a modern entrance and downstairs bar in a period building. Nice Hotel and convenient too, I dont know why I didnt suggest it!

I spent about an hour in the MMC shop before the tour. You can buy most of the things that are for sale online on the MMC website. Its more clothing and accessories than parts that are for sale although if you needed parts then perhaps they could be pre ordered in advance? I'm sure someone on here will know.

The only touch up paint for sale was some chip kits in specific non standard colours. Id say you'd be very lucky to find your paint colour touch up. In the UK we tend to get touch up paint made up at car paint suppliers.

I didn't see any leather dye or steering wheels for sale but I may be wrong about the steering wheels.

Enjoy your trip!
Posted By: Metal Micky

Re: Morgan factory tour - 16/06/19 10:43 PM

Stanbrook Abbey was a Nunnery until the nuns moved out as there were very few left to manage the Abbey. if you stay there you can go on a tour of the place which is fascinating.
The food is excellent and the views stunning.
I Might be your guide ? what date and time are you coming.

Re: Morgan factory tour - 17/06/19 12:46 AM

Thanks RobCol really appreciate the feedback.I come on July1 driving from London and am on the 2:30 Morgan tour then will go to the hotel.Could take the tour on morning of the 2nd but do have a flight out of Heathrow at 6pm or 1800.Thanks to all
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Morgan factory tour - 17/06/19 06:51 AM

Looks like one of Colin's tours Mike smile

Re: Morgan factory tour - 02/07/19 06:40 PM

On plane home but wanted to say how much i loved Morgan tour.tour was great and to see all those Morgan’s was magical guess i am just old fashioned but not loving the new plus 6 still a classic guy.Was also taken back that plus 6 is only available as an automatic or non clutch as rowing those gears is so much part of the experience in my opinion.Spent 3 days in London touring and owing to the Yankees baseball games which we won and must say everywhere we went the people where extremely nice and very helpful what a great place to live.The Stanbrook Abbey was really interesting and very nice plus reasonable.Thanks to all for your input.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News