Talk Morgan

Greasing the kingpins

Posted By: Gambalunga

Greasing the kingpins - 18/07/19 10:41 AM

Decided to grease the kingpins this morning. When away from my compressor I have a very nice grase pistol that takes cartridges. The socket at the end of the flexible tube pops on the nipples quite easily and grips well. It never pops off by itself and never leaks.

That is the problem. It goes on the nipple easily enough but doesn't want to come off. The bottom one can be prised off with a screw driver blade but when on the top nipple there is not a point to lever against and it requires a lot of tugging to get it off.

I now have two nicely skinned knuckles swear

Note to self: Next time wear the gloves you knew that you should have been wearing in the first place idea
Posted By: Uther

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/07/19 12:02 PM

Or fit one of these to grease pistol if you can

https://www.revolutionindustrial.com.au/new-alemlube-quick-release-one-hand-grease-gun-cou
Posted By: Deejay

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/07/19 12:25 PM

Or a “G-coupler” as found on ebay. It really works. Holds on at any reasonable angle without grease escaping and easy to remove.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/07/19 12:26 PM

That looks interesting. I will see if it is available in Europe. Thanks for posting.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/07/19 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Deejay
Or a “G-coupler” as found on ebay. It really works. Holds on at any reasonable angle without grease escaping and easy to remove.

Seems to be exactly the same thing as the Alemlube unit if the photo on Amazon Italy is anything to go by. I found it searching for "quick release grease gun coupler".
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/07/19 02:06 PM

More difficult with a flex hose I agree but you need to move the locked on grease head sideways until it reaches the limit of movement determined by shape of grease nipple. Further pressure sideways will allow leverage and it will/should suddenly drop off. Much easier when grease head attached to solid pipe. Trying to pull off straight will generally not work!
Posted By: John V6

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/07/19 03:22 PM

Or you pull up the air release valve on the grease gun to let off the pressure.
I now use this gripper & it is brilliant. well worth £7.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nipple-Gripper-Locks-On-Stays-On-Grease-Gun-G-Coupler-1-8-BSP-UK-STOCK/273778872326?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/07/19 04:16 PM

Thanks John, never tried that. Only ever used the air release valve after topping up with grease or when lever goes limp.
Posted By: Luddite

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/07/19 06:23 PM

My ancient Wanner grease gun and the ex WD predecessor both had two valves on their body, one of which is used when the lever is not able to pump the grease just loaded, that valve when opened bleeds air out of the pressurising cylinder through a bleed hole which once the air is dispelled, oozes grease out of the bleed hole. The second valve bleeds the delivery tube to allow easy removal of the gun`s connector to the nipple of the object to be greased.

I suspect any grease gun should lock on to the nipple really tightly in order to deliver a rather high pressure as may be required on some items to force the grease in to areas where old grease may have hardened or other detritus has built up inhibiting the distribution of grease which requires quite a locking force on the nipple.... Forcing the gun off the nipple can wear the head of the nipple around which the gun connector grips to the extent that the ability of the gun to grip the nipple may in time be reduced...

Happy greasing...(-:

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/07/19 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Wood
More difficult with a flex hose I agree but you need to move the locked on grease head sideways until it reaches the limit of movement determined by shape of grease nipple. Further pressure sideways will allow leverage and it will/should suddenly drop off. Much easier when grease head attached to solid pipe. Trying to pull off straight will generally not work!

A good tip Richard. I did a bit of searching and found this. I just might try it in the morning.

Posted By: Lowflyer

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 05:53 AM

Agree with Luddite, i have 2 Wanner grease guns, the first i bought 54 years ago, the 2nd i bougnt from ebay secondhand £25. Wanner is the grease guns of choice.
You should then contact "The Nipple Shop" and source one of thier Remote greasing kits for Morgan. It consists of 2 x 2 nipple manifolds, one located on each of the inner wings and connected to the upper and lower grease points with poly tube. About an hour installation time. A great bit of kit, it allows easy greasing, you only need to lift the bonnets, great when you're touring.
Posted By: tmg513

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lowflyer
Agree with Luddite, i have 2 Wanner grease guns, the first i bought 54 years ago, the 2nd i bougnt from ebay secondhand £25. Wanner is the grease guns of choice.
You should then contact "The Nipple Shop" and source one of thier Remote greasing kits for Morgan. It consists of 2 x 2 nipple manifolds, one located on each of the inner wings and connected to the upper and lower grease points with poly tube. About an hour installation time. A great bit of kit, it allows easy greasing, you only need to lift the bonnets, great when you're touring.

I have exactly the same grease gun setup but I prefer to jack the car up to grease the kingpins rather than fit the remote kit. It gives me a chance to look under the car and make sure nothing's dropped off plus it's a great conversation starter when touring.
Posted By: SFG

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 08:17 AM

I have the remote kit and have my routine sorted now
1. Release bonnet catches both sides. Raise one side. Grab some kitchen roll
2. Put on gloves ( purloined from garage forecourt)
3. Remove two nipple caps
4 grab gun and put 3 squirts in blue, one in red
5. Wipe excess with kitchen roll and replace nipple caps, lower bonnet
6. Raise the other side bonnet and remove nipple caps
7 Repeat greasing
8. Repeat wipe excess and replace nipple caps
9. Stash grease gun
10. Reach under each kingpin and inner wheel rim and feel for any excess
11. Remove gloves and close bonnet catches

Takes about 2 minutes, and no muck on my nice trousers and shirt.
When touring this allows you to have that conversation with the chap beside you who is lying underneath his car trying to locate his grease nipples in the dark.😙
Posted By: Paul F

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SFG

When touring this allows you to have that conversation with the chap beside you who is lying underneath his car trying to locate his grease nipples in the dark.😙

While someone else does the dance of the light sensor to keep the underground garage lights on.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 08:24 AM

I remember it well. I was the one under the car!
Posted By: Redfate

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 08:42 AM

+1 on this :-)
Originally Posted by SFG
I have the remote kit and have my routine sorted now
1. Release bonnet catches both sides. Raise one side. Grab some kitchen roll
2. Put on gloves ( purloined from garage forecourt)
3. Remove two nipple caps
4 grab gun and put 3 squirts in blue, one in red
5. Wipe excess with kitchen roll and replace nipple caps, lower bonnet
6. Raise the other side bonnet and remove nipple caps
7 Repeat greasing
8. Repeat wipe excess and replace nipple caps
9. Stash grease gun
10. Reach under each kingpin and inner wheel rim and feel for any excess
11. Remove gloves and close bonnet catches

Takes about 2 minutes, and no muck on my nice trousers and shirt.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by SFG
I remember it well. I was the one under the car!

With the smallest grease gun I have ever seen IIRC.

Good trip that one.

I have fitted a remote greasing kit now. It makes things a lot easier. I also have the grease gun mounted under the bonnet - one less thing to store inside the car when touring.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 11:24 AM

Good idea Paul - photo please?

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SFG
Good idea Paul - photo please?

For you sir, of course.

Forgive the scruffy microfibre cloths - I use old ones as a wiper when touring and also to keep the grease gun in place. I might get around to making a posh lid one day. But then again ...

Just be careful of the clearance to the bonnet - a first attempt at a lid using 12mm plastic wood fouled the bonnet and marked the underbonnet paint - schoolboy error!

[Linked Image]

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 01:17 PM

Paul,
how does the grease stand up to the under bonnet heat? Doesn't it tend to drip from the nozzle?

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 01:39 PM

Lowflyer, while pleased that we share similar thinking re grease gun operation and are related through our choice of "weapons", I am not seeking to develop a team or create argument.... just discussion.. blush

As for Paul F`s pic of his grease gun, why do I have voices in my head repeating EXTERMINATE over and over.. rofl

The old Wanner gun I have is very powerful and compact in that the slightly kinked delivery tube unscrews and can be laid alongside the body of the gun..to reduce it`s overall dimensions when touring.

Yup, you meet the nicest folk while greasing which can be helpful while touring touring, I have done a bit of that, though trying to find a supply of grease in a foreign country where one does not speak the language.... well that is another story from times past, though today with interweb connectivity to mobile phones and thus all that becomes available both good and bad.... I guess finding that the Italian word for grease is Grasso would be so much easier now....? smile

While I can still (just) manage to roll around on the garage floor, one of those remote greasing kits is beginning to look ever more attractive.. smile
Posted By: britmog

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 02:07 PM

Always tilt and twist even when greasing your nipples!!!

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 03:59 PM

I still have reservations on remote greasing. Some is better than none but how can one be sure that 2 or 3 pumps is sufficient, as much depends on how much grease was displaced since last greasing and also how much grease is dispensed with each pump. I like to see it start to ooze and have never achieved that with 3 pumps. A friend has always used remote greasing and has just been told his 2013 +4 with less than 20k requires new pins to pass the MOT. I am still going strong at 33k!
Posted By: nick w

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Deejay
I still have reservations on remote greasing. Some is better than none but how can one be sure that 2 or 3 pumps is sufficient, as much depends on how much grease was displaced since last greasing and also how much grease is dispensed with each pump. I like to see it start to ooze and have never achieved that with 3 pumps. A friend has always used remote greasing and has just been told his 2013 +4 with less than 20k requires new pins to pass the MOT. I am still going strong at 33k!

I now have the remote fitted. I just listen carefully, you can hear when the oozing starts.
Nick

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 05:58 PM

Oozing starts on mine from top nipple after around six or seven full pumps of Abnox Wanner one handed grease gun. Yes you can hear it. Can't see how it can be any less with remote greasing though confused2

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 06:35 PM

Agreed you can hear the grease go pop from the lower nipple.
Posted By: Craig Jezz

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 06:49 PM

My gun is a bit of an over kill, but once it’s pushed on the nipple it locks in place with no grease spillage

[Linked Image]

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by John V6
Paul,
how does the grease stand up to the under bonnet heat? Doesn't it tend to drip from the nozzle?

Not that I have noticed. Hottest ambient temperature to date has been mid 30s on the quay side in Bilbao.

I think the Moly grease melts at rather a high temperature and so there is not a problem.

BTW
- when touring - 3-5 pumps per nipple and a quick check for excess
- when at home - listen carefully and pump until I hear the crackle of excess grease then a thorough check for excess, a full wipe down and a check for anything loose underneath.

Currently on 26k on the first set of Kinpins.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/07/19 08:41 PM

I got about 50,000 km (30 K miles) out of my first set. Now replaced with hard chromed kingpins.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 20/07/19 07:30 AM

41k on Devol bushes so far but I expect they will need changing soon
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 20/07/19 11:31 AM

41k on Devol bushes so far but I expect they will need changing soon

John, you must be one of the only S1's still on Devol, 'orrible things, somewhere I've got an old kingpin which I saved to show how the bushes trap fine grit then swell in damp weather and grind away the kingpin on its loaded side - nasty

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 20/07/19 11:55 AM

Well they might have been changed before I bought it at 9k but I doubt it.
When I bought it I had gaiters fitted to the top & bottom springs.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 20/07/19 05:13 PM

My 85 +8 has had it`s king pins and bronze bushes replaced at 33k miles, though bought stainless king pins and stuck with bronze for the replacements, the king pins did not seem badly worn showing signs of corrosion at the location of the rebound spring, and scuffing in the area of the top bush... the bushes were worn and took a fair bit of effort to remove them in a 20 ton press.
Think I have a pic of the old king pin if anyone is interested.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 20/07/19 06:09 PM

Can I add that the lower gaiters were swopped from my +4 & were Mrs DWs best product.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 20/07/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gambalunga

A good tip Richard. I did a bit of searching and found this. I just might try it in the morning.

Originally Posted by britmog
Always tilt and twist even when greasing your nipples!!!

That is definitely the answer. I was so impressed at the ease of removal when I tried it that I made a little video.

Posted By: waikiore

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 20/07/19 09:09 PM

Great thanks for that Peter I use the same small gun and had the same issue, the Alemlube coupler is the G coupler from South Africa I checked them out here.
Posted By: Lowflyer

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 21/07/19 06:17 PM

Like your styledfg
Posted By: SwissMogFan

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 14/08/19 12:02 PM

Thanks for sharing the videos on undoing the grease gun.

I made the first greasing yestardy. I managed to do without liftig the car - despite babydoll.
Pressol gun.

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/183155795@N04/48535692677/in/datetaken-public/[/img]

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/183155795@N04/48535692677/[/img]

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/183155795@N04/48535692677/[/img]

[img]http://flickr.com/photos/183155795@N04/48535692677/[/img]

Still struggling with embedding Pictures into post.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 16/08/19 12:14 PM

Easier to just jack wheels off ground. You can then easily turn them on to full lock one way then the other to advantage access to nipples. You can also feel how stiff steering is before/after smile

BTW you need proper picture url's for them to display. You should be able to choose your picture on Flickr, then select share, then copy BBCode option and paste into post.
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 16/08/19 12:27 PM

[Linked Image]

greasing 2
by Werni Wehrli, on Flickr

[Linked Image]

greasing 1
by Werni Wehrli, on Flickr

Originally Posted by SwissMogFan
Thanks for sharing the videos on undoing the grease gun.

I made the first greasing yestardy. I managed to do without liftig the car - despite babydoll.
Pressol gun.

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/183155795@N04/48535692677/in/datetaken-public/[/img]

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/183155795@N04/48535692677/[/img]

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/183155795@N04/48535692677/[/img]

[img]http://flickr.com/photos/183155795@N04/48535692677/[/img]

Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 16/08/19 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by SwissMogFan
As Richard described and Jon has just demonstrated, you need to use the image URLs. On your Flickr page click the "Share" icon (the arrow bottom left)...

[Linked Image]

choose the BBCode tab, select a size and copy the string

[Linked Image]

...and paste it into your post like this...

[Linked Image]

Voila:

[Linked Image]greasing 2 by Werni Wehrli, on Flickr
Posted By: pete757

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 16/08/19 01:02 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183155795@N04/48535688492/

Hope you are ok as it looks like you have just been run over!
Posted By: SwissMogFan

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 16/08/19 01:07 PM

Thumbs up to Ian and Jon for showing the flickr-trick. I was working for 30 years in IT. Still a lot to learn.
Posted By: Fat Wolfie

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 17/08/19 06:06 PM

Following this thread lead me to buying a Wanner grease gun from EBay. No idea if I paid too much for it but fully refurbed and original box etc I just fancied it..
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233307102808

Excitedly waiting the postie now and then let the greasing fun begin joy
Posted By: N22MOG

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/08/19 07:49 AM

Sounds like the one I was winning until some bu99er outbid me at the last minute doh Would that have been you that paid £36 Fat Wolfie? innocent If it was I’m glad it went to a a Morgan owner.
Lots on EBay but not many that have been fully reconditioned. I guess I’ll have to struggle on with my cheap thing laugh2 (actually it’s not that bad and has served me well for the last 12 years).

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/08/19 09:58 AM

Sorry Steve but yes, that was I pantsdown

I was watching like a hawk and submitted a final bid of £50 with about 15 seconds to go.

But you’re welcome to borrow it any time cheers

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/08/19 07:25 PM

No worries Fat Wolfie, I was away for the weekend so wasn’t watching as the auction came to an end, but I doubt I’d have outbid you anyway. I hope the gun gives you years of satisfactory use. I’ll keep my eyes peeled for another refurbished one.
Posted By: SteveT

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/08/19 07:28 PM

£50 ! Crikey.. Both Mine were auto jumble buys from Kempton Park, £15. Usually there are a few about...
Posted By: RBW

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/08/19 07:50 PM

I was bidding on that one too and gave up at £35.

I won another for £9!
Posted By: SteveT

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 18/08/19 08:49 PM

Have a look on gumtree..several Wanners starting at £4.
Posted By: KEVFITZ

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/08/19 07:31 AM

Gumtree is a good option as mentioned by Steve...I got a second wanner from the site last year for £15...works perfect !!!!

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/08/19 09:59 AM

I must admit I hoped not to have to pay £50 for it, but knew that EBay would only make my bid just over the previous highest bid, which was £35.

But what I didn’t know was whether that £35 bid was from someone who had put a max bid of (say) £60, but showed as £35 as the previous highest had been £34. In which case, my bid wouldn’t have won and the guy who has bid £60 would have got it for £51.

Did I overpay at £36? Dunno, it’s fully refurbished and returnable if it doesn’t work, has the original box and instructions, and an extension pipe to make access to kingpins easier.

My fear would have been paying £20 and then finding it didn’t work properly, and then having to find and pay for someone to refurbish it for me. So this one seemed to be a simple solution.

As a complete aside, the seller called me regarding dispatch (like I asked him to) and was a very interesting chap. He used to have a Rover dealership in Gants Hill until the mid 70’s when Rover moved away from their traditional market and introduced the SD1. He reckoned it was a nightmare car with loads of build quality issues and complaints and so he sold up! He’s 76 now and spends his time buying the tools and fittings from small garages that are closing down and refurbishing the tools and selling them on eBay.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/08/19 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Fat Wolfie

Did I overpay at £36? Dunno, it’s fully refurbished and returnable if it doesn’t work, has the original box and instructions, and an extension pipe to make access to kingpins easier.

Definitely spend! Not worth a penny over £35 laugh2

Seriously, I'd have paid a bit more considering the condition, box, instructions etc.
Posted By: Arwyn Williams

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 19/08/19 12:27 PM

Picked a Wanner up at a car boot sale yesterday morning for 3 quid.

Arwyn
Posted By: IcePack

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 04/09/19 12:02 PM

The offside lower grease nipple of my 4/4 “appears” to be loose. Well it is screwed in tight, but the nipple itself has a little play in it. Seems to work fine, no oozing of grease.
Has anyone had this and does anyone know size & thread of the nipple as methinks I better get a spare.
smile thanks.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 04/09/19 01:23 PM

1/8 th BSP fits my 2011 +4. Just be careful of length. Check length of old against new so that when screwed in it doesn’t rub against king pin.
Posted By: IcePack

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 04/09/19 02:58 PM

Thanks, will order a couple.:)
Posted By: Anthony4/4

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 04/09/19 05:47 PM

My former car was a Spitfire, it came with a drawing of the whereabout of the grease nipples, and when to grease them. Does something simular exist for my 1980 4/4 ?
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 04/09/19 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Anthony4/4
My former car was a Spitfire, it came with a drawing of the whereabout of the grease nipples, and when to grease them. Does something simular exist for my 1980 4/4 ?

Anthony, gomog covers this and many other areas very well gomog
Posted By: Anthony4/4

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 04/09/19 06:49 PM

Thank you Richard, this is a great help!
Posted By: marshalben

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 06/09/19 02:39 AM

Ok, I have been following this thread and have a question. I have removed the oilers from the 54 and replaced it with a grease nipple. I have new king pins and used white lithium grease. I have tried to put grease in the king pins through the nipple and can't force grease through the nipples. Am I missing something about putting in the grease or do I need to get a grease gun that attaches to the compressors for more power? From some of the things I have read that when you rebuild the king pins with white lithium you don't need to worry about grease in the king pins. I only have 500 miles on these king pins.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ben

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 06/09/19 04:31 AM

Ben, from a dull memory my hand pumped grease gun supposedly can create up to 2000lbs pressure which should be more than enough to encourage grease to flow..?

In order to generate pressure in the area to be greased, the grease gun requires to lock on to the nipple, thus nipple type plays a part as does the nozzle on the gun.

If the length of thread on the nipples is too long they may be up tight against the king pin or other obstruction thus blocking off the hole..?

I tend to apply grease every 300 miles or so. Replaced my kingpins and bushes at circa 33k miles.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 06/09/19 06:42 AM

Agree with Luddite. Make sure the gun is latched on, and in line with the nipple. If it’s at an angle grease will squirt out round the edges.
I am also on 33k miles with original pins, greasing every 500 miles (and no gaiters!) and simply de-grease and clean up the rebound area once a year.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 06/09/19 06:46 AM

If you are talking about the top nipple you replaced instead of the oiler the tube is very narrow & some folk think it is unlikely grease will flow down it.
See GoMog
http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/remotegreasing.html
Posted By: Button

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 06/09/19 04:00 PM

If you are talking about the top nipple you replaced instead of the oiler the tube is very narrow & some folk think it is unlikely grease will flow down it.
See GoMog
http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/remotegreasing.html

I have extended the grease galley about 4" on all 3 of My Morgans. So I do not have to crawl under My Morgans to grease the lower bush. Extending the grease galley is not hard but it is time consuming. The KP must be removed from the drill press very often and the chips knocked out and blown out with compressed air. I doubt I can drill more than an 1/8" with out knocking the chips out. I use a 3 jawed chuck from My late to hold the pin. I suppose I could do this on My lathe but for some reason I am more comfortable using the drill press. If you can not do this yourself don't pay a Machinist to do it. Not worth it
Posted By: marshalben

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 08/09/19 06:25 PM

Well, I opened up my wallet and bought a better grease gun. It was able to develop enough pressure to push the grease into the top of the king pins. So, now the king pins are greased upper and lower. I am learning to buy good quality tools rather than the cheap ones.

Thanks for all the advice.

Ben
Posted By: Kevcaster

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 16/09/19 06:19 PM

OK two dumb questions coming up.
Before I get there this thread has been immensely useful and like Gambalunga discovered that I needed a grease gun after I had bought our Morgan. I had a reason to call Cain to understand what might be possible in tackling the Morgans propensity to bottom out rather more frequently than I liked and asked him what gun he used, apparently a 50 year old John Deere - I found one and bought that. It is a big gun and after reading a thread about toolkits on tour I found I might need a smaller unit to carry with us, found this thread and then found a secondhand Wanner on eBay for £30 with a rigid and flexible hose. I’ve gone from never owning a grease gun to a two gun man.
Anyway I’m about to make my first foray underneath a Morgan and grease whatever I find and here is the first question. I assume there are grease nipples top and bottom and I hear references to an ‘oiler’ - is the oiler the top nipple or something else?
Second question. The Wanner is a compact unit and currently full of old grease and so I cannot see if it takes a cartridge or has to be manually filled. What do you guys think? If it takes a small cartridge where can I source these, an internet search did not show much.
I also really appreciate all the advice an help on this forum it is a fantastic resource for the new Morgan owner, nice banter too.
Kevin

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 16/09/19 07:03 PM

Congrats on being a two grease gun guy... (-: To fill my Wanner I give a half turn on the black handle at the bottom which disconnects it`s grip on the body of the gun, exposing a link or two of chain, which is connected to a piston in the guns cylinder/body.

Now holding the gun firmly you can pull on the chain which will draw the piston down the body of the gun against the strong internal spring.. using the slot either side of the central hole through which the chain runs, in order to lock any link you choose to hold the piston at any particular position of it`s stroke.

with the pressure off the piston you can unscrew the head off the other end of the gun`s body and if the grease now exposed is old and hard, best get your fingers dirty and get it out...

If required you can release the spring pressure to allow the piston to rise, using the chain to lock the piston at any particular height..

The idea of recharging the gun was in times past cans of grease had a tight fitting cover over the grease within the can which had a hole in it`s centre… The idea being that you could refil the gun with the head removed, by holding it in place over the hole and while pressing down on the gun you pull on the chain at the same time thus pressurising the grease and sucking it into the gun..

Whether you find this works for you or not...?

Me I tend yo just fill the gun with my fingers trying to trap as little air as possible.

Once full, just screw the head back on and release the chain links allowing the spring to pressurise the grease within the gun, hold the gun upside down and allow the loose chain links to fall back into the gun, replace the black handle.

Chances are that your gun will not pressurise the grease, as the pumping mechanism will have air in it due to the refilling process.

You should have two BLEED screws the one sticking out of the back of the head is an air bleed screw, if you unscrew that you will hear air escaping, followed by an ever growing worm of grease, best to shut that off once after perhaps 20mm of work has escaped..

The gun should now pump grease when the handle is operated..

The other bleed valve on top of the head is to release pressure should the gun be fixed to the nipple with pressure which can happen if there is some sort of blockage and you have pumped up the pressure to the max you can and no grease escapes from the suspension.... if you use the bleed valve thumb screw it will then allow you to disconnect the nozzle.

Hope this helps.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 16/09/19 08:01 PM

Your car will have two grease nipples on each kingpin. I usually turn the steering wheel completely to one side and then to the other. This gives good access whilst lying in front of the car. Some prefer to jack up the front of the car but I have never bothered. Obviously you need something to clean the dirt and any grease from around the nipple. I use paper kitchen towels. For the nipple on the stub axle you can usually see when sufficient greas has been pumped in because some will start to exude around the top of the stub axle. For the nipple that is in the top of the kingpin 4 or 5 pumps should be sufficient.

I usually clean as much as I can the lower spring and the exposed surface of the kingpin then I put a little fresh grease around the spring. Some also use gaiters on the lower rebound springs.
Posted By: Kevcaster

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 17/09/19 07:20 AM

Luddite, Gambalunga this is great and I really appreciate the advice and information, I feel my confidence growing.
I’ll let you know how it goes
Kevin

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 17/09/19 10:20 PM

Have adopted Cain Poulter's suggestion of using a long old sock fed round the lower end of hub and top of rebound spring to remoce excess old grease. Held tight and pulled from side to side it removes the grease without smearing inside of disc.

Re: Greasing the kingpins - 17/09/19 10:51 PM

Have adopted Cain Poulter's suggestion of using a long old sock fed round the lower end of hub and top of rebound spring to remoce excess old grease. Held tight and pulled from side to side it removes the grease without smearing inside of disc.

I wonder what the boys in the local football club would think if I asked them for their old socks? grin2
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News