Talk Morgan

Tracking down Dad's Morgan...

Posted By: TBM

Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 19/07/19 08:57 AM

My Dad had a rare interim model 1954 Plus 4 4 seater in the late 50's, early 60's

[Linked Image]

With the help of Mike Pullen (exMHR), various members of a facebook group and some of the US MSCC clubs, we've identified it and have got as far as this advert:

Morgan Sale

I've tried to contact the owner via the ad, but not had any response. There are rumours that it's now back in the UK but can't substantiate that at the moment.

Anyone know where it is? Chassis P3041
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 19/07/19 09:16 AM

Good luck, other than the fact it's entry 729 on the Morganville register and in the States that's all I can establish which I expect is old news to you.
Posted By: TBM

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 19/07/19 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by +8Rich
Good luck, other than the fact it's entry 729 on the Morganville register and in the States that's all I can establish which I expect is old news to you.


Yeah, it's got quite a good digital footprint going back 10 years, having been up for sale at a Sotheby's auction in Fort Lauderdale in 2009 and a subsequent sale in St. Louis,MO.

It would be quite nice to 'connect' the current owner with the history of the car, as it appears in quite a few publications.
Posted By: flyfisher

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 19/07/19 04:26 PM

That’s a very rare interim cowl +4, only I think 19 made so should be it easier to trace!

Evidently built between flat rad and cowled cars

I saw one at Goodwood members meet so might it it and now in south of England, no harm in asking someone like Brands Hatch if the know who has it now?
Good luck.
Posted By: TBM

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 19/07/19 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by flyfisher
That’s a very rare interim cowl +4, only I think 19 made so should be it easier to trace!

Evidently built between flat rad and cowled cars

I saw one at Goodwood members meet so might it it and now in south of England, no harm in asking someone like Brands Hatch if the know who has it now?
Good luck.


I think there are only three that are currently unaccounted for - this being one of them. Even rarer as a four seater!
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 19/07/19 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by flyfisher
I saw one at Goodwood members meet so might it it and now in south of England,...?

Presumably this one (Revival 2014) also a 4-seater...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: TBM

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 23/07/19 06:42 PM

Latest info is that there is a possibility that the Plus4 has made its way back to the UK. I don't think it's the green one as lights, bumper and mirrors are different. Keep your eyes peeled for a canary yellow interim! Will contact MSCC to see if it's registered with them
Posted By: Garethseries1

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 23/07/19 10:44 PM

AMX was the late Pat Kennett car that he used to sprint and hill climb in the 1980s
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 24/07/19 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Garethseries1
AMX was the late Pat Kennett car that he used to sprint and hill climb in the 1980s


Gareth, you would be very welcome at the South Yorkshire noggin & perhaps share some of your knowledge
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 24/07/19 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by TBM
Latest info is that there is a possibility that the Plus4 has made its way back to the UK. I don't think it's the green one as lights, bumper and mirrors are different.

Yes indeed. I realise my post was ambiguous, I meant it was presumably the example that flyfisher had seen at the Members' Meeting, not the one you are seeking. Still, it is good news that it may be back in the UK. Should be easy to spot if it's still that colour.
Posted By: Garethseries1

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 26/07/19 09:23 AM

Hi Jon, where and when
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 26/07/19 02:09 PM

Gareth, assuming you're in the MSCC it's listed at the back of Miscellany under Yorkshire Centre

3rd Tues of each month
Bay Horse PH, Scholes Village, nr Rotherham, S61 2RQ
Posted By: Garethseries1

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 26/07/19 10:03 PM

Yes Jon, I'll try to make it on the 20th next month.
Posted By: Garethseries1

Re: Tracking down Dad's Morgan... - 27/07/19 02:23 PM

OK memory lane time. Back in the 80's I was at the 75th do in the three counties show ground talking to Pat. We were stood next to an interim +4 not sure if it was a 2 or 4 str I think it was cream with red wings. Pat didn't notice at first as it had a later type grill.
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News