Talk Morgan

The future of the Trad.

Posted By: Quicksilver

The future of the Trad. - 13/09/19 11:11 AM

Since getting back into Morgans after a hiatus of a few years, it seems there is more uncertainty around the future of the Traditional Morgan. I can sense the buzz and excitement around new models, such as the Plus 6, which looks a terrific car but I have to say is not for me - its not what I would call a "Trad" - and my love is for the traditional Morgan, with all its characteristic handling foibles.Obviously the management and ownership changes at Morgan also cause anxiety.

I had a taste of this uncertainty last week when I called my dealer and was told that the future of the Roadster was in doubt as it was possible that the 3.7 Cyclone engine might not pass emissions tests. Fortunately, when I called yesterday to put my deposit down for a new Roadster build they said that the future looked brighter as the 3.7 has passed emissions and the factory has a large batch of engines waiting to go into cars. I was offered a November/December build slot but I have requested a March 2020 one which suits me better. However, I had the feeling that if the 3.7 had failed emissions, Morgan were not too bothered about looking for a replacement engine and would prefer to steer Roadster purchasers into a more expensive Plus 6.

I'm happy for all the new Morgans that are being developed and marketed and anything that increases the buzz around Morgan is a good thing. But is it possible that Morgan will kill the goose that laid the golden egg and tail of production of the Trad's? Perhaps they no longer see the Trad as a a "golden goose" but as a millstone around their necks? Hope I'm wrong in this and just being overly sensitive.
Posted By: DaveW

Re: The future of the Trad. - 13/09/19 11:49 AM

Well, it would be a foolish company who chose not to produce a product for which there is a continuing demand.

But Car manufacturers are different and routinely replace models which sell well, for facelifts and upgrades, and new platforms.

It's a matter of volumes, and engine availability. In theory, in future MMC, or another company, could sell a rolling completed car to which you fit your own engine and gearbox, preconfigured for Ford...…..

I hope the Trad prevails, even if the numbers are small. The backbone of Morgan owners favour the simplicity of the trad, but there are enough around to satisfy demand, even if they are no longer available new.

If the end comes, then I expect a big limited last edition announcement, like we had with the Aero Plus 8.
Posted By: Heinz

Re: The future of the Trad. - 13/09/19 12:15 PM

...or there is no final edition and it will be a very quiet exit through the back door with the Trads so that the public is not shaken up. And people shouldn't get the feeling that MMC is ending a long tradition (but that' s true, I say this without any judgement) and that the new models are just the logical continuity.
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: The future of the Trad. - 13/09/19 12:34 PM

I think it will all depend on profit margin and regulations

I can’t see a new 4/4 on the new CX platform getting down to £40K or even £45K for the current base price of a Plus 4

And being able to provide and sell a Morgan at £45K as opposed to a PlusSix at £80K puts Morgan ownership available to a massively wider market

If the trad is still even vaguely profitable for Morgan and it can be sold into a few European markets as it is within legislation then why kill it off
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: The future of the Trad. - 13/09/19 12:39 PM

Having said all that if you’ve been on the MMC News webpage recently, you would think MMC sell more pushbikes than cars
Posted By: PaulJ

Re: The future of the Trad. - 13/09/19 12:55 PM

I feel that MMC are running slightly behind but on a parallel path to Land Rover, who for various reason have now ditched the Defender which started their fortunes and moved considerably upmarket with the most recent iteration, which is not really in the same segment at all, in spite of its' name.

This is possibly the way that Morgan will go to, especially under new management who will be even more profit led, as they now have to make a return on their investment.

Re: The future of the Trad. - 13/09/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by PaulJ
I feel that MMC are running slightly behind but on a parallel path to Land Rover, who for various reason have now ditched the Defender which started their fortunes and moved considerably upmarket with the most recent iteration, which is not really in the same segment at all, in spite of its' name.

This is possibly the way that Morgan will go to, especially under new management who will be even more profit led, as they now have to make a return on their investment.

I must say things felt better when Charles was in control - at least from an enthusiast's point of view. I feel he got the balance right - looking at new platforms to take the brand forward, maintaining commitment to the trad's and re-introducing that original trad, the three-wheeler. Its true that so far that formula is still being followed, but the new investors bring a great deal of uncertainty into the mix. They will want a profitable return and that could take the company in new directions.

I wonder what Peter Morgan would have thought ?
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: The future of the Trad. - 13/09/19 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Since getting back into Morgans after a hiatus of a few years, it seems there is more uncertainty around the future of the Traditional Morgan. I can sense the buzz and excitement around new models, such as the Plus 6, which looks a terrific car but I have to say is not for me - its not what I would call a "Trad" - and my love is for the traditional Morgan, with all its characteristic handling foibles.Obviously the management and ownership changes at Morgan also cause anxiety.

I had a taste of this uncertainty last week when I called my dealer and was told that the future of the Roadster was in doubt as it was possible that the 3.7 Cyclone engine might not pass emissions tests. Fortunately, when I called yesterday to put my deposit down for a new Roadster build they said that the future looked brighter as the 3.7 has passed emissions and the factory has a large batch of engines waiting to go into cars. I was offered a November/December build slot but I have requested a March 2020 one which suits me better. However, I had the feeling that if the 3.7 had failed emissions, Morgan were not too bothered about looking for a replacement engine and would prefer to steer Roadster purchasers into a more expensive Plus 6.

I'm happy for all the new Morgans that are being developed and marketed and anything that increases the buzz around Morgan is a good thing. But is it possible that Morgan will kill the goose that laid the golden egg and tail of production of the Trad's? Perhaps they no longer see the Trad as a a "golden goose" but as a millstone around their necks? Hope I'm wrong in this and just being overly sensitive.

David, congrats on the new order - just one thing to be aware of that slightly caught me out when I delayed mine, MMC tend to release the new price list / increase just after the Geneva show

I don't know what sort of deal you've struck but sometimes the small print will be 'prices ruling at date of dispatch' type clause, which for you could be after Geneva (March + 4 weeks build + dispatch to dealer + PDI = mid May ?)
Posted By: MDS61

Re: The future of the Trad. - 13/09/19 02:59 PM

I think by this time next year...the trad will be no more. Everything has a time line and no room for sentiments in business!

I suspect that the new metric Morgan, maybe cheaper to build/produce?

I do see other engines in the metric chassis though, as the advert says "why wouldn't you!"

With the metric Morgans I would have a range of engines i.e.:

A 1 litre 3 cylinder petrol/turbo engine with circa 125 BHP
A 2 litre 4 cylinder petrol/turbo engine with circa 180 BHP
A 2 litre 4 cylinder petrol/turbo engine with circa 230 BHP
The current 3 litre
AND
A 3 litre 6 cylinder petrol/turbo engine with circa 420 BHP love

"why wouldn't you!" somestick

Re: The future of the Trad. - 13/09/19 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by CooperMan
Originally Posted by Quicksilver

David, congrats on the new order - just one thing to be aware of that slightly caught me out when I delayed mine, MMC tend to release the new price list / increase just after the Geneva show

I don't know what sort of deal you've struck but sometimes the small print will be 'prices ruling at date of dispatch' type clause, which for you could be after Geneva (March + 4 weeks build + dispatch to dealer + PDI = mid May ?)

Thanks CooperMan - you're right and I remember I had a similar issue with my first roadster order which went into build in the Spring of 2013.Perhaps I will see if I can bring my date forward about one month.
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: The future of the Trad. - 14/09/19 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by MDS61
Everything has a time line and no room for sentiments in business!

Surely Morgan is a living demonstration of that not being true.
Posted By: Heinz

Re: The future of the Trad. - 14/09/19 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ian Wegg

+1
at least if we consider the last 60 years or even more which are eons in the world of car industries.
Posted By: Peter J

Re: The future of the Trad. - 14/09/19 10:48 AM

Lotus moved on from the 7, but recognising there was a demand, licensed the design to Caterham, who carried on evolving the 7.
It would be a smart move for MMC to licence the 4/4 to a third party to build and to support all the existing 4/4s.
Or, using Aero Racing, they could do it themselves.

Re: The future of the Trad. - 14/09/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Wegg

+2

I feel that Morgan has been sentimental in many of its decisions it has taken and in the long term that has been good for business and has generated a devoted following for the brand. If they abandon the Trad then I would say Morgan has decided to move exclusively upmarket and in the long term I don’t think that will turn out well for them. Keeping the Trads and developing up market platforms that riff on the Trad would seem a sound tactic and will bring them the best of both worlds.
Posted By: Luddite

Re: The future of the Trad. - 14/09/19 09:40 PM

I have zero idea of who might want to buy a new z chassis Trad these days..? I suspect there may ever be Trad Morgans available second hand from old wrecks to garage queens, and perhaps their availability will grow in time as those of us who own them loose our grip on the perch..?

Of course if there are those fired up with enthusiasm for a Trad, I am sure that there will be restorers a plenty out there who could restore/recreate a Trad to a better extent than any that might have left the factory..?

As for new buyers I do wonder what they think they are buying into... Having spent a few years reading of ...err..mature folks finally getting round to buying a Morgan after time spent in BMW, Jag or Merc or even Ford (-: saloons, and having become well used to the build quality, comforts and after sales service such manufacturers provide, it seems some can be quite shocked by a variety of aspects that are/were discovered to be the reality of their Morgan ownership....?

I have read of individuals spending much time, money and effort trying to un-Morgan their Morgan..(-: Be it changing suspension trying to make it more comfortable, or seeking to get more power from an ancient engine, I even read where a different engine was installed REDUCING ground clearance and a tube installed to save the sump..!!!!!! Jeez there are and always have been plenty of folk out there who think they can do a better job than Morgan, and some of them perhaps could, and did, which is just fine if you are buying an inexpensive car in which you fully understand the design concept behind it`s construction, which was perhaps based on a fundamental package for possible "customer improvement." I fully expect that line of thought was perhaps acceptable for the more self reliant Morganeer that existed in the fifties and perhaps on into the sixties, dwindling somewhat in the UK until the classic car scene took off, attracting UK buyers back to the products that Morgan had on offer, all be it with disc brakes more modern engines gear boxes and diffs.... ?

I have looked at the early attempts to modernise Morgan with a bodywork makeover involving fibreglass on the antiquated underpinnings.. A bit like the attempt of Porsche to replace the 911 with the 928 as has been mentioned elsewhere.. though the engineering and budget were slightly different..the marque enthusiasts perhaps thought alike..? Unsure of the MMC linkage with Rob Wells when he created ROB 80 R which looked TRAD but sported improved front wishbone suspension, supercharged (?) engine new gearbox etc.etc.etc.... When change has been tried and perhaps failed to work out as hoped, I suspect it takes the confidence of new blood to take the next step and perhaps Charles tried that to some degree..?

As for the priorities of the new "young" potential buyers... I have not got a clue.

I fear when we live in litigious times where expectations of customers has increased exponentially in all areas, to the extent that those with perhaps known and life threatening food allergies rely on poorly paid restaurant staff to prepare and serve.. fast food.. that will hopefully not contain this that or the other to the customers very specific requirements... I am unsure that I would risk my life to a fast food outlet if I was unfortunate enough to suffer any such issues..

The trad Morgan has long carried with it risks that other vehicles of the same model year do not, based on the ever changing construction and use regs, which it seems some small volume manufacturers were/are (?) able to work around, though it seems to be an increasingly risky business to maintain that modus operandi, given the volumes of traffic on roads today. I have no idea of the crash testing methods employed to determine how safe or otherwise any Morgan might be but I suspect a trad would fall short of the average Euro-box in some situations... Seems to me that Morganeers are prepared to take risks on board....up to a point..but where that point may be..I have no idea.. But Morgan are not alone, given Caterham and others offer little protection and some in very high performance packages ..I think former m/cyclists Sailors, mountain climbers and others who indulge in ...err... less than cosseted pastimes, may have different risk management perceptions... Dunno for sure..?
Posted By: PHZI

Re: The future of the Trad. - 15/09/19 12:41 PM

Such a mixture of factors. Car manufacturers only make new cars not used so have to try and anticipate the future buyers demographic/needs. There will always be a demand for used trads of all vintages. Future influences? Technical/legislative requirements, buying demographic, prices. Morgan has had to develop new models to stay afloat. Imaginei if they had frozen deveopment in time, pick a date; mid eighties, mid nineties? Morgan would not be here now.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: The future of the Trad. - 15/09/19 02:03 PM

Other than mechanicals and relatively small changes in suspension and steering not much has changed since the '50s. Whilst I am relatively happy with the car that I have I was quite disappointed with some aspects of the car in the first year that I had it and was very critical of the antique chassis and suspension. I am one of those who spent quite a bit of money to bring the car just a little bit up to date. All things considered, if we take seven year's of inflation into consideration, the car has cost me almost as much as the Plus Six costs today and probably no more than the new CX Plus 4 which will certainly be announced in the near future.

Re: The future of the Trad. - 15/09/19 02:38 PM

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, as far as I can see, is where new buyers are coming from? I don't see todays millennials being attracted to the quaintness that is the trad. Unchanged in basic design for 50 - 60 years, that appeals to us baby boomers who cut their teeth on cars like this, but not later generations. My son, in his mid 40's, for example sees nothing interesting in my trad. the Caterham perhaps, so Morgan are obviously aware of potential new buyers, looking at what would appeal to the next generation down and having experimented with a couple of special edition 4/4 s, remember the speedster? Only 2 made and 1 sold I believe, they have obviously decided there is no future in that market, at least not a profitable one.

The other market segment is upmarket, they have dipped their toe in the water with the Aero range and this appears to be where they are off too soon. Who can blame them, even if it means their longest serving design is allowed to die?
Posted By: britmog

Re: The future of the Trad. - 15/09/19 03:28 PM

Luddite, I agree with your sentiment.

Just reading the M3W forum gives you a clear indicator of what current customers expect of a Morgan, there are new owners who knew exactly what they were buying into and within weeks become jaded. I am sure MMC will move on under the new ownership into the more exotic market of expensive niche vehicles. My concern going forward is the network of dealerships and skilled labor force who can work on the "traditional Morgans" and supply of parts.

35 years ago when I bought my first Morgan (still own it) I knew what I was buying and what lifestyle hobby I was entering into. When I bought the 2013 M3W 2 years ago I knew what I was buying and again what was going to be needed to be done to own it. As MMC move into new customer dynamics the Morgan as we know it will have to change or die.

Re: The future of the Trad. - 15/09/19 03:59 PM

To be fair, when the M3W was introduced it was appalling. Not only appalling but dangerous. I certainly didn't see much concern from MMC and I wondered how the directors slept at night with the thought that a customer could be killed due to the deficiency of the design and/or engineering.

However the market segment it opened up was more or less untapped and has been responsible for upgrades to various 4 wheelers, me amongst them.
Posted By: waikiore

Re: The future of the Trad. - 15/09/19 11:34 PM

To counter some of your discussion, and for the accountants to ponder on, why would you kill off a car that has been in production for over 80 years when : There is a steady demand, compliant engines are easy to source (they dont have to be BMW or Ford), you can market it well under 50 and make good money, people come to the factory (a profit center in itself) to watch it being built, no development costs.
I seriously dont believe that many would line up just to look at CX vehicles being assembled as opposed to 4/4s being created.
Posted By: lowebird

Re: The future of the Trad. - 17/09/19 07:45 AM

A very good point about the factory visits. If they are still allowed to build Trad. Morgans in the fashion we all remember, perhaps in an old wooden shed down the slope somewhere, then the factory could become a heritage centre with even more coach parties and they would be able to sell the cars we watched them make.
After all, the number of visits to the likes of Beamish and The Black Country Museum are an indication of what is possible or have I just had too much wine?

Re: The future of the Trad. - 17/09/19 09:40 AM

I agree 100% with the idea of making, and restoring older Morgans in a the HFS Heritage Centre, using the 1909 buildings whilst the CX cars are built in a new facility on the field.
Posted By: andymot

Re: The future of the Trad. - 04/10/19 06:50 PM

Talking to a dealer today regarding the "trad" type cars - I asked the direct question " how much longer will Morgan continue with the traditional type chassis cars?". The answer was clear " 2 years Max - most likely less than that". The new +6 CX chassis is the future of Morgan production. I know things change and evolve - but can't help feeling a bit jaded about it.
Posted By: Robbie

Re: The future of the Trad. - 04/10/19 07:02 PM

i think that a 2 l BMW turbo in a CX chassis is likely to be a fantastic car -- I hope they produce this or something similar - only that would tempt me away from my fantastic Plus 4!!!
Posted By: Jens

Re: The future of the Trad. - 06/10/19 05:16 PM

Andymot, that are sad news. Only two years? I would never buy a CX-Morgan, I keep my old one. I would not be surprised if the Morgans with the traditional chassis gets in future the nimbus of the real, especially the small body 4/4 and the powerful sound machine +8.

Posted By: Parisa

Re: The future of the Trad. - 06/10/19 06:57 PM

Trads are dead.
there are huge forces in the car industry and massive changes in market demand. Morgan are not immune to these changes, and the boomer generation is fading away. Morgan are right to retain the characterful bodies but modernise the underpinnings. Caterhams are totally different and still relevant (still niche of course).
8yr waiting list is long gone, in part because the prices rose so much, but also the target market is dying.

Electric trad body with sophisticated suspension would be my bet.
Posted By: madmax

Re: The future of the Trad. - 06/10/19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Parisa
Trads are dead.
there are huge forces in the car industry and massive changes in market demand. Morgan are not immune to these changes, and the boomer generation is fading away. Morgan are right to retain the characterful bodies but modernise the underpinnings. Caterhams are totally different and still relevant (still niche of course).
8yr waiting list is long gone, in part because the prices rose so much, but also the target market is dying.

Electric trad body with sophisticated suspension would be my bet.

Followed by hydrogen when its a sorted fuel which will end electric production ...
Posted By: nick w

Re: The future of the Trad. - 06/10/19 08:37 PM

Bear in mind that everyone said the trad was dead in the 60's just before Mick Jagger bought one. Didn't Peter produce the plus 4 plus because of the belief that the trad was dead?
Who knows what the future holds?
Nick
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: The future of the Trad. - 06/10/19 10:04 PM

Well it seems that the naturally aspirated engines have reached the end of their life because of excessive CO2 emmisions. At this point there is absolutely no sense in re-engineering the trad chassis to take small turbocharged engines.

I know nothing but I would have a little bet that 3 and 4 cylinder engines are already in CX series prototypes in the "skunkworks" at the Morgan factory, I would almost bet that they will be ready for release at the next Geneva show. The market for CX Morgans with a more "friendly" power plant will be much greater than that of the Plus Six. Due to volume production of the tub and lower hours for assembly I would also expect prices that will be comparable with current 4/4 and Plus 4 prices.
Perhaps even lower flyingpig flyingpig flyingpig

Re: The future of the Trad. - 07/10/19 07:17 AM

I’m glad I have a February build date for my Roadster. Morgan have secured a batch of Cyclone engines and the message I am getting is it may be the last batch, after which the Roadster will follow the Trad Plus 8 into extinction, possibly because it’s too close to the Plus 6. After that the Plus 4 and 4/4 May soldier on for a year or two. I think if there are further Trads after that they will be over priced limited editions to keep the heritage alive, but not regular production models.
Posted By: John V6

Re: The future of the Trad. - 07/10/19 08:09 AM

Sad if true. You would think they could go electric.
Posted By: Button

Re: The future of the Trad. - 07/10/19 07:15 PM

I just do not understand the fascination of electric cars because of their weight and lack of range.
Posted By: Fox Terrier

Re: The future of the Trad. - 07/10/19 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Button
I just do not understand the fascination of electric cars because of their weight and lack of range.

I think people are interested in the potential of electric cars rather than the current reality. (No pun intended).
Posted By: RobCol

Re: The future of the Trad. - 07/10/19 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gambalunga
Well it seems that the naturally aspirated engines have reached the end of their life because of excessive CO2 emmisions. At this point there is absolutely no sense in re-engineering the trad chassis to take small turbocharged engines.

I know nothing but I would have a little bet that 3 and 4 cylinder engines are already in CX series prototypes in the "skunkworks" at the Morgan factory, I would almost bet that they will be ready for release at the next Geneva show. The market for CX Morgans with a more "friendly" power plant will be much greater than that of the Plus Six. Due to volume production of the tub and lower hours for assembly I would also expect prices that will be comparable with current 4/4 and Plus 4 prices.

I think there's a place for a reasonable spec Morgan under £40K but seeing the first edition Plus 6's with the CX chassis are £92,000 upwards I also agree with the flying pigs!

There are still some unsold 12 month old 'new' unregistered 4/4's for sale nationally and one of the reasons for them remaining unsold perhaps is the 2017 onwards £320 annual road tax surcharge for the first 6 years on cars costing over £40,000 new

As much as I like my 4/4, I would find it hard to justify £160 plus £320 ie nearly £500 per year road tax for 1.6 litre weekend car, when my everyday cars cost less than £200 a year for both of them.

Posted By: Button

Re: The future of the Trad. - 07/10/19 11:01 PM

Not sure why a Turbo engine is not usable on a Trad. Somehow I have a feeling the Trad is struggling with other aspects of Government Regulations other than emissions.

Re: The future of the Trad. - 08/10/19 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gambalunga

Peter if hopefully this is true ie similar prices to the present Trad for a CX chassis Trad then there will be a lot of happy Mog owners !
Posted By: nick w

Re: The future of the Trad. - 08/10/19 10:51 AM

Surely the modern small turbo engines are smaller in dimensions than the engines in current trads? Why would the chassis need re-engineering?
There's loads of room in there........
Nick
Posted By: Carrotious

Re: The future of the Trad. - 08/10/19 11:18 AM

The whole CX taking over the Trad makes me uneasy....
One of the reasons I enjoy the +4 so much is that it is a mystery to most...
Frozen in time an anachronism...
The plus six is a modern car dressed as a horse and cart.
For the layman they will not tell the difference between the trad and the CX and that is going to be a bit of a stain on us trad owners...
Posted By: britmog

Re: The future of the Trad. - 08/10/19 02:27 PM

I am working on the basis that at 65 years of age I have another 15 years (hopefully more) of enjoying my 3 Morgans both from a driving and working on perspective. By then they will be dinosaurs in the motoring legislation world and no doubt be consigned to a museum or scrap heap.

Re: The future of the Trad. - 08/10/19 03:08 PM

Some Trad owners want a better suspension and handling which would be solved by having a CX chassis , some are happy with cart springs and sliding pillars and a ladder chassis !

Re: The future of the Trad. - 08/10/19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by madmax
Some Trad owners want a better suspension and handling which would be solved by having a CX chassis , some are happy with cart springs and sliding pillars and a ladder chassis !

After experiencing a trad chassis with SSL front end and 5 lever rear I'd say that it is almost as good, up to about 60mph, as the PlusSix.
In fact a really good 4/4 with that suspension could be a delight.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News