Talk Morgan

IN CAR SOUNDS..

Posted By: KEVFITZ

IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 04:32 PM

I don't have a radio in the Supersports and have been using a rechargeable dab radio with 3.5mm aux in for those tedious motorway journeys

I can use my mp3 through this set up.

However unit not loud enough above 60.

I wont use headphones in the car and have been looking at JBL Charge 3 portable rechargeable speaker and the Bose soundlink mini

Any comments/options/suggestions please other than keep speed below 60 !!!
Posted By: James B W

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 05:31 PM

how about something like this Kev. -

https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/hidden-audio/hidden-bluetooth-amplifier/

- you would need to add some decent (car audio) speakers which could take a bit of finagling, but worth it in the long term.

I mounted an additional two speakers on the rear 'firewall' of the Aero (as well as upgrading the front two).

It was a little un-nerving ,attacking the alloy panel with a Dremel cutter to create the mounting holes , but turned out well happy3

My reasoning was that you get to (predominantly) hear the rear two at low speeds and the front two when 'pressing on'.

I think that you are inevitably going to need some serious amplification to achieve the necessary volume levels......

James
Posted By: Malcolm T

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 05:37 PM

There have been a couple of threads about the Bose and this is one of them

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/343039/Searchpage/1/Main/24078/Words/%2Bbose+%2Bsoundlink/Search/true/re-alternative-to-radio-cd-etc#Post343039

May not be what you are after, but the comments about the Soundlink are all positive.

Malcolm
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 05:52 PM

An active subwoofer fixed to the front of passenger footwell worked superbly in my last Morgan

It was a Pioneer TSW130
Posted By: nick w

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 06:12 PM

I have used a thing called Bose soundwear.. It sits around your neck over your shoulders and gives an experience like wearing stereo headphones but as your ears aren't covered, you are still completely aware of surroundings. It's very good and perfectly loud enough. I found the soundlink not really loud enough when it was down on the transmission tunnel.
Nick

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 06:31 PM

Thanks for your suggestions..lots to investigate
Posted By: DaveW

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 06:45 PM

Just get a better exhaust...……...………….....
Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 06:58 PM

Never whinged like this before your hardtop...

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 07:02 PM

Pardon..I heard that !!!!
Posted By: britmog

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 07:08 PM

My Bluetooth hearing aids linked to my iPhone work a treat to hear music and the satnav, I wear either my cloth or leather (dependent on season) flying helmet which keeps out the wind noise.
Posted By: IvorMog

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 07:37 PM

You would look really cool in these.

Spectacle speakers.

Bose specs
Posted By: Carrotious

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 20/10/19 07:38 PM

I tried both Bose and charge 3 and found them too quiet.
Settled for Sony srx-xb41 which is quite loud.
Has 24 hour battery life too
Posted By: TBM

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 21/10/19 06:59 AM

I've got one of these, that fits nicely behind a front seat

Bluetooth Speaker

I've also fitted on of these to the dash. It's quite small and unobstrusive

Bluetooth Controller

Means I can use my phone as a DAB radio or MP3 player and control it from the dashboard so no chance of getting into trouble with the feds.
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 21/10/19 07:15 AM

I use a Megaboom 3 these days. I made a simple clamp to hold it between the seats. The iPhone sits in a tray on the rear of the gearbox cover. Tray and clamp were both produced on my 3D printer.
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 21/10/19 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hamwich
I use a Megaboom 3 these days. I made a simple clamp to hold it between the seats. The iPhone sits in a tray on the rear of the gearbox cover. Tray and clamp were both produced on my 3D printer.

Nice idea - I may put that on my Christmas list!
Posted By: pete757

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 21/10/19 09:19 AM

I believe there is a great new system by Alpine to give you the best Hi-Fi in a Morgan...

It's called Throttle Bodies!

You now have all the 'music' any proper petrol head could ever want! :>)

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 21/10/19 03:13 PM

Thanks again for your suggestions....

Pete757..I agree..there is no better sound that throttle bodies on hard acceleration.

Stand by for some Talk Morgan Consumer Information …

I approached my local friendly Currys/Pc World about my quest for an effective powerful rechargeable sound system that would give good quality sound at high speed.

They obliged me with 2 demo units to try out on the road !!!!

They clearly mistook me for a reputable character and let me go play in my Morgan +4 Supersports with hardtop fitted.

The units were a Bose soundlink mini at £149 and the JBL Charge 4 at £119

I used the same Jan Garbarek track from my MP3 player on both units..a saxophone based Jazz group with a good tonal range.

Up to 60 mph there was no clear difference between the units but on an imaginary motorway (A1M) and at an imaginary speed of 80--90 mph the Bose was max volume and not producing a good tonal output.

The JBL however was at 75% volume and produced a good play and tonal response...with more to go if required.

A clear winner for me and I purchased the JBL.

Clearly every Morgan cockpit will be different in terms of wind noise and exhaust roar but in my case the JBL wins.

It just goes to show that Talk Morgan is not all tits bums and Brexit but can offer good Consumer advice for your edification !!!!

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 21/10/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by KEVFITZ
... the JBL Charge 4 at £119
... good Consumer advice for your edification !!!!

Excellent review!

I see on Amazon that you can even get the JBL in Yellow, which may be of interest to some folk on here...

grin2
Posted By: BertR

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 21/10/19 08:23 PM

We need more of this comparative testing of products that are of interest to the morganeer!
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 22/10/19 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jon G4LJW
Originally Posted by KEVFITZ
... the JBL Charge 4 at £119

Excellent review!
I see on Amazon that you can even get the JBL in Yellow, which may be of interest to some folk on here...
grin2

Hmm, maybe. If only to plug a radio in for traffic news. Otherwise I just like to listen to the car smile

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 22/10/19 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
... I just like to listen to the car smile

thumbs

grin2
Posted By: Button

Re: IN CAR SOUNDS.. - 22/10/19 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jon G4LJW
Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
... I just like to listen to the car smile

thumbs