Talk Morgan

Rear View Mirror Problem

Posted By: Biglewey

Rear View Mirror Problem - 22/10/19 07:52 PM

Got a 2015 Plus 4. Rear view centre mirror is is a black plastic type with "dipping" mechanism.

When the sun shines on it the inside is very cloudy due to being dusty - it's not condensation.

I would like to clean the inside but cant see how to take it apart. Anybody done that and more importantly got it back together again!

Any advice appreciated...
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 22/10/19 08:39 PM

Most people replace it with a plastic-free classic mirror. Check Librands or your dealer.
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 22/10/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Biglewey
Got a 2015 Plus 4. Rear view centre mirror is is a black plastic type with "dipping" mechanism.

When the sun shines on it the inside is very cloudy due to being dusty - it's not condensation.

I would like to clean the inside but cant see how to take it apart. Anybody done that and more importantly got it back together again!

Any advice appreciated...

OE mirror seems to have reflecting filter even when not in dipped mode, i.e. a design feature. I fitted a mid size plain one from Krazy Horse which clips into OE screen mount. It is slightly convex to allow wider view despite being smaller which in turn allows full movement of the optional sun visors I have - win, win clap
Posted By: Robbie Mathisen

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 22/10/19 09:24 PM

Totally agree with Richard. Get rid of the ugly, big plastic thing, get a stainless convex one. You loose the dipping feature, but it really doesn't matter. However, a small mirror as opposed to a medium one is plenty enough. I got one from Heart of England this summer. They have two sizes, I choose the small one. Excellent view, and a bigger one would just let me see more of myself and the passenger's head rest....
Posted By: Nickplus4

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 23/10/19 05:55 AM

It is possible to pull it apart and clean it. Pull it off the arm that is stuck to the windscreen... it's a plastic ball joint. I'm away at the moment but IIRC you prise the larger surround away from the moulded back, carefully. I think the glass is then held in with some small plastic tabs from which you can even more carefully prise it free. It was all pretty obvious once I had take the plunge to prise off the surround. I've done mine twice now and it needs a further clean... I will buy a stainless one one day...
Nick
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 23/10/19 06:21 AM

My OE one came apart of its own volition, giving rise to the change. I later pushed and tugged on a few parts and it clicked back together, by then I'd replaced the cheap nasty thing though.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 23/10/19 06:27 AM

I think I have one in the garage if you want to collect it.
Posted By: Paul F

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 23/10/19 12:37 PM

The plastic mirror that came with my car is in the garage. Never been used.
Posted By: PhilRoyle

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 23/10/19 01:53 PM

The plastic ones do not work with a top-down car - but apparently have to be fitted to meet regs.!!! Need I say more. Mine is in the garage and it was replaced with a Librands one - much neater and gives better vision both front and rear.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 23/10/19 04:50 PM

Mine had a chrome mirror from new. It was a factory option.
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 23/10/19 05:40 PM

Aero Racing option Peter?

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 23/10/19 06:16 PM

Librands is the way to go. I think I have a plastic one in the garage somewhere
Posted By: xc68anc

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 23/10/19 06:49 PM

I've got the same problem.

In summer I ask my dealer for a change to the chrome one. The dealer told me: "keep attention, it's not "E-approved" - it's not MOT/ streetlegal in Germany".

As an extrapoint: the black plastic mirror doesn't work with the factory sunvisors. As I see it the first time: I couldn't believe - that's british.

René
Posted By: The Austrian

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 23/10/19 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by xc68anc
I've got the same problem.

In summer I ask my dealer for a change to the chrome one. The dealer told me: "keep attention, it's not "E-approved" - it's not MOT/ streetlegal in Germany".

I would be interested where he found the law for an obligatory „abblendbaren Innenspiegel“ (i.e. dipping mirror)
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
Aero Racing option Peter?

It was an option in the price list 2011/12 but, like the Moto Lita steering wheel and several ther options that I had fitted such as the SS exhaust, it may have been an Aero Racing option but I don't recall.

I can look it up because all the Aero Racing options were paid for separately even though I am sure some, if not all, were fitted during construction. In theory the way it worked is that the car left the factory as a fully homologated standard car and then was taken to Aero Racing (across the lane) to fit the aftermarket parts. I was told they were going to give me all the original parts that had been removed but I never even saw them when I picked the car up at the factory smile

With all the bureaucracy in Italy one of the things that works well and easily is new car registration. With the invoice for the car and the CoC in hand I paid the IVA (VAT) in Italy, took the receipt for the IVA and the CoC to our local agent for the Motorizzazione and they issued the registration documents and the plates, with the plate number I was then able to get the insurance. Armed with all this we then went to the factory, stuck the plates on, and drove the car home.

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 07:00 AM

There are a lot of words in the german "STVZO"... (As known, I think some things in my homeland are overregulated or over engineered). So there are the words, in german.

http://verkehrsportal.de/stvzo/stvzo_56.php

I know one of the point is the size of the mirror. I think that's the first problem for the chrom one, it's a little bit small.

René
Posted By: The Austrian

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 07:28 AM

Hello Rene,
Thank you for your effort to find written evidence for the regulation.
Could well be the need for a dipping function is hidden in an annex...
Posted By: howard

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 10:26 AM

There are a lot of words in the german "STVZO"... (As known, I think some things in my homeland are overregulated or over engineered). So there are the words, in german.

I know one of the point is the size of the mirror. I think that's the first problem for the chrom one, it's a little bit small.

René

Is anyone ever going to check? For that matter do you even have to have a central mirror - in the UK if we have wing mirrors we dont have to have any other mirror. Lots of vehicles dont have rear visibility in the centre anyway.
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by howard

René

Is anyone ever going to check? For that matter do you even have to have a central mirror - in the UK if we have wing mirrors we dont have to have any other mirror. Lots of vehicles dont have rear visibility in the centre anyway.

Lots of tintop drivers don't use 'em anyway swear

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 12:32 PM

Hello CooperMan,

I' ve got a Harley. At the bike is an original frontscreen fitted. To legalize it I've got a letter from Harley Germany that the screen is
part of the "Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis". The words "of the bike" are missing. A long time I had a real terrible discussion with the man from the "TÜV" (it' s the MOT) that he wants a special "Allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis" for the screen in cause these words are missing.

You can be sure, he would realize that the mirror is wrong.

René

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 01:09 PM

Cooperman, the TUV regs are tough and they limit any changes to cars & bikes.
Rules are rules & culturally the Germans love a good bit of regulation especially in the North. It makes them feel safe I think.

When I lived there I would try to break one minor one a day as my own form or resistance but no way would I risk non approved parts on my car.

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 04:23 PM

Thank you John for these words.

If you have a look at the news in German TV you allways hear: it must be ruled...

When it's ruled, the people ask: must it be so hard? They are silly.

In some bigger town there are special police forces for "poser cars". They can undo your registration!

This year there where two british tourists stopped in cause their unusual car. One girl has her car costumed to a "Einhorn",
the other guy pulls his daily behind his camper. The girls must undo the "special fittings", the guy must leave his daily...

René
Posted By: Ian Wegg

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by DaveW
Most people replace it with a plastic-free classic mirror.

I'd just like to say that my car still proudly sports its original, 39-year-old, "classic" black plastic mirror, manufactured by Wingards of Chichester.

As for dipping mirrors, is there a single recorded instance of anyone ever using the "dipping" feature?
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Wegg
Originally Posted by DaveW
Most people replace it with a plastic-free classic mirror.

I'd just like to say that my car still proudly sports its original, 39-year-old, "classic" black plastic mirror, manufactured by Wingards of Chichester.

As for dipping mirrors, is there a single recorded instance of anyone ever using the "dipping" feature?

I'm with you on this one, it enables me to have good rearward vision so it's doing it's job well. You can easily split it to give it a clean when necessary too.

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 04:56 PM

I use them Ian
Posted By: Soleng

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 24/10/19 08:16 PM

The rules are the same in Norway, but the biannual checks focus on pollution and safety. I have never heard that they react on the smaller mirror, and thst is good because the OEM mirror was so large that it blocked the view through the windscreen.

Harald
Posted By: Biglewey

Re: Rear View Mirror Problem - 31/10/19 10:36 AM

Thanks for the interesting conversation....
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News