Talk Morgan

Aluminium tool tray 4/4

Posted By: Andi H.

Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 28/11/19 03:39 PM

Hi from Munich,
i am new in this forum. Last year i bought a 2014 4/4 from Williams England. Now i want to change the original tool tray angainst an aluminium tool tray. I designed it now on my CAD system and here are the first pictures.
Next week i get the lasercuted sheets and i will put it together with rivets.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

best regards

Andi
Posted By: John V6

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 28/11/19 03:48 PM

Andi, I can also share another design if you pm me your email. But this one is welded and has been on my Roadster for several years.
Posted By: Luddite

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 28/11/19 04:32 PM

WELCOME to the forum Andi, I hope you are enjoying Morganeering, It would be nice to see a pic of your 4/4.. (-:

I hope you enjoy your time here.. Neat idea on the tool tray. Others have modified theirs in wood. I suspect whatever you are more comfortable working with suits best.. Hope it all works out as you would wish.
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 28/11/19 04:36 PM

Just be aware that one design of tool tray won't necessarily fit across the trad range. There have been changes to the upper damper mounting, and the fuel tank height.
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 28/11/19 04:44 PM

Interesting that you appear to have the deeper slot at the front Andi, I found more depth at the rear to suit my 5 link Roadster.

[Linked Image]

ETA: I agree with Dave W although in my case due to build tolerances. I found lateral asymmetry of 5mm in position of upper links on my Roadster when measuring for tool tray clearance. Ironically it was later discovered the back axle was around 5mm out of true with chassis whilst fitting SSL coil overs. Moving it over was easy given panhard rod, but then wheels were not aligned with bodywork so a compromise was found.
Posted By: Heinz

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 28/11/19 06:05 PM

Welcome Andi, nice to have you here. I don't want to be a spoilsport. Maybe my worries are unfounded. But I leave my tool tray as it is. In a rear-end collision, could such an aluminum sheet drill into the backrest at the height of the shoulders?

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 28/11/19 06:12 PM

I'd be more concerned about the fuel tank Heinz, if the tray got shifted.
Posted By: IcePack

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 28/11/19 06:45 PM

I understand that you can get more space, but has anyone presented the plastic tool tray to a aluminium fabricator & said “ can you make this”?

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 28/11/19 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by IcePack
I understand that you can get more space, but has anyone presented the plastic tool tray to a aluminium fabricator & said “ can you make this”?

Yes, the version which John has, originated in a similar way. But replicating the plastic tray in aluminium doesn't optimise space. Additional depth is available, but it varies by year of Morgan. My three cars, 2005, 2012, 2016 were all different under the tool tray.

This is why there is no commercially available aluminium tray on the market. It has to be designed and fitted to each individual car.

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 29/11/19 08:08 AM

"Interesting that you appear to have the deeper slot at the front Andi, I found more depth at the rear to suit my 5 link Roadster."

@Richard: We have the same space, my picture was taken from the right Side behind the car to the left front. Here is the picture like yours only from right front to left end.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]best regards

Andi

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 29/11/19 09:00 AM

Thanks Andi. My comments were based on the deep supporting lip you have at the front of your tray. Mine has a shallow lip at the front and much deeper at the rear to match the supporting wood surfaces.

Unfortunately the 5 link Roadster version has to accomodate the movement of upper axle links, making the usable space in tray narrower than for leaf spring models.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 29/11/19 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Wood
ETA: I agree with Dave W although in my case due to build tolerances. I found lateral asymmetry of 5mm in position of upper links on my Roadster when measuring for tool tray clearance. Ironically it was later discovered the back axle was around 5mm out of true with chassis whilst fitting SSL coil overs. Moving it over was easy given panhard rod, but then wheels were not aligned with bodywork so a compromise was found.

I don't know how the position of the hoop that forms the top mount of the shocks is fitted on the 5 link Roadster but I was shocked at the way it is fitted on the Plus 4 and 4/4. The top hole in the chassis is drilled by hand whereas the side holes are elongated. This means a possible variation of at least 10mm from one side to the other. Further more it has been known for a long time the the angle of the bottom mounting plate of the hoop was incorrect and a washer is used as a spacer under the front of the mounting plate to tip the hoop backwards. There is no excuse for any of this as the components should be properly jigged and pre-drilled. Other than greater accuracy it would probably save 30 minutes of labour on each car. One of many areas where better jigging and predrilling of components could not only save assembly time but simplify the supply of replacement parts. I hope that the iroduction of the CX platform has taken the opportunity to move in this direction.

On my car there is at least 5 mm difference in the fore and aft position of the hoop. This only came to light with the mounting of the 5 link suspension. Because of the adjustable nature of the SSL 5 link system it was possible to ensure the accurate placement of the rear axle in the chassis but whereas the right hand shock is easy to remove the left hand shock is a pain in the ass because of the hoop position being a fraction further back. In truth if this had been realised when the 5 link system was mounted the position of the new hoop could have been adjusted.

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 29/11/19 11:51 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rog

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 29/11/19 03:23 PM

Nice work thumbs
I would suggest that you need at least 50mm here:-
[Linked Image]

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 29/11/19 03:43 PM

I need to recheck my Roadster clearance but I think it was over 55mm.

The axle breather punched a hole in the wood...…….thankfully my first tray was wood!

So I opened a hole and capped it and now the breather slides into the hole on full deflection. I say slides, because it's wearing the paint away slowly!!!

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 29/11/19 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gambalunga
Originally Posted by Richard Wood

I don't know how the position of the hoop that forms the top mount of the shocks is fitted on the 5 link Roadster but I was shocked at the way it is fitted on the Plus 4 and 4/4. The top hole in the chassis is drilled by hand whereas the side holes are elongated. This means a possible variation of at least 10mm from one side to the other. Further more it has been known for a long time the the angle of the bottom mounting plate of the hoop was incorrect and a washer is used as a spacer under the front of the mounting plate to tip the hoop backwards. There is no excuse for any of this as the components should be properly jigged and pre-drilled. Other than greater accuracy it would probably save 30 minutes of labour on each car. One of many areas where better jigging and predrilling of components could not only save assembly time but simplify the supply of replacement parts. I hope that the iroduction of the CX platform has taken the opportunity to move in this direction.

On my car there is at least 5 mm difference in the fore and aft position of the hoop. This only came to light with the mounting of the 5 link suspension. Because of the adjustable nature of the SSL 5 link system it was possible to ensure the accurate placement of the rear axle in the chassis but whereas the right hand shock is easy to remove the left hand shock is a pain in the ass because of the hoop position being a fraction further back. In truth if this had been realised when the 5 link system was mounted the position of the new hoop could have been adjusted.

This is how the coilspring shocks are fitted on 5 link setup Peter.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You can see how the deeper part of tool tray needs to fit within the bolt heads at rear end of top links, and partly why I changed to shallower dome head bolts. Other reason was to allow shorter bolt as original over long one was chaffing rear loom scared ThIs and raising loom cured the problem before any serious damage or need for exting

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 29/11/19 05:16 PM

A wise move Richard. After my fire I am only to conscious of the risks to that insulation.

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 29/11/19 06:20 PM

Hi Rog,

the picture was bad done. In my construction in the section of the diff (yellow sheet) i have the complete space.
[Linked Image]

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 29/11/19 11:34 PM

Ah I see!

Looking forward to some pics of the finished tray.

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 30/11/19 12:53 PM

Ups i noticed that i had some wrong dimensions in my section plan. Here again with the correct dimensions.
[Linked Image]

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 05/12/19 09:37 PM

Hi everybody,

today i got the lasercuted and bend sheets of 3mm Aluminium. Here are the first pictures.

[Linked Image]

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 05/12/19 09:38 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 05/12/19 09:39 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BertR

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 05/12/19 09:41 PM

That looks amazingly professional to me!

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 05/12/19 09:41 PM

Holes were closed whit Sika Flex and the single sheets were also bonded with Sika Flex and rivets.

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 05/12/19 09:43 PM

I do my best....
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 05/12/19 09:50 PM

Well done Andi, that is a lovely design and durable thumbs
Posted By: Heinz

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 05/12/19 09:54 PM

Looks simply very good!

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 05/12/19 10:32 PM

That’s way too nice to be hidden away.

Well done Andi.
Posted By: xc68anc

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 06/12/19 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by BertR
That looks amazingly professional to me!

Oh yes, I think too. And: how to bend 3mm alluminium? Are you a proffessional metalworker?

And it looks like a nice workshop!

René
Posted By: OZ 4/4

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 06/12/19 07:49 AM

Impressive.....
Posted By: OZ 4/4

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 06/12/19 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rog
That’s way too nice to be hidden away.

Well done Andi.

Fastidious.....
Just what you need with a Morgan!

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 06/12/19 09:01 AM

Superb work. I did consider the riveted aluminium route myself but didn't have the sheet bending facilities needed so handed my design over to someone who could weld as well. I used 1.5mm stick on neoprene strip to seal mounting surface's against dirt entry BTW.
With 3mm plate it will be the strongest part of the car innocent

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 06/12/19 10:24 AM

+1. wow.
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 06/12/19 11:01 AM

Andi, wow that looks better engineered than a CX chassis, well done !

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 06/12/19 11:09 AM

Yes it will be strong. I copied the Aero bodywork.The original plastic tray is not very strong with the complete tools in it. And with 3mm it will fit perfect in the space.
Posted By: Themorganeer

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 06/12/19 10:11 PM

Very impressive. Certainly provided much food for thought for the next project !

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 25/12/19 07:56 AM

Mery Christmas to all of you,

now i had time to finish the tooltray. i used 3mm adhesive backed Neopren to cover the aluminium. It is also perfect to fix the tools.
[Linked Image]

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 25/12/19 07:57 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 25/12/19 08:44 AM

Well done. That looks excellent

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 25/12/19 09:01 AM

As I can see you've stored your warning triangle in the tooltray.

There it's out of reach. My dealer shows me a good place: at the side of the driverseat. There it's fixed between the crossmember, the seatrail and the body. And you can reach it every tine very quick.

And: a good idea for the next days... Do some work at the Morgan.

Wie ich sehe hast Du das Warndreieck im Werkzeugfach verstaut.

Da ist es aber im Notfall schlecht zu erreichen. Mein Händler hat mir einen guten Platz gezeigt: Hinter der Rahmenquerverstebung zwischen Sitzschiene und Tür. Da ist es sicher fixiert, klappert nicht und ist im Bedarfsfall schnell zur Hand.

Und: eine gute Idee! Ich werde wohl auch so eine Ablage in Angriff nehmen, Deine ist aber wohl "state of the Art"

Gruß aus Mainz

René

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 25/12/19 09:13 AM

Hi René,

a second aluminium kit for do it yourself is available if its a 4/4 from 2014 on.
Good Idea with the warning triangle. I store the first aid kit, warning lamp, and a fire extinguisher also outside the tool tray in a smal bag.

best regards
Andi

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 25/12/19 10:44 AM

Hello Andi,

Thank for the great stuff! But my MOG is a 2018 +4. so I think I must make a own construction.

May be you can start a production ;-)

best regards

René

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 26/12/19 06:06 PM

Hi René,

with this sketch you can check the space of the left / right front edge of the wooden frame.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 26/12/19 06:25 PM

Hello Andi,

I'm very impressed by your work! Today I've done the first step, the next days I'll messure my MOG, I also send you a personal message.

Best regards

René
Posted By: MDS61

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 26/12/19 08:46 PM

Superb..great work fella!
Posted By: Uther

Re: Aluminium tool tray 4/4 - 27/12/19 11:10 AM

That really is a work of art, superb. And in 3mm Aluminium it will be strong as an ox. Very well done Andi 👍🏻🏁
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News