Talk Morgan

P4 with flash. verdict

Posted By: meabh

P4 with flash. verdict - 22/01/20 04:08 PM

A belated New Years greetings to all. For those of you who have gone the whole nine yards with manifold exhaust and ecu flash: how are you finding it?
Posted By: RBW

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 22/01/20 07:15 PM

Hi Meabh

I've got the Clubsport map and Librands manifold, it'a the best improvement i've made to my car.

Power and torque are much better, drivability is much improved and mpg has also gone up
Posted By: DaveW

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 22/01/20 07:20 PM

As above!!
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 22/01/20 07:27 PM

It would be very interesting to see the before and after rolling road figures for these mods if anyone has a set. I like a bit of science versus emotion.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 22/01/20 09:07 PM

[Linked Image]

the lower figures are the librands manfold and standard morgan map

the better set is the librands manifold and clubsport map

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 22/01/20 09:24 PM

RBW thanks for that, they are appreciable gains you have and well worthwhile I would say.
Posted By: Deejay

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 22/01/20 09:43 PM

Agree, significant gains but only to be appreciated if you are happy and able to thrash around at 4000 rpm+. Easy enough on the track but less so on the average traffic infested highway. Those people, (and there are many) looking for more low down grunt and may well be disappointed?

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 22/01/20 10:09 PM

Personally I think there is plenty of low down grunt for normal driving, but others may of course have a different opinion, it would be interesting to see what other owners think smile

The upgrades have made the car a lot easier to drive in traffic, the 3000 rpm flatspot does not show up on the road, the reluctance when trying to pull away from stationary has alos gone as well.

MPG has increased from around 24 (at best!) to around 35.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 22/01/20 10:20 PM

The exhaust change alone marked a distinct improvement in low down torque. Mine had the standard exhaust, and RBWs graph 'before' is with the Librands system.

The flash then transformed the whole feel right from tickover, with a significant increase in mpg.

So the benefits over the standard set up are well worth it.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 22/01/20 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by RBW

The upgrades have made the car a lot easier to drive in traffic, the 3000 rpm flatspot does not show up on the road, the reluctance when trying to pull away from stationary has alos gone as well.

MPG has increased from around 24 (at best!) to around 35.

That mpg increase is impressive in as much that the standard was pretty dire by modern engine standards - well into Trad Plus 8 3.9Ltr territory.
For that reason alone the man maths is making sense all round, enjoy the miles.
Posted By: xc68anc

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/01/20 07:37 AM

I think about to start with the easy (and cheap) way. At first the flash, than see further.

Is here someone around who has the graphic for a standard GDI +4 vs. a flashed one?

The bloodless performance between 2000 and 3500rpm is not the point for a sportscar. Every white van goes faster
In the time I must shift two gears back.

René
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/01/20 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by xc68anc
I think about to start with the easy (and cheap) way. At first the flash, than see further.

Is here someone around who has the graphic for a standard GDI +4 vs. a flashed one?

The bloodless performance between 2000 and 3500rpm is not the point for a sportscar. Every white van goes faster

René

I am afraid that is the difference between a naturally aspirated and a turbo charged engine. The turbo diesel used in the white van probably hits peak torque at a little over 2,000 rpm.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/01/20 08:19 AM

I don't think so... Every engine must rev.

If you have a look at the torque graph you see a heavy break in this area. I'be got an old 1000ccm MINI an a Harley, both
non-turboed. Both rev up with a straight increasment of torque, no break.

Pedal to the metal an they go on. In the MOG it's like you brake...

René

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/01/20 09:43 AM

Get the flash Rene. Steve T had that done and is pleased with the result.

Then decide about the manifold and cat. As I said above, my car freed up having first changed the exhaust.
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/01/20 12:30 PM

My Plus 4 is much more fun after the upgrades - all done by Williams. Definitely more performance lower down the rev range. I wasn't a fan of revving the engine much before, but I really enjoy pushing it more in 3rd gear now!

grin2

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/01/20 12:56 PM

RBW Thanks for the reply: the graph shows very much what it feels like. The other day I drove my Roadster and P4 back to back on identical routes. Traffic was equally light on each trip with the odd lorry on long hills. Maximum fifth gear speed slightly topped 90kph. The difference in acceleration is noticeable of course in that second gear in the Roadster, is a massive shove which quickly carries one past an obstacle: in the P4 however it seems as quick : it is the delivery which is different. I think it was Dave W who thought that the P4 did not give much away to his Roadster and I tend to feel the same. Second gear will run out at just above the British national motorway speed limit whereas the Roadster needs a gear change up before 60mph. Tractability in the latter is slightly better but again not by much. I have now reached 4000 klms in the P4 and the exhaust is still clean. I can only keep one of these cars and the decision is not easy. I suspect the Escape engine is bullet proof whereas I am not so sure of the GDI. If I could have my Roadster in Black, with the removable rear panel (the Roadster is the Sport model) and alloy wheels, and had the same Suage Green interior then I would lean its way. If the P4 could have the 3:0 litre engine, I would keep it.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/01/20 09:02 PM

It's not the point that the (2018) +4 is running as a sportscar from 3500rpm on.

But in the real live you're on the road in the forth with about 2000rpm and legal 60mph/100km/h.

If you want to go faster, forget it. If you stay in forth it feels like you brake, if you shift back the MX5 box may be good, but it's not the toy for a fast shifting. My old Mini is far better (a lot of worlds)... In this time you think about it the white van (or a grandma in her diesel turbo) is away.

The thing is a frustrating rev from 2000 to 4000rpm.

As I know from classic MINI and Harley I look forward for "Stage1". I think that's the flash.

Thank for the great and lots of ideas.

René
Posted By: Paul F

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/01/20 10:09 PM

If you want to go faster, forget it. If you stay in forth it feels like you brake, if you shift back the MX5 box may be good, but it's not the toy for a fast shifting. My old Mini is far better (a lot of worlds)... In this time you think about it the white van (or a grandma in her diesel turbo) is away.

Get a 4/4 - there is no remote change mechanism to slow the change down - which makes the gear change exactly as Mazda designed it.

hide
Posted By: Rog

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 24/01/20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Paul F
Get a 4/4 - there is no remote change mechanism to slow the change down - which makes the gear change exactly as Mazda designed it.hide

So are the 4/4 and +4 Mazda boxes different with regards to the linkage mechanism?

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 24/01/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rog
Originally Posted by Paul F
Get a 4/4 - there is no remote change mechanism to slow the change down - which makes the gear change exactly as Mazda designed it.hide

So are the 4/4 and +4 Mazda boxes different with regards to the linkage mechanism?

It seems so. The Mazda forums speak of an oil reservoir under the gearstick, which isn't apparent on the Morgan.
Posted By: Paul F

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 24/01/20 03:13 PM

The +4 has a remote extension which is not installed on the 4/4.

The feel is very different. I vaguely remember a TM member posting a thread re fixing a problem with the gear change extension on their +4.
Posted By: Rog

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 24/01/20 04:36 PM

So that explains my initial surprise when moving from the MT75 to the Mazda. I was expecting ‘rifle bolt’ precision but it’s more ‘pudding stirrer’ which is at odds with what people say, fifth gear in particular.

But the ratios are soooo much nicer….. smile
Posted By: Heinz

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 24/01/20 07:56 PM

When I remember correctly it was Gambalunga who had once some trouble with the extension of the Mazda gear box in his Plus4. The only complain I can report regarding the Mazda box in my 4/4 is, that the gear knob is not vertical but angled so that the hand can reach it. Therefore you always have the feeling you are shifting uphill when you shift into third or fifth. But on the other way it is the good direct feeling of the Mazda box.
Altogether the arrangement in the 4/4 indicates that the engine is installed more to the rear than in the Plus4 which is a good thing re the 4/4.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 24/01/20 09:26 PM

My gear change improved once I filled it to the tilt line!!

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 25/01/20 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Heinz
When I remember correctly it was Gambalunga who had once some trouble with the extension of the Mazda gear box in his Plus4. The only complain I can report regarding the Mazda box in my 4/4 is, that the gear knob is not vertical but angled so that the hand can reach it. Therefore you always have the feeling you are shifting uphill when you shift into third or fifth. But on the other way it is the good direct feeling of the Mazda box.
Altogether the arrangement in the 4/4 indicates that the engine is installed more to the rear than in the Plus4 which is a good thing re the 4/4.

In the end it was not the remote but the gear box itself. It was jammed in second gear and nothing I could do could fix it. It was a gearbox out job frown

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 25/01/20 07:15 PM

On start up there is an initial rise in revs for what seems like a couple of seconds before mine settles down to a 900 rpm tick-over. Today I found that it would pull away from cold in third which was a mistake on my part but interesting never the less. Do you not find second gear to be a very strong gear too? I haven't had the opportunity to have someone put a stopwatch on second but it seems very quick indeed - actually a laugh out loud gear. Otherwise I do like its ability to potter around in fifth where possible. 30kph seems very comfortable. The car rides very well too -adjustable Spax and brake reaction bars and panhard rod. It is not I imagine going to be like a cx P4 but perfectly acceptable and even pressing on on an undulating road surface, it feels planted. This was what I was hoping other owners would comment on. Our roads are by the way, often free of traffic for minutes at a time.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 25/01/20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by meabh
On start up there is an initial rise in revs for what seems like a couple of seconds before mine settles down to a 900 rpm tick-over. Today I found that it would pull away from cold in third which was a mistake on my part but interesting never the less. Do you not find second gear to be a very strong gear too? I haven't had the opportunity to have someone put a stopwatch on second but it seems very quick indeed - actually a laugh out loud gear. Otherwise I do like its ability to potter around in fifth where possible. 30kph seems very comfortable. The car rides very well too -adjustable Spax and brake reaction bars and panhard rod. It is not I imagine going to be like a cx P4 but perfectly acceptable and even pressing on on an undulating road surface, it feels planted. This was what I was hoping other owners would comment on. Our roads are by the way, often free of traffic for minutes at a time.

Yes, and without an eye on a sporty way the +4 is a real good sportstourer. A gently giant still pulling and wake up with a nice roar from 3500rpm on.

But now in her new homeland with great routes around my home I'm a little bit critical (and frustrated) about the fast diesel around and away.

But may be the diesels (and white vans) are faster, they havn't the outstanding beauty ;-)

René
Posted By: howard

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 26/01/20 10:32 AM

René

I suppose it might be different in the fatherland, but here in the UK my Ferrari regularly gets overtaken by white vans. They are fast because in the main they are driven by young people who are aggressive and on pay systems that put them under pressure. So they drive fast and daft.
Posted By: Mogi

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 22/03/20 10:20 PM

Hello, I have a question for those who already have the new software.
Does the engine start at high speed for about 2 seconds as before? Does the backfire still exist?
Ralf
Posted By: Kevcaster

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/03/20 10:14 AM

I have read this and other threads on the subject and am still not sure on the advice. I have a Duratec Plus 4 and am attracted to the idea of a re-map but do not have the fancy manifolds, is it worthwhile going ahead or should I ignore the re-maps until I manage to persuade the CFO that we need a new manifold? The latter may take some time.
Posted By: Robbie

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/03/20 03:35 PM

I have a gdi plus4 and have had the ECU remapped by Williams Morgan -- fantastic result -- I had wanted to do it as I was told it would improve the MPG -- well... it did improve the MPG - from average33 to average 40 BUT .. it also gave a big improvement in grunt from about 2500revs --I do NOT have a fancy manifold, just the standard one -- Best value upgrade ever for the Mog!
Posted By: Hawki

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/03/20 03:40 PM

I was always told I would have to have a fancy manifold for a reflash / chip on a GDI. Is this a Morgan modification or one they have acquired from elsewhere?

Was it expensive if it’s not too rude to ask?

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/03/20 03:46 PM

The manifold & cat is an Aero Racing part. Originally sold as a full system, you might be able to buy the manifold & cat. But you won't get the twin tailpipe.

The whole system comes in around £2k

Librands also do a manifold & cat.
Posted By: Gordon D

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/03/20 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kevcaster
I have read this and other threads on the subject and am still not sure on the advice. I have a Duratec Plus 4 and am attracted to the idea of a re-map but do not have the fancy manifolds, is it worthwhile going ahead.

My plus 4 Duratec has a Williams manifold, exhaust and remap. I had occasion to put it on a rolling road (emissions issue) and power had increased to 155 at flywheel and torque to 148@4800rpm.

You certainly won't get the results with a Duratec that you will with the GDI.
Posted By: Robbie

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 23/03/20 08:18 PM

I believe it is the club sport map, Hawki— cost circa £300
Cheers!
Posted By: John V6

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 24/03/20 12:32 PM

Gary buy the +6 in December you know it makes sense.
laugh2 guru

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 24/03/20 02:35 PM

Good logic.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 24/03/20 03:48 PM

But what does Head Office say?

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 24/03/20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gordon D
Originally Posted by Kevcaster
I have read this and other threads on the subject and am still not sure on the advice. I have a Duratec Plus 4 and am attracted to the idea of a re-map but do not have the fancy manifolds, is it worthwhile going ahead.

My plus 4 Duratec has a Williams manifold, exhaust and remap. I had occasion to put it on a rolling road (emissions issue) and power had increased to 155 at flywheel and torque to 148@4800rpm.

You certainly won't get the results with a Duratec that you will with the GDI.

I had emissions issues with the Aero Racing manifold and cat (same manifold and cat as the Plus 4 SS) fitted to my car at the factory. I resolved the problem by fitting individual throttle bodies and a Omex ECU so that I could do my own tuning. How's that for logic laugh
Posted By: Esprit

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 25/03/20 01:19 PM

I was wondering how / whether these mods affect the stated European emissions ratings for the standard engines. This is becoming a issue for using the car in some cities.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 25/03/20 01:36 PM

I think it is actually illegal to alter any exhaust system in a way that it does not comply with emission standards. In some regimes an aftermarket exhaust system must be stamped that it complies with the standard and even for which vehicles it is approved. In any case periodic MOT testing should establish whether or not the exhaust system is compliant with the standard. Things become more complex with vehicles fitted with particle filters as there is not an MOT test (as far as I know) for this.
My understanding is that moves are being made to use the on board diagnostics for vehicle testing. I had heard that OBD was now being used for testing of vehicles first registered after a certain date in Germany (Heinz might be able to throw some light on that).
It is hard to imagine that anyone would really want to perform any real tuning on the CX series cars for normal road use but if any serious use of on board diagnostics is made for MOT testing on new vehicles it would tend to discourage any such tuning modifications.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 28/03/20 05:58 PM

OK All interesting. It may be worth just the re-map for the mpg improvement

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 31/05/20 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Robbie
I have a gdi plus4 and have had the ECU remapped by Williams Morgan -- fantastic result -- I had wanted to do it as I was told it would improve the MPG -- well... it did improve the MPG - from average33 to average 40 BUT .. it also gave a big improvement in grunt from about 2500revs --I do NOT have a fancy manifold, just the standard one -- Best value upgrade ever for the Mog!

OK Robbie that answers the question. I'm going ahead with that and think further about the manifold and CAT.
Kevin
Posted By: John07

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 18/10/20 09:26 AM

I've just had my 2018 GDI +4 on the rollers and here is the printout. It shows quite good power and the car has a MPG of 36 to 37. But the car is not nice to drive in the 2500 to 4500 RPM range, it feels strangled. The torque on the printout shows what is happening.
I am thinking of getting the Club sport exhaust and remap but it's a lot of dosh. Does it improve the driving and how does it get on at MOT time?

Cheers
John

[Linked Image]

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 18/10/20 10:35 AM

Hi John

I have a 2015 GDI with the clubsport map and wouldn't have it any other way, to me it's how the car should have been when it left the factory originally,

My MPG went from around 26 to 38, best i've seen is 42 which was roof down cruising at 70MPH.

I have a librands manifold fitted to the standard morgan exhaust pipe, combined I am getting around 190BHP. The car pulls like a train all the way to the rev limiter. No flat spots in power that are noticable and smooth pulling away in traffic compared to the standard map and manifold.

With just the manifold and the standard map I was getting around 160.

[Linked Image]

If you are ever in Kent, let me know and I will happily take you out for a run.

Rylan

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 18/10/20 11:42 AM

Hawki just did the same. The car sounds great when following it . He seems happy.
Posted By: IvorMog

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 18/10/20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by John07
I've just had my 2018 GDI +4 on the rollers and here is the printout. It shows quite good power and the car has a MPG of 36 to 37. But the car is not nice to drive in the 2500 to 4500 RPM range, it feels strangled. The torque on the printout shows what is happening.
I am thinking of getting the Club sport exhaust and remap but it's a lot of dosh. Does it improve the driving and how does it get on at MOT time?

Cheers
John

John, have you asked Motoscope if they can re-map the ECU on the dyno?

An experienced tuner can make a big difference to the mapping and providing he gets both good open loop and closed loop setups you shouldn't have a problem with the MOT (assuming your cat is in good condition.

It helps if they have had some GDI experience.

I think you might be surprised how far you can get even without spending a fortune on the club sport exhaust and remap.

Have a chat to them, half a day on the dyno might be worth it.
Posted By: SimonH

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 18/10/20 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by IvorMog

Cheers
John

An experienced tuner can make a big difference to the mapping and providing he gets both good open loop and closed loop setups you shouldn't have a problem with the MOT (assuming your cat is in good condition.

I think you might be surprised how far you can get even without spending a fortune on the club sport exhaust and remap.

Bob, The +4 gdi runs a locked MBE aftermarket ECU

Only MMC and the manufacturers can unlock it to reflash the map

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 18/10/20 12:45 PM

IvorMog,
He did try to get into the ECU but it's locked, he could not even save the file to his laptop.
Cheers
John
Posted By: Tim Crump

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 18/10/20 01:19 PM

I have a 2018 +4 and have changed the exhaust manifold for the Librands one, connected to the standard exhaust. The difference was quite something. Have not yet gone for a remap, seems MMC won’t allow the full Club Sport remap unless you have the full AR Motorsport exhaust, but they will do a remap that is between the two.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 18/10/20 01:41 PM

I definitely have the clubsport map without the AR exhaust, maybe I got in early before the interim map was announced,

Does anyone know what the differences between the 2 is?
Posted By: IvorMog

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 18/10/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by SimonH
Originally Posted by IvorMog

Cheers
John

Bob, The +4 gdi runs a locked MBE aftermarket ECU

Only MMC and the manufacturers can unlock it to reflash the map

Oh bu**er, that's not very fair is it.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 19/10/20 12:36 PM

Thanks for all your inputs. Looks like I'll have to break into the piggy bank then.

Rylan, I do get to Kent occasionally as my brother lives in Littlebourne.

Cheers
John

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 19/10/20 08:29 PM

I have no regrets having the upgrade. It feels so much more perky. Happy to take you out in mine if your ever near Ipswich.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 19/10/20 08:32 PM

Hi John,

Let me know when you are next in Kent and I'll happily take you out for a ride if you wish,

Rylan
Posted By: wigmog

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 19/10/20 09:01 PM

Hello John,

Annoyingly I was in N.Yorks last week but if you ever get over into Lancashire, I too will be more than happy to take you out for a spin.

I have a 2015 GDI with the CS map and the Aero Racing manifold/cat/exhaust.

Cheers

Stuart

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 19/10/20 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hawki
I have no regrets having the upgrade. It feels so much more perky. Happy to take you out in mine if your ever near Ipswich.

How are your pops, bangs and burbles Hawki?

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 20/10/20 06:54 AM

Stuart, You have a PM.
Cheers
John

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 20/10/20 10:09 PM

Hello John,

I have replied.

Cheers

Stuart

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 21/10/20 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by wigmog
Originally Posted by Hawki

How are your pops, bangs and burbles Hawki?

Following Hawki the car sounds great with plenty of pops on the over run.
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 21/10/20 07:04 AM

My burbles tend to be late evening, depending on the quantity of wine
grin2
Posted By: Peter J

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 21/10/20 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
My burbles tend to be late evening, depending on the quantity of wine
grin2

+1....
better wine, fewer burbles.... so happier swmbo

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 28/10/20 10:53 PM

Following a few weeks of using the plus 4 after the new exhaust and reflash I can it has made a huge difference. It sounds great and the power at the top of the Rev range feels far more than the BHP numbers suggest. There is one problem I have come across and it’s quite serious. It make me want to drive the car like an 18 year old, it is so much fun to get up the Rev band.

Join V6 was complaining today I had taken 2MPG of his usual figures today on the Flixton trip.

Re: P4 with flash. verdict - 29/10/20 11:04 AM

Yep but I did have a big grin chasing you. It also sounds great.
© 2021 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News