Talk Morgan

flying jacket

Posted By: series1

flying jacket - 29/12/20 11:18 AM

Well now is the time to get kitted up If like me you use your morgan all year round,up to now ive worn a big sheepskin ,but think its time to go for a flying jacket.I was thinking of a n irvin ,but wondered if the std one would be a little bulky,and may be the lightweight one would be better.Has enyone heard of a company in america called WPG according to their website they make a lightweight sheepskin flying jacket at about 1/3 of the price of an irvin leathercraft,and the many many reviews say it is the one to buy above all others inc eastman and irvn just wondered if any of you outthere had got one, duncan
Posted By: Paul F

Re: flying jacket - 29/12/20 12:18 PM

I bought the top of the range Irvin. It is wonderful but only useful in deepest winter as it is too warm for Autumn and Spring. With hindsight, I would have bought something a little less effective and added a layer on very cold days.
Posted By: RichardV6

Re: flying jacket - 29/12/20 12:48 PM

Irvin are bulky but that's part of the attraction for me as it makes them incredible warm to wear with a lovely feeling of insulation from the outside world. I remember an essential 200 mile motorbike ride around this time of the year as we were moving home. Although very cold it was dry. The rear of my full face helmet interfaced perfectly with the collar of the jacket to allow a warm and surprisingly quiet ride.

My Irvin jacket was bought new over 35 years ago and it still looks like it.
Posted By: SFG

Re: flying jacket - 29/12/20 03:00 PM

My children bought me an authentic one and I wear it in the house.
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: flying jacket - 29/12/20 03:16 PM

I had a B2 style jacket (slightly longer than an Irvin) made for me by Cirrus back in 2007 or so. They specifically asked me if it was for motoring use and advised me to have a jacket with ½" pile rather than the full 1" of a traditional Irvin. I took their advice and have been jolly glad I did. I also had it done in 'distressed' sheepskin, as otherwise you have to wear the things constantly for years before they acquire a 'lived in' look. Cirrus, sadly, is no more but Aviation Leathercraft are still going strong and will make you something to suit requirements.

I have practically no pictures of it (never been one for selfies), but this is what it looked like back in 2011 when we did LeJog.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: flying jacket - 29/12/20 04:44 PM

Duncan,
I have no experience of the jacket that you mentioned but I think for you it's going to be a better bet than an Irvin although it will depend on your chest size.
I inherited my late Fathers RAF issued full fat Irvin and I am 46" chest so getting comfortable in a wide body Morgan for me was impossible so our Son now uses it for his motorbiking.

Someone will be along to answer your question soon.
Posted By: bilibib

Re: flying jacket - 29/12/20 08:35 PM

Eastman Leather Clothing make some superb jackets that are totally authentic to the originals. I have a 1940 pattern jackets as worn by the Battle of Britain pilots, you will find that you definitely need to be in minus temperatures to be comfortable wearing it. However the company does produce a 1950's Commercial Bomber Jacket called the Air Comfort that may fit the bill Eastman Leather Clothing
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 09:14 AM

Try these guys - Made in Scotland - superb quality

https://simmonsbilt.com/
Posted By: RichardV6

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 09:19 AM

Just found this pic taken whilst collecting my new M3W from Ledgerwood Morgan. Reminds me how perfectly suited the Irvin jacket was to winter motoring in that car.

[Linked Image]

First drive home was on a very cold early April day, but coooned in the jacket I felt perfectly comfortable with a feeling of warmth and security. Having less than the full lining would defeat the point of owning one for me. It certainly doesn't have to be freezing for comfortable wear. The only thing missing were Spitfire pilot notes in the lining innocent

Given what I paid for it in the 80's the price Aviation Leathercraft now charge is quite competitive.
Posted By: mph

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 09:32 AM

Mine is super quality and was made to measure.

Unfortunately I find the very thick lining quite restrictive and overall the jacket is almost too bulky for classic car use.

My previous flying jacket was excellent and they're hard to beat, particularly with the high collar when open top driving

I have thought of having the lining trimmed on my current jacket - but who could do it ? Perhaps even a dog trimmer ?
Posted By: pandy

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 09:41 AM

I have a genuine Irvin jacket, bought to wear whilst driving the Morgan. Like Paul F, I found it to be only suitable for really cold winter days, it was way too warm for autumn or spring.

Were I to buy another car as open as a Morgan, i think I'd be more inclined to buy one of these excellent horse hide Barnstormer jackets from Aero Leathers. Horse hide has the advantage of being rather more waterproof than cow hide or sheepskin.

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=9
Posted By: sospan

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 10:49 AM

I was lucky about 3 years ago. I was loading my golf gear back in the Mog after a game when a new member came over. He had a Morgan many years ago. He offered me a Morgan flying jacket. £130. Genuine Morgan with badge and number tag. Not as bulky as an Irvin but keeps me really warm. The collar, when raised, stops the draught on the neck from the aerodynamic shortcomings of a Morgan. A bargain! Great for the winter. In less cold times I just use a combination of jackets/ layers to suit. Can’t wait for t-shirt weather!
Posted By: Burgundymog

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 11:02 AM

I have a Cirrus, only worn it twice as it is too hot even in really cold weather with the roof down !!!
Posted By: Rovert

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 11:14 AM

Exactly the same, I have a Cirrus. Worn twice for the reasons you describe.

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Burgundymog
I have a Cirrus, only worn it twice as it is too hot even in really cold weather with the roof down !!!

Originally Posted by Rovert
Exactly the same, I have a Cirrus. Worn twice for the reasons you describe.

Which is the reason to go for a half-inch pile. Mine is good for all temps up to mid-teens, and in really cold weather one can wear a jumper underneath if one really is too chilly. When we did LeJog it was early-summer (end of May) and the only day I didn't wear it was the day we did Inverness-JoG-Thurso-Inverness, when it was a lovely sunny day, easily 20C I would think. There is also the huge advantage that the arms are not nearly so constricted as in a traditional Irvin style jacket, making steering-wheel twirling a much easier proposition.

But having said that, apart from going to Scotland, I doubt if mine gets much if any use from mid-May to the end of September, so if one's Morganeering is confined to those months I can't see much point in having one.
Posted By: series1

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 05:11 PM

I have had morgans all my life ,drive them all year round and very rarely put the hood up ,once in 4 years,so I need warmth and athough only a 38" chest, dont want to feel to restricted ,seems that the lightweight irvn flying jacket would be better than the full one,although the aero thunderbay, leather with sheepskin lining looks good duncan
Posted By: JohnHarris

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by pandy
,I think I'd be more inclined to buy one of these excellent horse hide Barnstormer jackets from Aero Leathers. Horse hide has the advantage of being rather more waterproof than cow hide or sheepskin.

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=9

I whole-heartedly agree, I've had a Aero barnstormer for over 20 years, I outgrew it, but one of the great joys of slimming down, it now fits me again......I'm glad I never let it go when I outgrew it. It takes years of wear to break them in, they are quite heavy as well as being extremely waterproof, the Alpaca wool lining is really warm, Not cheap but IMHO worth every penny.

regards
Posted By: TBM

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 07:16 PM

I love my old Belstaff Trialmaster. Pretty warm, and waterproof. Great on the bike, but excellent in the Mog.

Bought in he early 90's before they were popular and could charge silly money. Had a PPI payout last year and bought one for the Mrs.
Posted By: IvorMog

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by TBM
I love my old Belstaff Trialmaster. Pretty warm, and waterproof. Great on the bike, but excellent in the Mog.

Bought in he early 90's before they were popular and could charge silly money. Had a PPI payout last year and bought one for the Mrs.

How often do you re-wax your Belstaff and what do you use.

I'm trying to find a slightly less smelly product but might end up with Barbour Thornproof Wax.

They do however add a warning not to get it near to leather or upholstery for a while after waxing.

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by IvorMog
Originally Posted by TBM

How often do you re-wax your Belstaff and what do you use.

I'm trying to find a slightly less smelly product but might end up with Barbour Thornproof Wax.

They do however add a warning not to get it near to leather or upholstery for a while after waxing.

Not very often! Twice in the last 30 years. First time, I used Barbour wax, but last time (earlier this year) I bought a nice kit from Belstaff with wax/cloth/brush etc. Did it on a really hot day and dried it/buffed it outside while hanging on the washing line.

Not noticed any issues with seats, but they are black.
Posted By: HowthHead

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 07:59 PM

I have a full pile Irvin and find it too bulky. I switched to a Spada waxed jacket with a removable lining so good across a wider temperature range. The waxed jacket is the same one on sale in the Morgan factory shop but purchased for a cheaper price elsewhere without the logo!! You just need to remove the shoulder, elbow and spine padding and off you go.

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by TBM

Yes, I have a Barbour jacket that I use in warmer weather, especially if there's a bit of rain about. Mine's only about 15 years old so I've not needed to reproof it yet, but it's a good argument in favour of black vinyl seats smile
Posted By: Paul F

Re: flying jacket - 30/12/20 08:54 PM

We stopped wearing Barbours in cars when Mrs F got dark waxy grime lines on summer clothes from seatbelts.
Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hamwich
Originally Posted by TBM

Yes, I have a Barbour jacket that I use in warmer weather, especially if there's a bit of rain about. Mine's only about 15 years old so I've not needed to reproof it yet, but it's a good argument in favour of black vinyl seats smile

Tim, do you still have your custom tweed jacket..? I was impressed there..

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stringers Best Mate

Tim, do you still have your custom tweed jacket..? I was impressed there..

Certainly do. I wear it a fair amount, not just when out in the Mog.
Posted By: KEVFITZ

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 07:26 AM

Oh..do like a Tweed jacket..

Tim pictures please or SBM will come visit!!!

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by KEVFITZ
Oh..do like a Tweed jacket..

Tim pictures please or SBM will come visit!!!

Yer tiz. Made by a local clothes designer, Emmie McNair. I wanted a medium thick tweed jacket that was sort of a cross between a normal tweed jacket and a shooting jacket, that wasn't too long, had good arm articulation, and would look smart enough to use as a conventional jacket for going out to restaurants and such in. Emmie listened to my requirements, we went through a load of pictures on t'internet, and this is what she came up with. Higher than normal collar with faux leather flap fastener, faux leather shoulder inserts like a shooting jacket, elbow patches sited to rest on the door tops, real working cuff buttons so the cuffs can be opened up, and a ticket pocket.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pandy

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 09:13 AM

I like that you have an elbow patch suitable for elbow out when driving a lhd mpg too (just in case).
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 12:59 PM

I found the Plus 4 heater to be very powerful - usually driving roof off but with sidescreens. I usually wear a Barbour, but sometimes a Marks & Spencer leather jacket with one of these over the top:

https://www.orvis.co.uk/p/new-munitions-leather-waistcoat/2kl3

snowgrin
Posted By: britmog

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 03:03 PM

I wear one of these in all my Moggies during our rather cold winters here in the Rockies, works great under all types of clothing and is controllable:

https://keisapparel.com/products/heated-vest-premium-v501

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by britmog
I wear one of these in all my Moggies during our rather cold winters here in the Rockies, works great under all types of clothing and is controllable:

https://keisapparel.com/products/heated-vest-premium-v501

Agree - I have one, currently at school as I wear it when out on gate duty in the morning (you don't get much warmth from a polyester suit)! I have one of the portable batteries.
Posted By: britmog

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 04:04 PM

I bet on high it could melt the polyester I rarely go above the low setting, even at -10C plus the windchill in the M3W the low setting keeps me warm with my thermals and heated gloves.

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by britmog
I bet on high it could melt the polyester I rarely go above the low setting, even at -10C plus the windchill in the M3W the low setting keeps me warm with my thermals and heated gloves.

Yeah - I can't run in it, for fear the friction might result in me going up in smoke! Resent paying good money for a 'school uniform' so buy a cheap washable 3 piece suit every year. It often gets covered in blood, sick, snot, make up, tears etc so I can wash and dry it overnight....
Posted By: Image

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by TBM
It often gets covered in blood, sick, snot, make up, tears etc so I can wash and dry it overnight....

That sounds like a decent Saturday night!!
smile

K

Re: flying jacket - 31/12/20 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Image
Originally Posted by TBM
It often gets covered in blood, sick, snot, make up, tears etc so I can wash and dry it overnight....

That sounds like a decent Saturday night!!
smile

K

Yep, and all done by 3.30pm smile

I got bitten once. but the taste of the polyester was too much for them so they soon released......
Posted By: Alistair

Re: flying jacket - 07/01/21 11:57 AM

TBM you have a problem wink - Millets has closed !

Re: flying jacket - 07/01/21 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Alistair
TBM you have a problem wink - Millets has closed !

Never fear - many a £30 suit can be bought from ASDA smile
© 2021 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News