Talk Morgan

Something a little different for sale..

Posted By: +8Rich

Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 03:45 PM

This would be well worth a look around it has some very interesting modifications, I quite like it, those rear bumperettes look a bit different but work.
Posted By: Grumpy2

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 04:37 PM

I've seen it too but its too much of a mis-mash for my liking.

'53 car, '63 reg, '76 chassis, 90's interior and who knows what else.

If it was an MGB it would be a prime example of a rubber bumper car 'rebuilt' into a chrome bumper shell for the benefits of avoiding road tax (20 years ago anyway)

Q reg candidate possibly with new regs pending.

Looks like a nice package though.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 04:48 PM

A lot money spent on it though. It looks well kept.
Posted By: Arwyn Williams

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 04:58 PM

Lot of dough for bitza

Arwyn
Posted By: Lordofthewings

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Arwyn Williams
Lot of dough for bitza

Those were good looking little cars in the '80s....... smile

[Linked Image]

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 05:32 PM

Another pointless thread drift.....
Posted By: Jack & Jill 602

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 06:54 PM

Or possibly a stolen/written off car using an identity bought off the internet...........

Under current rules if no receipts for donors then DVLA will probably order destruction rather than issue a Q plate.

Dates on wiper motor & other parts might be a clue to the real age of the car.
Posted By: OZ 4/4

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by +8Rich
This would be well worth a look around it has some very interesting modifications, I quite like it, those rear bumperettes look a bit different but work.

Interesting find....
Posted By: A11OGE

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 07:29 PM

This looks good though

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1074425
Posted By: TBM

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 07:39 PM

Looks legit to me, and I've spent a great deal of time exposing hooky Land Rovers smile

On the DVLA it is listed as a 1953 build, but registed in 1976. They state that it was rebuilt in 1976, so obviously went through some kind of DVLA check at the time, otherwise it would have kept the1953 date/reg..

I don't think the new or more recent rules on 'Modified/Altered Vehicles' can be applied retrospectively.

Plate is a probably a personalised plate, so not relevant and lots of older Mogs have uprated dashboards and stuff.

I'm a sucker for a fat tyred Mog, and the Pinto with 5 speed box would make for a lively and fun motor. They've obviously spent some quid on it, with the trim, hood and interior, and those split rims don't come cheap.
Posted By: Steve3.9+8

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 07:52 PM

Mathewsons classic care auction Nov 2021, It’s also on You tube

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Dgtwj0XftUk&feature=share

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Steve3.9+8
Mathewsons classic care auction Nov 2021, It’s also on You tube

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjk872flMv1AhUPecAKHaDdCtIQwqsBegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDgtwj0XftUk&usg=AOvVaw1Zrzkw5MWn0yPdPxv_QdNv

Here you go. Will attempt to watch it, but that bloke makes me want to do violence.

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 08:41 PM

I could be completely wrong but having trawled through my archives and asked a few people, I wonder if this car wasn't once a Dave Rutherford built Modsports 4/4?

About 20 years ago, I was offered the remains of one which had been built for a Chris Cooke. It was quite a successful car in the day.

From memory, the car was advertised as a Plus 4 and had a chassis number, can't remember if it had a log book. Space frame chassis too

I think Dave Rutherford built it around 1975/76

In its day, it had a pretty potent all steel Crossflow but had a Pinto when I saw it though.

A bit too radical for me and completely impractical so I passed it on

Arwyn

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 24/01/22 10:15 PM

That's interesting, I wonder if it is one and the same car.
Posted By: MOG 615

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 25/01/22 12:45 PM

That is fascinating Arwyn.

Those David Rutherford 4/4s were very rapid even with relatively low power engines due to the much lighter weight (thinner gauge steel chassis , one piece fibreglass tub, glass fibre wings etc.

I do remember the Chris Cooke car quite well . I think it had an all steel Martin(?) engine , a rocket box , and an Atlas rear axle . Very very quick , but not always 100% reliable. It was always trailored to the meetings at a time when many of us drove.

I was never a fan of the Pinto engine , although I know it can be well tuned, a bit too heavy for me liking.
Posted By: Ray

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 25/01/22 01:40 PM

I had a Rutherford lightweight, I'did a season of autocross with it. The build and quality of the fiberglass and lightweight gauge
chassis was excellent. The main trouble with car was the suspension travel was to short for grass racing. The car was never registered for road use. It needed to much work and money to convert. I sold it back to a tarmac racer. Think his name was Allen Kennedy.
Posted By: clubsport

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 25/01/22 08:54 PM

On the theme of something a little different, I noticed this sell in the last few days;

https://themarket.co.uk/en/listings/morgan/plus-4-v8-conversion/75e393f7-66cc-42ff-be9c-77fd88f5916d

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 25/01/22 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by clubsport
On the theme of something a little different, I noticed this sell in the last few days;

https://themarket.co.uk/en/listings/morgan/plus-4-v8-conversion/75e393f7-66cc-42ff-be9c-77fd88f5916d

That is a BIG history file there and a most interesting car.
Posted By: waikiore

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 26/01/22 01:38 AM

Re the Williams car -Doesnt one of regulars on here have a very shiny yellow narrow body Plus 4 ? Not so exclusive after all...
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 26/01/22 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by waikiore
Re the Williams car -Doesnt one of regulars on here have a very shiny yellow narrow body Plus 4 ? Not so exclusive after all...

If Williams paid a bit more attention to detail they would know that P4 isn't the only narrow one with a GDI.

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 26/01/22 11:04 AM

Nice story behind this one:

She's coming home.

In 2014 i was forced to sell her along with many of my classic bike collection cos Nat west went tits up and took it out on a small business, well today is my big middle finger to not only Natwest but all those banks out there that treat our money like its there own. and our lives like they don't matter.

Ive just added a picture of her 10 years ago when fitted with our awsome 4.6 V8 with ACT Multi throttle Carbon intake, one of many engines we tested in this car, in the years that I previously owned it

RPI Engineering are apparently going to be putting a supercharged V8 in.
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 26/01/22 12:36 PM

Another pointless thread drift.....

harsh

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 26/01/22 12:55 PM

Not really - what has a picture of a SEAT got to do with Morgans?

I used the word bitza, not Ibiza?

I have reached the conclusion that this forum is in desperate need of active moderation as any attempt at sensible discourse is drowned out by meaningless drivel

Arwyn
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 26/01/22 01:04 PM

I used the word bitza, not Ibiza?

………

Arwyn

Artistic licence? Fun? Humour?
And lots of us enjoy drifting!
grin2
Posted By: Lordofthewings

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 26/01/22 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jon G4LJW
I used the word bitza, not Ibiza? Arwyn

grin2

Thanks for the supportive comments from those who are on my wavelength. But I shall maintain "radio silence" for a while and keep any thoughts of meaningless drivel in my head....
Posted By: Bonesie

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 26/01/22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lordofthewings
Originally Posted by Jon G4LJW
I used the word bitza, not Ibiza? Arwyn

grin2

Thanks for the supportive comments from those who are on my wavelength. But I shall maintain "radio silence" for a while and keep any thoughts of meaningless drivel in my head....

Dont be bullied. This forum is for everyone, not just Arwyn
Posted By: Rovert

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 26/01/22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by TBM

Interesting. I seem to recall that at one time RPI were against supercharging RV8s. I like Superchargers, "sod subtlety fit a b*****y great airpump."

Edit
This is what I recalled
Posted By: IcePack

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 26/01/22 02:51 PM

Bangers & Cash sold Joe Brown's V8 Morgan, that was turbo charged. Went for 34T which surprised me as it looked in lovely nick.
Posted By: MOG 615

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 28/01/22 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ray
I had a Rutherford lightweight, I'did a season of autocross with it. The build and quality of the fiberglass and lightweight gauge
chassis was excellent. The main trouble with car was the suspension travel was to short for grass racing. The car was never registered for road use. It needed to much work and money to convert. I sold it back to a tarmac racer. Think his name was Allen Kennedy.

Yes Alan Kennedy was one of the better Morgan racers in my days on the track (late 60s to mid 80s)

He was a member of the MSCC Vikings Team at the 1978 Donnington 6 Hour relay race , where we came second.

His car was blue with a Lotus twin cam engine as I remember. It would have been set up for the track , not grass tracks! so I am not surprised that it was a handful on the rough
Posted By: xc68anc

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 29/01/22 06:53 AM

This car was discussed in Facebook this days. Now back to her former owner.

Greets René

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 01/02/22 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rovert
Originally Posted by TBM

Interesting. I seem to recall that at one time RPI were against supercharging RV8s. I like Superchargers, "sod subtlety fit a b*****y great airpump."

Edit
This is what I recalled

Turns out the owner (now and previous) is one of the Directors at RPI.
Posted By: Ray

Re: Something a little different for sale.. - 01/02/22 03:53 PM

I'm happy3
Originally Posted by MOG 615
Originally Posted by Ray

Yes Alan Kennedy was one of the better Morgan racers in my days on the track (late 60s to mid 80s)

He was a member of the MSCC Vikings Team at the 1978 Donnington 6 Hour relay race , where we came second.

His car was blue with a Lotus twin cam engine as I remember. It would have been set up for the track , not grass tracks! so I am not surprised that it was a handful on the rough
. It seemed a good idea at the time, but I was young then. PS I bought it as a rolling shell direct from David Rutherford, i think it might have been his own hill climb car.
© 2022 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News