Talk Morgan

Wind deflectors

Posted By: Robbie Mathisen

Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 06:08 AM

I would like to fit wind deflectors on my 2004 Roadster with easy-up hood, but only the kind that goes inside the side screen. Simmonds used to make these, in glass and chrome, but as Simmonds now is defunct, they are not available. Simmonds himself is now working at Superspoke, and a couple of times I have asked if there are plans to make these again. So far I have got a bit vague answers - yes, there are sort of plans, but no date and really not much happening. I guess they are busy making other items. Anybody know if these deflectors or something similar is available somewhere? The plexiglass versions yhat goes outside the screen is not an option.
Posted By: RichardV6

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 06:53 AM

I got equally vague answers over a long period of time about the Superspoke detachable steering wheel which was a surprise given the companies name. They seem to be concentrating on hoods.
As a point of interest how do the wind deflectors work if fitted inside sidescreens confused2
Posted By: brownbaker

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 07:27 AM

You use the wind deflectors with the side screens removed ! But I found them a waste of time .
Posted By: The Austrian

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by brownbaker
You use the wind deflectors with the side screens removed ! But I found them a waste of time .

I have got the same observations
Posted By: RJW

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 08:11 AM

In the early days of ownership I fitted wind deflectors to my Plus 4 as I like the look of the car without side screens fitted. However, the deflectors didn’t seam to deflect much wind away from the cockpit so removed them and now run mostly with the side screens on the car.
Bob.
Posted By: RichardV6

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 08:25 AM

Thanks for explanation. l know standard sidescreens make a huge difference when travelling at 45 mph or above. Maybe it's just old age though oldgit wink
Posted By: MATTMOG

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 11:54 AM

I'm pro wind deflectors as I don't like to drive with side screens.
My first Morgan (Two-Tone) had them when I bought it in 1997.
When I bought MattMog in 2015 the first modification was to mount deflectors.
I did notice a big difference with or without. There is certainly still wind in the cockpit but less directly in your face.

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by brownbaker

Of course you use the deflectors with the screens removed, what else? The point with the deflecors fitted inside is that if you do have the screens mounted as well for the time being, you can open the door + screen without the risk of breaking them. If they are fitted outside the screen you have to flip them well outward to avoid conflict between the front of the screen and the deflector. Easily forgotten, and there are a number of broken deflectors around. So I am still on the hunt, but growing pessimistic... And I do recognize that the effect is controversial.
Posted By: Max5

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 01:22 PM

I think that the efficacy of wind deflectors may be affected by your physical size and seating position. I am 6'1" and sit well back as a result. I have found both the "inside" and "outside" deflectors to be ineffective. For me, driving without sidescreens comfortably is only possible at low speeds, with or without the deflectors.
Posted By: PhilRoyle

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 02:01 PM

Hei Robbie - hope things are well in Bergen. You could try Librands or Melvyn Rutter who has a variety of options. I dont have an easy - up hood but made some deflectors by bending perspex and fitting them onto the aluminium post just behind the windscreen. Unfortunately I don`t have access to a hot wire bending machine any more..
Posted By: Ray

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by MATTMOG
I'm pro wind deflectors as I don't like to drive with side screens.
My first Morgan (Two-Tone) had them when I bought it in 1997.
When I bought MattMog in 2015 the first modification was to mount deflectors.
I did notice a big difference with or without. There is certainly still wind in the cockpit but less directly in your face.

. Same with me.
Posted By: Taffmog

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 06:56 PM

I have the Simmonds glass ones, they were over £300 from memory. I found little or no difference with or without so wouldn't recommend them.
Posted By: Steve +8

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Taffmog
I have the Simmonds glass ones, they were over £300 from memory. I found little or no difference with or without so wouldn't recommend them.

I also have the Simmonds glass ones, similarly I found little or no difference
Posted By: Calypso Red

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 09:24 PM

I have the Simmonds glass ones. I find that they do reduce wind buffeting to my face. It may depend on your expectations as to their effectiveness. If you are hoping for a draught free cockpit, don't put the hood down!

I liked the inside fitting for the reasons given above but I did find that it was more difficult to get into the car with them. They only fold in far enough to lie parallel with the side screens which means they poke into your face when getting in. My +8 is pre-long door.

I modified the mounting blocks so the wind deflectors fold in against the windscreen. I had to mount them about one inch higher to clear the scuttle which required bespoke stainless steel draught excluders. A bit of a journey, certainly not "plug & play". However, they are very nice and now swivel a full 180 degrees .
Posted By: Grumpy2

Re: Wind deflectors - 05/04/22 09:44 PM

I have Perspex wind deflectors that I fit around May to September. They provide some protection from buffeting but not as much as the side screens. I’ve adapted mine so I can use the deflectors and the side screens (no advantage wind wise) but allows a little flexibility.

Re: Wind deflectors - 06/04/22 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by PhilRoyle
Hei Robbie - hope things are well in Bergen. You could try Librands or Melvyn Rutter who has a variety of options. I dont have an easy - up hood but made some deflectors by bending perspex and fitting them onto the aluminium post just behind the windscreen. Unfortunately I don`t have access to a hot wire bending machine any more..

Hei, Phil - alt er bra i Bergen, men nå lengter vi etter vår! All is good in Bergen, but now we are longing for spring!
Yes, Librands and Rutter have wind deflectors but only the outsideperspex version. So the Simmonds seem unobtainable, are expensive and their efficiency is disputed. In othe rwords, I think it is best to abandon the idea.
Posted By: sospan

Re: Wind deflectors - 06/04/22 10:15 AM

I took mine off as I didn’t find any significant effect.
On a slight sideways view I seem to remember someone made a perspex “half sidescreen” that fitted onto the normal sidescreen mounts outside the door. I believe the shape was experimented with to find the final dimensions.
Posted By: Paul F

Re: Wind deflectors - 06/04/22 02:38 PM

We had wind deflectors on our 1985 4/4. They didn't even make the long list of possible options when specifying the current car.
Posted By: RiverMog

Re: Wind deflectors - 06/04/22 04:28 PM

Hi
I bought my Plus8 in 97 at about the time Steve was developing the deflectors and got to know him quite well.
As a result I fitted a pair of early mk1s to the car. They worked fine but I am 6foot plus and at the time was quite chunky!!.
Having them fitted hood down was fine but hood up it was interesting getting in and out of the car.
I took them off about twelve years ago, but kept them in case.
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Wind deflectors - 06/04/22 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by sospan
I took mine off as I didn’t find any significant effect.
On a slight sideways view I seem to remember someone made a perspex “half sidescreen” that fitted onto the normal sidescreen mounts outside the door. I believe the shape was experimented with to find the final dimensions.

I saw that Mog a few years ago, looked quite a neat alternative
Posted By: britmog

Re: Wind deflectors - 06/04/22 07:21 PM

When participating in long distance touring such as Morgan's Over America (6000 miles) I keep the side screens on which afford good protection, allow for quick roof fitting and resolve any storage issues. For about town driving I have Corvette glass deflectors but they are more for show than practicality.
Posted By: Calypso Red

Re: Wind deflectors - 07/04/22 05:33 PM

Modified Simmonds wind deflectors, folded in, and out. To go with my post above.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 2022 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News