Talk Morgan

Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8

Posted By: Alistair

Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 11/05/18 03:01 PM

Having a nice day out and the oil light pops up. Checked the dipstick (car flat and warm if I am right?) opened the bonnets and darned if I can spot the oil filler, has anyone got a pic they can share with the filler on it!
Posted By: aerotaff

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 11/05/18 03:42 PM

The oil filler is the black square top next to the dipstick it will have an oil can printed on the top surface ,just unscrew.

Em
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 11/05/18 03:45 PM

Drivers side bonnet towards the front it looks like on this picture. Careful not to drop it in the engine bay apparently they can disappear very easily.

Posted By: Alistair

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 11/05/18 03:46 PM

Thanks peeps, will pop out and check now. Darned if I could spot it.
Posted By: sospan

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 11/05/18 04:30 PM

Hopefully the light will go out after a top up.
On my Kia I had to take the car to a dealer who cleared it. No charge. The oil level was just on/under the MIN. So quite sensitive. Same as the TPMS!
Posted By: moggywills

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 11/05/18 05:07 PM

Funny that just bought a series 3 drove it home 250 miles no problem. Went out next day after 30 miles oil light on then off on bends. Thinking its low on oil I checked dipstick on level ground but as the oil was so clean job to see level over minimum mark - So checked hand book says 7.5ltr with filter change. Dropped the oil & filter and used best Fuchs 5-30W . Having put 8 litres in the oil is only have way up the dipstick! So added another litre and its still not on the Max mark. Afraid to put anymore in as I know too much oil can cause issues.
Anyone with similiar experience or advise ?
Still Not sure until I have a run out if its a faulty Oil switch as 7ltr of old oil came out.!! Oh and the oil filler cap entry point is on the off side front and yes be careful when handling imagine it will be hard to retrieve if dropped past the engine bay
Posted By: James B W

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 11/05/18 05:10 PM

this is the oil filler on the Series 1, 4.4Ltr., V8 Alistair -

you can see it's towards the front and to the right.

I replaced the BMW black plastic cap with a nicer S/S one - more to polish... ooo

James

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 11/05/18 05:22 PM

Mogywils.I think we met a couple of weeks ago in Bala if not welcome to the Aero section anyway.

Emyr
Posted By: deano

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 11/05/18 05:59 PM

Unusal for the engine to use that amount of oil to bring on the oil light!

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 12/05/18 08:18 AM

Just found my handbook it says 7.5 litres,if youve put nine litres in thats seriously overfilled maybe the previous owner replaced a lost dipstick with the wrong one.You will have pressure build up in the sump the crankshaft will tend to froth the oil up and seal failures.DONT drive it measure the dipstick,and we can compare.

EM
Posted By: James B W

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 12/05/18 08:42 AM

as per Em; I can confirm it is 7.5 litres oil for the 4.4 litre engine.

I usually supply my own oil when the car is serviced and that is the amount used....

James

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 12/05/18 09:21 AM

Yes Emyr- Diolch good to meet you, the oil light came on and off all the way home so was a bit concerned however 7 ltr of oil came out and 9ltr gone in -so just a bit concerned as to how much actually needed as the dipstick level is still not on the Max mark

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 12/05/18 11:43 AM

Thank your brother in law for his hospitality we did over 400 mls that sunday so the tea and cake went down very well. I thought it was you , worth mentioning that you purchased the ex Geneva car that was featured in the comic a few years back.Lovely looking car but you will have to sort out the oil issue.

Hwyl Em
Posted By: Taffmog

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 12/05/18 02:59 PM

Hi Moggiwills! Where are you in North Wales? If your dipstick turns out to be too short or incorrectly marked your are welcome to compare it to mine or mark new levels.
IIRC the 4.4 engine should use 5w40 oil and the 4.8 engines 5w30 unless there was a change point somewhere in the 4.4 ‘s engine life.
I once dropped the oil filler cap on my S1, retrieved with some difficulty if I remember. The Aero plus 8’s have the filler cap partly hidden under the front wing making it a delicate operation to remove!

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 12/05/18 04:56 PM

Hi Emyr- Baffled -Yes my handbook says 7,5ltr with Filter change.
Found the last owners Invoice from his garage and he had 8ltrs of oil put in, (April 2015). It had only done 78 miles before I bought it last month. On collecting the car i checked the dipstick Oil was clean and dipstick was just on half way mark, which i thought strange if its only done 78 miles. Its only cause the oil light came on after we left you thats bugging me as I am trying to deduce.
1- Isit a faulty Oil switch
2- If not why would it come on if there was 7ltr of oil in the sump .
3- Is the sump slightly larger.
The oil level after 9ltr is 9/10 on the dipstick and it measures 72 cm from the inside neck to tip.(cant see that it would have been replaced really only 1 owner from new)
Going on a 110mile run out tommorrow so will chance it - away for a few weeks till June so wont be on the forum. AW

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 12/05/18 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By aerotaff
Thank your brother in law for his hospitality we did over 400 mls that sunday so the tea and cake went down very well. I thought it was you , worth mentioning that you purchased the ex Geneva car that was featured in the comic a few years back.Lovely looking car but you will have to sort out the oil issue.

Hwyl Em
Will Do glad you enjoyed the day -Alwyn

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 12/05/18 05:06 PM

Hi Taffmog - In Ruthin I honestly dont believe its a replaced dipstick (could be proved wrong of course). Chancing a run out tommorrow with it as is - cause I dont know whether to trust the dipstick or the Hand book !- Something amiss as why would the previous owners garage have put 8ltr of oil in ? or maybe he had a 0.5 ltr spare !!- Aaagh dont know
Posted By: NickCW

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 14/05/18 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By Taffmog
Hi Moggiwills! Where are you in North Wales? If your dipstick turns out to be too short or incorrectly marked your are welcome to compare it to mine or mark new levels.
IIRC the 4.4 engine should use 5w40 oil and the 4.8 engines 5w30 unless there was a change point somewhere in the 4.4 ‘s engine life.
I once dropped the oil filler cap on my S1, retrieved with some difficulty if I remember. The Aero plus 8’s have the filler cap partly hidden under the front wing making it a delicate operation to remove!

Bit of info here if it helps:
http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/498840/Aero_8_-_Engine_Oil_Guide#Post498840

cheers
Posted By: Peter J

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 14/05/18 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By moggywills
Hi Emyr- Baffled -Yes my handbook says 7,5ltr with Filter change.

The oil level after 9ltr is 9/10 on the dipstick and it measures 72 cm from the inside neck to tip.(cant see that it would have been replaced really only 1 owner from new)
AW

The S4 dipstick is 70cm from inside neck to the tip, so if a later S4 dipstick had been fitted the problem would seem worse.

All very odd indeed.

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 14/05/18 02:19 PM

The 4.4 is 53cm from neck to tip.

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 14/05/18 02:19 PM

The 4.4 is 53cm from neck to tip.

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 07/06/18 03:43 PM

Diolch Emyr- Just returned from US after 3 weeks and off to Italy on Sat for a week, so have only used the Aero once. Not keen to drive until I resolve the correct oil level.
Interesting that your dipstick is 53cm and mine 72 cm( although could be 70cm as reported on an S4). Think I need to speak with the factory as suggested by Taffmog. Will pull 1 ltr out for sanity until i get correct info.

Whats still bugging me is why the oil light came on in 1st place, as 7ltr came out.

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 07/06/18 03:52 PM

Hi-Thanks for the link I had actually read the report which led me to choose the Fuchs 5-30W option but no mention of correct quantities for the engine variants. i.e 4.4 / 4.8ltr

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 07/06/18 04:24 PM

Pleser Moggywills. I would take half a litre out for deffo sound like the wrong dipstick .Message me when you get back enjoy the trip.

Emyr
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 07/06/18 05:35 PM

If Moggywills dipstick is 72cm and it should be 53cm, than he's 19cm short (i.e. low) on oil level when filled to the mark on his dipstick.
Might explain why the oil light came on?
Or am I standing on my head here? smile
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 07/06/18 05:37 PM

+1

Feet firmly planted as I see it too - it would be the 1st oil light to come on with excess oil would it not ?
Posted By: NickCW

Re: Where do I add oil. S2 4.4 V8 - 12/06/18 10:45 AM

Could well be a faulty sensor (or it was just having a malfunction that has cleared) and now you have found the dipstick may be incorrect adding to the confusion.

Perhaps the car knew the dipstick was wrong, so the light was a little point in the right direction.. hide
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News