Talk Morgan

Draining Fuel

Posted By: NickCW

Draining Fuel - 14/01/22 10:15 AM

Is there any easy way to drain fuel from an Aero tank?
With all the work I have been doing (and on the car) it hasn't been used much since Covid started, so the fuel is 2 years old. No issues with moisture as the car is stored in a dry heated space but I figure if it sits much longer it might be worth draining the old stuff out.

If there isn't.. I know you can get some pump/suction workshop tools for draining fluids, and recommendations for a compact cheapish home solution?
Posted By: PJC

Re: Draining Fuel - 14/01/22 10:48 AM

Hi Nick, you could try a Jiggle Syphon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyfive-Priming-Jiggle-Syphon-Transfer/dp/B00KE0GTPQ/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=2K15TUKB0OSGG&keywords=jiggle+syphon&qid=1642157102&sprefix=jiggle+%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&smid=A3UZTDMDZ5GUQW&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySUFKQlVWRk1CT1ZMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDA0NTg1REVRR1ozS1VESzdVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMTY5ODVaUDJRUU9HMENVN0gmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
The only thing to consider is having got the fuel out what do you do with it due to all the laws now about safely disposing of hazardous chemicals etc.

If your tank has got space in it then I would suggest that it may be better just to fill it up with Esso or Shell premium fuel with a gerry can so that the old fuel is diluted and mixed with the new fuel and ensure that you then keep topping the car up regularly so that the older fuel is diluted further and further with new quality fuel.
Posted By: SimonH

Re: Draining Fuel - 14/01/22 10:51 AM

The tanks are foam filled, so sucking out the fuel will be difficult

I'd jump the fuel pump relay, split the fuel line at the connector where it comes up the NS bulkhead, and pump the fuel out using the in tank pump
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Draining Fuel - 14/01/22 10:52 AM

If you do let the fuel (some/all) go through then try some of the injector cleaner afterwards in case any of it was sticky ?

Once out and running make certain you give it a longer run to get it hot all the way through so it combusts fully and the cats don't suffer. An Italian tune up of sorts.
Posted By: NickCW

Re: Draining Fuel - 17/01/22 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by PJC
Hi Nick, you could try a Jiggle Syphon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyfive-Priming-Jiggle-Syphon-Transfer/dp/B00KE0GTPQ/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=2K15TUKB0OSGG&keywords=jiggle+syphon&qid=1642157102&sprefix=jiggle+%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&smid=A3UZTDMDZ5GUQW&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySUFKQlVWRk1CT1ZMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDA0NTg1REVRR1ozS1VESzdVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwMTY5ODVaUDJRUU9HMENVN0gmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
The only thing to consider is having got the fuel out what do you do with it due to all the laws now about safely disposing of hazardous chemicals etc.

If your tank has got space in it then I would suggest that it may be better just to fill it up with Esso or Shell premium fuel with a gerry can so that the old fuel is diluted and mixed with the new fuel and ensure that you then keep topping the car up regularly so that the older fuel is diluted further and further with new quality fuel.


Thanks for that - interesting looking device, never knew they existed!


Originally Posted by SimonH
The tanks are foam filled, so sucking out the fuel will be difficult

I'd jump the fuel pump relay, split the fuel line at the connector where it comes up the NS bulkhead, and pump the fuel out using the in tank pump


Thanks Si I didn't realise it was foam filled. Also actually seems like a far simpler option!


Originally Posted by Alistair
If you do let the fuel (some/all) go through then try some of the injector cleaner afterwards in case any of it was sticky ?

Once out and running make certain you give it a longer run to get it hot all the way through so it combusts fully and the cats don't suffer. An Italian tune up of sorts.


Duly noted smile

Any fuel gurus know how long it takes fuel to break down? Its stored in a dry cool space with heating (though its often pointless heating it) so stays around 5/10degrees mostly if that makes any difference (thinking in tank condensation).
Posted By: PJC

Re: Draining Fuel - 17/01/22 04:51 PM

I certainly had no issues with cars and bikes being left for 6-9 months in the garage and then adding fresh fuel regularly to dilute the old stuff and as Alistair says ensure the first run is long to ensure that everything gets up to full temps for a good period. If you know there is space in the tank then add the new fuel from a can before the first longer run out. Not saying this is ideal - just practical for those of us with less options to dispose of fuel safely. One of the reasons I don't fill ups just before getting home, then if the car of bike is in the garage for longer than expected I can add a good level of new fuel to dilute the old stuff straight away.

This is on the RAC website: Generally speaking, petrol has a shelf-life of six months if stored in a sealed container at 20 degrees – or just three months if kept at 30 degrees. The more it's exposed to heat, the more quickly it will go off. BP say if its in a sealed tank which is at least half full then it can be kept for up to 1 year although they recommend topping with new fuel as soon as possible.
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: Draining Fuel - 17/01/22 05:38 PM

What sort of 'problems' are we talking about here? I've occasionally left my 4/4 standing for a few months and all I do is start it up, take it for a good thrash to get everything nice and hot, and then fill it up as normal. The only issue I've ever noticed if it can be called that is that it takes a few extra seconds cranking on the starter to get it fired up, which is in my view a good thing as it gets the oil circulating round the engine.
Posted By: TBM

Re: Draining Fuel - 17/01/22 06:03 PM

I was sent this by a friend, who I turn was sent it by a bloke in the petroleum industry:

Originally Posted by Consultant
As for your fuel, the traditional advice for mild steel tanks is to fill with fuel to prevent oxidation occurring but I have never been keen on this because the headspace is not protected and this is where oxidation is likely to occur.

The most important factor is to keep the inside of the tank free from moisture, a flush with nitrogen would be ideal but this is probably not practical. In the winter there is not as much water in the air so it is unlikely to be an issue if the car is kept inside and is a few degrees warmer than the air outside. so my advice is to drain the tank and put some silica-gel in a bag and drop it into the tank on a string to absorb any moisture.

I don't have to tell you that a nearly empty tank is the most dangerous so make sure that there are no static or other ignition sources close by including your clothing.

If you decide to fill with fuel it probably does not matter too much as most fuels contain an antioxidant additive but as I said before this will only protect the wetted part of the tank.

The fuel will need to be changed in the spring to replace the lost light ends and give the old girl a fighting chance of starting.
Posted By: NickCW

Re: Draining Fuel - 17/01/22 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hamwich
What sort of 'problems' are we talking about here? I've occasionally left my 4/4 standing for a few months and all I do is start it up, take it for a good thrash to get everything nice and hot, and then fill it up as normal. The only issue I've ever noticed if it can be called that is that it takes a few extra seconds cranking on the starter to get it fired up, which is in my view a good thing as it gets the oil circulating round the engine.



I have heard that mostly it is a loss of octane and some far to technical for me to report degradations that mean it doesn't burn as cleanly or as well.
There are a few youtube tests on it if I recall.

The other issue is if left for long enough it can go quite nasty, however this is usually accompanied by other corrosion in the tank or elsewhere which "fuels" (pun intended) the problem.

For me the car has been used for short trips to the bodyshop and for an mot but other than that its not had a fill up in about 3 years just owing to the fact the tank was pretty much full and its not been burned off.. hence my thoughts around just draining it for the lawn mower tbh.
Posted By: Viper

Re: Draining Fuel - 18/01/22 11:16 AM

I regularly leave cars for extended periods without issue.

Alway use Esso super synergy plus (zero ethenol in most of the country)

Well the most recent issue I’ve had was with my woman’s DBS which after 2 years started BUT with a misfire/running rough.

Luckily it didn’t have much fuel in so I put 25 litres of fresh fuel in and after a few minutes it was Kool and the Gang.

Even an old Capri 2.8 was pretty good with this method after 4 years.
© 2022 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News