Talk Morgan

Another Plus6 review

Posted By: milligoon

Another Plus6 review - 15/12/19 12:38 AM

You want to attract a younger buying customer.

It may have ticked some boxes

https://youtu.be/M_XcTVlIcyo
Posted By: atalante83

Re: Another Plus6 review - 15/12/19 05:09 AM

Nice but needed to be compared with the 3.7 roadster not A plus four.
Posted By: madmax

Re: Another Plus6 review - 15/12/19 08:21 AM

Whats going to be really interesting is when the 4cylinder engines are put in the new chassis and the popularity of these and the prices ! woohoo
Posted By: John V6

Re: Another Plus6 review - 15/12/19 10:44 AM

Steve, yes I could be tempted by a CX +4 at the right price & spec.
Posted By: Fat Wolfie

Re: Another Plus6 review - 15/12/19 12:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up, enjoyed that one and then watched his Plus 4 review. I’ll now immerse myself deeply in YouTube as Swmbo is watching last nights Strictly final on TV and is in true “do not disturb” mode
Posted By: IvorMog

Re: Another Plus6 review - 16/12/19 11:54 AM

At £95,000 I don't think this is for me but it did show the car in a very good light.

However, IMHO, the tester is a bit of an idiot.

At about 8:30 he takes the car on a road that he said defeated the Plus 4 and opens it up.

That road appears to have loads of blind entrances from businesses and houses and should have been driven far more circumspectly.

Love to know how he would have been marked up by an IAM examiner.

I'm all for pushing it a bit but not on roads like that.

As I said, only my opinion.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Another Plus6 review - 16/12/19 12:06 PM

Bob, I agree. I liked it generaly but why no mention of the Roadster in the initial part?
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: Another Plus6 review - 22/12/19 06:21 PM

Interesting to see a comparison of the +4 and Plus Six handling on the same road. Confirms what I thought on the test drive, though I didn’t push the ‘6 very hard!
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: Another Plus6 review - 22/12/19 08:56 PM

To me the only comparison that would have made sense would have been against an Aero Plus 8, i.e. to see how they had improved the chassis and performance on a similar build technology.
Posted By: OZ 4/4

Re: Another Plus6 review - 09/01/20 08:22 AM

EVO Car of the year

Plus 6 Review
Posted By: Peter J

Re: Another Plus6 review - 09/01/20 12:25 PM

That the Plus Six acquitted itself well in that company is remarkable, I'm sure MMC will be pleased.
Posted By: OZ 4/4

Re: Another Plus6 review - 10/01/20 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Peter J
That the Plus Six acquitted itself well in that company is remarkable, I'm sure MMC will be pleased.

Pleased....? I would have thought they were bloody delighted.
But doing a comparison in that company and on the same basis kind of misses the point of where Morgan fit.

Just my view

Re: Another Plus6 review - 10/01/20 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by OZ 4/4

Pleased....? I would have thought they were bloody delighted.
But doing a comparison in that company and on the same basis kind of misses the point of where Morgan fit.

Just my view

I'm not sure where Morgan fits ? The plus 6 has to go up against cars and the other 5 are what some may think as an alternative . The test on the track didn't do a lot for the plus 6 handling but did they switch off the traction controls on the other 5 as it doesn't say , so would they have also been a 'handful' on track or is there something not right with the plus 6 chassis ?

Re: Another Plus6 review - 10/01/20 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by madmax

I'm not sure where Morgan fits ? The plus 6 has to go up against cars and the other 5 are what some may think as an alternative . The test on the track didn't do a lot for the plus 6 handling but did they switch off the traction controls on the other 5 as it doesn't say , so would they have also been a 'handful' on track or is there something not right with the plus 6 chassis ?

That Jaguar with no traction control looks as if it might have been REALLY interesting. In a "brown trouser" way.
Given the way the Plus Six changes ends, would a LSD have helped?
Posted By: Rovert

Re: Another Plus6 review - 10/01/20 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by OZ 4/4
EVO Car of the year

Plus 6 Review

I enjoyed the Video.

.. But it kind of reinforces my increasing view that the best fun you can have on modern roads is a 5 feet wide 2 seater with about 80-100 bhp.

Re: Another Plus6 review - 10/01/20 01:10 PM

That Jaguar with no traction control looks as if it might have been REALLY interesting. In a "brown trouser" way.

Suprised the plus six hasn't an LSD , the 3.7 does I think ?
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Another Plus6 review - 10/01/20 01:20 PM

Suprised the plus six hasn't an LSD , the 3.7 does I think ?

Certainly does & requires a little respect in the wet
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Another Plus6 review - 10/01/20 03:37 PM

The lack of LSD could be to try and reduce the need for traction control.

When you put the power on it will spin up and allow the power to be dissipated to a degree. Given the low RPM turbo torque of that engine it would be a bit of a shocker if the LSD locked up and laid the power down in one BIG FAT lump coming out of a roundabout. Snap oversteer would be a lot more dangerous ?

Or they could just be saving it for a GTN model?

Re: Another Plus6 review - 10/01/20 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Alistair

When you put the power on it will spin up and allow the power to be dissipated to a degree. Given the low RPM turbo torque of that engine it would be a bit of a shocker if the LSD locked up and laid the power down in one BIG FAT lump coming out of a roundabout. Snap oversteer would be a lot more dangerous ?

I asked Steve Morris why no LSD. His answer, which I didn't fully understand, is made clear by your comment. Too much torque at low RPM and big throttle openings would be terrifying.
So really, it needs traction control, as all such cars with such engines seem to have!

I think the 200 bhp 4 cylinder manual could be an utter delight and a lot more predictable.

Re: Another Plus6 review - 11/01/20 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Alistair

I asked Steve Morris why no LSD. His answer, which I didn't fully understand, is made clear by your comment. Too much torque at low RPM and big throttle openings would be terrifying.
So really, it needs traction control, as all such cars with such engines seem to have!

I think the 200 bhp 4 cylinder manual could be an utter delight and a lot more predictable.

Don't most cars have traction control now ? If the plus 6 had it no doubt the track test would have been very different ? How much would it add to the cost of an already fairly high priced car making it difficult to sell ? Questions questions .......... sherlock
Posted By: Alistair

Re: Another Plus6 review - 11/01/20 12:03 PM

I thought that T/C was a mandatory on new road vehicles so am a little surprised however the programming of T/C, Anti-Lock and all the other modern marvels is not something to underestimate. There are complete departments in BMW and other companies that just do the settings etc. I spoke to one chap and the different scenarios they consider are actually mind boggling. Snow, dry snow, wet snow, mud, wet, torrential, slide, half on road +++++. Then we add all of those under braking or acceleration. This changes when we add steering lock as the rotational speed may change as a result. All of this is normally running against the brake sensors for the wheel rotational speed.

I also noted that the first thing they do for the test is to (try) and turn off all of the nanny functions for the track so they could feel the car not the electronics. Given how deeply intrusive the T/C is on the ML63 in general driving I do feel it's no bad thing to have a natural drivetrain in all except extreme conditions. Then again I have not been in a ditch for a LONG time now and it only takes one reminder to hurt your pride and insurance. On a track the nannies do get in the way a lot more. If you go back and read the road tests of the first M3 which had turbo IL6 instead of V8 many of the comments about lumps of turbo-torque sound a touch like the PlusSix review. The question is what could they have fitted which was better, I don't think they are allowed to change the engine map without voiding the WLTP/Emissions stuff which would make the whole thing a lot bigger problem and probably have stopped the financial viability of the car in the worst case?

As an aside when the S2 went in for last MOT/Service I got a BMW agent to do the MOT for me to see what a fresh set of eyes would find. The young engineer doing the MoT was really good and highlighted that the rear ABS sensors were going to fail soon due to the rings. Apparently the sensors work against a ring around the driveshaft and as these get old they swell and sitort slightly which causes them to rub against the sensor. He said these came from a 1 series and it was well known for having this problem as well. When driving you can hear a road speed related ting/click noise and I had wondered if this was down to handbrake but this put me right. He said the replacement was easy and should be done soonish to avoid damage to the sensor.
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Another Plus6 review - 11/01/20 04:28 PM

Low volume manufacture is not subject to the same levels of "red tape", so T/C etc. not mandatory, yet.
Although that could be changed at any time.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News