Talk Morgan

real life picture with the hardtop on?

Posted By: 1560

real life picture with the hardtop on? - 14/12/19 05:35 PM

anyone got a picture of a PlusSix (or Prototype PlusFour arr ) with the hardtop on it?
not a CGI (drawing), but a photo?
Posted By: Alistair

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 14/12/19 06:04 PM

Do a quick google for Morgan Plus six hardtop and then click the images link on the top of the page.

Here is the first one it popped up.
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...-s-quicker-than-the-toyota-ar184834.html

[Linked Image]
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 14/12/19 07:32 PM

This French guy seems a little excitable..

https://www.facebook.com/Turbo.fr/videos/449380185771929/

Apologies to the non Facebook people.
Posted By: Gambalunga

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/12/19 12:20 AM

Fortunately you still seem to be able to watch the video without facebook.

Great stuff.
Posted By: thierry242

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/12/19 08:13 AM

The hard top is not available before january,even for the already delivered cars.

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/12/19 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by thierry242
The hard top is not available before january,even for the already delivered cars.

heard that too
just hope it looks as good in reality as on that 'image' above

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/12/19 02:04 PM

My feeling is that it would be best to order it with the car so that you can be sure of a good fit. Unless Morgan have somewhat advanced their production processes I am not convinced they can do a "one size fits all".
Posted By: John V6

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/12/19 02:49 PM

Peter, I tend to agree as the top of the body is supposedly coach built

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/12/19 03:05 PM

I had one on my black V6, it moved with the rest of the car rofl
Posted By: Gordon D

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/12/19 07:09 PM

I believe every CX platform will be identical, the Ash frame that sits on it will also be created using templates or maybe even CNC router. Both still qualify as a hand finished, craftsman built product. The hard top will built to the same tolerance, this will ensure a consistent fit.

IMHO these are the changes that will improve productivity and quality not to mention profitability at the factory and is a massive step in the right direction.
Posted By: DaveW

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/12/19 09:39 PM

They fit the ash frame onto a chassis buck first to ensure accuracy. There are at least two in the factory, maybe three. The guides will know.
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 16/12/19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1560
anyone got a picture of a PlusSix (or Prototype PlusFour arr ) with the hardtop on it?
not a CGI (drawing), but a photo?

Try these from the Prescott launch

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MDS61

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 16/12/19 02:57 PM

I think that as much as I like my Roadster and would love a PlusSix - the side screen's (as someone else has mentioned) - should be consigned to the (design) bin.

Great you can have that "open" feeling when they are off....but to store - or have in place with the hood, that is another story (they also look cheap with the hard top)?
Posted By: KEVFITZ

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 16/12/19 03:20 PM

As you know I love a hard top on a Morgan but having examined the above at Prescot launch the sidescreen arrangement is not worthy of a £100 grand car in my opinion !

This is from someone who loves the cx platform and who looks forward to the 4 cylinder manual version next year..I am already building up a war chest !!!

Hardtop ok on a well used poverty model P4SS !!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 16/12/19 04:02 PM

I like the look of the Plus Six hardtop, and without redesigning the doors, how would you get rid of the side-screens?

My experience of the S5 Aero is that high doors are claustrophobic, and restrict elbow room, something which the Trads don't suffer from.

For me, the wipers and door mirrors are both in need of an upgrade for the price.
Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 16/12/19 06:04 PM

Good pics, Cooperman. Thank you..!!

Having done lots of background research on hardtops over the last few years, they are made by the Devil from Unicorn tears. The angles on a Morgan are so independent of each other that it's hard to get a really great 'flow' to the design.

For example, just looking at the clear differences between the windscreen joint alone show that the "A" pillar corners are like sore thumbs but do their job to match up with a flat windscreen. Compare that to my hardtop in KevFitz's photo.. (I say 'my' hardtop as I clearly lost the rock/paper/scissors decision making when we both looked at it..) but Kev's is a different fixing and looks a lot better viewed from the outside in that pic.

The sidescreen fit on that PlusSix looks (from here) to be quite ad-hoc, and whilst that's a fun feature on a Trad, it ain't quite the same on a big buck CX.

I'd like to think that if I ever were in a position to blag a P6, I'd opt for the GT version, but I'd need to see one in the flesh first..

Agreed about the wipers and door mirrors, too..!!!

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 16/12/19 08:37 PM

It deffo needs the CooperMan wiper upgrade (past thread somewhere)

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 16/12/19 09:45 PM

The rubber, all buckled and protruding from the back of the door, is just not great on the first of those images.

I believe the roof is good, it is those side screens that are cr*p?

Why not "option" proper doors with a hard top roof?"

If you have the hard top on - the option of fitting side screens becomes obsolete. Therefore Morgan should sell:

- full doors with a hard top, electric windows etc etc. in the doors.
and
- doors with side screens when the hard top is removed and the soft top is in place.

Problem solved...got to think outside the box thinking
Posted By: Neilda

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 17/12/19 07:37 AM

I've always thought the Morgan to be a roadster - unless a storm has it's own name, it is to be driven with side screens off and roof down.

If you want a hard top and proper doors, there are probably better alternatives.

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 17/12/19 08:49 AM

Neilda I agree....until I discovered the delight of driving with hardtop and side screens off,,,

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 17/12/19 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Neilda
I've always thought the Morgan to be a roadster - unless a storm has it's own name, it is to be driven with side screens off and roof down.

If you want a hard top and proper doors, there are probably better alternatives.

Well there are a few S5 floating around which sounds like it would be the alternative if you don't want the Trad shape I guess ?

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 17/12/19 01:19 PM

Surely Morgan will make a GT body at some point.

Something like this could be a possibility and still retain Morgan historical significance.

[Linked Image]

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 17/12/19 02:20 PM

stop teasing me!!!!!!!!

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 17/12/19 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gambalunga

Something like this could be a possibility and still retain Morgan historical significance.

[Linked Image]

Peter, no chance of anything like that....sure they might make a GT....?

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 17/12/19 04:10 PM

Get an Aeromax whilst you still can there are a couple going if you want a roof grin2 they are almost watertight grin2

If you must have a hardtop on your Classic this is the only one to get, it's stylish, the rest all look a bit kit car really in fit and finish imho and I've looked at them on and off for 40 years now. It does need a change of wheels though they look very clumsy, I know what they were trying to do but..

[Linked Image]

Then there was this impression..

[Linked Image]

The Plus Six top looks good and the fit "should" be good if we are to believe the bits we read on standardised builds.
Posted By: Jacques

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 17/12/19 08:12 PM

This black one MOGAtlantic is wonderful, I want one ! thumbs

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 17/12/19 10:57 PM

I nuch prefer the lokk of the SLR. A cross between something from Jaguar and an Italian designer. It is just plain sexy. If I had money to burn I would have someone build one for me.

Here is another photo to tantalise you as to what might have been instead of the Plus 4 +

[Linked Image]

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 17/12/19 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jacques
This black one MOGAtlantic is wonderful, I want one ! thumbs

Yes that would suit me nicely too thumbs
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 18/12/19 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Stringers Best Mate

Having done lots of background research on hardtops over the last few years

I've had a vague hankering for a hardtop for years, without ever really being sure why. I've never really been able to answer the question

"What is it about a hardtop that is better than simply having the soft top up?"

and the follow-up question "Would it be easier to modify the fabric hood to be more like the hard top?" with additional layers, stiffening, or insulation maybe?

If it's just a look thing, then in my view it's not enough in my mind as the obvious disadvantages of a hard top are not enough to compensate.

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 18/12/19 08:04 AM

The Coupe is slightly more practical than the S2 but either way a reboot of the SLR would be great if it is still legal due to pedestrian impact regs. It’s very pretty and still has a degree of the Morgan curve? It would make a great future model on the CX chassis.
Posted By: TBM

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 18/12/19 08:06 AM

I had a hardtop on my old Mk3 Spitfire. I think it works really well when you have proper doors with windup windows and seals and stuff.

In my Mog, most of the draughts come in via the door seals, and where the sidescreens meet the windscreen, You'd have the same issues with a hardtop. Only slight benefit would be the removal the squeaks and rattles you get with a soft top.

I think someone else mentioned this above, I'd see more of a benefit if you changed the doors as well, but then it becomes such a ball ache, you'd never bother!!
Posted By: Robbie

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 18/12/19 09:14 AM

I heard that one of theSLR owners has a spare shell - the factory should buy it and use it to make replicas

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 18/12/19 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Robbie
I heard that one of theSLR owners has a spare shell - the factory should buy it and use it to make replicas

Interesting, so that's where the famed 4th one is hiding

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 18/12/19 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hamwich
Originally Posted by Stringers Best Mate

Having done lots of background research on hardtops over the last few years

I've had a vague hankering for a hardtop for years, without ever really being sure why. I've never really been able to answer the question

"What is it about a hardtop that is better than simply having the soft top up?"

and the follow-up question "Would it be easier to modify the fabric hood to be more like the hard top?" with additional layers, stiffening, or insulation maybe?

If it's just a look thing, then in my view it's not enough in my mind as the obvious disadvantages of a hard top are not enough to compensate.

Tim, quite a few mainstream manufacturers offer hi-spec hood options with things like acoustic interlayers, so I assume a good trimmer could sort a Mog, I've even seen carbonfibre threads woven into upholstery

So, a carbonfibre folding softop anyone ?

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 20/12/19 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by +8Rich

Get an Aeromax whilst you still can there are a couple going if you want a roof

Had one but when I wanted to order it, they were all sold, so I ordered the V6 with the hardtop
two weeks before I took delivery of the Roadster I got a phone, on a friday; "You still want an Aeromax", on monday I said "yes"
and by October I had 2 Morgans

I prefer the smaller back window in the 'old' hardtop, the new design is less cosy :-(

Big Thank You @Cooperman for the pictures

my old hardtop'ed:
[Linked Image]

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 20/12/19 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1560

Get an Aeromax whilst you still can there are a couple going if you want a roof

Had one but when I wanted to order it, they were all sold, so I ordered the V6 with the hardtop
two weeks before I took delivery of the Roadster I got a phone, on a friday; "You still want an Aeromax", on monday I said "yes"
and by October I had 2 Morgans

I prefer the smaller back window in the 'old' hardtop, the new design is less cosy :-(

Big Thank You @Cooperman for the pictures

my old hardtop'ed:
[Linked Image]

I love the story of two Morgan ownership and I agree about the window size in the hard top.
Are you rearing to get a Plus Six now I wonder ?

p.s. I love the registration plate on your Roadster thumbs

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 20/12/19 05:25 PM

BIG question at home:
they will produce 'racy special editions' in the future...
so... a basic CX4/4 or CX+4 with hardtop in an easy selling spec might be the start
and swap it when a special edition (1962-2022) is launched with sportseats etc...
I still have that plate, it sat on an MX-5 but that is sold, so I have to put it on the GT4 or I loose it (3months max)

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 20/12/19 05:36 PM

I can understand the difficulty of the decision, you never quite know when Morgan will throw a curved ball into the mix. Like a few others on here it will be very interesting to see the Plus Four CX to me this will be the model to have especially if it has a manual box.
You must keep that number it's gold dust in the Morgan fraternity.
Posted By: Jays ex Nero

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 09/01/20 09:29 AM

I always wanted a hardtop for Nero. I gave up searching. The build of the Trads is so inconsistent that I realised that it would have to be a bespoke item. In spite of improvements to the CX platform, the wood frame will always let it down. The frames on all models have been jig cut for years....the inconsistency comes from the assembly of the frame. The CX may be more precise but I bet there’s the odd millimetre out from car to car and that makes all the difference.
Morgan have always dangled the carrot of hardtops but never really delivered sadly.

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 09/01/20 09:47 AM

It is possible !!!!

[Linked Image]

Just saying !!!....

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 09/01/20 03:36 PM

beautifull!!!

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 09/01/20 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by KEVFITZ
It is possible !!!!

[Linked Image]

Just saying !!!....

I wonder how the law views having two registration numbers on the same car?

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 09/01/20 05:05 PM

Got 3 actually Peter...one on the front as well !!!!

Only joking...The famous TOK was only on for a special occasion...now removed.

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 09/01/20 06:08 PM

Love yer work Kev, however, how does a Hard Top work with no windows?

The speed you go - you will blow the Hard Top off laugh2

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 09/01/20 08:26 PM

Well...I too was interested to find out how it would sit at speed.

I had planned to drill some holes in the rear screen as per many race cars...till I discovered the rear screen was glass !!!

Remarkable how light the roof is even with a glass rear window.

I can confirm that all is well at 100...obviously on a private road officer !!!

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/01/20 11:05 AM

Now there is a lot of work gone into creating this one by Dave Rutherford 10/10 for effort.

[Linked Image]

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/01/20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by KEVFITZ
Well...I too was interested to find out how it would sit at speed.

I had planned to drill some holes in the rear screen as per many race cars...till I discovered the rear screen was glass !!!

Remarkable how light the roof is even with a glass rear window.

I can confirm that all is well at 100...obviously on a private road officer !!!

Did your chest wig stay on Kev???
Posted By: BertR

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/01/20 08:52 PM

Now there is a lot of work gone into creating this one by Dave Rutherford 10/10 for effort.

[Linked Image]

Is this the shooting brake model?

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 15/01/20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BertR

[Linked Image]

Is this the shooting brake model?

I think you maybe are right there Bert, I've never seen one before.
Posted By: Pistonhead

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 25/03/20 02:09 PM

FYI - real life hardtop pics:

https://home.mobile.de/MERZPABSTCARSMOREGMBH#des_294729976

Best,
Sven

(ending 8 years of inactivity on TM ... and 6 dreary years without a Morgan)
Posted By: waikiore

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 27/03/20 09:26 PM

Has anyone else noticed whilst browsing the web how many UK dealers have the plus six first edition 2019 model for sale ready for immediate delivery ? I can't see this changing now the plus four is released.
Posted By: B&C Morgan

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 04/08/20 08:39 AM

Try these for size!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: twotribes

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 05/08/20 07:35 AM

Nice plate !
Posted By: John V6

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 05/08/20 07:52 AM

Nice looking car.
Posted By: ChrisConvertible

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 06/08/20 02:26 AM

Great Photos, both the car and the buildings are lovely. Just Googled Bell and Colvill to find out where they are out of curiosity and found they were only 9 miles from where I lived from 6 to 9. Wish my parents had taken me there to see the nice cars I expect they had even back then.
Posted By: Heinz

Re: real life picture with the hardtop on? - 06/08/20 04:21 AM

It may be that a Plus Four is the more balanced car in more respects. But the Plus Six has something very special in its own way. I like it very much in this colour combination. The hardtop suits it very well, even if it looks a little bit clumsy in the back from the side view. And I would be very tempted to tickle the beast out of the Plus Six...in the dry and with the hope to return safely after the extensive test drive...preferably for a whole weekend including some track drive. I'm sure it would make a difference if I drove with the necessary respect and with the knowledge of the whole history of the accidents. There is no way I would drive in this "relaxed" cruise mode with the exception of a try on a secured wide area outside of traffic.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News