Talk Morgan

I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four

Posted By: Moogie

I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 16/07/20 08:36 PM

Hi everyone!

So I got my new car this week and I thought I would share my impressions with you guys. :-) This is my short, subjective review.

First, the bad...

1. The seats could be better. They are not bad, they are actually nicer than in the Plus Six, but they offer less support than the seats in my previous 2017 4/4. The padding is not optimal as it feels as if there is more padding in the middle of the seat than on the sides. As a result you sit on the seat rather than in it.
2. The breaks, although very effective, squeal like a pig in heat and feel like stepping into a quag mire.
3. The seatbelt warning chime is loud, and it insists that there is an unbuckled passenger in the passenger seat even if it is empty (a slight fault certainly).
4. The steering is nicely weighted, but could offer more feedback.
5. The «stereo system» is truly the worst, most tinny sounding system I have ever heard. Utterly useless!

Now the fantastic...
1. She is drop dead gorgous!
2. The feels just as much like Morgan as any Morgan I have been in.
3. The chassis feels like it has been carved out of billet aluminium. It is super solid with not a single squeak or rattle. Traversing sleeping policemen and pot holes is a joy and she takes them in her stride without protest. I would even go as far as saying she feels more substantial than my 2000 Bentley Arnage, and that is really saying something for a 1000kg car (or even a tank). :-)
4. She is seriously QUICK and the automatic transmission (as most of you guys told me) works really sell.
5. The ride quality is sublime for a sports car! She is not at all crashy over bumps etc. and rides like cars used to ride before they were all spoiled by Nurnberger ring lap times. Firm, taut suspension with tall «high» profile tires. Love it!
6. The sound with standard exhaust is really deep and purposeful sounding. Much nicer than I had expected.

In short I could not really be any happier, I love the car to bits, and think we will get along famously for a long time!

Bonnet strap, luggage rack and b/w Union Jack emblems are on order, AND Moto-Lita is working with Morgan on a new boss that will allow the car to be fitted with a much nicer steering wheel quite soon. :-)

If I can manage it I will include some pictures, but I have as of yet not ficured out how I can post pictures of acceptable quality. Can anyone provide any insight?
Posted By: SFO

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 16/07/20 08:38 PM

thumbsnap for pics
Posted By: Heinz

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 16/07/20 08:58 PM

Moogie, thanks for sharing your first impressions. It sounds wonderful, in every aspect. And the cons are some which could be sorted, even the seats. Perhaps this link may help to post photos.

http://www.talkmorgan.com/ubbthread...uide-to-sharing-photos-online#Post461692
Posted By: Hawki

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 16/07/20 09:11 PM

Moogie. Congratulations you have a very nice car. It’s interesting to see you likes and dislikes. They align almost exactly with my impression on a test drive. The seat backs did not feel quite right and the brakes squeeled just the same. I also had to plug in the seat belt to stop the alarm. Why did Morgan decide to fit one at all? I think if I had one it would be disconnected.

On the positives just the same, a massive leap forward from my GDI plus 4.

Good to see a mota lita is on the way.
Posted By: +8Rich

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 16/07/20 09:20 PM

Thanks for your report Moogie very positive, of course the seats and brakes seem to be an issue to all test drivers so hopefully these will be addressed by MMC in the time honoured fashion.

Glad you are enjoying the cars performance and handling I find that encouraging particularly the confirmation that the autobox is the way to go.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 16/07/20 09:29 PM

Thanks for the help guys!

Hopefully this will work:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Fox Terrier

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 16/07/20 09:36 PM

Great photos. You guys look understandably happy! One quick question: how is the ground clearance compared with the "old" Plus 4?

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 16/07/20 09:45 PM

Thank you guys! :-)

I would say the ground clerance is a bit better. At least I transversed an unexpected speed bump today with no problems. The same speed bump (at the same speed) would have bottomed out my previous 4/4.

Now some pictures by night.:-)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Luddite

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 16/07/20 09:53 PM

Great set of images, can I detect a little bit of affection for your car in them...? smile

Thanks for posting and of course....ENJOY... thumbs
Posted By: Heinz

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 16/07/20 09:59 PM

These are gorgeous pictures. What a beautiful car in a wonderful landscape! And how happy are you looking,
Posted By: John V6

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 07:42 AM

Congratulations. The car looks great & you summed it up well. I had the same thoughts from my test drive.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 08:09 AM

The headlights look brighter too
Posted By: Rob Thornton

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 08:42 AM

Fabulous images - and car of course!
Looking forward to your further reports and pictures and wishing you very enjoyable PlusFour motoring. You have certainly set a very high benchmark!
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 10:27 AM

Looks very nice Moogie, enjoy !

Interesting comment re Motolita development, I wonder how they will address the paddles on the autos ?
Posted By: Budster

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 10:55 AM

Great photos and a fantastic looking car.

Your description of “super solid, without a single squeak or rattle “
ooo

Are you sure it was built at MMC? wink

Bud
4/4 - Stanley

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 11:16 AM

Bud it is truly a different experience.
Posted By: Budster

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by John V6

I really need to take a test drive.

Bud
4/4 - Stanley
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Budster
Originally Posted by John V6

I really need to take a test drive.

Bud
4/4 - Stanley

You do! thumbs
Posted By: Clipper

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by CooperMan
Looks very nice Moogie, enjoy !

Interesting comment re Motolita development, I wonder how they will address the paddles on the autos ?

Several design options are available.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bmgermany

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fox Terrier
Great photos. You guys look understandably happy! One quick question: how is the ground clearance compared with the "old" Plus 4?

Also my first thoughts: Fine to see such happy owners!
Posted By: pete757

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 06:34 PM

Congrats! Lovely!

I had not noticed the interesting rear split high level brake lights before!

Enjoy!
Posted By: DaveW

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 06:39 PM

Congratulations!
Posted By: bmgermany

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by pete757
Congrats! Lovely!

I had not noticed the interesting rear split high level brake lights before!

Enjoy!

I have seen the Plus Four in flesh today a d yes the high level brake lights are a huge improvement.
Posted By: Clipper

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 17/07/20 07:50 PM

bilen ser bra ut - kos deg.
Posted By: 1560

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 21/07/20 08:14 PM

looks good
is that not the only non-electric car sold in Norway this year?

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 22/07/20 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Clipper
bilen ser bra ut - kos deg.

Takk! :-)

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 22/07/20 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1560
looks good

Hehe, just about! :-)

I think about 56% of all new cars sold are electric. I also contributed there with an Ipace, som I am propellant neutral. :-)
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 22/07/20 07:14 AM

Beautiful looking car judging by the great pictures thumbs Your findings align with mine following one hour test drive although that was in the manual version. Didn't enjoy the exhaust note so much though with an annoying drone when at town speeds. Never heard the stereo system but with door speakers in a proper cavity would have expected better than the footwell speakers in trads.

Ridiculous and unfinished seat belt warning situation. On my Roadster there is only a driver's seat warning sensor so that works fine. If MMC were obliged to fit sensors to both seats, its a no brainer to include passenger sensor as well.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 22/07/20 05:07 PM

I wonder how hard it is to disable the seat belt warning? I can’t stand the things even on my tin top.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 22/07/20 06:29 PM

Try unplugging the wire between the drivers seat and tunnel. It's a small plug and is a tight fit. Not sure if that will stop the light or make it permanently on.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 22/07/20 07:52 PM

Not sure if it makes or breaks the circuit when seat belt buckle clicked, but either way it could be simulated by unplugging and/or adding link if needed.
Posted By: exbiker

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 23/07/20 06:57 AM

go to a local scrapyard and get the seat belt buckle, cut the strap off and put the buckle in.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 23/07/20 08:43 AM

On the later Roadsters with seat belt buzzer, it was just a matter of disconnecting the harness plug under the seat

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 23/07/20 10:45 AM

Will it be so easy to disable it on a new plus four which uses a bus for wiring? It could be but equally it may not be so simple I know you can’t change things like the lights without upsetting things.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 23/07/20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hawki
Will it be so easy to disable it on a new plus four which uses a bus for wiring? It could be but equally it may not be so simple I know you can’t change things like the lights without upsetting things.

No reason to assume it still cannot be overriden Gary. The belt clip sensor is a simple switch and very easy to simulate, so it won't upset the BCU. With lights (if MMC haven't disabled in firmware) its a different matter as they sense current flow to determine if bulb blown.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 23/07/20 03:53 PM

Thanks Richard. If I get a new plus four disabling the seatbelt will be my first change to the car

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 23/07/20 04:44 PM

Pop it round to mine & I'll sort it, no issue with the Roadster BCU, then you can take me out for a PlusFour blast laugh

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 23/07/20 05:01 PM

The Great Escape Gang seem to be upgrading cars. Tony moving to a Brooklands Roadster & Gary in love with the Plus Four. Soon Nick plus four & i will have the least powerful cars.
swear
Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 23/07/20 07:28 PM

Get it spent, John..
Posted By: MDS61

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 24/07/20 03:19 PM

How does disabling a safety feature impact (pardon the pun) on any insurance claim?

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 26/07/20 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Moogie
looks good

I think about 56% of all new cars sold are electric. I also contributed there with an Ipace, som I am propellant neutral. :-)

Today we tried the Mazda MX30 and my girlfriend loved it, she hopes she can run it as a company car when she the lease needs renewal
I didn't find it 'fun' enough, so I'll probably buy the new Mini electric, that is an amazing little sporty fun car, the way it goes round a bend: unbelievable
it would be my 3th Mini and it feels so right to buy the electric

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 27/07/20 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Moogie
looks good

Today we tried the Mazda MX30 and my girlfriend loved it, she hopes she can run it as a company car when she the lease needs renewal
I didn't find it 'fun' enough, so I'll probably buy the new Mini electric, that is an amazing little sporty fun car, the way it goes round a bend: unbelievable
it would be my 3th Mini and it feels so right to buy the electric

Have you tried the i3?

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 27/07/20 08:10 PM

not yet, same engine as MINI E

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 27/07/20 10:15 PM

i3 has better range as it has a bigger battery

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 28/07/20 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by SFO

And the potential REx versions, which totally remove range anxiety
Posted By: Hamwich

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 28/07/20 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by CooperMan
Originally Posted by SFO

And the potential REx versions, which totally remove range anxiety

I thought BMW had stopped doing REx, as they were finding the engines were giving trouble because they weren't being used?

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 28/07/20 08:49 AM

Yes they've stopped them. For just that reason it would seem. Pity.
Don't know why folks bought them if they weren't going to use the range extender.
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 28/07/20 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
Yes they've stopped them. For just that reason it would seem. Pity.
Don't know why folks bought them if they weren't going to use the range extender.

I wonder if it was just "range anxiety"?

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 28/07/20 09:01 AM

Possibly Jon, but there were (and still are) two different battery ranges available.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 28/07/20 09:05 AM

Never had any REx engine problems on either of mine, but I did use the menu to 'force' the REx to run once a month

They did drop the REx for the European market but it is still made for some countries, the last UK ones were registered around Jan 2019
Posted By: Jon G4LJW

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 28/07/20 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Graham, G4FUJ
Possibly Jon, but there were (and still are) two different battery ranges available.

thumbs

Interesting thread drift anyway!

grin2
Posted By: tommog

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 01/08/20 04:48 AM

I had my first time sitting in a plus 6. a great car but I would definitely go for the new plus four. Much better looking imho.
What I did not like at all are the seats! They are way too high and you are sitting on the car. Feels like you are not belonging to the car. Do they use the same seats on the four?
Tom

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 01/08/20 09:19 AM

Sadly yes & they changed the back padding so now it is less comfortable if that is possible.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 01/08/20 12:19 PM

Agreed, Morgan need to do something about the plus 4 seats. I find most cars seats fine but they are really uncomfortable.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 01/08/20 02:50 PM

Yep and the key criteria for head office is how comfortable are the seats.
Posted By: tommog

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 01/08/20 03:35 PM

The seat is so strange imo, there must be Someone in the factory who thinks a lot about making the Seat position uncomfortable. 😜

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 01/08/20 04:39 PM

Yep, my clerk of works wouldn't sign off my requisition sheet for the same reason nono

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 01/08/20 06:03 PM

Maybe they used to work for Vauxhall, the only car (Vectra) which gave me backache within five miles.

When I went to the Chiropracter, I told her we'd rented a car for a few days which gave me immediate backache.

"Was it a Vauxhall?" she said.
Posted By: PeterG

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 01/08/20 06:30 PM

Mine said that about my Porsche....told me to get a Transit.
Posted By: Paul F

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 01/08/20 06:59 PM

The only car I have ever been really uncomfortable in was a Cavalier CDX (top of the range) and my first company car.
A promotion gained me an Omega. This was fine.

Frankly, if we test drive a Plus Four and Mrs F decrees that the seats are comfortable then we will buy it. Even if I am in purgatory. The logic being that a sore back is less painful than perpetual ear ache.
Posted By: SFG

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 02/08/20 07:02 PM

Like this one?
[Linked Image]
And this?
[Linked Image]

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 03/08/20 06:45 AM

Mine was a 1994 - M707GAD

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 03/08/20 07:07 AM

Well you are a lot younger!

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 03/08/20 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by SFG
Well you are a lot younger!

I'll take that as a compliment.

cheers

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 03/08/20 03:37 PM

Yes, not at all ironic

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 03/08/20 03:39 PM

I see on AW’s ad that a plus four is £80k and the plus six is £85k.
Think I’d have the six and take two plugs out

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 03/08/20 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by SFG
I see on AW’s ad that a plus four is £80k and the plus six is £85k.
Think I’d have the six and take two plugs out

laugh2 laugh2
Posted By: Deejay

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 13/09/20 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by DaveW
Maybe they used to work for Vauxhall, the only car (Vectra) which gave me backache within five miles.

When I went to the Chiropracter, I told her we'd rented a car for a few days which gave me immediate backache.

Only just noticed this. EXACTLY my experience back in the 90s, virtually word for word!!

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 13/09/20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Deejay
Originally Posted by DaveW

Only just noticed this. EXACTLY my experience back in the 90s, virtually word for word!!

Me too, only trouble is I'm still suffering & off to my Chiro's tuesday...again
Posted By: Peter J

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 14/09/20 11:56 AM

Another casualty of the 1980s Cavalier.
Then a Peugeot 405....

Since then Mercedes..they make great seats, the cars are OK.

Seriously, the old AERO high back seat I find VERY comfortable. The Plus Four is possibly the best car MMC has ever made. With lower, better padded seats it would be perfect.
I read somewhere that the seats have to be a certain height to give a specific sight line to meet homologation rules. So I suspect there is nothing MMC can do. A good trimmer should be able to re-pad and lower slightly.

Re: I got my new car! 2021 Plus Four - 14/09/20 01:40 PM

Oh yes, forgot the Pug 405, really heavy steering and then to top it off almost every one on the fleet failed it's first MOT with corroded brake lines confused2 outside warranty of course
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News