Talk Morgan

The tool tray..............

Posted By: DaveW

The tool tray.............. - 26/07/16 07:41 PM

Well, today I made a start on this. My first effort eight years ago was wholly wood, and made use of the extra depth available on the offside. It was fiddly to build, but has stood the test of time, but a 'never again' job. ooo

So three years ago when I needed another, having contemplated a wood & aluminium composite, I ended up making one essentially out of a single piece of aluminium, shaped like an aerofoil, and with two pieces added at the sides, and an aluminium box over the diff. It was about 85% OK, but really tested my ability with the tools I have available. It was a 'never again' job. ooo ooo

So faced with this again............ and the reason is very simple. Without extra capacity in the tool tray, all tools and other essentials end up under or behind the seats.

This is the standard set up. On the left is a circular recess which is said to be for a spare wheel nut.
There's a rectangle for a first aid kit and a wheelbrace shaped recess for if you have alloys.

At present, the standard supplied hammer is an aluminium Thor (on the left). My old No1 Thor with copper & leather hammer is on the right.

This is my tool roll, with the usual tools, plus some cable ties, wire, insulating tape (covering the MG badge), and a couple of extra nuts and bolts for the rack mountings. On the right are some spare junior hacksaw blades and a tyre pressure gauge.

With the tray out you can see the latest tank design. This tank is higher than the 2012 tank - which did present a small problem because I started work on Bumble, but more of that in a minute.

I measured the vertical clearance between the brake pipe union and the top of the tank.

Just under 2.25 inches - 5.5cm. That should be enough.

These two protruding nuts and bolt ends get in the way of the tool tray. There are two more on the other side.

Look closely - I decided to make this tool tray in two halves with a centre section riveted in place. This way I was able to make a start on Bumble and transfer the pieces onto the new car. I knew that it wouldn't be the same, but I hadn't reckoned on the fuel tank being higher! I got round this by curving the rear section to lose a bit of height. Interestingly the cut outs I had made on Bumble for the upper damper mounts were not big enough. There was a good half inch difference, so I've been busy with the tin snips. It was much easier to bend these halves using timber formers in the vice, than the huge single piece of aluminium in the Mk2 version. Although I had planned to build a slave body frame to make things easier, the differences meant that it was easier to do the fitting on the car, but taking real care swinging the pieces in and out.

The rear centre panel needed a cut out for the protruding sender/pick up. This is how it started.

Eventually I got a good fit. I'll need to make a cover.

This is the underside. Now riveted into a single piece. I've used double sided tape between the overlaps to seal it.

Final test fit of the day.

That's all for now. I have a few days at work and the Silverstone Classic, so it's on hold until next week.

It will need sides, covers for the damper top mounts and a diff cover. All very time consuming jobs, but so far I'm pleased how it's going.
You can see why the tool tray is so difficult to mass produce. Although Superform could easily bang them out, unless the trads can be standardised under the rear hatch, every one would need fettling before it would fit. To build tool trays as a cottage industry........... well, a good two days work and no guarantee it would fit without having access to the car.
thumbs

Posted By: John V6

Re: The tool tray.............. - 26/07/16 10:34 PM

Good work Dave. That tank really is different
Posted By: Richard - Aus

Re: The tool tray.............. - 26/07/16 10:51 PM

Wonderful. When mine's back together I plan to build a "box" for behind the rear seat. You're providing inspiration!
Posted By: Yann

Re: The tool tray.............. - 27/07/16 12:49 AM

Pretty good job,Dave two question will you make it movable ?? , second & last for the moment will you made some for separate tool and spare part (for example) smile smile

Re: The tool tray.............. - 27/07/16 06:45 AM

Yann - it will be screwed down and will have more than enough space for various tools. And lined with neoprene to stop rattles!

Re: The tool tray.............. - 27/07/16 06:48 AM

Originally Posted By John V6
Good work Dave. That tank really is different

It does beg the question John - will this tank fill above the level of the centre section. Or will that just be pockets of air......... thinking
Posted By: Rog

Re: The tool tray.............. - 27/07/16 08:15 AM

Looking very nice Dave. I remember the last one, really impressed with your skill and tenacity.

It’s a job I want to tackle one day but I keep putting off because I know it’s not easy.
Posted By: GaB

Re: The tool tray.............. - 27/07/16 08:54 AM

This looks so good Dave, and so much better than the factory blister pack.
It even looks capable of storing most of the spares that everyone has been 'helping' me to pull together.

I could envisage a fabrication company doing production versions to make the space useful...
Posted By: Burgundymog

Re: The tool tray.............. - 27/07/16 05:18 PM

I pile all my tools plus a lightweight waterproof jacket and a car rug into the passenger side Hills Alive box. Job done.

Re: The tool tray.............. - 02/08/16 08:00 PM

Well I've made good progress over the last couple of days but be in no doubt that this is a testing job using aluminium. The two section method is certainly easier than starting with a single sheet, but its still a huge challenge. It's almost complete but needs a bit of finishing off, so pictures will follow when I get ready to fit.
By the end it will have taken probably 30 hours graft, and it doesn't get any easier with practice! No way would this be good enough to sell..............
But it's good enough for me!
Posted By: NeilL

Re: The tool tray.............. - 03/08/16 08:04 AM

Fantastic stuff Dave - and thanks for finding the time to post all the details - part of your fun I suspect!

You are an inspiration for me to do all those tiny jobs I keep meaning to do on the MOG - just little mainly cosmetic things but your scale of task makes me feel humbled and almost guilty at not doing them - especially as of last thursday I am now retired!!

Re: The tool tray.............. - 04/08/16 07:50 PM

Before I move on to the tool tray, here's a really simple but effective add-on to new cars by the factory. For the easy up hood.

They've added a Tenax stud each side to the frame here:

Which stops the hood flapping about if you don't use the cover:

It's so good I've added a pair to the Roadster - 3mm drill bit and take it steady.......
Posted By: AJSki2fly

Re: The tool tray.............. - 04/08/16 08:19 PM

Yep that's my mod that I showed Mr Morris when I had my Roadster, funny that. grin2

But I'm sure somebody else will have already done it.

Re: The tool tray.............. - 04/08/16 08:55 PM

So anyway! - next I made some sides, first cardboard and then aluminium.

This is how I bent the flanges:

Then the damper mounting cover - here's the template:

Aluminium first cut:

Completed cover ready for fitting/fettling.

Coming on well - I've used pop rivets this time.

I got hold of three tin snips for this job - straight and curve left and right.

Adding a tight bend:

More to follow....................

Re: The tool tray.............. - 04/08/16 09:09 PM

In the end I cut the ends off the protruding bolts. I had to leave a cut out to allow fitting/removal of the tray.

On the nearside I decided to add extra clearance for the brake pipe and union.

Next I lined it with 3mm neoprene to inhibit rattles.

And under the diff plate and brake pipe tube.

Another test fit. The yellow leather straps are for pulling it out!

Finally I edged the flange with Mohair edging, which I happened to have on the shelf. This makes it look really smart.

Test fit of tools:

And in the car:

And that's it. A huge effort. It's the best one of the three I've made. It wouldn't fit Mr Bumble and it wouldn't fit the Roadster. The differences are minor but important. Would I do another in aluminium? Dunno, to be honest the first one in wood was much easier, looking back.

It would have been easier to build a cyberman helmet I think!!!!! thumbs

Posted By: NeilL

Re: The tool tray.............. - 04/08/16 09:29 PM

Wowser!
That's an amazing piece of work Dave.

Total respect for,your dedication and skill....!
Posted By: Richard - Aus

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 12:28 AM

Great work Dave.
Posted By: Yann

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 05:18 AM

Geez , i know some hard work wait me for Ms Green Tea smile
Posted By: AJSki2fly

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 05:51 AM

A price a metal origami art, well done thumbs
Posted By: Roger-Cheshire

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 06:17 AM

Dave that's extremely well done. very impressive.
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 07:18 AM

Indeed it is! thumbs
Posted By: tmg513

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 07:39 AM

Great looking job Dave. Would it be possible to glue it rather than use rivets with the modern glues that are around and if so what would be the best to use?
Posted By: John V6

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 07:53 AM

Great work as always

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 08:07 AM

Thanks all. Providing it could be held rigidly while the glue sets it could be glued/bonded. I would just be wary about getting a good enough surface for a permanent bond. With rivets you have to be sure they won't rub anywhere so some go in from the top and some go in from the bottom. And I ground as much off as I could without compromising strength.
Building it up from sections is the best method!
Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 08:28 AM

Well done, you..!

Agree with everyone else, in that it's a huge effort but so rewarding for the finished product. You've gained some much needed space for all the peace of mind 'extra's' & it's just a shame there isn't a one size fits all for a commercial proposition.

Nice one!

thumbs
Posted By: milligoon

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 11:58 AM

I did once think about putting a large block of OASIS foam under the wooden lid, squish it down in place then do a few hundred miles like this over rough bouncy roads to find the suspension limit and then remove and see what maximum space I have in my roadster.

But like a lot of my ideas they remain just that, maybe this topic will inspire me to pull my finger out?

Nice job Dave - you should line it in Yellow though wink
Posted By: John07

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 02:10 PM

Dave,
That's very good, there's lots of ideas to take from that. I need to get rid of that plastic moulding before it dumps the tools on the road.
Tell me, what thickness alloy sheet did you use?
Cheers
John

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 02:20 PM

It's a mix of 1.2 and 1.5 mm John. Any thicker and it's a problem getting a sharp bend.
Posted By: Paul F

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 03:04 PM

That is impressive. Have you considered the price for a production version yet?
hide
Posted By: John07

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 03:31 PM

Thanks for that Dave. I shall be using the same method as you for the bends.
Cheers
John
Posted By: Jays

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 05:00 PM

Nice work Dave!

Re: The tool tray.............. - 05/08/16 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By Paul F
hide

Well Paul, the labour cost would be £xxx, so would be way too expensive to sell.
MMC could make these by Superform (with some compromises on depth to "fit all")and fit to each car, but otherwise it's not really a commercial propositon.

The only commercial option would be to manufacture sections which could be 'fitted' and assembled to individual cars.
Posted By: Paul F

Re: The tool tray.............. - 06/08/16 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By DaveW
Originally Posted By Paul F
hide

Well Paul, the labour cost would be £xxx, so would be way too expensive to sell.
MMC could make these by Superform (with some compromises on depth to "fit all")and fit to each car, but otherwise it's not really a commercial propositon.

The only commercial option would be to manufacture sections which could be 'fitted' and assembled to individual cars.

The Superform option would make a great accessory. I don't have your patience so would happily pay a reasonable price for something ready made.

Re: The tool tray.............. - 06/08/16 08:31 PM

After a run out today I've added a few small tweaks. Nothing catches but I've added a bit more clearance for the rear flexible hose, which emerges from the union at 90 degrees. I'll put a couple of photos up when I get time. We're off to a wedding tomorrow.............................

I agree that Superform would be a fantastic accessory, and sometimes it's hard to see why MMC don't take advantage of something as obvious as this.

Re: The tool tray.............. - 11/08/16 07:57 PM

So just to wrap this up............

I decided to give the flexible pipe a bit more clearance.
Here it emerges from the union horizontally......

So I broke out the Dremel with cutting disc, and it made short work of the modification.

While I was at it.........
I just couldn't resist finishing off the holder-downers. They needed a bit of rounding off with a file. Not so good as the 2005 versions. Then I found some fine leather, and some glue and this was the result.

Very thin leather will wrap over the edge and stick.

So that's it. Job done.

thumbs

Re: The tool tray.............. - 11/08/16 09:10 PM

Yes Perry it's the battery umbilical (as I call it)........
I added it early on in the 'early days' thread.

I've also stuck some leather buffers where the tray sits on the tank. After one trip I could see where they needed to be!
Posted By: James B W

Re: The tool tray.............. - 11/08/16 10:12 PM

excellent job Dave and good to see so many explanatory photo's thumbs

James

Re: The tool tray.............. - 13/07/17 05:32 PM

Post-Photobucket Re-Post...............

Well, today I made a start on this. My first effort eight years ago was wholly wood, and made use of the extra depth available on the offside. It was fiddly to build, but has stood the test of time, but a 'never again' job.

So three years ago when I needed another, having contemplated a wood & aluminium composite, I ended up making one essentially out of a single piece of aluminium, shaped like an aerofoil, and with two pieces added at the sides, and an aluminium box over the diff. It was about 85% OK, but really tested my ability with the tools I have available. It was a 'never again' job. ooo ooo

So faced with this again............ and the reason is very simple. Without extra capacity in the tool tray, all tools and other essentials end up under or behind the seats.

This is the standard set up. On the left is a circular recess which is said to be for a spare wheel nut.
There's a rectangle for a first aid kit and a wheelbrace shaped recess for if you have alloys.

At present, the standard supplied hammer is an aluminium Thor (on the left). My old No1 Thor with copper & leather hammer is on the right.

This is my tool roll, with the usual tools, plus some cable ties, wire, insulating tape (covering the MG badge), and a couple of extra nuts and bolts for the rack mountings. On the right are some spare junior hacksaw blades and a tyre pressure gauge.

With the tray out you can see the latest tank design. This tank is higher than the 2012 tank - which did present a small problem because I started work on Bumble, but more of that in a minute.

I measured the vertical clearance between the brake pipe union and the top of the tank.

Just under 2.25 inches - 5.5cm. That should be enough.

These two protruding nuts and bolt ends get in the way of the tool tray. There are two more on the other side.

Look closely - I decided to make this tool tray in two halves with a centre section riveted in place. This way I was able to make a start on Bumble and transfer the pieces onto the new car. I knew that it wouldn't be the same, but I hadn't reckoned on the fuel tank being higher! I got round this by curving the rear section to lose a bit of height. Interestingly the cut outs I had made on Bumble for the upper damper mounts were not big enough. There was a good half inch difference, so I've been busy with the tin snips. It was much easier to bend these halves using timber formers in the vice, than the huge single piece of aluminium in the Mk2 version. Although I had planned to build a slave body frame to make things easier, the differences meant that it was easier to do the fitting on the car, but taking real care swinging the pieces in and out.

The rear centre panel needed a cut out for the protruding sender/pick up. This is how it started.

Eventually I got a good fit. I'll need to make a cover.

This is the underside. Now riveted into a single piece. I've used double sided tape between the overlaps to seal it.

Final test fit of the day.

That's all for now. I have a few days at work and the Silverstone Classic, so it's on hold until next week.

It will need sides, covers for the damper top mounts and a diff cover. All very time consuming jobs, but so far I'm pleased how it's going.
You can see why the tool tray is so difficult to mass produce. Although Superform could easily bang them out, unless the trads can be standardised under the rear hatch, every one would need fettling before it would fit. To build tool trays as a cottage industry........... well, a good two days work and no guarantee it would fit without having access to the car.

Re: The tool tray.............. - 13/07/17 05:34 PM

Before I move on to the tool tray, here's a really simple but effective add-on to new cars by the factory. For the easy up hood.

They've added a Tenax stud each side to the frame here:

Which stops the hood flapping about if you don't use the cover:

It's so good I've added a pair to the Roadster - 3mm drill bit and take it steady.......

Re: The tool tray.............. - 13/07/17 05:42 PM

So anyway! - next I made some sides, first cardboard and then aluminium.

This is how I bent the flanges:

Then the damper mounting cover - here's the template:

Aluminium first cut:

Completed cover ready for fitting/fettling.

Coming on well - I've used pop rivets this time.

I got hold of three tin snips for this job - straight and curve left and right.

Adding a tight bend:

More to follow....................

Re: The tool tray.............. - 13/07/17 05:52 PM

In the end I cut the ends off the protruding bolts. I had to leave a cut out to allow fitting/removal of the tray.

On the nearside I decided to add extra clearance for the brake pipe and union.

Next I lined it with 3mm neoprene to inhibit rattles.

And under the diff plate and brake pipe tube.

Another test fit. The yellow leather straps are for pulling it out!

Finally I edged the flange with Mohair edging, which I happened to have on the shelf. This makes it look really smart.

Test fit of tools:

And in the car:

And that's it. A huge effort. It's the best one of the three I've made. It wouldn't fit Mr Bumble and it wouldn't fit the Roadster. The differences are minor but important. Would I do another in aluminium? Dunno, to be honest the first one in wood was much easier, looking back.

It would have been easier to build a cyberman helmet I think!!!!!

The last four images in the original post are not available. They showed my extra tunnel which allows extra space for the flexi hose, the mohair edging which I applied to the edges of the tray, and the leather coverings which I added to the tool tray swivel retainers........................
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News