Hydraulic Jack

Posted by: Biglewey

Hydraulic Jack - 23/01/19 05:30 PM

2015 Plus 4...

Being a but lazy and not going out to in the cold to measure but I am looking at a new jack (10% off at screw fix at the moment). They have several "low profile" ones which go from about 90 mm and lift to 360 mm. I would always use wood block to save my nice shiny underside and of course axle stand to save me!

Is 90 mm low enough to have room to get decent sized piece of wood in under jacking points?
Posted by: Northernmorgan

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 23/01/19 05:42 PM

Their alloy race jacks fit nicely under a Morgan...well recommended.
Posted by: Stewart S

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 23/01/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By Biglewey
2015 Plus 4...

Being a but lazy and not going out to in the cold to measure but I am looking at a new jack (10% off at screw fix at the moment). They have several "low profile" ones which go from about 90 mm and lift to 360 mm. I would always use wood block to save my nice shiny underside and of course axle stand to save me!

Is 90 mm low enough to have room to get decent sized piece of wood in under jacking points?

I’m sure it is

Mine isn’t a low profile one and is higher than that and I can get a block under when jacking up front and back
Posted by: Wirewheel

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 23/01/19 05:54 PM

“Normal” profile hydraulic jacks are ok, until you need to jack the car up as a result of a picture. That is when you will need the low profile racing jacks.
Rather than wood to protect the underbody I use ice hockey pucks.
Posted by: +8Rich

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 23/01/19 06:21 PM

Yes you'll be fine there is plenty of room for a wooden spreader block in there.
Posted by: sospan

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 23/01/19 06:25 PM

Front of car should be ok.
For the rear see DaveW posts re a jacking beam if you want both wheels up together or better access to creep under after putting axle stands in place.
I use a beam as the axle is quite a way forward for the jack to reach.
Posted by: Craig Jezz

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 23/01/19 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By Biglewey
2015 Plus 4...

I have the Halfords low profile jack, it works well with thick blocks

Posted by: BobtheTrain

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 23/01/19 09:39 PM

Is that blood on the carpet?

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 23/01/19 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By BobtheTrain

paint spillage Bob
Posted by: John V6

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 24/01/19 07:16 AM

Doesn't swmbo complain when you work on the car in the lounge?
Posted by: CooperMan

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 24/01/19 09:01 AM

Originally Posted By Craig Jezz
Originally Posted By BobtheTrain

paint spillage Bob

Tomato sauce from a nice bacon & sausage sarnie eat
Posted by: Redfate

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 24/01/19 10:16 AM

I'm sure you know that you should be very careful using a trolley jack on carpet!
The trolley should be free to move so that as the point of lift moves backwards (as the arm swings up) the trolley tends to want to move forward to stay directly under the weight. If the car cannot move and the jack is snagged on the carpet it could be dangerous!
Bottle jacks and scissor jacks just raise directly upwards, a trolley jack swings backwards on its arm as it is raised.
Posted by: Stewart S

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 24/01/19 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By John V6
Doesn't swmbo complain when you work on the car in the lounge?

laugh2

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 24/01/19 03:37 PM

Thanks for the useful replies and amusing banter. I've got to say carpet in the garage - i can tell your Morgan is spoilt....
Posted by: Button

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 24/01/19 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By Redfate
I'm sure you know that you should be very careful using a trolley jack on carpet!
The trolley should be free to move so that as the point of lift moves backwards (as the arm swings up) the trolley tends to want to move forward to stay directly under the weight. If the car cannot move and the jack is snagged on the carpet it could be dangerous!
Bottle jacks and scissor jacks just raise directly upwards, a trolley jack swings backwards on its arm as it is raised.

This is important information - HEED IT!!!!!!

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 24/01/19 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By Redfate

The trolley jack does move slightly when the car is being raised on the carpet, the arm swings as you say, and the block remains central (Block routered into the jacks lifting point)

The handbrake is off so the car also moves slightly as it’s being raised. Once it’s fully raised then the chocks go behind the rear wheels inc axel stands in place.

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 24/01/19 08:55 PM

Posted by: Arwyn Williams

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 24/01/19 10:22 PM

One consideration when buying a hydraulic jack is the availability of service parts/service kits for them.

For example, I've just repaired my 20 year old Sealey Yankee trolley jack using an off the shelf repair kit.

My neighbour has a defective three year old jack from Halfords. No repair kit available and seals of such odd ball sizes, I can't find them anywhere!!

Arwyn
Posted by: PHZI

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 27/01/19 04:36 PM

Some of these wood adaptors are impressive bits of kit. Personally, I have always used a large standard jack on my various Morgans over the years. No problem. It does have a built in rubber pad and operates well, with no slippage.
Posted by: CooperMan

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 27/01/19 06:43 PM

Craig, nice bit of woodcraft !

Re: Hydraulic Jack - 27/01/19 08:25 PM

Bought Hilka racing low profile jack. Now sorting some timber to protect her underside. Thanks for useful info.