Talk Morgan

Chrome Headlamp rings

Posted By: Chilliblu

Chrome Headlamp rings - 23/01/19 07:35 PM

Am I missing something? I removed the headlamp chrome rings to clean them up a bit and now I can't get them back on. I get the two notches at the top lined up, I can get the screw at the bottom in but they wont go flush at the bottom left side. Is there a knack to getting these back on? am i missing something to get these flush. I have tried several times without much joy. Help!!!
Posted By: Wirewheel

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 23/01/19 07:48 PM

Andy, I tend to put the top of the rim on to the lamp fitting, offset and then using extended hands on each side of the rim turn the rim round until the grub screw hole underneath, lines up.
I put little arrows of masking tape on the rim and the car body where the hole needs to line up.
I hope that helps.

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 23/01/19 08:08 PM

Thanks Ian. I have tried that. Is there just the two lugs at the top and the screw at the bottom? nothing to keep the left side in?
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 23/01/19 10:52 PM

MMC put a 4 inch strip of self adhesive molded strip of neoprene on top of mounting ring which makes outer rim a tad difficult to replace. Presumably to stop headlamp rattling around so kept them.

To replace I orientate pip on rim at top then carefully hook top of it onto the two lips oriented approx 1030 & 1330 on plastic bowl rim. Then push firmly down until it fits over locating hole at approx 1630. If needed the rim can just about be twisted to align perfectly with this hole before replacing self tapper. A bit of vaseline may help.
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 23/01/19 11:22 PM

I put a strip of masking tape over the top of the headlamp cowl and mark the position of the pip before I take the rim off.

The neoprene strip helps to stop the whistle and sometimes needs extending.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 24/01/19 07:13 AM

The neoprene stops the whistle as Dave says.
Draught excluder self adhesive tape also works

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 24/01/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By Chilliblu
Thanks Ian. I have tried that. Is there just the two lugs at the top and the screw at the bottom? nothing to keep the left side in?

Hi Andy, I cannot remember whether or not there are any additional lugs. I had the whole headlamp fitting out a couple of weeks ago doing some wiring so did not take enough notice to answer your question. If I get an opportunity to have a look in the factory tomorrow I will come back to you.
Posted By: sospan

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 24/01/19 07:11 PM

These rings are a bugger sometimes. With mine I locate the top edge and press down, push in the bottom to locate and screw on. Witness marks( masking tape/pencil) help line it up.

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 25/01/19 03:53 PM

Andy, spoke to the guys in the factory today.
There are two lugs on the top of the headlamp mount
One at 11 o’clock and the other at 1 o’clock.
The rim is lined up and the rim located on the two lugs and with the bottom screw hole.
The rim is then given a gentle bash with the heal of your hand. There is an interference fit around the headlamp mount.
Screw the bottom screw in and job done.

I hope that helps.
Send me a private message with your email address if you want me to send you the 3 photos I took this morning.
Posted By: Stringers Best Mate

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 25/01/19 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By Wirewheel
a gentle bash

That's me knackered, then..

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 25/01/19 06:59 PM

Thanks Ian. I will try this weekend. If I don't have any joy I will come back to you. They should be straightforward but I am struggling a little bit. I will let you know how I get on.
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 25/01/19 09:12 PM

Andy, spoke to the guys in the factory today.
There are two lugs on the top of the headlamp mount
One at 11 o’clock and the other at 1 o’clock.
The rim is lined up and the rim located on the two lugs and with the bottom screw hole.
The rim is then given a gentle bash with the heal of your hand. There is an interference fit around the headlamp mount.
Screw the bottom screw in and job done.

I hope that helps.
Send me a private message with your email address if you want me to send you the 3 photos I took this morning.

Good advice but try and ensure the securing hole is lined up with hole in mount before committing to a firm downward push. A small torch shone in the gap helps with this. If not quite in line the rim can be nudged round a little.

I've removed and replaced mine three or four times now but it doesn't get any easier.

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 25/01/19 09:38 PM

Richard, as I wrote before, I put markers made from masking tape to show where to line up the rim to the screw hole. My eyesight is not what it was.
Posted By: Northernmorgan

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 26/01/19 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By Stringers Best Mate
a gentle bash

That's me knackered, then..

A gentle bash on my car might send the headlight flying! 😳
Posted By: sospan

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 26/01/19 12:14 PM

That’s why I push the bottom in after locating the top on the lugs! A hard pressure by hand usually works and once you locate the screw with enough turns it holds the positon. I have to use a short stubby screwdriver though as the indicators block off anything longer. You often need special tools for a Morgan....
Posted By: Rev 4K

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 26/01/19 02:55 PM

i take the offside indicator cover off to give screw driver clearance.
marked tape certainly helps.
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 26/01/19 06:55 PM

I think the 'fit' of the latest rings is poor, my 2018 has a larger gap around than the '04 did

Does this contribute to the Mog whistle ?
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 26/01/19 08:21 PM

Possibly gives it a more bass tone? smile
Posted By: Ray

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 26/01/19 10:03 PM

My +8 had an intermittent whistle. Never new when it was going to give us a tune. The current 4/4 has been silent..,..So far.

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 27/01/19 02:16 PM

Thanks all for assistance. Got them back on eventually. It didn't help that one was slightly off shape but with a bit off brute force managed to get them back on again.

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 28/01/19 01:51 PM

Back on this headlamp ring issue again, I suspected the Mog was a poorer fit than the old Mini

So took one off each and they are clearly quite a few mm different in depth

They (obviously) have identical 11 and 1 o'clock bayonet clips and the lower screw, but the Mini ones are 'rolled' a tiny bit tighter as they are shallower in depth and this gives a better fit

Mini left, Mog right

The Mog fit is really poor, you can see the adjusters on the inner ring through the gap, when assembled
Posted By: Burgundymog

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 28/01/19 07:43 PM

When I had my Alfa Spider series 3 I swopped the H/L rims out for stainless ones, I wonder if they would fit the Morgan ????
Posted By: DaveW

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 28/01/19 09:27 PM

Morgan rims increased in depth at some stage. Later cars have deeper rims.
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 29/01/19 07:35 AM

Stainless Mini ones fit earlier cars. Not sure when the Morgan rims changed depth though.

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 08/04/19 12:24 PM

Back on the headlight rings again. One now keeps coming adrift. It is out of shape. If I want to purchase new ones what car do they come from? classic mini? I have a 2014 plus 4. I noticed Graham said rims had changed in depth.

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 08/04/19 01:42 PM

Andy, I think even on a later Mog you would just see a tiny bit more of the inner chrome bezel that screws to the actual lamp unit.

Don't buy off the web or fleaybay unless you're confident with the seller as there are some shockingly poor imports

Minispares & Minisport are both reputable and may even do the later ones (but will have zero knowledge on Mogs) & should be way more competitive than official MMC parts
Posted By: SteveT

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 08/04/19 02:18 PM

Try Holdens..i bought a pair of s/s ones..good quality..

https://www.holden.co.uk/c/electrical/lighting/stoneguards_and_rims

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 08/04/19 02:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. The Holden rings look solid at the back. The ones I currently have seem to have sections cut out to go around the lamp holder tabs?

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 09/04/19 08:18 AM

Andy, shouldn't be an actual cut-out, they are just indents gently folded inwards at approx 10 & 2 o'clock

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 09/04/19 09:20 AM

Originally Posted By CooperMan
Andy, shouldn't be an actual cut-out, they are just indents gently folded inwards at approx 10 & 2 o'clock

Yes you are correct. they are indents, but i can't find anyone selling these with indents on them. Mini ones dont seem to have these?

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 09/04/19 02:17 PM

Andy, mine have, try Minispares

http://www.minispares.com/search/classic/headlamp%20ring.aspx
Posted By: TBM

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 09/04/19 07:08 PM

Are the inner rings the same as the mini ones too? Both mine are pretty rusty and an upgrade would be good.
Posted By: MOG 615

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 09/04/19 09:22 PM

Minispares used to offer chrome rims for those who insist on originality , and stainless for those who are happy with a longer lasting product at a cheaper price , but do not suffer from OCD!

Guess which ones I went for?

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 10/04/19 08:08 AM

Originally Posted By TBM
Are the inner rings the same as the mini ones too? Both mine are pretty rusty and an upgrade would be good.

Yep, and the Seals, Bowls, etc
Posted By: TBM

Re: Chrome Headlamp rings - 13/04/19 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By CooperMan
Originally Posted By TBM

Yep, and the Seals, Bowls, etc

Thank you
© 2019 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News