Talk Morgan

A Better Afternoon

Posted By: Fat Wolfie

A Better Afternoon - 09/10/19 03:13 PM

Yesterday I posted a thread about what a disappointing morning I’d had trying to fit my luggage rack.

I spent some time looking at the responses and in particular whether the spare wheel had slipped down, and that in any event some fettling will be needed to make the rack fit.

I looked at the spare wheel and it hadn’t moved BUT I did notice that there is quite a big gap between the Cobra light and the spare. Plus the wheel was not central in the hole, it was much nearer at the bottom than the top. It was however correctly located in the spindle.

Checked out other photos and definitely other cars spare wheels are sat higher and nearer to the Cobra light than mine.

Removed the wheel and noticed that the bracket the spindle attaches to/located the wheel had slotted holes and more importantly the lower slots had the ability to slide up about half an inch, but the top slot was at the other end of its travel which would prevent the bracket being slid upwards thus locating the spare wheel nearer the Cobra light.

So I took the bracket off and after 30 or so minutes with a file I’d enlarged the top hole enough to enable the bracket to be moved upwards by a good half an inch.

I then attached the rack to the spindle, loosely, so I could then slide the bottom brackets onto the rack and hopefully attach them to the over riders.

One bracket obviously fitted easily but there was no way the second side would fit - although it was not so far adrift as it was yesterday. A bit of head scratching and I swapped the bottom locating brackets over, and low and behold, a small amount of springing into place and the rack was on joy

I then slackened off all the adjustable bits so it could settle into the best/most natural position, tightened everything up and hooray the rack was on! How easy it will be to get back on if I need to get to the spare I don’t know, I might check that out some time but not today.

Overall yesterday’s gloom has lifted - although I’m still not 100% certain that my car did actually have a father! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So sincere thanks to all who have helped, the totality of the answers gave me the confidence to keep going!
Posted By: Paul F

Re: A Better Afternoon - 09/10/19 03:21 PM

Well done you.

So often these problems are a lot easier to solve than we first think.

That’s the beauty of TM - even more effective than a hot drink and a good think.
Posted By: Deejay

Re: A Better Afternoon - 09/10/19 06:17 PM

+1
Perseverance paid off.
Very sensible move to finally slacken everything off to let it “find its feet” before finishing up.
I notice also that your second-hand rack was of the better design with the central bent finger, which allows the sidescreen bag to sit with the Morgan logo level. Not all racks were made like that. So a good buy.
Posted By: sospan

Re: A Better Afternoon - 09/10/19 07:30 PM

Just spotted this thread.....I have the identical style rack on my Plus8. The “pin mounts” for the overrider fixing points are slightly different but similar.
The central bar is hinged to help sidescreen storage.
Beware!
The end screw can work loose and could drop out and get lost.
There is a hole in it to use a tommy bar to tighten it.
Do regular checks on it..a simple tweek with your fingers will spot it coming loose.
I have put Loctite on mine as there is enough room to drop the side screen bag down from the top, parallel to the spare with a small wiggling without removing this central bar.
I first noticed the screw loose when searching for a rattle in the back.
Stainless nylocs torqued enough to secure the pivot points with slight resistance makes sure less chance of loosening but allowing easy hinging to get at the spare.
Posted By: Stewart S

Re: A Better Afternoon - 09/10/19 08:04 PM

Well done
Top job
Nothing is straight forward on a Morgan
The number of times I’ve thought ‘I’ll just just do this quick job while I’ve got half an hour’

Then 4 hours later and a trip out to a supplier to get some bits!!
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: A Better Afternoon - 10/10/19 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart S
Nothing is straight forward on a Morgan

Any addition usually requires an amount of fettling...

Re: A Better Afternoon - 10/10/19 07:32 AM

Good tips from all - I’ve not tackled much on the car but it’s never been as simple as I think it should be.

A bit like when working with a Haynes manual where the exploded view in the book looks nothing like the pile of bits that fell out on the floor...
Posted By: Rovert

Re: A Better Afternoon - 10/10/19 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fat Wolfie

A bit like when working with a Haynes manual where the exploded view in the book looks nothing like the pile of bits that fell out on the floor...

Haynes manual? Models of clarity. When i was 20 I bought a worn out Lotus Elan, with no tools, money or knowledge, and needing it running every morning it was a daft thing to do. I did lash out and buy the Lotus workshop manual for it. Step 1 on changing the water pump I recall was "remove cylinder heard and sump"

Re: A Better Afternoon - 10/10/19 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rovert
Originally Posted by Fat Wolfie

Haynes manual? Models of clarity. When i was 20 I bought a worn out Lotus Elan, with no tools, money or knowledge, and needing it running every morning it was a daft thing to do. I did lash out and buy the Lotus workshop manual for it. Step 1 on changing the water pump I recall was "remove cylinder heard and sump"

laugh2

I think my worst experience of Haynes manual was when I was 17 and helping a mate rebuild his Fantic moped engine. We removed a circlip in the transmission, and everything kind of flew out across the shed as the clip was holding some spring loaded components in.. we didn’t have many bits left over when we put it back together
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: A Better Afternoon - 10/10/19 11:00 AM

Sounds familiar(but wasn't a Fantic Motor) grin2
Posted By: HeadlessBlue

Re: A Better Afternoon - 10/10/19 01:21 PM

Well done FW!!!!
I bet you have a huge sense of achievement 👍😆 and well deserved (wish I was as practical)
HB
Posted By: John190

Re: A Better Afternoon - 11/10/19 07:58 PM

How easy it will be to get back on if I need to get to the spare I don’t know, I might check that out some time but not today.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but........if the spare wheel is needed, the central spindle should be removed and then the whole rack should hinge rearwards, away from the car and access to the spare is gained?? Bit awkward if actually being used for luggage!!
Posted By: britmog

Re: A Better Afternoon - 11/10/19 10:50 PM

Yes, that is correct. If you need to use the spare wheel then removing the small amount of luggage is a minor inconvenience!
Posted By: Deejay

Re: A Better Afternoon - 12/10/19 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by John190

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but........if the spare wheel is needed, the central spindle should be removed and then the whole rack should hinge rearwards, away from the car and access to the spare is gained?? Bit awkward if actually being used for luggage!!

Where are the hinges? Looking at your photos it looks just like mine. To get to the spare wheel, remove the spindle then lift the whole rack off its mounting pegs.
Inconvenient maybe but the least of your worries. Wait till you have to jack it up on the roadside to change wheels! This summer, I went to assist a fellow Morganeer with a wheel change and despite having the standard tool kit to hand, I found that he had secured his spare wheel against theft with a hefty bicycle wire whip and padlock. The lock was so corroded it would not release and the whip was too thick to cut without bolt croppers. So the AA had to be called. (Obviously, whoever does his annual service, does not bother to remove the wheel for inspection underneath!)
To put things in perspective, the chances that you will ever get a puncture are slim anyway.

Re: A Better Afternoon - 12/10/19 09:54 AM

Yes, the rack is one that slides onto pins on the bumper mounting bracket then screws in through the spare wheel spindle.

My fear/worry isn’t so much having to take luggage off the rack to access the spare wheel, but how much tension the rack might be under which might make putting the spindle back through the spare wheel a bit tricky. (I don’t think it’s under that much tension but no doubt any puncture will be in the dark and rain, so ideal conditions to find out really innocent)

On a slightly different note, the “bad morning” thread also mentioned difficulties I was having greasing the king pins due to lack of axle stands etc.

This morning I went down to my friendly neighbourhood garage as arranged, to use their ramp and do the job myself. (I just need to see the guy “right” at Christmas...)

Car on ramp, no problem, access to nipples, no problem. Did one side then grease gun (Wanner with flexible attachment) decided it had run out of grease doh .

I literally live 100 yards away so walked home, refilled the gun, and finished the job. Having spoken to two different people who were passing the garage and wanted to know about the Morgan, adding a good 10 minutes to the job!

But the best thing of all is that despite the issues in doing these simple jobs, I do feel a real sense of achievement and have despite grumbling really enjoyed fettling the car.

Next on the list is a trolley jack and axle stands - I am welcome to use the ramp at any time but I don’t like to impose....plus the garage isn’t open Saturday pm or Sundays..
Posted By: IcePack

Re: A Better Afternoon - 12/10/19 12:15 PM

Re the luggage rack. Be very careful lifting it off/on. A well known Morgan garage managed to damage the rear panel on my 4/4. Which required a full panel re-spray.

Re: A Better Afternoon - 12/10/19 12:21 PM

Good tip @ice pack, thanks

Hope your car has been fixed satisfactorily, very annoying for you

Re: A Better Afternoon - 12/10/19 06:26 PM

Well done (again FW)! Took a look at that link you provided on another thread-I think I recognised a lot of the roads the chap was driving his French cars on - they are all local. He seemed like a decent chap with quite a relaxed presenting style- thanks for posting (he does like his 2CVs doesn’t he)....
HB

Re: A Better Afternoon - 12/10/19 06:53 PM

Yes, I think he has a genuine enthusiasm for the mediocre :-)

The Project Invacar set is also pretty interesting

Trouble is watching his channel has rekindled a desire to have a 2CV in the stable.....but SWMBO isn’t keen as we have no more garage space. What she doesn’t know is I have feelers out for a lock up to rent in the local area. sherlock

Then once that’s rented I can move onto the next stage of acquisition (or divorce, depends how it goes rofl)

Hope the recovery is going well thumbs

Re: A Better Afternoon - 14/10/19 08:38 AM

Thanks FW. Chum of mine has acquired a v old 2CV over the last 12 months. Took some persuading of his Swmbo but he got there eventually.
One day I’m sure they will talk to each other again.... 🤣
Pain level reducing ta but feels like bit of a nerve trapped/being rubbed on by the plaster at certain angles. Could be a lot worse of course though 👍
Hope you find a lock up !!!
Will look elsewhere on TM to see if you watched the Morgan thingy with Christopher Timothy on Saturday -I guess that was somewhere near your patch....
Ciao for now old chap
HB
Posted By: jaypee

Re: A Better Afternoon - 14/10/19 03:43 PM

That's a nice sized garage ,plenty of room for a trolley jack and 2 sets of axle stands then you can get the front and back of the car off the ground.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News