Talk Morgan

Quick electrical wiring question

Posted By: Bonesie

Quick electrical wiring question - 23/02/20 06:32 AM

Chaps

I have bought a high level brake light to fit on luggage for a forthcoming trip into Europe

On my car I have the cobra head type stop light at the moment but the light I have bought is a strip LED type. Both are just two wires.
Taking off the cobra head, Any probs just plugging the LED in the existing wires ? ( I know LED have polarity ) but I dont need a fuse inline or anything do I ?
Ta

Bones
Posted By: Richard Wood

Re: Quick electrical wiring question - 23/02/20 07:28 AM

Should work fine. Just beware of chaffing wires.
Posted By: Graham, G4FUJ

Re: Quick electrical wiring question - 23/02/20 07:28 AM

Already fused with the other brake lights.
Some of the cobras used a plug and socket arrangement, though finding the correct connector type to fit with the car's wiring has proven difficult. If not, it may be worth considering fitting your own. It will make changing over high level brake lights a bit quicker.

Re: Quick electrical wiring question - 23/02/20 08:34 AM

Cool, cheers guys. I have bought some connectors so will swap the Mog ones out and add to the high level for further use.

I hate leccy stuff. I had a Volvo some years ago and re-wired a stereo. Driving through Norwich one day the dash behind the stereo caught fire. Five minutes later the car was a raging inferno !
Posted By: John V6

Re: Quick electrical wiring question - 23/02/20 09:27 AM

I made a Y shaped lead so the Cobra is on but you can then add a light on the luggage. I got the idea from Frank Lomax
Posted By: Deejay

Re: Quick electrical wiring question - 23/02/20 10:16 AM

I did same as John, above. No fear of overloading with both lights on as LEDs draw an extremely low current.
Posted By: Spanner Juggler

Re: Quick electrical wiring question - 23/02/20 10:43 AM

Although Graham is correct that the circuit is already fused because of the low current draw of your LED strip light you may want to put a very low amperage line fuse inline if you want to protect it? It should be fine but if water does ingress then it may cause an issue and it would be protected hopefully by a one or two amp radio fuse. Polarity is easy to work out just try touching the wires one way round if it doesn’t light then swap them over you won’t harm it.

Just done exactly the same job on my car with a wonderful lamp and bracket that Dave W kindly made for me.

BR
Colin

Re: Quick electrical wiring question - 23/02/20 03:31 PM

Thanks guys. Ive finished the project and .... IT WORKS !! I hate wiggly amps :-(

@JohnV6 thats a great idea ! Ive wired mine in now but I guess I could splice another connector in and hook up the cobra.
© 2020 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News