Talk Morgan

Door Locks

Posted By: IcePack

Door Locks - 24/10/20 04:40 PM

Anyone know anything about the door locks 4/4 2011 ? My passenger side is becoming difficult to turn either way. It is catching, like one of the tumblers are not moving as they should. I have lubed it and worked it, but it is still temperamental.
Looking at the parts book, no barrel is mentioned. just the whole handle. The diagram is not exploded either.
Can you get just the barrels preferably to the same key spec, or do i have to get a pair.
If you can get the barrels, how do you remove & replace a barrel.
Thanks in advance & hoping not a service agent job.
Posted By: John V6

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 04:46 PM

There was a thread on here on how to set up the barrels to a key. By I think Peter Jenks.
But why bother. I never lock the doors. You can get new handles from Melvyn Rutter & other dealers

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 04:48 PM

Agreed they are not very preventative, but was advised to use them for insurance policy. (some time ago)
Posted By: RichardV6

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 04:53 PM

Given the number of Land Rover components on a Morgan I'm tempted to suggest a barrel from same may suffice as below.

[Linked Image]

You would need to verify of course.
Posted By: Peter J

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 05:45 PM

As John has commented, there is little point locking a Morgan.
When I was insured with Gott and Wynne I was advised not to lock the door if parking hood up as should someone want to steal your radio it is a lot less expensive to replace than a slashed hood....
If the car is parked hood down locking it is pointless...
Posted By: SimonH

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 05:47 PM

I have a nagging suspicion that there may only be one or two key combinations for the door locks

The petrol cap only has one

Check that it’s not the interior lock lever having got stuck that’s not affecting the external handle

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 05:48 PM

£41 from uncle Melvyn
Door handle
Posted By: SALMO

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 06:32 PM

Hi Everyone,

What are the keys stamped?
My door lock keys are stamped WBH, as per uncle Melvyn.
Weston Body Hardware are a supplier of motor components, worth downloading the catalogue for interest.
If yours are the same I would like to think they will help you/put you in touch with a stockist. Failing that an even half decent locksmith should help.
Items are usually assembled using circlips or small pins. There are a number of small springs to get lost so diy with care.
I used to sell some of the most expensive hardware in the country but even so I wince at £41!

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 06:57 PM

That's interesting my door keys are from the classic "FS" series, the same as my 60's Land Rover hence suggestion above.

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 07:41 PM

Ah mine are WBH made in England. I see Melvyn’s door handles include the lock barrels. I wonder if that means you can not remove the barrels.
Thanks for the help.

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 08:16 PM

Usually you remove the barrel by turning with key after removing the arm that barrel operates, then withdraw. Sometimes the arms are peened on though. As can be seen the example above has operating arm held on with a screw.

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 08:22 PM

It might be worth taking the handle off and seeing if the door catch works ok.

Re: Door Locks - 24/10/20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by IcePack
Ah mine are WBH made in England. I see Melvyn’s door handles include the lock barrels. I wonder if that means you can not remove the barrels.
Thanks for the help.

Hi Ice Pack,

You can disassemble but as Richard and I have noted there are different ways of holding the item together. The WBS catalogue, however, points to a simple pin. (E&OE here!).

And, his suggestion of an “FS” spec key is correct. It is almost a standard for cheap cylinders on older cars, desks etc. There are not many differs, usually less than 100.

Now, Simon’s suggestion of only a couple of differs on Morgan’s makes sense when looked at logically. So, if anyone wants to see if this has merit I’ll start off.... my key is fs924. If there’s a bit of a consensus I’d start off buying that key (Incidentally “fs” keys are easily available, try Timpsons on the High St).

Re: Door Locks - 25/10/20 12:47 AM

Ice Pack,

Sorry, got carried away. Please ignore last sentence of my last post since it is of no use in this instance.

Re: Door Locks - 25/10/20 09:21 AM

Thanks Salmo. My foot locker (librands) is FS 928. The door locks are FS 926.
Guess I will try & remove the handle & see if it is obvious how the barrel is held in.
Posted By: Burgundymog

Re: Door Locks - 25/10/20 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by IcePack
Agreed they are not very preventative, but was advised to use them for insurance policy. (some time ago)

Bearing in mind I have never heard of a Morgan being stolen and the damage that can be caused to the roof if someone wants what is inside I have never locked mine. You should only lube locks with Graphite powder not oil as dirt clings to oil and clogs it.
Posted By: CooperMan

Re: Door Locks - 25/10/20 04:21 PM

Classic Mini's use the FS series too & don't tend to command inflated Morgan parts prices

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Body/Boot/Locks/27H9634.aspx?030301&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/lock%20set.aspx|Back%20to%20search
Posted By: Tim Crump

Re: Door Locks - 25/10/20 06:47 PM

I think most Morgans use an FS key and an internet search shows Codes run from FS001-FS099 (Volvo) and FS876 to FS955 (Most others), common on Aston Martin, British Leyland, Ford, Jaguar, and Land Rover, so for Morgan's the range should be FS876 to FS955

My 2018 +4 has FS902 for the doors and FS912 for the foot locker (Librands)

My previous 1998 +4 had similar keys but I didn't keep a record of the numbers

Came across this Lock Guide on how to find the number which may help, otherwise as previously suggested ask other Morgan owners to try their keys.

But like others I don’t lock mine.
Posted By: Paul F

Re: Door Locks - 25/10/20 08:52 PM

By pure chance, our 4/4 has exactly the same FS key number as the 1975 Mini Clubman that Mrs F owned when I first met her.

Re: Door Locks - 02/11/20 01:54 PM

Removing the handle from the door is straight forward. Removing/replacing the heavy duty circlip not easy. The door handle is one piece with the lock. A pin is visible which possibly could be drifted out, but the lock internals would have to come out in bits. The lock has 1 square “lug” that extends or withdraws. The lug was rusty & catching. I can see why the locks are sold complete with handle.
Posted By: Roady

Re: Door Locks - 02/11/20 02:22 PM

If you need door handles have a look at kit car suppliers - many of the Cobra kits use the same handles and much cheaper than Rutter's emporium
eg (not sure if they are exactly the same) https://www.europaspares.com/sm-door-handle-locking-chrome.html
© 2021 Talk Morgan - Morgan Sports Car Discussion Forum, Community and News