Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
8 registered members (bmgermany, Uther, jrt, Malcolm T, SimonOakmere, TBM, pandy, M3W55), 231 guests, and 33 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
+8Rich 178
John V6 146
Hamwich 108
Newest Topics
Brake suppliers
by TBM. 18/11/19 02:26 PM
Ferrari vs. Ferrari
by Heinz. 18/11/19 11:58 AM
Dave W. - looking forward for a second book!
by xc68anc. 17/11/19 08:47 PM
Windscreen Washer Tubing Under-Dash
by DaveW. 17/11/19 02:31 PM
spares
by rockabilly john. 17/11/19 01:18 PM
5 speeder parts wanted
by Phil Bleazey. 17/11/19 11:50 AM
New Roadster Spec at last.
by Quicksilver. 17/11/19 08:49 AM
Latest Photos
A teaser...?
Exelent Morgan weather.
TM at Haynes
Keith's 4/4 resto
New 1913 Runabout replica in progress
Newest Members
Farmer Giles, Mike pomfrett, JanBirger, esomann66, Hdnut
6760 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics36,628
Posts591,854
Members6,760
Most Online596
Nov 6th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jan 2016 - spare wheel retainers on trads. #330109
04/01/16 07:27 PM
04/01/16 07:27 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline OP
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline OP
Roadster Guru
Member of the Inner Circle

South Yorkshire
I mentioned this problem just before I clocked off on New Years Eve.

Who hasn't struggled to hold their spare in position while you get the T bar started?
Who hasn't used towels stuffed round the lower edge to hold the spare in position?
Like here:

Who hasn't ended up with an aching back after fighting the spare wheel into position?

Well, now I have a solution. grin2

This is one of those ideas from "the ether". This is when a problem seems insurmountable, when suddenly a solution presents itself, and this happened over Christmas.

If you visit the factory, there's a scrap box in the wood shop and you are invited to help yourself to an offcut. These are small cuts of ply, usually from the rear wheel arches, so curved and tapered. They are all slightly different! - but over a few visits I've accrued a few pieces which rest on a shelf in the garage.

It seemed they were a bit pointless until I started looking at what I've got and found an almost matched pair. It took a small amount of fettling, but I was able to make them into a pair. They are curved and also slightly tapered.

The plan was to fit these two pieces to the cross timber which passes under and below the spare. The problem with it, is that this cross timber is only just below the centre line of the wheel, making it harder to judge where to fit, as the width of the wheel is only just below maximum at that point. The other problem was marking the position with the wheel in place, because access is very tight. I then found that the required holes are so close to the bodywork, that drilling all the way through was very tricky. Initially I was intending to use 4m or 5m long bolts with nuts, but because of the tight access I decided to use wood screws with a dash of PVA glue. Once this was determined I drilled the timber and countersunk the screw heads.

Next I did the first test fit:

That went well, so I did the other side:

At this point I refitted the spare, but the gap was too wide by quite a margin. Made worse by the curved sidewall of the tyre. I didn't want to get the wood too close in, because then it would have been much harder to adjust it outwards, but realistically I was almost half an inch too wide each side. This was no great problem because I had intended to use a rubber buffer on the wood, but as it turned out it took four strips each side of rubber sheet, with the top one tapered.

Here's another test fit:

Because these are visible, I decided to hide them. Black paint would have worked, but to save time I used an offcut of leather. I appreciate that leather isn't especially waterproof, but when the job was finished I sprayed the whole lot with Tectyl506. The cross timber is disguised with a neoprene strip on the upper edge.

This is the completed buffer with tapered upper edge and wax coated:

And here's the wheel, now self supporting - no more towels!!!

The job took about three hours at a steady pace, and I'm very happy with the result. The next one I do will be better from the experience I gained doing this one! For once I had to drill some holes in the Roadster....smirk2 thumbs

DaveW
2005 Corsa Red Roadster S1
2016 Saffron Yellow (Narrow) Plus 4
Re: Jan 2016 - spare wheel retainers on trads. [Re: DaveW] #330112
04/01/16 07:39 PM
04/01/16 07:39 PM
Cheshire
Roger-Cheshire Offline
Charter Member
Roger-Cheshire  Offline
Charter Member

Cheshire
Impressive Dave as ever. Important that anybody sets it around a tyre with full tread rather than worn down tread.

After a few more visits to the factory you'll have enough bits of wood to build the new Morgan in your garage! laugh2

Roger

Mogless in Cheshire. Ex -2011 4/4 Sport

https://thecourtyardcheshire.com/
Re: Jan 2016 - spare wheel retainers on trads. [Re: DaveW] #330131
04/01/16 08:48 PM
04/01/16 08:48 PM
norfolk, UK
L
lowebird Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
lowebird  Offline
Talk Morgan Addict
L

norfolk, UK
Dave,
When are you finally going to publish your book of Morgan Mods?
Can I suggest a title " 50 ways with neoprene and off cuts"
toff

Here for a good time not a long time!!
Reg
Re: Jan 2016 - spare wheel retainers on trads. [Re: DaveW] #330157
04/01/16 10:57 PM
04/01/16 10:57 PM
Cumbria UK
Jays Offline
Jays  Offline

Cumbria UK
You do realise Dave that I'm now going to have to make sure that there's a good supply of curved off cuts for the TM tour!

Last edited by Jays; 04/01/16 10:58 PM.

Jays
Former Morgan owner. Gone but hopefully not forgotten!
Re: Jan 2016 - spare wheel retainers on trads. [Re: DaveW] #330160
04/01/16 11:01 PM
04/01/16 11:01 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline OP
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline OP
Roadster Guru

South Yorkshire
Yeh , bag me a couple more before 30th.....
A matched pair obviously. smirk2

DaveW
Re: Jan 2016 - spare wheel retainers on trads. [Re: DaveW] #330164
04/01/16 11:26 PM
04/01/16 11:26 PM
Perth, WA, Australia
Richard - Aus Offline
Richard - Aus  Offline

Perth, WA, Australia
Great stuff Dave but a problem avoided on the 4 seaters! smile

Richard
1976 4/4 4 Seater
Re: Jan 2016 - spare wheel retainers on trads. [Re: DaveW] #330169
04/01/16 11:41 PM
04/01/16 11:41 PM
Wales
T
Taffmog Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
Taffmog  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
T

Wales
I wish I was clever like you Dave.........

Re: Jan 2016 - spare wheel retainers on trads. [Re: DaveW] #330214
05/01/16 09:25 AM
05/01/16 09:25 AM
Suffolk
John V6 Offline
John V6  Offline

Suffolk
Dave great stuff.
Jay I have one off cut and can't joint the visit on the 30th. Seems another visit is required

JohnV6
2006 Indigo Blue Roadster S1
Re: Jan 2016 - spare wheel retainers on trads. [Re: DaveW] #330220
05/01/16 09:56 AM
05/01/16 09:56 AM
Kent
Alan Patterson Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Alan Patterson  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Kent
Nice solution, Dave.

Regards
Alan
AP08 MOG
2016 Plus 4 GDi - Mazda Soul Red Metallic
Re: Jan 2016 - spare wheel retainers on trads. [Re: DaveW] #460611
11/07/17 04:18 PM
11/07/17 04:18 PM
South Yorkshire
DaveW Offline OP
Roadster Guru
DaveW  Offline OP
Roadster Guru

South Yorkshire
Post Photobucket re-post..........................

I mentioned this problem just before I clocked off on New Years Eve.

Who hasn't struggled to hold their spare in position while you get the T bar started?
Who hasn't used towels stuffed round the lower edge to hold the spare in position?
Like here:

Who hasn't ended up with an aching back after fighting the spare wheel into position?

Well, now I have a solution. grin2

This is one of those ideas from "the ether". This is when a problem seems insurmountable, when suddenly a solution presents itself, and this happened over Christmas.

If you visit the factory, there's a scrap box in the wood shop and you are invited to help yourself to an offcut. These are small cuts of ply, usually from the rear wheel arches, so curved and tapered. They are all slightly different! - but over a few visits I've accrued a few pieces which rest on a shelf in the garage.

It seemed they were a bit pointless until I started looking at what I've got and found an almost matched pair. It took a small amount of fettling, but I was able to make them into a pair. They are curved and also slightly tapered.

The plan was to fit these two pieces to the cross timber which passes under and below the spare. The problem with it, is that this cross timber is only just below the centre line of the wheel, making it harder to judge where to fit, as the width of the wheel is only just below maximum at that point. The other problem was marking the position with the wheel in place, because access is very tight. I then found that the required holes are so close to the bodywork, that drilling all the way through was very tricky. Initially I was intending to use 4m or 5m long bolts with nuts, but because of the tight access I decided to use wood screws with a dash of PVA glue. Once this was determined I drilled the timber and countersunk the screw heads.

Next I did the first test fit:

That went well, so I did the other side:

At this point I refitted the spare, but the gap was too wide by quite a margin. Made worse by the curved sidewall of the tyre. I didn't want to get the wood too close in, because then it would have been much harder to adjust it outwards, but realistically I was almost half an inch too wide each side. This was no great problem because I had intended to use a rubber buffer on the wood, but as it turned out it took four strips each side of rubber sheet, with the top one tapered.

Here's another test fit:

Because these are visible, I decided to hide them. Black paint would have worked, but to save time I used an offcut of leather. I appreciate that leather isn't especially waterproof, but when the job was finished I sprayed the whole lot with Tectyl506. The cross timber is disguised with a neoprene strip on the upper edge.

This is the completed buffer with tapered upper edge and wax coated:

And here's the wheel, now self supporting - no more towels!!!

The job took about three hours at a steady pace, and I'm very happy with the result. The next one I do will be better from the experience I gained doing this one! For once I had to drill some holes in the Roadster....

And here's a bonus image. When I did this job on my Plus 4, I left the retainers in plain wood, which matches the clean surroundings of the clear underseal environment.......
A single strip of neoprene buffer was added to each side after fitting the spare and adjusting the gap.

DaveW

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon