Right. Two days in the garage, and lots sorted out already.
First - here's the patine from the journey home. Interesting that the paint protection film doesn't stain.
And here's Tigger in the off licence............
This is the factory buffer. It looks like 2mm standard density neoprene and as you can see it didn't last 200 miles. The paint was eroded in four places, even after such a low mileage.
I would have liked to have replaced the modern badge with a heritage Plus 4 badge but after lifting the badge, there was too much paint grooving underneath. So I added a neoprene gasket and refitted it. Interesting that the factory now use penny washers underneath with a fibre gasket. Makes good sense, but tightening down on soft paint doesn't make much sense!
Here you can see my replacement yellow leather buffers and a black leather buffer. All fixed with double sided tape, and vaselined.
Here's the bonnet rear. The hinge is fitted much further back than on my Roadster, so the brass hinge fixing is visible with the bonnet closed. So I've added some yellow leather to disguise this. Plus a black leather buffer on the bonnet - both sides.
On the bonnet corners I've added a black leather buffer - vaselined.
So now the bonnets, cowl & bulkhead are properly protected from chafing!
I applied ACF50 to the wing beading, and removed the screws from the screen to add some anti rust so they won't seize.
Then I got deflected into bling. Union Flags. Two sizes are available and the big ones look best on the bulkhead....
Hey Presto - this is the size I have on the Roadster.
Interesting also that the bonnet catch setscrews now have fibre washers between screw and paint - very sensible.
That was the end of the first day. And so to Monday.
The rear over-rider brackets are not as well finished as they were in 2005. I may have to take them off and deal with this.
And there has been a subtle change to the rear panel corners:
2016: "Not Rounded"
And so to paint protection film around the doors. Depending on how your doors fit, they can rub the paint in three places. Some cars don't have a problem. Others do.
First, the A post as shown by the arrow. I've added some paint protection film, but obviously it doesn't show up!
It's below the raised moulding.
And here where the sidescreen can rub the paint:
And a 3/4" strip along the body where the door bottom edge buts up.
I also fitted some Heart of England B post trims. Just a few minutes work per side.
I kept my Librands door keeps from Bumble, but have leather wrapped the brackets:
I also boldly added some Union Flags which I had "in stock". Bling maybe but they do look good!
Finally today I had a look at the slight knock coming up the steering column. After half an hour upside down in the footwell, and experimenting with loosening nuts and bolts, I found the source. The hole through the bulkhead is a shade too low and the column is only a few thou clear as it passes through. So flexing means that the column touches the bulkhead occasionally. Luckily the column has two flat sections, big enough to allow a needle file in, so I spent half an hour or so opening up the gap. It's now OK. Here's the gap - "before".................
And here's what the column looks like naked.
The fly by wire throttle is to the right (above in this shot).
More jobs scheduled for tomorrow.