Click here to return to the home page.
Image of a road.
Who's Online Now
13 registered members (TomS, Rog G, PhilipNZ, mph, Black Adder, SimonH, TBM, sprinty, Phil4/4, DJC, RedThree, petemog, HJP), 211 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
John V6 328
TBM 211
+8Rich 203
Newest Topics
Watch point reversing light corrosion
by John V6. 29/11/20 04:30 PM
Aerosol paint for Morgans
by Richard Wood. 29/11/20 01:25 PM
How many cheeses in your fridge ?
by +8Rich. 29/11/20 12:33 PM
Tyre age and renewal
by Neil49. 28/11/20 09:54 PM
Oil pressure
by M2AERO. 28/11/20 06:46 PM
1997 Plus 8 tickover
by Phil+8. 28/11/20 04:22 PM
Iridium spark plugs
by Jads. 28/11/20 03:42 PM
Latest Photos
More November Sun...
November Sun
Is this a 4 to 3 wheeler conversion?
Sunday Trip Out
Newest Members
E.Gumiero, Grump, Fjmorgan, KJD, Mike Woodroffe
7255 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics39,951
Posts662,524
Members7,255
Most Online1,033
Dec 28th, 2019
Today's Birthdays
Nicko
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Can Roger’s Bump Stops fit a 1994 +8? #669785
29/10/20 03:27 PM
29/10/20 03:27 PM
Staffordshire UK
Calypso Red Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On
Calypso Red  Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On

Staffordshire UK

Oh no they can’t,… Oh yes they can!

Roger’s Bump Stops are usually straight forward to fit. See Roger’s instructions on this page Here and DaveW’s experience Here The bump stops are fitted to the rear shock absorber hoop.

In 1993 the +8 rod operated handbrake was replaced by a cable attached to the rear of the hoop until about 1996. The cables loop forward under the bend of the hoop before going down to the brake drums. The installation of the Stops on the off side is not a problem; there is plenty of room to move the hand brake cable out of the way. The problem is with the near side. The cable is just where the Bump Stop should be mounted. There is not enough slack in the cable to move it out of the way or change its direction.

[Linked Image]

The sheaths of the near side and off side hand brake cables are attached to two brackets at the rear of the shock absorber mounting hoop with the adjuster in-between. This picture shows the two rear mountings, the cable has been removed from the near side mount. (Top centre of picture)

I decided to try and mount both cables in front of the hoop and let the cables travel in front of the Stops to the brake drums.

[Linked Image]

I made two identical plates with holes no. 1 & 2 drilled for a U bolt to attach each plate to the hoop. Hole no. 3 allows the brake cable sheaths to be anchored to the plates using the original imperial fixings. Hole no. 4 is used to bolt each plate to its original mounting bracket for additional stability. This also keeps the cable mountings the original distance apart which keeps the hand brake adjustment about the same as the original. In addition to being in front of the hoop, the anchor point at hole no. 3 moves the cable about an inch towards the off side and a bit lower than the original fixing.

I actually used two plates and a reinforcing strip on each side because I was working with mild steel ( washing machine casing) which would not stand much tightening of the U bolts without bending. I intend to replace these plates with one each side of better quality material.
The whole set up with the adjuster is shown in the picture below.

[Linked Image]

The off side cable sheath passes naturally in front of the Bump Stop and is cable tied onto the hoop. Where the main hand brake cable emerges from the transmission tunnel I moved it a bit to the near side with a new retaining clip so it cleared the differential.

[Linked Image]

The above picture shows the near side cable going over the front of the Bump Stop.

[Linked Image]

This shows the underneath view of the plate bolted to the original bracket with a long nut and some locking nuts.

My first outing was for a MOT test which was passed with no problems. I then headed for some sleeping policemen as a road test. I initially set the Bump Stops at 38mm and they are currently on 36mm with excellent results. No more crashing and banging from the rear when running over the policemen! These bump stops are certainly worth fitting.

Witness marks. I learnt a trick years ago doing archery. If you spray aerosol spray powder for athlete’s foot on to the side of an archery bow and shoot your arrows, the powder is rubbed off where the arrows touch the bow.
I sprayed a light dusting of powder on to the top surface of the springs and found some nice witness marks on return from my test drives. Wipe the powder off between tests; it does not give a good witness with a thick coating of powder.

[Linked Image]
Before
[Linked Image]
After

PS. No other Bump Stops are available.
PPS. I have no financial interest in anything, anywhere, anytime.

Calypso Red
1994 +8 BMW Calypso Red.
2002 4/4 4 seater BMW Calypso Red.
Re: Can Roger’s Bump Stops fit a 1994 +8? [Re: Calypso Red] #669818
29/10/20 05:12 PM
29/10/20 05:12 PM
London
MOG 615 Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast
MOG 615  Offline
Talk Morgan Enthusiast

London
Great engineering skills and no small amount of perseverance there.

Don't know if I am preaching to the converted here , but the reason for the change in the handbrake operating mechanism was a couple (or more?) high profile cases where Morgans had been rear-ended. The later investigations showed that the brake rods and "turret" became detached from the axle, and the (now bare) spigot pierced the fuel tank. At least one of these incidents resulted in a very serious fire.

I must think that the change was rolled out across the entire range of trads.

Andy G
1999 +8 , Indigo Blue.
Ex-John McKecknie/Mike Duncan 1955 +4 racer.
Re: Can Roger’s Bump Stops fit a 1994 +8? [Re: Calypso Red] #669925
30/10/20 09:14 AM
30/10/20 09:14 AM
Staffordshire
IvorMog Offline
Has a lot to Say!
IvorMog  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Staffordshire
Great work as usual Colin.

How come you always tackle the complicated jobs? Maybe just change the light bulbs next time!!!

I guess I'll have another world exclusive in about 6 months time. hide

Bob

1999 4/4 2 litre Zetec
Re: Can Roger’s Bump Stops fit a 1994 +8? [Re: Calypso Red] #669958
30/10/20 11:39 AM
30/10/20 11:39 AM
Sumerset
Rog Offline
Has a lot to Say!
Rog  Offline
Has a lot to Say!

Sumerset
Originally Posted by Calypso Red
I actually used two plates and a reinforcing strip on each side because I was working with mild steel ( washing machine casing)

What an ingenious little conversion and Colin has kindly let me have the dimensions for his plates. The next time that I have a batch of bump stop brackets laser cut I will add some of these plates using the same 6mm stainless. It may just help somebody with an early damper hoop car from getting into trouble who’s thinking of taking an angle grinder to the rear casing of the washing machine to liberate some material....

Roger
2011 Plus 4
Re: Can Roger’s Bump Stops fit a 1994 +8? [Re: Calypso Red] #670096
30/10/20 11:44 PM
30/10/20 11:44 PM
Staffordshire UK
Calypso Red Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On
Calypso Red  Offline OP
L - Learner Plates On

Staffordshire UK
Having sourced washing machine parts for a handbrake conversion, it puts a different slant on "Darling, I'm just nipping out for a quick spin in the Morgan" swmbo innocent

Calypso Red
1994 +8 BMW Calypso Red.
2002 4/4 4 seater BMW Calypso Red.
Re: Can Roger’s Bump Stops fit a 1994 +8? [Re: Rog] #670103
31/10/20 07:38 AM
31/10/20 07:38 AM
Northern Germany
bmgermany Offline
Talk Morgan Regular
bmgermany  Offline
Talk Morgan Regular

Northern Germany
Originally Posted by Rog
Originally Posted by Calypso Red
I actually used two plates and a reinforcing strip on each side because I was working with mild steel ( washing machine casing)

What an ingenious little conversion and Colin has kindly let me have the dimensions for his plates. The next time that I have a batch of bump stop brackets laser cut I will add some of these plates using the same 6mm stainless. It may just help somebody with an early damper hoop car from getting into trouble who’s thinking of taking an angle grinder to the rear casing of the washing machine to liberate some material....

Roger

Excellent service again - perhaps fantastic help describes it better thumbs

2005 4/4 1800ccm Duratec and a lot of HONDA CX500.......

Moderated by  Aeroman, Simon